Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th August 2011, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakles

Super duper pics Fauji.
Believe it .. this is the BEST of the Best seasons to visit Malnaad.

Frankly, the pics are a bit over saturated.

Next time when you go over there let me know, shall suggest you another good Homestay.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 12:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am sure the road from Sakleshpura to Somwarpet/Madikeri via Shanivarasanthe must be equally beautful.

Has anyone been on the Sakleshpura-Subramanya railway line trek?
Yes sir, it is a beautiful drive but for the bad roads.

I've been on the railway line trek a couple of years back. I did the trek upto Yedakumari Railway Station and from there, we trekked uphill to a village called Kaginahare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
However, it will be risky to attempt Bisle ghat in sedan which i heard though not very bad has bad patches.

Try and club Sakleshpur with Coorg as they are closeby.
Believe me sir, the road is bad, very very bad. I traveled on Bisle ghat road this March (in a Scorpio) and it was in a pathetic condition. But once you enter Dakshina Kannada district (a few kms before Kukke Subramanya) the road is good.

Btw, Fauji sir, do you remember near which place/village did you see the Hemavathi Backwaters?

You can find some more pictures from around Sakleshpur in the below travelogue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...aginahare.html (Unplanned weekend trips to Sringeri-Agumbe & Kaginahare)

Last edited by addyhemmige : 10th August 2011 at 12:45.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 12:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fauji, you are the best ambassador the Malnad region never had, despite that it looks like every place in Europe should be called the Malnad of Europe!!
Thanks HVK for kind words. These places are just awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@Fauji - Lovely snaps. I almost missed the thread as i did not read the whole title.

Beast in the Mist looks awesome and wonderful lush greenery.
Thanks Amit. We people in Bangalore and Pune are blessed are mountains are only couple of ours drive away and they look best in Monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Super duper pics Fauji.
Believe it .. this is the BEST of the Best seasons to visit Malnaad.

Frankly, the pics are a bit over saturated.
Thanks Sushrutha. Yes, you said it right. This is the best time to be in malnad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Yes sir, it is a beautiful drive but for the bad roads.

Btw, Fauji sir, do you remember near which place/village did you see the Hemavathi Backwaters?

Addy, it is near Kodlipet.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 22:59   #19

I and my friend have driven from Sakleshpur to KukkeSubramanya via Bisle Ghat around summer of this year. There is a view point called "Beauty Spot" (I think) and it provides an unparalleled complete foot to peak view of the Pushpagiri/Kumara Parvata. At the view point, if one can see the valley of the Bisleghat without losing even a bit of their composure, he should go and treat themselves in the most expensive hotel in his town. The road in the bisle ghat section is really bad. The last section, a few kms are brand new tar road surrounded by pure bamboo forest. While this road may not be of good quality to humans, it is actually marked as a State Highway by the elephants in their mental maps.
sae90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 09:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sae90 View Post
I and my friend have driven from Sakleshpur to KukkeSubramanya via Bisle Ghat around summer of this year. There is a view point called "Beauty Spot" (I think) and it provides an unparalleled complete foot to peak view of the Pushpagiri/Kumara Parvata. At the view point, if one can see the valley of the Bisleghat without losing even a bit of their composure, he should go and treat themselves in the most expensive hotel in his town. The road in the bisle ghat section is really bad. The last section, a few kms are brand new tar road surrounded by pure bamboo forest. While this road may not be of good quality to humans, it is actually marked as a State Highway by the elephants in their mental maps.
Yes, it is called the Bisle Beauty Spot. We can see forest ranges from 3 districts (Hassan, Kodagu & Dakshina Kannada) join here. I guess Laluks has posted a picture of this place in some other thread. Bisle has a very good population of elephants. I guess you would have seen some 'dung' as evidence. It would not be wrong to term the route as an elephant super highway

Check this link for pictures of the beauty spot
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1552280 (Swifted : Bisle, Belur, Halebid, Chikmagalur, Kemmangundi)

Last edited by addyhemmige : 12th August 2011 at 09:49.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 12:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Fauji, you are the best ambassador the Malnad region never had
+1 to that!
Wonderful drive and pics again Fauji Sir. Just love your green misty pics in all your TLs!
I so look forward to your TLs and great that we are getting so many of them

Quote:
Yes sir, I have done this trek in 2009. We camped at yedukumeri station and continued from there next morning.
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 12:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
.......Has anyone been on the Sakleshpura-Subramanya railway line trek?
I have been on that railway line trek. Three guys, on 31st December. It was some 4 years ago and the railway line was still being upgraded. We spent too much time at one river spot over lunch that it was dark before we could reach half way (platform somewhere in the middle - from Figo United's post, it must have been yedukumeri station) and so spent the night there (slept very cold - woke up very warm - due to the stray dogs lying next to us hahaha!!!). Next morning, took one train engine ride down to subramaniam. What an experience.

Off topic: that was the night in so many years that I passed out/slept before 10 pm without even a single drop of alcohol

Last edited by gtonsing : 12th August 2011 at 12:30.
gtonsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 11:09   #23

I was in the Sakleshpur area last week as well. At a friends place called Tusk and Dawn, near Hanbal, 20 kms from Sakleshpur. Its offroader centric and they have some great routes even if you dont have a 4wd. They also have a couple of jeeps that can take you around for really memorable drive up the hills and meadows.
Attached Images

chetan68 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 12:46   #24
BHPian

Last two pics are just AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 04:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Fauji, you are the best ambassador the Malnad region never had, despite that it looks like every place in Europe should be called the Malnad of Europe!!

Yes, Sakleshpur is lovely and cool during the rains and I am sure that the MUgilu hospitality must have been a warm experience.

Good to see the roads in pretty good shape even now - pity you could not do Bisle Ghats!

I am sure the road from Sakleshpura to Somwarpet/Madikeri via Shanivarasanthe must be equally beautful.

I have watched this beautiful stretch many times. Never been on a trek though. Here is the stretch.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...akleshpur.html
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 07:01   #26
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@Fauji sir, as usual superb thread and lovely pictures ! You really are the Malnad Ambassador
Thanks again for your help in planning my trip to Mangalore (we had to make some changes due to some unexpected events/situations but will definitely go back once again in a few months).
During our drive to Mangalore, it started raining just as we were near Sakleshpura and I immediately remembered your Malnad monsoon travelogues - some pics here:

Name:  Rain1.JPG
Views: 3062
Size:  155.4 KB

Name:  Rain2.JPG
Views: 2634
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  Rain3.JPG
Views: 5308
Size:  125.9 KB

Last edited by NPV : 17th August 2011 at 07:03.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 22:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan68 View Post
I was in the Sakleshpur area last week as well. At a friends place called Tusk and Dawn, near Hanbal, 20 kms from Sakleshpur. Its offroader centric and they have some great routes even if you dont have a 4wd. They also have a couple of jeeps that can take you around for really memorable drive up the hills and meadows.
Hey Chetan, these are really nice pictures and thanks for sharing. The picture of Scorpio climbing the meadows looks lovely What is your opinion about "Tusk and Dawn"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@Fauji sir, as usual superb thread and lovely pictures ! You really are the Malnad Ambassador
Hey Narayan, Thanks for your feed back and nice to know that you had a a good trip. Ofcourse, it is lovely when it rains in Malnad.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Hey Chetan, these are really nice pictures and thanks for sharing. The picture of Scorpio climbing the meadows looks lovely What is your opinion about "Tusk and Dawn"?

Hey Narayan, Thanks for your feed back and nice to know that you had a a good trip. Ofcourse, it is lovely when it rains in Malnad.
Tusk and Dawn is a well located place . Its an off roader destination as you probably already know. Its also the mid point for a lot of OTR. They are also involved in the route setting so know some really good tracks.
It belongs to a close friend. Check them out at their website. The offroading starts the minute you get into your vehicle. The food and rooms are good enough too. Will keep you posted 'cause a friend and I wanna go in the next few weeks. The more the merrier...
chetan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan68 View Post
Tusk and Dawn is a well located place . Its an off roader destination as you probably already know. Its also the mid point for a lot of OTR. They are also involved in the route setting so know some really good tracks.
It belongs to a close friend. Check them out at their website. The offroading starts the minute you get into your vehicle. The food and rooms are good enough too. Will keep you posted 'cause a friend and I wanna go in the next few weeks. The more the merrier...
Hi Chetan,

thanks for your feedback. Does it also mean that the resort wlll also provide 4X4 vehicles for off roading in nearby places we dont have our own?
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 09:12   #30

Not really. They will take people for a good drive in their 4wd. I am not sure but they may let one drive a bit, if one is nice!
However, if a serious group with their own 4wds checks in they will invite a couple of near by offroaders (with their 4wds) experienced with the local terrain and tracks to join, making it a private OTR. It can be arranged.
BTW, this years Mahindra Great Escape is starting and ending in T&D, Sep 10th, 2011. Are you going? I cant, because of a prior engagement in nearby Coorg.
chetan68 is offline   Reply With Quote