Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th September 2011, 22:45   #76
BHPian

Default Re: An Unlikely Pair (Safari & Gypsy) do a 6600km circuit Mumbai – Srinagar- Leh - Mu

Amazing amazing write up! Discovered this side of you today!... spent a good 2 hrs reading it from the start!

BTW loved the title FOB. I think we should create a logo on that theme for our 3 Gypsies what say Nev?

Cheers!

Last edited by Rossi : 13th September 2011 at 22:47.
Rossi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 09:58   #77
BHPian

Default Re: An Unlikely Pair (Safari & Gypsy) do a 6600km circuit Mumbai – Srinagar- Leh - Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
BTW loved the title FOB. I think we should create a logo on that theme for our 3 Gypsies what say Nev?

Cheers!
Yes sounds like a good idea .
satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 11:17   #78
BHPian

A few pending videos from Rohtang

77huawei's Channel - YouTube

Old 15th September 2011, 12:40   #79
Senior - BHPian

That was a wonderful detailed account of the Ladakh drive. Thanks, Neville!
I was getting some updates from Jay on his drive and your spring leaves (!!) and we were probably within some 30-50 kms of each other as you stayed at Bilaspur and we were crossing Panchkula/Chandigarh on our own trip to Ladakh.

You missed some lovely parts of Ladakh by not going on to Pensi La/Padum and Chushul/Hanle, but I guess you had a great time nonetheless. We had the same route plan as you had (South to North though), and we did all the sectors.

We took the Bhatinda-Hanumangarh highway on our return, and we found that you can escape the terrible road sections around Mandi Dabwali by going via Abohar instead of Bhatinda.

My Scorpio broke 3 of its leaf springs in its journey to Zanskar Valley, but we were not as lucky as you were - I had to take a detour into Leh (breaking my Wari la-Pangong drive), and since it was a Sunday, neither ASC nor shops were open, so I found a phaata wala with difficulty and got the broken pieces welded!

The Maruti & M&M have a combined ASC (official or unofficial, I don't know) which is why you found more M&M vehicles there. I have visited the ASC many times (during all my visits) and I generally found them competent and quick, it is unfortunate that you had to drum up a ruckus to get service.

Must commend your patience for getting the permits direct at DC's Office, we let an agent do it since we were a very large group. You guys were also lucky to get permits for Fukche-Demchok - we were denied that sector probably because of the recent Chinese incursions which probably happened after Jay visited Fukche and rolled out the red carpet for the Reddies!

The "second" Maitreya Buddha is a wonderful discovery near Sankoo.

Did you have to rouse the caretaker at Purkitchey JKTDC - all their resorts look so deserted and dilapidated!

BTW, the Diskit petrol pump sells both diesel and petrol, but when we visited, they had no diesel in stock. The owner/caretaker lives in the hut in the petrol pump "compound" and he assured me that we can buy fuel "24 hours" - simply knock the door, he said.

We had the same fuel issue as you had and since we intended to do Leh-Turtuk-Wari la-Pangong-Chushul-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Tandi in one shot, we decided to break 26 kms (to and fro) at Sakti, come to Karu, refuelled and went back to Sakti to resume the Pangong trail. This way, we saved stocking up 100 ltrs+ of fuel and managed with just 40 ltrs of spare diesel. Moreover, we got good quality diesel at Sarchu, which we bought.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 12:51   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
SST that was my first experience of driving through flowing mud. The damn thing pulls you down as it pushes you forward(in this case side ways off the road). Its quite tricky... especially when you dont know and cant judge if the road beneath has been washed away or not. Though we tried throwing some stones in it to figure out the thickness and depth and used a tommy to poke through it too.
Well they thought Jay and Veeru kinda rhymed and Veeru seemed to accomplish some pretty heroic feats compared to Dhanno without having to use the whip
You were damn lucky that you did not g further into that mud avalanche area on the way to Turtuk. We had a similar encounter and my Scorpio was not that lucky as you were.

We were returning from Zanskar Valley when a sudden cloudburst sprayed hail stones at us and opened up the water cocks in the high mountains liberally, resulting in major swathes of slush and landslides across the road just before Sankoo. WE successfully crossed 3 such mud seas, but immediately after the third, as my Scorpio was slithering down the mud slope in a deep skid, in order to avoid falling off into the river valley below vs. ht a stranded truck in the middle of the road, I had to swerve to the cliff side and got bogged down in the manner you see in the attached photo. Believe me, it is quick sand and one of our team who put his leg in there found himself sinking to ABOVE his knee and he had to be pulled out by others just in time.

My Scorpio had to be yanked out with great difficulty after an operation that lasted almost 30-45 minutes.
Attached Images

hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That was a wonderful detailed account of the Ladakh drive. Thanks, Neville!
I was getting some updates from Jay on his drive and your spring leaves (!!) and we were probably within some 30-50 kms of each other as you stayed at Bilaspur and we were crossing Panchkula/Chandigarh on our own trip to Ladakh.

You missed some lovely parts of Ladakh by not going on to Pensi La/Padum and Chushul/Hanle, but I guess you had a great time nonetheless. We had the same route plan as you had (South to North though), and we did all the sectors.

We took the Bhatinda-Hanumangarh highway on our return, and we found that you can escape the terrible road sections around Mandi Dabwali by going via Abohar instead of Bhatinda.

My Scorpio broke 3 of its leaf springs in its journey to Zanskar Valley, but we were not as lucky as you were - I had to take a detour into Leh (breaking my Wari la-Pangong drive), and since it was a Sunday, neither ASC nor shops were open, so I found a phaata wala with difficulty and got the broken pieces welded! .
Leafs welded wow!! Where did you get them replaced and for how long did you ride on the welded springs?

Quote:
The Maruti & M&M have a combined ASC (official or unofficial, I don't know) which is why you found more M&M vehicles there. I have visited the ASC many times (during all my visits) and I generally found them competent and quick, it is unfortunate that you had to drum up a ruckus to get service..
Maybe they have a joint ASC, but the signage still says Druk Maruti Authorized Service Centre

Quote:
You guys were also lucky to get permits for Fukche-Demchok - we were denied that sector probably because of the recent Chinese incursions which probably happened after Jay visited Fukche and rolled out the red carpet for the Reddies!.
in hindsight I think you are right

Quote:
The "second" Maitreya Buddha is a wonderful discovery near Sankoo.
Did you guys go to see it. how many of you jumped over that stream of water to get to the statue?

Quote:
Did you have to rouse the caretaker at Purkitchey JKTDC - all their resorts look so deserted and dilapidated!
Nope. At Putikchey the guy came running to open the gate as he mistook us for Govt officials. Did you stay there too?

Quote:
BTW, the Diskit petrol pump sells both diesel and petrol, but when we visited, they had no diesel in stock. The owner/caretaker lives in the hut in the petrol pump "compound" and he assured me that we can buy fuel "24 hours" - simply knock the door, he said.
You got to be kidding me. No way is that dump a petrol pump. I am not even sure if the fuel gauges work

Quote:
We had the same fuel issue as you had and since we intended to do Leh-Turtuk-Wari la-Pangong-Chushul-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Tandi in one shot, we decided to break 26 kms (to and fro) at Sakti, come to Karu, refuelled and went back to Sakti to resume the Pangong trail. This way, we saved stocking up 100 ltrs+ of fuel and managed with just 40 ltrs of spare diesel. Moreover, we got good quality diesel at Sarchu, which we bought.
very good decision!!
Old 16th September 2011, 10:09   #82
BHPian

Quote:
You were damn lucky that you did not g further into that mud avalanche area on the way to Turtuk. We had a similar encounter and my Scorpio was not that lucky as you were.

We were returning from Zanskar Valley when a sudden cloudburst sprayed hail stones at us and opened up the water cocks in the high mountains liberally, resulting in major swathes of slush and landslides across the road just before Sankoo. WE successfully crossed 3 such mud seas, but immediately after the third, as my Scorpio was slithering down the mud slope in a deep skid, in order to avoid falling off into the river valley below vs. ht a stranded truck in the middle of the road, I had to swerve to the cliff side and got bogged down in the manner you see in the attached photo. Believe me, it is quick sand and one of our team who put his leg in there found himself sinking to ABOVE his knee and he had to be pulled out by others just in time.

My Scorpio had to be yanked out with great difficulty after an operation that lasted almost 30-45 minutes.
I know this exact spot and had infact mentioned to Nitin on our way back from visiting the Maitrya Buddha that God forbid if it rains in this region the road be very difficult to traverse.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:16   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Leafs welded wow!! Where did you get them replaced and for how long did you ride on the welded springs?
Apparently, this is a common practice. Of the 2 broken springs, the broken pieces were still in the assembly, so they were welded. But in the last spring, the piece had fallen off somewhere, so the phaata guy cut out a bit of spring from another discarded spring and welded it to the broken part of my Scorpio. I drove with welded springs all over and I am still running the Scorpio with them, pondering whether I should change over to new ones at all! The ride is a little stiff, but no other problem.

Quote:
Maybe they have a joint ASC, but the signage still says Druk Maruti Authorized Service Centre
Yes, it is a Maruti ASC, but also a M&M service centre! I ascertained this through some M&M Nashik guys who were testing some new Scorpio last time I visited in 2009.

Quote:
Did you guys go to see it. how many of you jumped over that stream of water to get to the statue?
No, we missed this one. When I talked to Jay during your trip, by mistake he told me that he had visited Rangdum Gompa and said it was beautiful. So we also tried to visit the Rangdum Gompa and found the entire place locked up!

Quote:
You got to be kidding me. No way is that dump a petrol pump. I am not even sure if the fuel gauges work
The Deskit pump had good quality petrol and the guys were very friendly, never mind how it looks. It has been that way for years!

Quote:
Nope. At Putikchey the guy came running to open the gate as he mistook us for Govt officials. Did you stay there too?
We left Kargil at 630 am and reached Padum at 7 pm with just one lunch halt at Randum at 12 noon or so. We stayed at Padum that night and returned the next day to Kargil.

Here is what you guys missed - the Darang Drung Glacier after Pensi la:
Attached Images

hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 16:59   #84
Senior - BHPian

Great TL Satan!!!

We were in the Himalayas soon after you guys left. Do you think the Swifts could have crossed Rohtang by any chance??

BTW all gypsy owners seem to be finding the same spot on the wari la route for a pic...

Your pic from this trip
Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  99.0 KB
My pic from the 2009 trip i did in my gypsy
An Unlikely Pair (Safari & Gypsy) do a 6600km circuit Mumbai – Srinagar- Leh - Mumbai-untitled3.jpg

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 19th September 2011 at 17:03.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 10:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Great TL Satan!!!
Thanks KSM!

Quote:
We were in the Himalayas soon after you guys left. Do you think the Swifts could have crossed Rohtang by any chance??
Nope. Like I mentioned at some places the slush was almost 2 feet deep and despite the high clearance the Gypsy did scape its belly on multiple occasions. Those spots would have easily beached a swift.

Quote:
BTW all gypsy owners seem to be finding the same spot on the wari la route for a pic...
Maybe all gypsy owners think alike which is why they own Gypsys in the first place. Its a Gypsy thing, I am sure you will understand

Your pic from this trip
Attachment 611943
My pic from the 2009 trip i did in my gypsy
Attachment 611944[/quote]
satan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 16:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
We left Kargil at 630 am and reached Padum at 7 pm with just one lunch halt at Randum at 12 noon or so. We stayed at Padum that night and returned the next day to Kargil.
Here is what you guys missed - the Darang Drung Glacier after Pensi la:
Damn, not just the glacier but you missed everything in zanskar other than driving there and coming back :(.

There are some fantastic off-road opportunities around Padum, shila village is one of those
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 14:04   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Damn, not just the glacier but you missed everything in zanskar other than driving there and coming back :(.

There are some fantastic off-road opportunities around Padum, shila village is one of those
Yes as mentioned we had our challenges. Next time....