Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th February 2012, 01:00   #1786
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

Ladakh Festival in Leh
Cultural Procession

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-061.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-063.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-064.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-065.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-066.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-067.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-068.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-069.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-3-070.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 01:12   #1787
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

Ladakh Festival in Leh
Cultural Procession

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-4-038.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-4-039.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-4-040.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-4-041.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-4-042.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-4-043.jpg

These are the last set of pics of the Ladakh Festival.

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 20th February 2012 at 01:13.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:49   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

Ladakh Festival in Leh

These are the last set of pics of the Ladakh Festival.
Amazing pics JC!! Looks like we missed a lot of fun
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 18:16   #1789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Amazing pics JC!! Looks like we missed a lot of fun
Dear Kaushik,,
Thanks
Yes it was amazing.. you guys missed it. But not to worry. Lets go again next year. SHALL WE?
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 18:42   #1790
BHPian

Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

While the we all were Enjoying Ladakh Festival and the Procession, Our Discovery Bolero was getting serviced and prepared for the last leg of our Expedition which is also going to be the longest Leg. Leh to Adoor, Kerala. Which is about 4500 Kilometers.

This is how the route is looking for "The Final Leg of Expedition for Discovery Bolero- Leh to Adoor, Kerala"

Name:  Leh To Adoor.JPG
Views: 2367
Size:  400.9 KB

Bolero getting serviced for the Long and Final Leg.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-002.jpg

This Bolero has already done 8000km during this Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-003.jpg

8000 km done - Still going strong -Bolero! Take on Anything which is an M&M Tagline for its advt is very apt for this Vehicle.
We can vouch for that

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-004.jpg

This is the Third time Discovery Bolero is getting serviced in the same Garage in Leh in this Expedition.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-006.jpg

Found a nice & cute Dog near the Service Centre. I love the Himalayan /Tibetan Dogs

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-001.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 20th February 2012 at 18:54.
Old 20th February 2012, 20:47   #1791
BHPian

Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

We got the Bolero Serviced, and by 2:00 PM We were back in the Jorchung Guest. Checked out and started loading our luggage on to Bolero.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-007.jpg

The Roomboys @ Jorchung was also very helpful.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-008.jpg

NED aka Baby Alto also packed his bag and loaded into his Alto.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-009.jpg

While everyone was busy packing and loading. I decided to click some more pics around Jorchung Guest House.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-010.jpg

Jorchung Family House.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-011.jpg

The beautiful garden - I am going to miss this. But I will defenitely come back soon.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-013.jpg

Time to bid farewell to Leh and the wonderful hospitality or Jorchung Family. I would recommend this amazing guest house to any one travelling to Leh. Its very close to the Leh town ( 5 minutes walk) , yet away from the busy streets and you will find abundant parking space

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-016.jpg

Bolero was losing tyre pressure (5-6 pounds) on rear LHS tyre since Tso Moriri and we have been inflating it with the portable compressor every 200 kms. Yesterday due to Eid we couldnt find any tyre shops and we are hoping to get it fixed today

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-018.jpg

All Fluids were checked and topped up. Battery ,Fan Belt and all the Hoses also checked.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-019.jpg

TS aka Tadek looked sad .And normally you never see him sitting anywhere like this. He is the most cheerful in our entire IPHE Team.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-020.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 20th February 2012 at 21:11.
Old 20th February 2012, 21:17   #1792
BHPian

Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

With Mr. Tundup, Owner of Jorchung Guest House. Very friendly and helpful person.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-026.jpg

I couldn't resist taking pics of the apples since I know this may be the last opportunity to click Apple pics during this Expedition.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-021.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-022.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-023.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-024.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-025.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-027.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-030.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-037.jpg

Thats My New Jeep!! - Details to Follow.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leh-part-5-032.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 20th February 2012 at 21:25.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:41   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets go again next year. SHALL WE?
Next year for sure! But looking at a few winter pics from a friend i am feeling/planning/hoping to go next month. Hope it works out.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:43   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes it was amazing.. you guys missed it. But not to worry. Lets go again next year. SHALL WE?
Hello JeepCaptain,

Are there any plans to go to ladakh next year (in 2012)? If yes then there are many like me who would like to be a part of the Team.

Request you to please share any such plan in 2012.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 11:46   #1795
Senior - BHPian

JC some of your pics tell me that you were missing a super zoom lens for sure

But some really

Its always sad when such a epic journey comes to an end but for the Bolero its another journey which started from Leh

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd February 2012 at 00:30. Reason: NOTE: Only 2 smilies allowed per post. Please read the Announcements before proceeding. Thanks.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 15:23   #1796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Next year for sure! But looking at a few winter pics from a friend i am feeling/planning/hoping to go next month. Hope it works out.
Dear KSM-Vtec, Thats wonderful news Kaushik. Let me know the dates. I will see if I can join atleast for few days! Its like I am not able to resist any call to vist Ladakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello JeepCaptain,

Are there any plans to go to ladakh next year (in 2012)? If yes then there are many like me who would like to be a part of the Team.

Request you to please share any such plan in 2012.

Thanks,
Dear Jignesh, Yes we have a plan for another Expedition this year. And you are more than welcome to join us.Please add me on FB and I will keep you posted.
www.facebook.com\jeepcaptain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
JC some of your pics tell me that you were missing a super zoom lens for sure

But some really

Its always sad when such a epic journey comes to an end but for the Bolero its another journey which started from Leh
Dear motomaverick, Thanks a lot. Yes a super zoom camera is long pending in my list. This time I didnt try to get it , because we had many professional & semi professional photographers like Lalu, Tadek, Gautam (BolBolero), Vyas (NED), Ajay(akaush), Aswin in our team.

Yes you are right.. for my Bolero it was start of another Expedition. FYI- for Discovery Bolero it was a 31 day /12,500 Expedition from Adoor, Kerala to Himalayas and back.

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 21st February 2012 at 15:26.
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 16:59   #1797
Senior - BHPian

Shibu, great to see the pics of the festival, a new for me. And are you serious about that Jeep!
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:41   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Jignesh, Yes we have a plan for another Expedition this year. And you are more than welcome to join us.Please add me on FB and I will keep you posted.
www.facebook.com\jeepcaptain.
Shibu,
Have sent you the request on FB, can you please share atleast the tentative dates? Planning to do the trip to Leh/Ladakh this year. hopefully the dates will merge.
Beautiful pictures on the festival though, how about the hornbill festival in Nagaland any plans
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:51   #1799
Senior - BHPian

HVK Scorpio
Aug 12, Bombay-Behror, 1402 kms
Aug 13, Behror-Rampur, 692 kms
Aug 14, Rampur-Chitkul, 144 kms
Aug 15, Chitkul-Pooh, 207 kms
Aug 16, Pooh-Kaza, 178 kms
Aug 17-19, Kaza, 291 kms
Aug 20, Kaza-Jispa, 236 kms
Aug 21, Jispa-Leh, 374 kms
Aug 22, Leh-Kargil, 343 kms
Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms
Aug 24, Padum-Kargil, 275 kms
Aug 25, Kargil-Leh, 259 kms
Aug 26, Leh, 148 kms
Aug 27, 2011, Leh-Turtuk, 241 kms
Aug 28, 2011, Leh-Pangong Tso, 445 kms
Aug 29, 2011, Pangong-Hanle, 203 kms
Aug 30, 2011, Hanle-Tso Moriri, 188 kms
Aug 31, 2011, Tso Moriri-Keylong, 375 kms

Sep 2, 2011, Keylong-Chamba, 341 kms

Good bath. Good dinner. Good Facebook updates. Good sleep. HPTDC Chandrabhaga will hold some sweet memories for all of us this trip.

Quote:
Kaushik says,

After a long day from Tso Moriri to Keylong and also the emotional team split at Debring we had retired in our rooms in Hotel Chandra Bhaga.

Retired yes; but the mind was agitated..what was going to happen the next day? The guys with the SUVs have been scared by the horrors of the sector, Will we be able to make it in the Swifts?

We had taken a brave decisions to do the Sach Pass route but will this wishful thinking result in a foolish failure?

Will we have to turn back and go all the way to Leh (remember Rohtang was in a real bad condition) and then via Srinagar spending 4-5 extra days just to get to the other side of Sach Pass? What if we attempt a bad patch and the car gets damaged real bad? What if the car doesn't remain drivable?

Is it even theoretically possible for a Swift to do Sach Pass even if Stig or God himself were to drive it? Will attempting an impossible section Kill us?

Was it over optimism and foolishness on my part in almost forcing YP, KP & AP to take the Sach route even after comments like "If you love yourself & your cars don’t do Sach Pass" from a friend who had just done it, called it a mistake and swore never to do it again.

I was Lying in bed failing to answer these questions BUT something inside me said "Lets give it a try at least, having come so far lets at least go till the point where we are forced to turn back" this thought left me with a few more questions - "Will you be able to identify the point which is impossible to cross in a Swift? Will you not foolishly attempt an impossible section thinking it can be done? Will you chicken out earlier than required?"

Everything was at stake...Life, Time, Luck, Cars, Money........With a prayer in my heart i almost forced myself to sleep.

Surprisingly, there was a chill in the morning, despite that Keylong is only 10,000 feet altitude, quite way below what we had become accustomed to all these days.

During the previous trip, HPTDC packed up breakfast for us even though we were leaving early in the morning, but this time, they pleaded that they were all asleep that early, so please excuse us.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5175.jpg

Quote:
Gautam says,

Really a very comfortable night’s sleep. Was feeling really good and refreshed after the good rest, so to feel better, spent some time early in the morning SHAVING and getting myself to look more presentable!

Not getting breakfast was a bit of a dampener, but we managed to fortify ourselves with the premix tea we were carrying. Life saver, wouldn't you say??

There was a bit of a nip in the air, maybe due to fact that it had drizzled the night before!

We had already checked out the previous night, so we let ourselves out.
The prospect of a long difficult drive ahead of us did not dampen our enthusiasm a bit, Keylong is such a lovely place.

Even my Scorpio – charged up by the distilled water the previous night – was infected with our sense of joy that it started at first crank!

Quote:
Gautam says,

Some relief that HVK's Scorpio started in one crank!
This is the reason why Keylong is such a lovely little town. Surrounded by mountains all around it, with the River Bhaga running alongside….

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1492.jpg

Quote:
Gautam says,

What we saw of Keylong early in the morning was truly mesmerising!

….what a lovely sunrise.
This shot is from BolBOlero’s lens.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5162.jpg

We left Keylong at 615 am, a little late by our standards, but our simple target that day was to somehow cross Sach Pass and go over the other side to Bairavgarh, Tissa or Chamba, as the pace took us.

We were even prepared to end the day at Khillar if we made slow progress too.

We were back on schedule and I knew that we could be back in Bombay in time for Lalu to take his pre-booked flight back to Bangalore since I had buffered in some delay factors into the schedule for the next 2 days.

We had already refueled the previous day and had forsaken our extra cans because the distance was only 250 ksm without a petrol pump which was well within the range of all our cars.

Quote:
Lalu says,
Don't know what to expect! It should be one hell of a ride! Tales from Saji and Glenn - Scary!

It was the first time for all of us on this Keylong-Sach Pass-Chamba route, about which we hardly knew anything, had read a few snippets of info filed by a daring few who had biked it that way before.

Kesri, our friend, had taken a taxi ride across a few weeks ago and I was lucky to sit down with him (in Bombay), see his photos and read about his drive experiences, and was convinced that if a overloaded Mahindra Maxx taxi could do it, so could I!

Therefore, even the gory tales from a traumatized Glenn, Saji & Justin did not make us unfazed.

Quote:
Kaushik says,

The next morning was full of questions again...but the moment we went down to our cars, started our engines and saw the view around we were filled with confidence and were ready to hit the road!!!

The town of Tandi is a junction where the road to Udeypur/Chamba separates from the one leading on to Manali/Kaza via Gramphoo.
And the journey to Dalhousie had begun……

Quote:
Gautam says,

We were late, considering that we were going to be driving through some unknown terrain! And what we had heard about the road, was not good at all!
The simple target of crossing the Sach Pass and reaching any of the towns on the other side was not what I had in mind! Killar was where I wanted to stay the night and attempt to cross the Sach Pass the next day. Ofcourse I did not disclose my thoughts to any of the others, hoping that they would soon realise the futility of trying to cross over the same day!

Keeping my thoughts to myself we reached the junction at Tandi.........
Name:  DSC_3612.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  330.5 KB

All photos are from the albums of KSM-vTEC, Lalu KS & BolBolero

This is the beginning of a long day - a day that was of differing length for each of us, a distance target not to be scoffed at for being so little......to be continued

Note: This is an unique collaborative post where many members of the IPHE - A team are writing together, and the text in Paras enclosed in QUOTE boxes is original and not written earlier, they have been boxed simply for emphasis, hence do not omit to read what is written inside the Quote boxes

Last edited by hvkumar : 22nd February 2012 at 18:54.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:18   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

Ladakh Festival in Leh
Cultural Procession

Is that a INSAS or a Kalashnikov?I think one is an INSAS. I see that one ITBP jawan has two catridges, is that a double catridge or a stuck as a emergency? Experts help!!
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote