Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th August 2011, 23:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur

“Is this Europe”? We were confused as we stopped and looked around during this weekend drive in another part of Malnad. You will find out the answer by looking at the pictures. We were mesmerized again in Malnad! Literally - by the mind-blowing vistas of misty meadows. We were zapped beyond words at the beauty of the landscape which looked like Europe. This was in our own back yard – Sakleshpur!!

Only time we passed Sakleshpur was while going to Mangalore from Bangalore. We had never been to this place par se and had no expectation. Our plan was to spend the weekend in Mugilu, the cute little home stay run by fellow BHPians Chandan and Sapna ( www.mugilu.com ) and explore the place around – specially a drive in Bisle ghat.

We left Bangalore at 8.30 AM and were there in Mugilu by 12 noon – thanks to good condition of NH 48. It started raining heavily and after an excellent lunch we headed to Bisle Ghat exploring the backwaters of Hemavathi reservoir on the way. Chandan had told us about the beautiful backwaters. As we moved towards Bisle, we were awestruck on seeing some of the best meadows in South India. It was a wow moment for us and we felt as if we were in European countryside!

We would like to share it with you.

The first sight of what was in store!

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0716.jpg

Mindblowing vistas of green meadows - Doesn't it look like Europe?

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0718-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0734-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0721-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0724-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0735-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0740-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0741-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0742-ppp.jpg

The picturesque backwaters of Hemavathi - A huge expanse of water

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0725-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0727-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0729-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0730-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0733-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0736-ppp.jpg

The beast in familiar surroundings!

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0749-ppp.jpg

The Mist filled road

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0750-ppp.jpg

Spectacular landscape in the region

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0746-ppp.jpg

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0751-ppp.jpg

Ladies going around their job as usual in fields...

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0745.jpg

....And kids, ready to play cricket in the rain!

Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakleshpur-dsc_0753.jpg

It started raining heavily and the road to Bisle turned very foggy. We received a message that my grand ma had taken ill and admitted in ICU - she had been ailing for some time. We had to return home cutting short the drive, promising Chandan that we will be back again.

What we saw in our short drive looked like a nice trailer, an invitation to go back again.

Yes, Sakleshpur, we will definitely come back!

PS - This was what we could see from the road. Chandan says that the place is much more beautiful when you hike or cycle or go by jeep. You bet. It should be!!

Last edited by Fauji : 8th August 2011 at 09:42.
Fauji is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 17:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakles

Note from Support: Thread moved to Travelogues section from Assembly line. Thanks for sharing
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 21:06   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Fauji's Drivologues - Mesmerised in Malnad again! -Amidst Misty meadows of Sakles

Thanks for sharing! The destination sure looks beautiful! So much so that I want to go there the weekend after next. The plan is to leave early saturday morning and return on sunday evening.

Could you share directions? I'm severely challenged when it comes to remembering routes, so will depend heavily on a GPS. What route should I take?
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 21:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Thanks for sharing! The destination sure looks beautiful! So much so that I want to go there the weekend after next. The plan is to leave early saturday morning and return on sunday evening.

Could you share directions? I'm severely challenged when it comes to remembering routes, so will depend heavily on a GPS. What route should I take?
Thanks Tassem.

The route is Bangalore - Nelamangala - Kunigal - Bellur cross - Channarayapatna - Hassan - Sakleshpur. It is straight on NH 48. There are byepasses for Hassan and Kunigal and you don't have to enter these towns. The road till Bellur cross is four laned and after that it is double lane. The road condition through out is excellent.

Google Maps

I am not sure where you have booked your stay. If you can let me know, i can further guide you.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:37   #5
BHPian

Fauji you have got me hooked!!the photos are making me to seriously consider a trip to Sakleshpur!

How are the condition of the roads in and around the area you visited?i mean can i take a sedan safely there?

I am planning to go sometime in September.i will decide on accommodation later!

Thanks!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 22:54   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply Fauji.

The route plan will really help me. I haven't zeroed in on a place of stay yet. I want to take my team from work there. So it has to be affordable. Usually my wife and I will visit the place first on a personal trip and do our recon work. If it fits the bill, I'll take my team next.

What places do you suggest?
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Fauji - You are reminding me of the wet drive I had towards Sakleshpur, Bisle, Kukke. Those areas are so green and in monsoons they are just heavenly.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 10:49   #8
BHPian

Fauji,
Once again superb snaps, & heavenly location. Will you post some more pictures please?
B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 14:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
“Is this Europe”? We were confused as we stopped and looked around during this weekend drive in another part of Malnad.
=============
PS - This was what we could see from the road. Chandan says that the place is much more beautiful when you hike or cycle or go by jeep. You bet. It should be!!

Thats an excellent weekend trip!!! Been here Fauji sir, climbed the mountains and hit the track too!! Indeed Sakleshpur is an amazing place. While you were there you could have explored the Munjrabaad fort (THE Tiger built it) and walked over a few bridges on the nearby rail track too!!
DieselDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Fauji you have got me hooked!!the photos are making me to seriously consider a trip to Sakleshpur!

How are the condition of the roads in and around the area you visited?i mean can i take a sedan safely there?

I am planning to go sometime in September.i will decide on accommodation later!

Thanks!
Hey Carfreak,

The roads are in pretty good condition even after heavy rains. Yes you can definitely bring sedan. However, it will be risky to attempt Bisle ghat in sedan which i heard though not very bad has bad patches.

Try and club Sakleshpur with Coorg as they are closeby.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 15:16   #11
BHPian

Fauji, Excellent pics there had you been to the Hettur route .. you must drive to bisle ghat from Sakaleshpur.

Did you go to mujarabad forte in sakaleshpur(10km) its a wonderful place.

Being there is Hassan for 10 years ( studies and my first job at MCE) and have traveled every route around sakaleshpur. The joy that you get can not just be explained.

Oh.. yes.. I loved every ride I did in rains in these places... IMHO More than car a bike ride will give the sheer joy of being in malnad

Thanks for bringing back the old memories... Am planning to go there this weekend...

Hemavathi reservoir is about to get full and anytime they may release the water to the river..

Its wonderful to be there driving/riding with friends during this time

Regards
Ravi
ravikn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 16:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures,nobody really stops by in sakleshpur,I am sure your pictures are going to increase stopovers in Sakleshpur!
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 22:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Fauji - You are reminding me of the wet drive I had towards Sakleshpur, Bisle, Kukke. Those areas are so green and in monsoons they are just heavenly.
You said it right, Lalu. It is just heavenly to be in these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Fauji,
Once again superb snaps, & heavenly location. Will you post some more pictures please?
Thank you Rao sir. It was a a short drive and we could not go further on Bisle and hence very limited pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Thats an excellent weekend trip!!! Been here Fauji sir, climbed the mountains and hit the track too!! Indeed Sakleshpur is an amazing place. While you were there you could have explored the Munjrabaad fort (THE Tiger built it) and walked over a few bridges on the nearby rail track too!!
Diesel Destiny,

All these were planned but due to unfortunate emergency at home, we had to return. We will definitely return to explore the place.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 23:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Fauji, you are the best ambassador the Malnad region never had, despite that it looks like every place in Europe should be called the Malnad of Europe!!

Yes, Sakleshpur is lovely and cool during the rains and I am sure that the MUgilu hospitality must have been a warm experience.

Good to see the roads in pretty good shape even now - pity you could not do Bisle Ghats!

I am sure the road from Sakleshpura to Somwarpet/Madikeri via Shanivarasanthe must be equally beautful.

Has anyone been on the Sakleshpura-Subramanya railway line trek?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 07:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Fauji - Lovely snaps. I almost missed the thread as i did not read the whole title.

Beast in the Mist looks awesome and wonderful lush greenery.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote