Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th August 2011, 17:33   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Romancing the British Raj Legacies - Punalur - Shenkottai Meter Gauge Rail Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Mysticeyes,
Beautiful. I can almost smell the place.
A request - the snap of the moldy bench in perpetual wait...could you please sepia tint it and repost ? That should get the goosebumps going again !
here its
Name:  DSC_0088.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  469.3 KB
Romancing the British Raj Legacies - Punalur - Shenkottai Meter Gauge Rail Trail-dsc_0062.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Fantastic thread!! Makes you feel as if you are in that era , you can almost hear the steam engines, bells and sounds of a meter gauge station. Super photography too, you have covered everything.

And oh, I wish the government would do something to keep the old British legacies still alive.
I'm not able to come off from the trip even now. There was an old malayalam song (in a movie released in 1976). the context is of a lover crooning about the mystic romance creeping in through him. I could equate the same song for the unexplainable pull in my mind to the meter gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Nice tribute to the Punalur - Shenkottai Meter Gauge Rail
Pics are just awesome capturing the present & past

I always wanted to visit the place and had an opportunity after attending a friend's wedding at punalur , but only managed to see kannara bridge. This thread has made me think of planning a drive to here soon to visit rest of places
nice of you to bump in CB.I've been keeping a regular track of your postings in the 'supercars in kerala'. how about a roundup in trivandrum? nutty nair also got 'fire in belly' now for similar trip
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 18:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Romancing the British Raj Legacies - Punalur - Shenkottai Meter Gauge Rail Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
here its
Hi Mysticeyes,

Fantastic. Phew !
Gets that feeling in the pit of the stomach going again. Amazing what nostalgia can do to you.
Many, many thanks Mysticeyes - this and some of the other snaps - saved for keeps !

Last edited by Guderian : 7th August 2011 at 18:25.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 04:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
nice of you to bump in CB.I've been keeping a regular track of your postings in the 'supercars in kerala'. how about a roundup in trivandrum? nutty nair also got 'fire in belly' now for similar trip
tracking my posts ha ha ,i would say its the imports in kerala thread that got me into t-bhp

Sure,we can plan for a meet soon during onam

nutty chettan always have a fire in belly for such trips but seems like he is busy nowadays with his new ventures
crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:01   #34
AVR
BHPian

Beautiful writeup. Small-town now-defunct and even existing railway stations have a charm of their own.

In Rajasthan, its very typical of the old-man manning the station/crossing to be wearing a red-turban and a dark-khakhi shirt with epaulets and a dhoti. Just an awesome remnant of the past. Everytime I travel through these stations I am very tempted to get down and hang out there. But such is life that there's always somewhere to reach. One of these days, I am going to do that.
AVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 12:36   #35
BHPian

All the pictures are nostalgic, i am sure these metre guage lines will be eventually be converted to broad guage. I believe one more line through the forest ranges of palghat for transporting log of woods was laid, which still survives. Thanks Mystic eyes for the pics and description
ukderebail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 20:26   #36
Team-BHP Support

@Mysticeyes, one from my side.

One of the few functional, narrow gauges.
No need to mention the place. Every one knows!

Name:  DSC02414.jpg
Views: 3321
Size:  570.8 KB
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Mysticeyes, one from my side. One of the few functional, narrow gauges. No need to mention the place. Every one knows!
Nice picture! I am addicted to this thread since beginning, possibly because I had the opportunity of travelling in this Punalur-Shenkottai Meter Gauge section. I am still overjoyed by the beauty of this line!
Now, please pardon my ignorance and please do not treat me as too inquisitive, which line is this?
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:53   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Now, please pardon my ignorance and please do not treat me as too inquisitive, which line is this?
The one and only: Ooty railway station.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:07   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The other one is closure to you. NJP-Darjeeling.
I had the fortune of traveling on both, but not the Punalur line.

Mods: Sorry I thought I was editing the previous post and wrongly added a new post. Please merge the two.
Sorry again for the slip.

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2011 at 23:08.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:17   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice log. Thanks for sharing.

Being in Trivandrum for such a long time I was not able to do a single ride in this nostalgic route. Recently on my drive I could see the Kanara bridge and its beauty. I read about Nutty's trip in this route in his Trivandrum log.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:47   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
All the pictures are nostalgic, i am sure these metre guage lines will be eventually be converted to broad guage. I believe one more line through the forest ranges of palghat for transporting log of woods was laid, which still survives. Thanks Mystic eyes for the pics and description
if its the palakkad-pollachi route, then the conversion is being done in the same route now

Quote:
@Mysticeyes, one from my side.
One of the few functional, narrow gauges.
No need to mention the place. Every one knows!
thank you ampere

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Nice picture! I am addicted to this thread since beginning, possibly because I had the opportunity of travelling in this Punalur-Shenkottai Meter Gauge section. I am still overjoyed by the beauty of this line!
one more lucky chap who could travel in the route

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Nice log. Thanks for sharing.

Being in Trivandrum for such a long time I was not able to do a single ride in this nostalgic route. Recently on my drive I could see the Kanara bridge and its beauty. I read about Nutty's trip in this route in his Trivandrum log.
could see that you 'had' RX 100 once upon a time. This route can best be enjoyed in the sedate regal rides in RX. You know, ambling in 4th gear at 30-35km/hr

if ever the Cambridge Dictionary searched for an image to represent a case of 'gone to the dogs'..
Name:  DSC_0599.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  410.3 KB

scenes in bhagavathipuram - shenkottai stretch.
Name:  DSC07593.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  506.9 KB

Name:  DSC07703.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  549.2 KB

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 8th August 2011 at 23:48.
Mysticeyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 06:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Mysticeyes - In one word, AWESOME! Keep it coming man. As of now, I am glued to this thread. Your write-up, the snaps, the railway stations, the 13 pillar bridge, the adjacent road, the fields and everything in this thread literally makes me feel as if I am traveling in this stretch right now, sitting in the comfort of my bedroom.

Sadly, I have only lusted after but have never traveled in this beautiful stretch even once. Nevertheless, this thread turns me nostalgic and takes me back to those times when I traveled a lot in the MG Pallavan Express and Rockfort Express between Trichy and Chennai. Thanks for bringing those sweet childhood memories man.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 13:56   #43
BHPian

Punalur is the town where my grandparents live and I lived there for closed to 4 years (1980-1984), studied in a school there named Mary Giri Vidya Mandir. The school was next to the Railway station and had to cross the railway signal everyday. Have been on this railway track multiple times to Shenkottai. The trips were either to Courtalam falls or to buy things across the state due to low tax in Tamil Nadu.

I remember my BSA-SLR cycle was bought from Tenkasi for some Rs 775/- in 1987 in this train. It used to cost over Rs.1100 in Punalur town due to high taxes in Kerala.

I normally visit Punalur twice an year.

Last edited by Tommie : 10th August 2011 at 14:02.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 15:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to nitpick but Metupalaym - Ooty track is MG
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 15:21   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Sorry to nitpick but Metupalaym - Ooty track is MG
Sorry that was typo.
I did mean meter gauge and not narrow gauge.
Thanks for correcting it.