Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd January 2012, 23:54   #1621
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Tanveer, did you manage to drive the full route (Agham-Shayok-Durbuk) or had to turn back from the spot where the bridge across the river was broken?

What is your current assessment of the route?
We drove the whole route. Broken bridge was crossed using girdirs. Full details in my 2010 travelogue(wilderness chronicals)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 12:19   #1622
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Another interesting incident happened the morning we were to leave from Hanle. After puffing the morning dose Me and Yogen were looking for a place for some land fertilization. After looking at the number of people in the waiting list, we decided to drive away from the little village and find a nice land for our fertilization process. We reached a suitable place in Yogens Swift and got of the road to go inwards on the look out. We ended up in a little sandy surface and decided to walk in opposite directions. After a nice session both of us got back to the car and started to move back towards the road back to the house all of us were staying in. To our surprise, Yogens swift happened to in the softest spot of the sand and refused to move. It did not have any traction at all. There was no connectivity with any of the team members and for their help the only way was to walk all the way back and call them for help. After some 15 mins of rigorous pushing, accelerating, turning and what not, we were finally able to come out of it. Its not that we did not get stuck anywhere before this, but just 2 of us to rescue us out did give us some sense of achievement.
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 09:00   #1623
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Captain - we are waiting for your account for the three days. Where are you ? Will you be posting soon? Should we move on?
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 16:58   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Along the banks of the Pangong Lake, Lukung to Merak, Aug 29, 2011: View from the Scorpio front seat

Shot using HVK Scorpio Car Cam
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 17:50   #1625
BHPian

Mind-blowing. Spectacular Pictures all of you. This is turning out to be a wealth of information for somebody traveling to these places.

It will be really helpful to have this entire travelogue offline in a local hard disk when somebody travels to these places.

When this travelogue is completed will it be possible to compile the entire travelogue in a file or something. Or will it be possible to save all the 150 odd pages for reference offline ?

Styler
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 17:56   #1626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Mind-blowing. Spectacular Pictures all of you. This is turning out to be a wealth of information for somebody traveling to these places.

It will be really helpful to have this entire travelogue offline in a local hard disk when somebody travels to these places.

When this travelogue is completed will it be possible to compile the entire travelogue in a file or something. Or will it be possible to save all the 150 odd pages for reference offline ?

Styler
Thanks for the compliments

Yes, we are planning to re-organise the content into a Adobe-type format with relevant photos, sequential text and other info like log books, GPS tracks, videos, etc, once the TL is done. That should be done before the next season for Ladakh begins.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2012, 19:33   #1627
Senior - BHPian

Route from Chushul to Tsaga la, Ladakh: View from HVK Scorpio front seat

Old 26th January 2012, 20:42   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Reaching Hanle - View from HVK Scorpio front seat

Old 27th January 2012, 10:00   #1629
BHPian

Hi HVK:

Enjoyed seeing your Video-clips from the Car-Cam! Nice to watch, good editing and great music too!!

-KS

Last edited by kesri : 27th January 2012 at 10:03.
kesri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:25   #1630
Senior - BHPian

The Car Cam Videos - my Scorpio car cam records from the minute the ignition is turned on. What you see in the videos above is an edited version of the clippings through the day's drive. e.g. the 3 videos above are less than 10 minutes from what was a 10 hour drive. The original car cam videos come with ambient sound, Google Map display/GPS tracking, date/time stamp, Altitude, speed of the vehicle, etc, but I have to do a painful 2 stage conversion from the car cam proprietary ub1 format to AVI and then edit in WMV. The music is added when uploaded in You Tube.

You must have noticed form the vidoes the following:

- You must do your route research intensively beforehand

- There are no signages anywhere on the "road"

- The "road" itself is in many places simply a dirt track where you find the way to take only by the other tyre tracks

- In many places (such as in Chushul Tsaga la), I was simply steering by targetting the mountain top!

- Whenever any sub-"road" branched off, there are often no signages, so the visual indicators (like what I said above) only help

- I do not use GPS indicators or devices (to find the track) on what are actually "proper" routes, only to record the routes I go on

- The "roads" themselves keep transforming from dirt tracks to excellent tarmac in some sections (e.g. Loma-Hanle section is excellent tar because it serves crucial border positions)

- In some sections, the "roads" descend into water crossings or run into loose sand, slush or rocky terrain which need careful negotiation and minding the underbody

- Remember this video is from my Scorpio, it is not as easy a sit looks for a small car or sedan.

- There are time of day issues. I would avoid driving on any of these tracks after dark - not just because of weather changes or risk of breakdown - but also because it will be impossible to visually identify the tyre tracks that indicate the "road". Examples on the Pangong-Chushul-Hanle-Tso Moriri route are the Spangimik-Man-Merak-Chusul-Tsaga la-Tsaga sector and the Tso Kiagar-Karzok (for Tso M) sector

- There are no "facilities" and as you may have deduced hardly any villages too. However, villagers are friendly and in worst-case scenario, they could be the saviours

- Since the Lukung-Chushul-Loam route is recently opened to civilians, the route is not tourist-friendly and the villagers are very friendly and curious. Do not go expecting to find mineral water in Chushul!

- Villages themselves are a few building affairs, you may not get even a cuppa tea. AS I explained earlier, after leaving Spangimik, we did not get a single place for food & drink till Puga Sumdo (since in Hanle also I did not see any restaurants or tea shops and we were grateful to find the homestay where we stayed in)

- These "roads" are from the best and most stable period in the "season" - expect these routes to be in bad condition in the earlier time of the season such as Jun-Aug.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 11:26   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Car Cam Videos - my Scorpio car cam records from the minute the ignition is turned on.
Kumar Sir,
What is the technology being used? How is the setup done? How much of HDD space gets used for typical 60 minutes of driving? Please do share some links on the setup if its available in the market.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 12:12   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Kumar Sir,
What is the technology being used? How is the setup done? How much of HDD space gets used for typical 60 minutes of driving? Please do share some links on the setup if its available in the market.
There are 2 types of car cameras - one with GPS and one without.

I use the one with GPS.
It is fixed onto the car windscreen next to the rear view mirror.
It's wide angled lens gets the entire vista outside the windscreen as you can see from the image.
It has no battery (at least mine does not) and needs a dedicated power connection - I use one of the cigar lighter points.
Comes on when you switch on ignition (there is also a way to keep it on at all times if you want)
Starts recording automatically
My car cam has 5 fps quality, nowadays they come 30 fps +, which is much better quality than mine.
Records GPS coordinates, calculates speed, records ambient audio.
Prints date and time stamp. Also plots drive trajectory.
Calculates speed of car based on GPS.
Mine has no live display (some models have that also), so I cannot see what is being recorded.
Video is stored in flash. Keeps overwriting once full.
So if you want to save/ store, I have to remove flash and copy onto my computer.
In my case, I get some 12 hours of drive in a 1GB flash. In newer models with higher resolution, obviously it needs more storage.
I use a 4GB flash. During trips like Ladakh when I cannot download onto my laptop (because of high altitude HDD issues), I switch to another flash once I think the first is full.
The camera has image stabiliser so there is no image shake however much the car wobbles - you can make out in some images how much the car is rolling but images are steady.
Night time also images are OK, as good as what you see with your headlights.

MY car cam recording is in some proprietary ub1 format - obviously a bundling of video, audio, GPS coordinates, Google Maps, etc. I can only export it to AVI format, although current models enable you to go for MP3 or whatever.

I have been using this car cam (cost me USD 400 outside India, prices now are much less) since early 2009 and all my drives are recorded and stored which means all my lovely drives to Ladakh (2009 & 2011), North East (2009) and other places in India are available as videos although I have no time and patience to process and edit them into watchable movies. In other words, every minute of my drives is available on record.

My type of car cam is not available in India, but you can procure it abroad online. Ensure that you ship it to a US address and bring it physically to avoid Customs-related hassles in India if couriered.

Here is the link to buying them, Car Cameras | Dash Cams | Car Camera | Vehicle Cameras

And this is how it looks when I download int onto the special software:
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-car-cam.jpg
hvkumar is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 12:25   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Perfect, many thanks for the update. This would be a wonderful tool to add on.
ku69rd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 22:24   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Let me continue Jeep Captain's Photologue (he is travelling, it has been a very long time since we saw his photos, last were at Diskit Gompa)

Here are some photos from the Hunder-Turtuk route

Day 16
27th August 2011
Leh to TurTuk Drive

Jeep Captain's Photologue

The Bactrian Camels with NJ in the Hunder sand dunes
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0369e.jpg

Meeting the Car India & Bike India team, exchanging tips on routes
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0374e.jpg

After tractors, trucks, etc, Jeep Captain tries out the mobike from the Bike India team
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0394e.jpg

Only HE could dare get into the cold water for a "swim"
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0404e.jpg

When we despaired at the browns, reds & yellows, here is some green on teh way from Hunder to Chalunka
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0420e.jpg

Nubra Valley had some of the best roads in all of Ladakh - after all, these fringe the border with POK & China
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0430e.jpg

Fresh water streams joining the River Shayok
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0437e.jpg

Can crumble down any time.....
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0465e.jpg

Round the bend in the river....
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0480e.jpg

Are we really in dry Ladakh or are we in the Western Ghats?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_9886e.jpg

In case you want to note down details of the place where we stayed at Turtuk
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_9894e.jpg

Jeep Captain checking out why this village of Turtuk is self-sufficient for food
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_9969e.jpg

Last edited by hvkumar : 27th January 2012 at 22:35.
Old 27th January 2012, 23:11   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Continuing Jeep Captain's Photologue (he is travelling)

Here are some photos from the Turtuk-Pangong route

Day 17
28th August 2011
TurTuk to Pangong Drive

Jeep Captain's Photologue

Driving as sunrise breaks towards Hunder - we must be the first wierdos to ever leave from Turtuk so early
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0509e.jpg

More landscapes in the Nubra Valley
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0001e.jpg

Leaving the main road and going towards Agham
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0595e.jpg

After Agham, here is the village of Tangyar & the road ahead up to Wari la
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_9991e.jpg

Descending the Wari la down "short cuts"
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0665e.jpg

Chemerey Gompa near Sakti
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0701e.jpg

The mean bolt that punctured Jeep Captain's Bolero tyre at Karu
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0726e.jpg

....and the broken leaf springs in HVK's Scorpio which delayed us that day
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0603e.jpg

All photos are from either J C's or NJ's cameras.