Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th September 2011, 18:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Drive back to Munnar!

The driver of the KSRTC bus. He impressed me greatly with his relaxed style of driving. He used engine braking perfectly and gave ample space for smaller vehicles. The fact that impressed me the most? He never braked hard!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-ksrtc_driver-.jpg

A beautiful hill.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-a_beautiful_hill.jpg

We were surprised to see a rubber plantation in Adimali.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-a_rubber_plantation.jpg

A privately made and maintained grotto of Mother Mary!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-a_grotto.jpg

A beautiful mountain and a small waterfall!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-mountain.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-waterfalls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-beautiful_waterfalls.jpg

I have noticed that most Keralites have an obsession for gates. An example here. An artistically made gate for a beautiful house!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-beautiful_gate.jpg

Winding roads

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-winding_road.jpg

We saw a small church en route. What astonished us was a huge statue of Mother Mary and Jesus, similar to what I saw in St. Joseph's Church!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-church_and_excellent_statue.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-excellent_statue.jpg

We saw some lush green tea estates en route. A huge majority of the estates are owned by Kannan Devan. There used to be a company called Harrison Malayalam. But I don't know whether it exists in Munnar now!
Let me share a well known fact. AVT Tea is one of the best tea powders made in Kerala.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-lush_green_tea_estate.jpg

It was raining continuously from the time we left Munnar. It was a difficult task photographing nature in that sort of a weather. The view ahead of us was ALWAYS like this!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-view_from_the_bus.jpg

Eucalyptus forest

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-eucalyptus_forest.jpg

In one second, the whole forest was covered by thick fog!!! How the weather changes so fast is a mystery!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-eucalyptus_forest_covered_in_mist.jpg

The view from our bus was excellent. There was beauty all around us!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-beauty_all_around_us.jpg

Idiots will always be idiots. Some morons have taken great pain to deface this rock!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-idiots_have_written_on_the_rocks.jpg

An excellent view of a tea estate.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-brilliant_view.jpg

A small bridge en route. Only one vehicle can pass through!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-a_ksrtc_fast_passenger.jpg

Our driver had to wait till an entry was made in the KSRTC bus depot before proceeding further. There was a time keeper inside the office.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-patiently_waiting.jpg

A hotel complex just before reaching the town. Good for honeymoon couples who want peace and solitude away from the hustle and bustle of the city!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-a_hotel_complex.jpg

We reached the city by 1.30 pm. We had a terrific drive back to Munnar. Where we satisfied??? No way!

We wanted more! We decided to go on another bus ride to Udumalaipet!!! For us adventure is everything!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 12th September 2011 at 18:54.
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 18:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

Talking Another bus ride! Now to Marayoor...!

We decided to catch a bus to Udumalaipet immediately after we returned from Adimali. We met the conductor of St. John's bus, in which we had gone to Adimali, near the taxi stand. We had a conversation and we revealed our plan. He suggested that a drive to Udumalaipet would be too tiring and time consuming. He also told us that getting a bus to come back to Munnar might be an issue later. He suggested that we should only go as far as Marayoor and then return. We thanked him for his words of wisdom and crossed over to the other side of the road.

We were happy to see a TN registered private bus waiting there, which was headed towards Udumalaipet. We quickly got inside the bus and was lucky to get two seats in the back row, near the door. It was raining heavily by then. We had to pull down the shutter and we realized that our aim of taking some pics of the beautiful tea gardens may not work out. We did not think much about it then and decided to continue our journey. The time was 2.10 pm then. The bus, Mahalaxmi Transport, left the bus stand in another 5 minutes. The driver switched on the TV and DVD player and started playing a new Tamil movie. The ticket charge to Marayoor was Rs. 37.

We exited Munnar city soon and slowly started climbing the ghats. The rain was unrelenting and we decided not to take our camera out of our bag. Soon, rainwater began leaking inside the bus and the left side my wife's jacket was completely drenched. Luckily our AT bag was water proof and our camera was safe. The bus was completely occupied by then. Dozens of students boarded the bus from a bus stop just outside the city.

There were 5 other people sitting with us on the last seat. We were squeezed like lemons and photography was the last thing in our mind!!

We had a terrific drive through the hills and enjoyed the magnificent scenery all around us greatly. Although the shutter of the window, where my wife was sitting, was closed, we got a great view through the window above the door of the bus.

We had an eventful drive through the hills. There were dozens of instances when some of the passengers sitting ahead of us would suddenly put their heads out of the bus to vomit. We would immediately pull down the shutter of the door and wait for the person to finish.

The driver of the bus must have had a feeling that he was a rally driver and was driving at 60 - 70 kmph on that treacherous highway. We were thrown violently to both sides of the bus whenever there was a sharp turn. We were literally clinging on to the railings for our dear life. My poor wife suffered the most. She wanted to avoid putting her weight on me and was holding on to the window rail with all her might. Shortly afterwards, I saw her hands and fingers all swollen up!!!

We passed through the famous sandalwood forests and reached Marayoor by 4 pm. We got down at the bus stop and walked over to a nice restaurant on the other side of the road and had delicious Kerala meals with fish fry. The hotel had good restrooms and we could freshen up.

We walked back to the bus stop after our lunch and waited for a bus back to Munnar. The rain had stopped by then and we were happy that we might be able to take some pics at last. We saw a KL private bus coming from Chinnar. The bus was half empty and we got two seats on the right side. That side gives the the most picturesque view of the hills, when climbing the ghats towards Munnar.

The bus started from Marayoor at 4. 45 pm. We were quite comfortable and were occupying three seats. We were reminded of a similar incident during our visit to Bhutan. We were waiting to travel to Phuentsholing from Siliguri in the Bhutan Transport Company's bus. We had reserved two tickets. But when we got inside the bus, we found out that there was no way both of us could sit in a seat meant for two people. Either the seat was very small or we were huge!!!
We explained our predicament to the conductor and and he graciously allowed us to occupy a three-seater row. He did not make us buy another ticket. Thankfully the bus was half empty till our destination.

We passed through a check-post of Kerala Forest Dept. shortly. A policeman came inside and checked the bus. We didn't know what he was looking for and he finished his job in five minutes. We were on our way soon. We started the ascent towards Munnar. The drive was fantastic. My wife quickly took our cam out and started clicking. Her fingers were swollen and she was in quite a bit of discomfort, but she was very enthusiastic.

The tea estates were breathtaking . I cannot describe what we saw. Let our pics show what we experienced.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-view_of_the_valley.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-a_beautiful_location_and_some_factories.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-valley.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-tea_factory.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-route_to_munnar.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-highway_to_munnar.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-outstandingly_beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-excellent_view.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-excellent_beautiful_highway.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-fog_covered_tea_estates.jpg

There was a tempo traveller ahead of our bus. The driver of our bus was trying desperately to race with it. But the tempo was too fast for our bus. Finally our driver closed the gap between us and the tempo and started honking like crazy. The tempo had nowhere to go and took some time to give our bus space to overtake. The stupid bus driver was mad that he had to wait for side and rashly overtook the tempo and almost drove him off the cliff deliberately. We were shell shocked when we witnessed such brutality and shameless behaviour. Thankfully the tempo was OK. The driver of the tempo stopped and let our bus drive away to avoid any confrontation.

The interior of the bus

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-our_bus.jpg

Two happy travellers!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-we_are_thrilled_after_the_drive.jpg

We reached Munnar after a wild ride by 6.50 pm. The whole city was covered by fog. We decided to return back to our hotel. It was still raining when we got out of the bus. We slowly crossed the bridge and returned back to our hotel. Chevy was taking a well deserved rest. We gave him a pat on the back and went to our room and spent some time in our balcony.

The view from our balcony was awesome. I could capture the whole city. The Church, Mosque and the Temple is coming in the same frame.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-view_of_munnar_town.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 13th September 2011 at 18:25.
Chevy_lover is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 23:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Finally, mesmerizing Munnar....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
This photograph of yours helped me locate the house I stayed decades back before even becoming a teen. And this was another inspiration for me to rush to Munnar in heavy downpour as I have mentioned. I will be posting about it sooner than later.

Last edited by rajeev k : 15th September 2011 at 23:29.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 02:55   #109
BHPian

Default Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Those Munnar photographs of yours took me back to my school days in Kuttikkanam. Fantastic photographs. I have never found anything comparable to the Kerala landscapes during the monsoons anywhere yet in all the places I've been. And that's quite a few. Just living vicariously my younger days through these pictures. Very nostalgic, melancholic and every other emotions in between. Thanks a bunch.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 15:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Those Munnar photographs of yours took me back to my school days in Kuttikkanam. Fantastic photographs. I have never found anything comparable to the Kerala landscapes during the monsoons anywhere yet in all the places I've been. And that's quite a few. Just living vicariously my younger days through these pictures. Very nostalgic, melancholic and every other emotions in between. Thanks a bunch.
Thanks a lot for the compliments, VLOCT . I have travelled through Kuttikanam some years back and I was blown away by the natural beauty. The town was covered by fog then and I loved the sight. One of my dear friends hails from Kuttikanam. Sadly, I lost touch with him!!

As you mentioned, the landscapes were outstanding. All we had to do was click.

@Rajeev, looking forward to your log. Bring it on!
Old 16th September 2011, 19:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Our journey back home starts!

Day 24 - 1st August 2011

We had spent three days in Munnar and we had explored quite a bit. We decided to leave back to Pune that day. We had been away from Pune since 24 days and duty beckoned us. We had an early breakfast consisting of Appams and Egg curry from our favourite hotel near the bridge and returned back to the hotel, got ready and checked out by 11 am. It was a herculean task getting our heavy luggages inside Chevy, but with the help of a hotel boy, we could manage it with some difficulty. It was raining continuously and we were not happy to see so much rain before we started the dangerous drive on the ghats.

I checked Chevy's fluids and brake and we were finally ready to roll. We went to the BP petrol pump near the bridge and filled up diesel for Rs. 1500 @ Rs, 44.70 per litre. We went to a shop near the bus stand and replenished our stock of mineral water. We were all set after my wife bought some chocolates and we bid a 'tearful' goodbye to Munnar at 12 pm sharp. We had had a terrific time in Munnar and we did not feel like going back. We were totally smitten by the natural beauty of Munnar and vowed to come back as soon as an opportunity presented itself!!!

The highway was truly, incredibly beautiful. We were smitten by the natural beauty of Munnar as soon as we started the drive on the ghats. The highway was in a terrific condition. It was drizzling and I decided to take it easy till Chinnar. We maintained a speed of about 60 - 70 kmph.

The highway to Udumalaipet.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-excellent_highway_to_udumalaipet.jpg

What a fantastic sight!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-what_a_fantastic_sight.jpg

Cows grazing!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-cows_grazing_in_a_pasture.jpg

A small temple.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-a_temple.jpg

Wood stocked for use in the furnace in a tea factory.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-wood_stocked_for_a_tea_factory.jpg

Beautiful road

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-beautiful_road.jpg

The land of cows!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-land_of_cows.jpg

Eravikulam National Park

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-eravikulam_national_park.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-eravikulam_national_park.jpg

The natural beauty is awesome!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-beautiful_road.jpg

A small river

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-a_small_river.jpg

Beautiful waterfalls

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-waterfalls.jpg

Stunningly beautiful tea estates

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-tea_estates.jpg

Splendid view! The best so far!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-beautiful_scenery.jpg

Trees in a tea estate multiplies its beauty ten fold!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-excellent_views.jpg

A waterfall in the mountain

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-waterfalls.jpg

Green everywhere

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-green_everywhere.jpg

A green Persian carpet???

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-green_carpets.jpg

A woman collecting firewood!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-a_woman_collecting_firewood.jpg

Tea gardens everywhere!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-green_persian_carpet.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-beauty_all_around_us.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-23-excellent_highway.jpg

Brilliant scenery!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24-beautiful_scenery.jpg

Workers of a tea factory

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-workers_of_a_tea_factory.jpg
Chevy_lover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 22:33   #112
BHPian

Default Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Hi Cheta!!

As usual super narration and splendid pictures!! Whenever I had time I would sneak in and check your progress on the tour

As I had suggested earlier my date with NH 7 would have stated tonight at 8 PM as planned but due to a "hartaal" in Trivandrum tomorrow I will be leaving at 3 AM now! Guess I just had the glitch for this mission.

regards,
Sunil

PS: You both make a lovely couple! god bless
sunil.nv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 22:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous pics. Reminds me of my recent summer trip to Munnar on a KSRTC bus from Bangalore, via Udumalpet and Marayur.

Those 3 or 4 pics of that large tea estate building stirred a nostalgic cord within. I too was sitting on the right side of the bus, and remember seeing that estate for nearly 10 minutes while travelling on that winding road.

Keep 'em coming!
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 15:18   #114
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Some panoramas!

Some panoramas we captured en route to Marayoor!

Splendid view of the green pastures!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-incredible_view_of_the_pastures.jpg

Beautiful waterfalls!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-waterfalls.jpg

Mind blowing view of a tea estate!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-incredible_beauty.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 17th September 2011 at 15:19.
Old 18th September 2011, 22:00   #115
Senior - BHPian

@vnabhi, thanks, friend. The landscapes were truly amazing!

@sunil.nv, thanks, friend. I hope you had a fantastic drive on the NH7!!
How was Trivandrum? Hope you didn't have any problems because of the Harthal!
Thanks again for the good wishes!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 21:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

Smile More photos of the stunning landscapes!!!

Excellent views of tea estates!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-excellent_views.jpg

Beautiful Tree!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-beautiful_tree.jpg

Stunning view of fog covered mountains and the valley below!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-fog_covered_mountains.jpg

Green mountains!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-green_mountains.jpg

Gorgeous!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-beautiful_tea_estates.jpg

What a fantastic view!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-splendid_view.jpg

Beautiful trees!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-beautiful_tree.jpg

Green carpets??

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-carpeted_hills.jpg

Winding road

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-curvy_road.jpg

A small township in the valley!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-view_of_the_valley.jpg

A bungalow and a temple

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-tea_estate_bungalow.jpg

Tea factory

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-tea_factory.jpg
One of the best views we ever saw!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-brilliant_view.jpg

It gets better!!! There is a waterfall too!!! Brilliant!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-brilliant_view-beautiful_waterfall.jpg

Another waterfall right in the middle of a tea garden!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-waterfall.jpg

Stupendous view!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-beautiful.jpg

Waterfalls!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-waterfalls.jpg

A private tea estate!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-tea_estates.jpg

We were stunned by this view! Absolutely incredible!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24-tea_estates.jpg

What a landscape!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-25-tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-26-tea_estates.jpg

A waterfall in the middle of a tea estate! Mind blowing!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-27-splendid_scene.jpg

Pest Controllers inc. They've set out to exterminate the pesky pests!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-28-pest_controllers.jpg

I am at a loss for words to describe the beauty of Munnar!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-29-superb_road-great_view.jpg

A pano of the temple and the beauuuuutiful waterfall!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-pano_brilliant_scene-beautiful_temple.jpg
Old 21st September 2011, 23:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Udumalpet - Munnar section is one of the beautiful road to drive. It is looking more beautiful after the monsoon. Your pictures are forcing me to plan for a trip to Munnar soon .
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:46   #118
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Finally... Marayoor!

Our drive to Marayoor was truly incredible. The beauty of the landscapes around us left us breathless!!

We soon reached a fantastic waterfalls en route. It was the biggest after Chinnakanal!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-waterfalls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-waterfalls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-nice_view.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-highway_is_through_dense_forest.jpg

Chevy!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-chevy.jpg

Water gushing!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-milky_waterfalls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-waterfalls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-beautiful_road.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-tea_estates.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-beautiful_scene.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-tea_estate.jpg

Estate worker!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-estate_worker.jpg

Another waterfall!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-another_waterfall.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-wide_angle_shot_of_waterfalls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-a_mountain.jpg

Still a long way to go....!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-still_a_long_way_to_go.jpg

Huge jackfruits for sale!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-jackfruit_for_sale.jpg

We reached Marayoor!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-marayoor_forest.jpg

Monkeys everywhere!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-monkeys_everywhere.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-monkey_land.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 22nd September 2011 at 23:51.
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Udumalpet - Munnar section is one of the beautiful road to drive. It is looking more beautiful after the monsoon. Your pictures are forcing me to plan for a trip to Munnar soon .
You should defenitely plan a trip soon, before the monsoon retreats completely! I heard that it is still raining in parts of Kerala. The awesome greenery would be a wonderful treat for the eyes!

We are yet to hear from Rajeev, who went to Munnar this month!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:06   #120
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Chinnar and Anamalai....!

We drove through Marayoor sandalwood forests soon. The forest was dense and was well protected by fences everywhere.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-marayoor_sandalwood_forest.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1a-marayoor_forest.jpg

We drove by Karimutty falls.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-karimutty_falls.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-karimutty_falls.jpg

Chinnar wildlife sanctuary was next.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-chinnar.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-chinnar_sanctuary_information_centre.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-beautiful_flower.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-chinnar_roads.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-chinnar_roads.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-chinnar_roads.jpg

We entered Tamil Nadu state in a short while. The landscape changed almost immediately!

We were amazed to see so many ant hills en route!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-ant_hill.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-beautiful_ant_hill.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-we_entered_tamil_nadu.jpg

A Langur mommy sprinting away with her kid!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-a_langur_sprinting_with_her_kid.jpg

Some Langurs were relaxing on top of a wall grooming each other!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-langurs_grooming_each_other.jpg

Way to Anamalai Tiger Reserve

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-way_to_anamalai.jpg

We finally reached Anamalai. I parked my Chevy near the checkpost and entered our name in the register, The forest guard demanded a bribe of Rs. 30, which I gave to avoid any delay!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-anamalai_tiger_reserve.jpg

The highway was very deserted!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-tamilnadu_barren_road.jpg

A ghat en route!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-a_ghat.jpg

Two hairpins....!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-hairpin_curves_in_the_ghat.jpg

The highway was very beautiful with green tree cover! We greatly enjoyed the drive! It was boiling hot outside!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-beautiful_highway.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-beautiful_tree_covered_highway.jpg