Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th August 2011, 15:07   #1
BHPian

Default Dakshin Chitra- Weekend getaway

I had driven down over weekend from Bangalore to Chennai and while on East Coast Road, spotted a board "Dakshin Chitra" near Muthukadu. It turned out to be an interesting place for half a day. It is a heritage village set up for encouraging art, craft and architecture of all four southern states of India. the best way to describe it is as an open air museum where one gets to experience the rich cultural heritage of South India.

Dakshin Chitra has been divided into sections for each of the four southern states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala and TamilNadu. Each section provides a glimpse of art, craft, music, dance and other cultural aspects of South India.
There are altogether 17 heritage houses where you get to interact with the artisans and witness cultural programs. The houses of different communities have been replicated to provide a flavor of the architectural variety. Some of the finest specimens here are a century old Merchant house from Chettinad, 1 150 year old house of a rich farmer from Tanjavur and a potter’s house from Tiruvallur.

There are a few fun activities available for both kids and grown ups. I loved the shadow puppet show on an episode of the Great Epic of Ramayana. It as very well done.

My daughter and nephew had a ball of a time at the Potters wheel as well as Basket weaver. They actually teach their craft and was a fun way of learning the intricacies involved.
The kids also got their portrait done by the village artist and that was a good job done.

I got my future read by a very learned parrot out here!

Dakshin Chitra also has a serious agenda. It is a committed to keep alive some of the fading dance forms like Therukootu, Garagalu, Tappattam and Padayani. Every month, a particular folk dance is selected and there is a performance by trained dancers over 9 days. Workshops and summer camps are also organized to communicate with the children and youth of the country.

Architecture workshops are held to promote the traditional South Indian forms of architecture. The workshop focuses on the materials to be used, techniques and conservation.

Dakshin Chitra also provides a market place for artisans of different types to help them get livelihood. The Craft Bazaar and Craft Shop at the Centre help provide the artisans with sales opportunities. You can purchase traditional craft and textiles from the artisans directly.

Every couple of year, an international seminar is held to discuss an aspect of art and culture. Some of the recent editions covered Mural Painting traditions of 13-19th centuries, South Indian Jewelry and Folk Painting Traditions.

By the way if you are one of those harboring ideas of getting married in traditional South Indian style, Dakshin Chitra is the place. There is a Kalyana Mandapam (Wedding Dias) along with a lawn available for hire!
Sudden123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:05   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Dakshin Chitra- Weekend getaway

Bigger photographs please. I was incidentally planning a trip to Dakshin Chitra on the way back from Mahabalipuram so that my neice and daughter can have a go at pottery. Sadly, you know kids. They delayed at the beach!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 22:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sudden could have given more details of this nice place with better pictures as well. The place deserves that.

It is a must visit place for all heritage lovers and lovers of architecture and culture as well. The Syrian christian house with a well next to kitchen, Brahmins agraharam, Coastal muslim house, weavers and potters house are all unique. All are worth seeing as they have been reconstructed. Dakshina Chitra should be on the list whenever you plan a trip to Mahabalipuram. Here is the link to the place.

DakshinaChitra Homepage

A bigger and one man vision on the same lines has taken shape in Manipal. Hastashilpa Heritage village by Mr. Vijayanatha Shenoy is another amazing place. But not yet open to public. Here is the link

Welcome to Hasta Shilpa Heritage Village, Manipal
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 22:49   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

It's a nice place to visit and those interested in artefacts would love it, my daughter loves this place. Here are pics of the stilt dance and the artefacts bought by my daughter.
Attached Thumbnails
Dakshin Chitra- Weekend getaway-dakshin-chithra-folk-dance.jpg  

Attached Images

Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:23   #5
BHPian

I had visited Dakshinachitra a couple of years back. This is a nice way to bring the age-old tradition and way of life of Southern India closer to folks in urban centers. The traditional houses are a true replication of actual homes; much attention has been bestowed to retain accuracy and authenticity. If driving from Chennai to Mamallapuram, Dakshinachitra comes on your left side. You will see a board sufficiently big in size, where you have to turn left and drive an alley to reach the parking and reception area.

Visitors can enter inside any home and go to any room. Visitors should not touch the objects and pictures placed. Every home is looked after by a caretaker. I think they have hotel rooms available for overnight stay, but I am not sure if they are for visitors or about the process of booking.

There is an entry fee charged. When I went there, I think it was Rs. 70/- for adults. They have ample open car parking space along with shaded space for drivers to rest. Even rest rooms for drivers are provided. Dakshinachitra also has a restaurant inside including restrooms.

For those interested, on the same road at Injambakkam, there is "Cholamandalam Artistis' Village". This is a living community of artists practising their craft. They have galleries, museums, and exhibition where the sculptures, paintings, and other works are on sale. This is the little information I have heard from word of mouth and am intending to go there once, but could not manage it yet. Members who have been there, could be able to throw more light on this.

murillo
murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:16   #6
BHPian

attaching more snaps

Sudden123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 22:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good thread dedicated for the tradition and the Dakshinchitra. In fact I would like to have some more details. Is the cultural programme is all days or some specific days only.I believe the potter and handicraft demo may be there all days. If some one can throw some light on Puppet dance and stick dance programme and timing that will help us to take the kids.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 02:53   #8
BHPian

Looks like a very good place to photograph some unusual things. Thanks for sharing.
chethan.ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 20:05   #9
BHPian

Went there sometime in Jan 08. Loved the place. It does a good job of not only showcasing the art and culture of the southern states, but also the architecture with each state's particular type of house being functionally displayed.
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 19:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Had been there to day with my grand children. Really a worthy place to visit.There are some activities like painting,pottery making,Weaving.Drawing,candle making are there for kids.Here are some images.I could not upload for unknown reasons. I will try again soon.

Last edited by navan49 : 15th October 2011 at 19:51.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2011, 20:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Dakshin Chitra- Weekend getaway-img_0434.jpg
Postings of Pictures of Dhakshin Chitra.Children are at art practice.
Old 15th October 2011, 23:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Finally I could reduce the size of the images and ready to post again.
Picture I Weaver weaving Silk Saree.
2. Chettnadu House
3 Potter is making demo pots.
4.Potter's House
5 Simple Thatched house
6 & 7 Kerala House
8 Street of Tamilnadu Village
Attached Images

Last edited by navan49 : 16th October 2011 at 00:23.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:16   #13
BHPian

I never knew such a place existed between Mahabalipuram and Chennai. I had been on that route so many times and yet I missed. From the pics, it looks good and seems like a good place to buy some handicrafts.
Thanks a lot for putting this up. Next time I am on that route, this will be sure stop.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 13:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Himavanth, It is one place for the chenaite's to visit. In fact I missed it for years. Yesterday went with the grand daughters and spent some time.Still we were not happy to come. After visiting Tamilnadu village and Kerala village we got a call from youngest my son informing that my daughter in law had come to visit me from other part of the city and will be at home shortly. So we left Karnataka and Andhra areas and all the craft stores. Once again we have to spend a one full Sunday. On Saturdays and Sundays are active days with all folk songs Dances and puppet shows and show the culture of the south.Lots of craft stores and opportunities to children's creativities.Please visit on week ends with enough time. Generally they say one hour but if you are with kids that is not enough. It is in Muutukadu juste after MGR. Cross MGM from Chennai Mahab side and with in 200 mtrs you will find a small board with arrow to Dakshin Chitra. There you are.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 14:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Himavanth, It is one place for the chenaite's to visit. In fact I missed it for years. Yesterday went with the grand daughters and spent some time.Still we were not happy to come. After visiting Tamilnadu village and Kerala village we got a call from youngest my son informing that my daughter in law had come to visit me from other part of the city and will be at home shortly. So we left Karnataka and Andhra areas and all the craft stores. Once again we have to spend a one full Sunday. On Saturdays and Sundays are active days with all folk songs Dances and puppet shows and show the culture of the south.Lots of craft stores and opportunities to children's creativities.Please visit on week ends with enough time. Generally they say one hour but if you are with kids that is not enough. It is in Muutukadu juste after MGR. Cross MGM from Chennai Mahab side and with in 200 mtrs you will find a small board with arrow to Dakshin Chitra. There you are.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I no longer live in Chennai. Almost a year since i left that place. But next time I go there, I will make a point to see this place. I am single and no kids, but I like handicrafts and stuff like that. So I would like to check it out. And thanks a lot for the directions. I will keep them in mind.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote