Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th August 2011, 00:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Welcome back after an abstinence. I saw your thread in the morning couple of weeks back and when i wanted to go through in detail in the evening, it was gone. Guessed that you were in the assembly line. Yes, for us all the long journey begins again. Good.
1500 kms in a day is fantastic driving and the perseverance is incredible.
Is it that you copied the entire log from the assembly line to the mains.
Thanks a lot, Rajeev. The drive was fantastic. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It is too tiring and night driving is very stressful, because of the high beam glare. Ever since the introduction of the Volvo B9R, driving has become very difficult in the highways, because of their six brilliant headlights!!!

I prepared this log in the assembly line. It was moved here by a moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@CL, Do I need to mention ?

Amazing attention to details. The first snap that you posted (of the road with fading light)
is the best of the lot!
Thanks my friend. That particular pic was taken by my wife at 6 am in the morning and we were at 120 - 130 kmph then!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
@CL. Great narration and pictures. I was waiting for you to reach Kerala, but could not stop myself from replying. It is indeed a great achievement to be driving such long distances and being alert at the same time. I am still not very comfortable driving in the night, although to be honest, i have not tried it too. I have done a few trips starting at 4:00 a.m. and always stopped by 7-8 p.m.

Also appreciate the updates about the road conditions.
Thanks Biju. As I mentioned earlier in this post, it is not safe driving throughout the night. Power naps are a must, if you want to stay alert. Your co-passenger MUST also be alert at all times!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 30th August 2011 at 00:27.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 00:48   #17
BHPian

Default Re: St. Joseph’s Metropolitan Cathedral, Trivandrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Day 3

We visited the newly renovated St. Joseph’s Metropolitan Cathedral, in Trivandrum, the next day evening. The Church had undergone a complete multi-crore makeover. We were truly impressed by the grandeur of the church.
Is this the church the one near the Zoo? Wasn't it all granite coloured earlier? IMO the old charm is lost. First it was the Padhmanabha swami temple that was painted, and now this. What is wrong with Trivandrum?
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 01:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: St. Joseph’s Metropolitan Cathedral, Trivandrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is this the church the one near the Zoo? Wasn't it all granite coloured earlier? IMO the old charm is lost. First it was the Padhmanabha swami temple that was painted, and now this. What is wrong with Trivandrum?
What you are referring to, is the LMS Church.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-lms-church.jpg
(Pic from the internet)

St. Joseph's Church HAD to be renovated. The ceiling was ruined and the walls were about to cave in. Old age, I guess. A renovation was the ONLY way the Church could have stood the test of time. The old world charm is lost. But preservation of an important historical monument was more important. The total cost of the renovation was in the region of Rs. 3.6 crores, if my information is correct.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 30th August 2011 at 01:09.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 01:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up St. Joseph’s Metropolitan Cathedral, Trivandrum. Part 2

Confessional. The two sides of the Church. Notice the LCD TVs?

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-27.jpg

Church is slowly filling up before the Holy Mass.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-28.jpg

Two sides of the church. Zoom to 100% to see finer details.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-32.jpg

Way to the Church tower and choir area.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-33.jpg

Main entrance

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-34.jpg

The Church is jam packed.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-35.jpg

The Mass is telecasted LIVE.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-36.jpg

The Church in the evening. The setting sun casts a golden glow on the walls.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-37.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-40.jpg

Palayam Junction

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral_palayam-junction-39.jpg

The Church at night. Hand held shot.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-st.-josephs-cathedral-43.jpg

Martyr's Memorial

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-42-martyrs-memorial.jpg

Palayam Mosque

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-43-palayam-mosque.jpg
Old 30th August 2011, 07:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Quote:

Our drive was a fantastic experience. We covered a total of 1681 kilometres from Pune to reach Trivandrum. Our total driving time was approximately 27 hours. Our average speed was approximately 62 kmph.

We thanked God from the bottom of our hearts for giving us a wonderful drive and retired for the night after a wonderful feast!!!
I salute the endurance of you, your wife and ofcourse the Chevy. But one question why did you not decide against a night halt before Madurai?

By the way you have got a beautiful house there.

Voted the thread as 5 star for the wonderful snaps and the elaborate details.

Quote:
Confessional. The two sides of the Church. Notice the LCD TVs?
Technology is surely catching up at all the places.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 14:26   #21
BHPian

Default Re: St. Joseph’s Metropolitan Cathedral, Trivandrum.

Quote:
What you are referring to, is the LMS Church.

St. Joseph's Church HAD to be renovated. The ceiling was ruined and the walls were about to cave in. Old age, I guess. A renovation was the ONLY way the Church could have stood the test of time. The old world charm is lost. But preservation of an important historical monument was more important. The total cost of the renovation was in the region of Rs. 3.6 crores, if my information is correct.
Ah ok. The second set of pics made it clear. By looking from outside, it never appeared to be in a bad state though.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:47   #22
BHPian

Hi C_L. So you are back with a new series! A good news indeed for all of us. Read at one go the narration (detailed as always) of your onward marathon 24 hrs drive. Great endurance. It reminded me of our long trip to south last year. That entry point pic to take NICE road to bypass, is a very good info.

With Munnar in your itinerary, I am sure we are going to have a 'photo-fest'.

Waiting for more..
LongDrive lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 19:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I salute the endurance of you, your wife and ofcourse the Chevy. But one question why did you not decide against a night halt before Madurai?
By the way you have got a beautiful house there.

Voted the thread as 5 star for the wonderful snaps and the elaborate details.
Technology is surely catching up at all the places.
Thanks a lot for the comments, Amit.

We wanted to cover as much distance as possible, on day one of our journey, so that we could take it easy on day 2. We thought of staying back in Salem at first. Then we decided against it, as we would have reached Salem by 8 pm and it would have been a waste of time, if we had stopped our drive. Madurai was the next best option. Glad that you liked my house! We were wonder struck when we saw the Holy Mass being telecasted live inside the church.

Thanks a lot for the rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hi C_L. So you are back with a new series! A good news indeed for all of us. Read at one go the narration (detailed as always) of your onward marathon 24 hrs drive. Great endurance. It reminded me of our long trip to south last year. That entry point pic to take NICE road to bypass, is a very good info.

With Munnar in your itinerary, I am sure we are going to have a 'photo-fest'.

Waiting for more..
Thank you, LDL bhai. The drive was indeed a true test of endurance. NICE Road entry point is always a confusion for drivers from other states. There are lots more coming up. Stay tuned!
Old 30th August 2011, 19:21   #24
BHPian

Thanks Chevy_Lover for the wonderful pictures and narration. I am glued to the thread. Really admire your determination to drive for 1500+ kms at a single stretch. Agree that for the night rides, good lighting are an absolute necessity and your choice of Hellas are really apt. Good that you upgraded too.

And thanks for the NICE road entry picture. I also lookout for the overhead flyover far ahead which is also an indication of an exit. This is true for Nelamangala and Hosur road exit/entry. Rs 125 is absolute rip-off, but its worth IMO. I believe its not under NHAI and its a private corridor. THough, its getting crowded nowadays with lot of trucks.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 20:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Bejoy, thanks for the comments. The drive was fantastic and the only factor that made us bold enough to attempt it, was our faith in our Hella lights. They were outstanding.

NICE road is privately managed, I guess. They are out to fleece road users!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 30th August 2011 at 20:43.
Old 30th August 2011, 20:49   #26
BHPian

Congrats on a marathon drive and thanks for a wonderful narration & helpful pointers at important diversion, which will surely help lot of travellers.1500+kms revving in a day shows your passion to drive.

I really liked sunset pictures, awaiting photos of Munnar.
maximus. is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 22:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

I am seeing the Palayam Palli in white for the first time. That has remained the second notable land mark point of Trivandrum after the Secretariat, all these years.

Btb, CL, where in Trivandrum is your house?
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 13:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I am seeing the Palayam Palli in white for the first time. That has remained the second notable land mark point of Trivandrum after the Secretariat, all these years.

Btb, CL, where in Trivandrum is your house?
Palayam Church has always been the most distinguishing landmark in Trivandrum! The Church has a brand new look now, thanks to all the renovation work. Even the seating arrangements are brand new! Some pics of the old Church are still available in the Internet. The difference is astounding!!!

My house is at PMG Junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Congrats on a marathon drive and thanks for a wonderful narration & helpful pointers at important diversion, which will surely help lot of travellers.1500+kms revving in a day shows your passion to drive.

I really liked sunset pictures, awaiting photos of Munnar.
Thanks a lot, Maximus. The drive was indeed thrilling! But as I mentioned earlier, it is not recommended. It tests the perseverence of the driver AND most importantly, the CO-PASSENGER!!!

There are some more stunning sunset pics coming up! The ones I posted will be forgotten in a jiffy, once you see the next set of sunset pics!!! Stay tuned!
Old 31st August 2011, 14:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up St. Roch’s Convent, Madre-De-Deus Church and a plane!

We visited St. Roch’s Convent, where my aunt works and stays, the next day.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-01-st._rochs_convent.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-01-st._rochs.jpg

Some captures from my aunt's garden!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-02-beautiful_flower.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-02-lotus-.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-03-lotus_bud.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-03a-lotus_bud.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-04-beautiful_flower.jpg

The old airport was visible from Aunt's convent. The airport has now been converted to a domestic and cargo terminal. A brand new international airport has also been built.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-05-tvm_airport.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-06-cargo_plane.jpg

Later that day we visited the Madre-De-Deus Church at Vettucaud. The old church has been demolished and a new church is being built. The total cost?? Rs. 36 crores!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-madre_de_deus_church.jpg

A temporary church/ hall, where the Holy Mass is offered daily.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-temporary_church.jpg

Christ the King

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-christ_the_king.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-christ_the_king.jpg

Airport road

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-airport_road.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-chevy.jpg

We were lucky to see a plane take off! It was a beautiful sight!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-a_plane_taking_off.jpg
Old 31st August 2011, 15:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Talking The Brilliant Varkala Beach...

Day 4

The next day, we decided to visit Varkala Beach, about 60 kilometres from Trivandrum. My dad and mom accompanied us. We left TVM at 8 am. We needed about 45 minutes just to reach the University campus at Kazhakoottam. We again got stuck in a huge traffic jam at Kaniapuram. There were lots of vehicles going off road in an attempt to beat the jam. But we decided to stay put and the jam cleared in about ten minutes. We started our highway drive soon on the NH47.

We were shocked to see the driving etiquette of KSRTC and private buses. There was absolute mayhem on the highway. On top of all this, the police were after smaller vehicles, with their newly acquired speed guns. I was alerted about this new development by my bro-in-law and I had carefully kept my speed below 70 kmph. We passed two speed guns on the way and weren’t stopped, as my speed was under the limit. We saw an Ambassador car being stopped by the police. They literally jumped in front of oncoming traffic!!

Finally after a tedious two-hour journey, reached the little town of Varkala. We went to the beach first, but decided to proceed to the cliff face, as the sea was rough because of the monsoons.

We were awestruck, when we saw the beach from the cliff. Though we’ve been to the beach and cliff many times, the natural beauty of Varkala, took our breath away!

Varkala is one of the most beautiful beaches we had ever seen! It has been voted the most beautiful, picturesque beach in India!!!

India Beaches - Top 6 Best India Beaches

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-01.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-02.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-03.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-04.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-05.jpg

We had a traditional Kerala lunch from a restaurant on the cliff. The view from the restaurant was awesome!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-06.jpg

The beach!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-07.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-08.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-11.jpg

One of the most common sights one can ever see in Kerala! God's own drink! The purest, tastiest, natural thirst quencher!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-09.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-10.jpg

The cliff face is slowly getting destroyed by soil erosion!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-12.jpg

Chevy baby got a fantastic spot to rest, away from the scorching sun.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-varkala_beach-13.jpg

We count ourselves lucky that we could see 4 beaches, which were in the top 6!