Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd September 2011, 17:24   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

@ CL - My eyes have become Green with envy after seeing all the greenery in your snaps.

Wonderful captures. Looks like you did not encounter any rains when you left Munnar and it stopped raining at the right time for you to have a safe drive.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 15:55   #122
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@ CL - My eyes have become Green with envy after seeing all the greenery in your snaps.

Wonderful captures. Looks like you did not encounter any rains when you left Munnar and it stopped raining at the right time for you to have a safe drive.
He he he, thanks, Amit! It was indeed different shades of green all around us, when we drove through the ghats. I don't remember seeing any other colour!

The drizzle stopped as soon as we reached Marayoor. From then onwards, it was a super smooth drive!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 19:18   #123
Senior - BHPian

Smile Our drive continues...!

The narrow road through Anamalai Tiger Reserve was in superb condition. The road was constructed through very dense forest and we did not see even a single soul en route. We had seen two local bikers riding inside the forest area. We were actually quite surprised seeing them riding nonchalantly. We couldn't help thinking what they could do in case of a wild animal attack!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-beautiful_road.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-dense_forest.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-beautiful_trees.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-highway_through_anamalai_reserve_forest.jpg

The highway was so very deserted. We saw only about half a dozen vehicles passing by. There was no truck traffic also on that highway. Future travellers need to be very careful when driving on this route. Please make sure that there is enough stock of water and eatables and/or fruits in your vehicle! Also make sure that the vehicles' tyres are in top condition. There is no help available inside the reserve forest!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-beautiful_trees.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-absolutely_stunning.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-not_a_soul_in_sight.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-first_vehicle_we_saw.jpg

We exited Anamalai Tiger Reserve at 2.50 pm. We were again stopped at the check post. I entered our names and other details in the register and were finally on our way. The inspector was half asleep and did not even bother checking what I had written!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-anamalai_checkpost_exit.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-highway_to_udumalaipet.jpg

The highways in Tamil Nadu are brilliant. The Government has planted huge trees on either side of the road and we truly enjoyed the incredible view!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-excellent_highway-.jpg

We saw two huge mountains near the highway.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-mountains.jpg

The natural beauty of Tamil Nadu was stunning. We saw a beautiful farm and a house probably belonging to the farmer himself. The location was superb!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-a_small_house_and_tree_plantation.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-a_farmers_house_and_cultivation.jpg

There were many other farms of coconut trees and plantains. More than 50% of the plantain and banana sold in Kerala is cultivated in Tamil Nadu.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-another_plantation.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-plantain_and_coconut_farm.jpg

This farm land and the mountains bordering the farm was simply breathtaking!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-a_farm_and_mountains.jpg

The highway was excellent as usual. We do not have words to describe its beauty. I could maintain speeds of 100 - 130 kmph easily!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-beautiful_highway.jpg

A farmer's hut

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-a_small_hut.jpg

Some huts under construction.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-20-huts_under_construction.jpg

The highway was arrow-straight! Rarely have we seen such perfection!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-21-absolutely_straight_highway.jpg

A big coconut farm. There are many such huge farms after Batalagundu en route to Kodaikanal.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-22-coconut_plantation.jpg

We decided to have lunch from Dharapuram. We reached the small town at 3.50 pm. Our odo was at 109,416 kms. We had driven 130 kilometres from Munnar. It was a thrilling ride in every sense and we had taken almost four hours to cover the distance. We stopped at Apoorva Veg. Restaurant and had a tasty meal.

We decided to take rest for some time in the hotel. We had some soft drinks and stretched our tired legs and relaxed in their AC dining room.

We left the town at 4.30 pm and drove towards Kankayem. We passed the small town at 5 pm. The highway was excellent and was newly laid. There was some road construction work going on at some places.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-23-newly_laid_highway.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-24-a_colourful_temple_on_top_of_a_huge_rock.jpg

We decided to drive non-stop and reached Erode after a high speed, super smooth drive at 5.50 pm. There was no bypass for Erode and we had to enter the madly crowded city. Erode was another version of Salem. There were people and vehicles everywhere.

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-25-erode_city-so_crowded.jpg

We had a terrible time trying to get out of the city and we took an incredible twenty minutes to reach the highway to Salem. We drove through so many narrow lanes that we completely lost our sense of direction and depended on the instructions given by auto drivers to finally exit the city. We were totally exhausted after the experience!!!
Chevy_lover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 19:27   #124
BHPian

Default Re: Our drive continues...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
The highways in Tamil Nadu are brilliant. The Government has planted huge trees on either side of the road and we truly enjoyed the incredible view!
+1. Very true! Its a delight to drive in those highways.They have done a good job in transforming the otherwise dry route. I love travelling the Mettur-Bhavani route while driving to Kochi from Bangalore. I am already getting bored of the NH7/NH47 route.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 21:34   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We had a terrible time trying to get out of the city and we took an incredible twenty minutes to reach the highway to Salem. We drove through so many narrow lanes that we completely lost our sense of direction and depended on the instructions given by auto drivers to finally exit the city. We were totally exhausted after the experience!!!
Why you had to go to Erode from Kangeyam? And why not the regular Perundarai and NH47 there on?
NH47 bypasses Erode nicely. In fact you wont touch Erode but on Bhavani.
Kangeyam-Perundurai is also a very good road.

Nice snaps as usual. Need not comment on them at all !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 22:37   #126
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

I am just wondering when I will be able to go to Munnar. Terrific pictures of a terrific place CL. Hope I get lucky next year..
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 15:52   #127
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation Re: Our drive continues...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I am just wondering when I will be able to go to Munnar. Terrific pictures of a terrific place CL. Hope I get lucky next year..
Munnar is fantastic during the monsoon! Thanks for the appreciation, Biju bhai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why you had to go to Erode from Kangeyam? And why not the regular Perundarai and NH47 there on?
NH47 bypasses Erode nicely. In fact you wont touch Erode but on Bhavani.
Kangeyam-Perundurai is also a very good road.

Nice snaps as usual. Need not comment on them at all !
Thanks Ampere. We wanted to avoid Coimbatore and NH47 at all costs. It was discussed in my route query thread also. I think the route we took was suggested by NPV and others. I don't know whether we got lost and took a wrong turn and ended up driving more distance!!!

We wanted to stick to NH7 as much as possible!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
+1. Very true! Its a delight to drive in those highways.They have done a good job in transforming the otherwise dry route. I love travelling the Mettur-Bhavani route while driving to Kochi from Bangalore. I am already getting bored of the NH7/NH47 route.
The highway was truly incredible. Infact, we slowed down on numerous occassions to enjoy the natural beauty around us!
Old 26th September 2011, 17:54   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere. We wanted to avoid Coimbatore and NH47 at all costs. It was discussed in my route query thread also. I think the route we took was suggested by NPV and others. I don't know whether we got lost and took a wrong turn and ended up driving more distance!!!
From Kangeyam the road to Perundurai is pretty straight and fantastic, At Perundurai you join 47 and then on its 4L all the way.
By this option you dont need to go to Erode at all. NH47 goes via Bhavani and bypasses all the places.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 17:56   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
From Kangeyam the road to Perundurai is pretty straight and fantastic, At Perundurai you join 47 and then on its 4L all the way.
By this option you dont need to go to Erode at all. NH47 goes via Bhavani and bypasses all the places.
Thanks for the route info, Ampere. I will keep this in mind during our future trips!
Old 28th September 2011, 05:21   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up A memorable drive to Karnataka!

We exited Erode after a gruelling drive though the city. It was one of the most tedious experiences of the whole trip after our hotel hunt in Madurai.

We drove through a narrow two-laned highway and reached the magnificent NH 47 at 6.40 pm. The highway was 4-laned and we picked up speed immediately. Our odo read 109, 525 kms. We had to drive 29 kilometres in and outside Erode to finally reach the NH 47.

The first tollbooth was run by Salem Tollways Ltd., and the user fee was Rs. 41. That tollbooth was located just 4 kilometres away from the point where we joined the NH 47. There was no queue at the booth and we could get out of there easily in less than five minutes.

The highway was incredible and I floored Chevy forward. Daylight was fading fast and we switched on Chevy baby’s headlights. I drove at a stunning pace and reached Salem at 7 pm. Chevy’s odo was at 109, 561 kms. We had covered 36 kilometres in just fifteen minutes!!! Our average speed was 144 kmph!!! Such was the excellent condition of the highway we encountered!!! Truly magnificent!

We drove through the outskirts of Salem city slowly. We ran into numerous traffic jams wherever there was an entry into Salem city. There were traffic signals in all junctions and we had to negotiate all of them. We bypassed Salem city, reached the NH7 and were on our merry way at 7. 15 pm. We reached the Omalur toll plaza at 7.23 pm after covering 8 more kilometres. We paid the user fee of Rs. 53 and drove on. The road condition was superb as always and we never had to apply our brakes. We maintained 110 kmph whenever possible. There was very heavy truck traffic and I had to be extremely careful when overtaking. We also had some Bangy boys for company in their swift cars and we had a fantastic drive. I had to use all my Hellas most of the time, for added safety.

We reached the Krishnagiri Thoppur toll plaza at 8 pm. Our odo read 109, 608 kms. We had covered 39 kilometres from Omalur. We paid a user fee of Rs. 66. We lost more than 5 minutes there due to heavy truck traffic.
We soon drove through the Thoppur ghats. The road was in a terrible condition, was extremely uneven and in some places, the tarred surface was protruding out dangerously. Even trucks were finding the road surface too hot to handle and were slowing down all the time. I had to drive at a brisk pace to keep up my momentum.

It is high time the authorities did something urgently to improve the road surface. When we drove towards Madurai, during our onward journey to TVM, my Chevy’s under body had scraped a particularly nasty bump. If that was the fate of a vehicle with a high ground clearance, I shudder when I think about the destiny of smaller cars on that road!!!

Our drive was super smooth once we passed Thoppur. We reached Krishnagiri at 8. 40 pm. Chevy’s odo read 109, 677 kms. We had covered 108 kilometres in 1 hour and ten minutes. Our average was an incredible 86 kmph, in spite of the painful ten-minute drive through Thoppur.

We did not feel like taking a break and continued our drive. There was heavy truck traffic all the way till Hosur. We bypassed the city at 9. 20 pm and our odo read 109, 723 kms. We had covered 162 kilometres from Salem in approximately one hour and fifty minutes. Our average speed was approximately 88 kmph. I was driving at a blistering pace!!!

We reached Karnataka border at 9. 32 pm. Chevy baby’s odo read 109, 734 kms. We were sad to depart from Tamil Nadu. We vowed to return back sooner than later for another incredible road trip through the splendid NH7!!!

We reached the Attibele toll plaza at 9. 40 pm and paid Rs. 20 as user fee. The road condition deteriorated as soon as we exited TN. The highway in Karnataka was not very well maintained. There were big potholes and the road surface was very poor!

We entered NICE road at 9.55 pm. The exit from the highway to Bangalore is very tricky! Future travellers need to be careful to find it especially at night! The toll charges till the Bannerghatta road exit was Rs. 25. Our odo was at 109, 752 kms then.

At 10. 10 pm, we reached the second tollbooth and paid Rs. 100. Our odo was at 109, 761 kms. This toll would take us till Tumkur.

NICE road was fantastic as always. There was not too much traffic and we could maintain optimum speeds. There were some badly lit barricades put up by the NICE road staff en route to Tumkur. We spotted the iron contraptions at the last minute and slowed down in time. But we enjoyed the drive immensely. The NICE road was pitch dark at night. One needs very powerful headlights for that sort of a highway!

We reached the Tumkur exit at 10. 40 pm. Chevy’s odo was at 109, 806 kms. We had driven 56 kilometres in NICE to finally join the excellent NH 4. We somehow got into a service lane erroneously and missed the tollbooth. We took a u-turn and finally reached the Neelamangala tollbooth at 11 pm and paid Rs. 15 as user fee.

We had driven non-stop in TN and Chevy was in need of fuel! We stopped in a BP pump shortly and filled up Chevy for Rs. 1500 @ Rs. 46.20 per litre. The pump had average rest rooms and we could freshen up.

We restarted our drive after a five-minute break at the pump. By that time we were really famished! Our last meal was at 3. 30 pm and we had had only liquids since then! We spotted a drive in restaurant cum hotel by 11.50 pm and decided to stop there. We knew that it was time for all restaurants to down their shutters and we did not want to take any more chances. The last thing we wanted was to have biscuits for dinner!!!

The restaurant was deserted and we just had two waiters for company. We swiftly ordered some north Indian delicacies and juices for dinner. We had to order all the dishes together as the waiter informed us that it was time for them to close the kitchen! Our dinner was brought out after a twenty-minute delay. We found out that our waiter was a real gorilla. He had a huge potbelly and stood disgustingly close to our faces, when he served us! The expression on my wife’s face was worth a million dollars!!!

We asked him for some more mineral water, but he refused saying that the bill was already prepared. He was so rude that he had brought our bill along with our food. He waited till we started having our dinner and suddenly insisted that I pay him right away. I was quite shocked to see such appalling behaviour and asked him for our bill. That idiot kept the bill in his hand and told me that the total amount was Rs. 280. I instantly sensed that he was lying and asked him to give me the bill, as I wanted to verify it. He reluctantly showed me the bill and what do I see??? The total amount was just Rs. 265! I was at a loss for words! I snatched the bill from his hand and showed it to my wife, who was extremely furious by then! We made sure that we gave him the exact change and not even one single rupee as tip! That was one big repulsive incident that dampened our spirits!!!

We were in no mood to see his face again. We quickly finished our dinner, tipped the hotel’s watchman in front of the waiter’s eyes and were on our way! The time was 12. 30 am by then. The NH4 was quite deserted and we had only some buses and trucks for company. There were about six B7R Volvo buses of VRL road lines, jostling for space and we had a difficult time overtaking them.

One VRL bus’ driver was adamant that he wanted to race with us and kept tailing us at 100 - 110 kmph. There was no way I could shake him off my back, because of traffic.

We reached the Karjivanhalli toll plaza at 1.05 am and paid Rs. 45. Our odo read 109, 888 kms. The highway was superb and we had a terrific drive all the way till Guilalu toll plaza. We reached the booth at 2 am and again paid Rs. 45 as user fee.

The VRL Volvo was trying to race with me and I decided to let him overtake me! I let him satisfy his ego and lead the way for some time. By that time, there were about 3 Karnataka transport corporation’s deluxe buses and about 4 VRL Volvos driving in a convoy! The drivers were creating quite a mess on the road with their haphazard overtaking maneuvers and I had to brake hard twice or thrice because of those stupid drivers.

We had had enough of those idiots and when the next opportunity presented itself, I zoomed off at 140 kmph. I never saw those buses again!!!

We had been driving almost non-stop from Munnar, taking just two food breaks. We were weary and rightly decided to call it a day! My aim was to reach Chitra Durga and halt for the night. We exited the NH 4 at 2.24 am and went inside the fort city of Chitra Durga. Our odo was at 109, 985 kms. The roads inside the city were in tatters and we had a bumpy ride, which knocked off all the fatigue in us!

We drove to the RTO office junction and promptly checked into Hotel Aishwarya Fort. We had stopped at the same hotel for our breakfast during our drive to TVM.

Our Chevy had a good resting place for the night and I switched off his engine one final time that night! Chevy’s odo read 109, 994 kms. We had driven 708 kilometres from Munnar to reach the historic city of CD.

We went to our room, freshened up and crashed for a richly deserved sleep. We were so exhausted and drained out that we slept off in no time!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-aishwarya_fort.jpg
Old 29th September 2011, 21:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Drive back to Pune!

Day 25 – Final day of our journey!

We woke up after a restful sleep by 12 pm. We were in high spirits and were totally invigorated. We were looking forward to the drive on the NH4. We had another 670 odd kilometres to cover to reach our home in Pune!

We had our lunch from the hotel’s veg restaurant at 1.30 pm and later checked out by 2.30 pm. We were able to leave the city behind and join the highway at 3 pm. It started to rain as soon as we touched the highway!

Our Chevy completed another big milestone on NH4. Chevy completed 110,000 kilometres! By the grace of God, Chevy has been accident free till date and he still refuses to let go of his original clutch plates!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-another_milestone_for_chevy.jpg

The highway was fantastic. We kept up speeds of 110 – 120 kmph. We were excited to see thousands of acres of green farmlands all around the highway. There were some crops being cultivated on most of the farms and we enjoyed the scenery greatly!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-farmland.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-3-farm.jpg

The highway was maintained very well!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-4-nh4.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-5-beautiful_nh4.jpg

We reached the Motebennur railway crossing shortly. We saw a huge truck lying in a ditch. Its back wheels had been torn off the chasis!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-6-motebennur_railway_crossing.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-7-truck_accident.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-8-wheels_detached_from_the_chasis.jpg

Luckily there was no train scheduled to pass by at that time and we enjoyed a smooth drive past the level crossing. There were many more beautiful farmlands en route!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-9-a_farm.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-12-coconut_farm.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-13-beautiful_farmland.jpg

We were quite wary about the notorious unmarked bumps on the NH4. I knew that there were some nasty bumps after Chitradurga and was watching the road like a hawk!

The first of the bumps was approximately 40 kilometres after CD. The bumps were indeed nasty and I had to brake hard. The bumps were hardly visible!!!

After our trip to Ooty in 2010, we were returning to Pune and I could not see this bump at night. Needless to say Chevy jumped off the bump at 110 kmph!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-10-unmarked_bumps.jpg

Traffic hazard!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-11-traffic_hazard.jpg

Our drive was smooth after negotiating that particular section. We bypassed Davangere at 3.52 pm. Our Chevy’s odo was at 110, 063 kms. There was a small diversion after the bypass and we had to drive on the right lane for some kilometres! We came across another speed breaker at 110, 092 kms. This time, I literally had to stand on my Chevy’s brakes to bring him under control. Luckily we managed somehow! Those bumps were a real pain! There was another tollbooth near the bump and it had not yet started operating!

We enjoyed our drive on the NH4 and cruised at optimum speeds. But at the back of our minds, we were nervous that another bump might hit us out of the blue! And we had to be extra cautious! It was drizzling continuously from the time we left CD!

By 5.24 pm, we decided to put in some more fuel and drove to an HP pump. Our odo read 110, 173 kms. It was a pure coincidence that we had been to this pump in 2008 during our drive back to Pune from TVM. I knew that there was a Kamat restaurant and Fleurs toilets in the pump. We had had Masala Dosas from the restaurant then!! But this time, the hotel was totally closed and the toilets were in a terrible condition. We filled in diesel for Rs. 500 @ Rs. 46.35 per litre.

We took a small break there. My windshield water reservoir was nearly empty after the constant use of the sprayers due to rain and muddy road conditions. We filled up the cleaning fluid, checked all other vital liquid levels in Chevy and were finally on our way by 5.45 pm.

Shortly after leaving the pump, we saw two gentlemen on Harley Davidson bikes! They were in full riding gear, except for the knee pads! We had a gala time shooting them! The bikes were awesome! Simply superb! The engine sound was divine!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-14-harley_dudes.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-15-harley_dude.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-16-what_a_bike.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-17-superb.jpg

The guys were bewildered at first seeing our enthusiasm! But soon they reciprocated our feelings!!!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-18-handsome_guy.jpg

Folks, please let me know the name/model number of these bikes!!!

We reached Hubli at 6. 20 pm. Chevy’s odo was at 110, 218 kms. The Hubli – Dharwad bypass was two laned! We enjoyed the drive greatly as there was absolutely no traffic on the highway!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-19-two_laned_nh4_to_dharwad.jpg

We reached Belgaum at 8 pm. The highway was excellent all the way and we did not have to worry about the terrible bumps! The drizzle, which started in CD, had turned into a torrential downpour by then! Our Hellas were brilliant and lit up the road perfectly. Still, we decided to bring down our speed to 100 kmph.

We entered Maharashtra state at 9.50 pm and bypassed Kolhapur at 10 pm. We were quite hungry by then and decided to have our dinner break. We stopped at Hotel Sai Samrat Garden after the Kini toll plaza at 10.50 pm. We had a leisurely diner and took a well deserved break. We had been driving continuously from CD and we had covered 480 odd kilometres by then.

We restarted our final part of the drive by 11.50 pm. It was still drizzling and we had to be extremely careful due to the appearance of potholes all of a sudden! There was absolutely no such problem in Karnataka, but in MH, the conditions were different. We took a small video from our Chevy! Our Hellas were exceptional. Video shot with my N95!

We reached the outskirts of Pune at 2.30 am. We were stopped near Dhankawadi by a police patrol. The DCP of Pune Traffic Police was supervising the check post. We were asked to show all vehicle documents and the cops even inspected our bags. One cop took down all our details and was surprised to hear that we were coming from CD. He took one look at my number plate and asked me whether I believed in astrology! I replied that I had no such beliefs. He just nodded his head and told me that I had a fantastic number and that I will never ever face any problem because of my Chevy. I was stunned by his words and all I could say was that by the grace of God, we were still going strong after 110, 000 kilometres!!!

The cop let us go shortly with a drive safe message. We reached our home in Pune at 2.50 am. Chevy’s odo read 110, 670 kms. We were so happy that we were finally back home and had enjoyed a great vacation! I switched off Chevy’s beautiful heart one last time that night! We thanked God for being with us throughout our drive!

A big thanks to my dear wife who took thousands of pics during our drive! Without those pics, this travelogue wouldn’t have materialized! She was my pillar of strength and supported me fully during our 1500 km drive on Day 1!

Finally a big thank you to our dear Team Bhpians for coming with us to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Munnar! I hope all of you enjoyed our pics!

I hope to take you all on another incredible Roadtrip soon! Till then, Bye!

Last edited by GTO : 30th September 2011 at 16:24. Reason: As per your reported post, making the youtube video appear properly
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 22:26   #132
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for taking us back to Pune safely. We enjoyed the trip more than both of you. You have inspired me to dash to mesmerizing Munnar. (More on that later)
Your Chevy is also probably enjoying and it shows with the original clutch plates.
Best wishes to your next incredible road trip. Until then.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 10:39   #133
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!

Wonderful travelogue Chevy_lover. Highly appreciate the details captured by you and time spent to share the wonderful experience with us. I visited Munnar last week and wonderful as shown by you. I shall share the travelogue in the weekend.

Thank you once again and take care.
Indian Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 10:49   #134
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Drive back to Pune!

Quote:
1. Our Chevy completed another big milestone on NH4. Chevy completed 110,000 kilometres! By the grace of God, Chevy has been accident free till date and he still refuses to let go of his original clutch plates!!!

2. Traffic hazard!

3. Folks, please let me know the name/model number of these bikes!!!

4. Finally a big thank you to our dear Team Bhpians for coming with us to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Munnar! I hope all of you enjoyed our pics!

5. I hope to take you all on another incredible Roadtrip soon! Till then, Bye!
1. Congratulations CL on this milestone. Wishing you many more happy miles without the clutch plate change.

2. I am shocked to see this snap of the bullock cart. He is on the fast lane but with not so fast vehicle and more importantly on the wrong side of the road.

3. Lovely Harleys. Sadly not an expert and cannot help you with the names.

4. Thanks to you and your wife for taking us on this wonderful journey.

5. Eagerly waiting for my next incredible trip. Diwali/Christmas holidays are on the way. I guess you are already planning it. :-)
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 17:18   #135
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
2. I am shocked to see this snap of the bullock cart. He is on the fast lane but with not so fast vehicle and more importantly on the wrong side of the road.

3. Lovely Harleys. Sadly not an expert and cannot help you with the names.
Thanks a ton for the appreciation, Amit.
These pics will help you understand how ignorant some highway users are!!!
In North India, people drive on the wrong lane at full speed without a care in the world!

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-2-vehicles_coming_in_the_same_lane.jpg

An Incredible Roadtrip to Trivandrum, Velankanni and Mesmerizing Munnar!-1-vehicles_coming_in_the_same_lane.jpg
They really do not understand how dangerous it is to drive on the wrong side!

@Indian Ranger & @rajeev k, thanks a lot for the appreciation! Now it is your turn to entertain us with your travelogues! Let me relax!!!

Can someone identify the Harley bikes, please???

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 30th September 2011 at 17:20.