Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd February 2012, 23:12   #1801

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo

Is that a INSAS or a Kalashnikov?I think one is an INSAS. I see that one ITBP jawan has two catridges, is that a double catridge or a stuck as a emergency? Experts help!!
Not an expert, but it should be an INSAS, since it is the standard weapon of indian force.

That cartridge with yellow tape is thick. So it has to be two cartridges attached adjacent to each other. So you can call it a double cartridge.
itspb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:48   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post
Not an expert, but it should be an INSAS, since it is the standard weapon of indian force.

That cartridge with yellow tape is thick. So it has to be two cartridges attached adjacent to each other. So you can call it a double cartridge.
I think i saw in few movies where they have taped the cartridges like that jawan in the picture. The open mouth has been taped opposite to each other to facilitate quick reload where the jawan does not need to dig into his bag and also maybe it gives grip. Just my take
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:53   #1803
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Day 21
1st September 2011

Jeep Captains Photologue

Ladakh Festival in Leh
Cultural Procession

Attachment 890704
The first is a INSAS for sure! The long barrel is typical for INSAS and the third/fourth image(taped catridge) is an AK. Look at the tip of the barrel for the sight. It could also be a East german MPI/OKB Ak47(Romanian/ukraine). Yes, on zooming that image we see that the second catridge is simply taped and not loaded into the rifle. I think its for faster reloading as said by motomaverick sir.

Image of a Indian RAF(Rapid Action Force) women constable with similar rifle(AK/MPI/OKB made) on UN duty:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg266...jpg&res=medium

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 23rd February 2012 at 17:58.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:06   #1804
BHPian

Ohhh, what a great travelogue this has turned into.

Thanks to HVK, I came to know of the plans for this expedition in June. was quite excited about joining it but sadly couldn't join due to work commitments.

The fact that you guys made it with a Alto and swifts in your team was a great morale booster for me. It gave me confidence of taking my SX4 to Ladakh.

I large number of mails that were exchanged between members has benefited me a lot.

I would like to thank HVK and all the team members in helping me to plan and execute the trip.
pushkark is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 20:03   #1805
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm..
A lot of Gun talks. Kind of scary

Let me put some pictures to put the log back to track.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 20:23   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 21
1st September 2011
Key Long - Sach Pass - Chamba

By 06:00AM we all got ready and got out of the Hotel for the most adventerous and scary drive of the trip.

Weather was chill and the sun just about rising for the day
Name:  DSC_3593.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  162.5 KB

Golden rays on the mountain
Name:  DSC_3598.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  169.6 KB

Golden rays faded off soon
Name:  DSC_3605.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  160.6 KB

May be the scare in our minds clouded the skies too!
Name:  DSC_3606.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  153.5 KB

HPTDC Chandrabhaga were we stayed
Name:  DSC_3597.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  278.4 KB

A crazy shot to get the full hotel
Name:  Keylong Hotel.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  131.7 KB

The mountains as seen from the hotel
Name:  DSC_3602.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  224.4 KB

Name:  DSC_3603.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  273.9 KB

Red Red Flower!!
Name:  DSC_3607.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  341.8 KB

We drove out slowly and passed another economical hotel Dupchen Inn. He was the guy who gave us the details of the condition of the Keylong route when we were holed up in Kaaza.

Information for you
Name:  DSC_3609.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  483.5 KB

Swifty on the go!
Name:  DSC_3610.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  343.5 KB

By 06:30AM we reached the turn off from Manali Keylong route to Sach pass.
Name:  DSC_3612.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  330.5 KB

The convoy before the turn off to the great adventure
Name:  DSC_3613.jpg
Views: 3536
Size:  317.1 KB

continued...

Over to HVK for the next episodes.
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 17:18   #1807
Senior - BHPian

OT - Guys our HVKumar and his Scorpio just finished 3L kms and 7 years of companionship and touring in India on 23rd Feb 2012 when he and JeepCaptain were on the way to Desert Storm 2012. CONGRATS HVK!!!

Name:  .facebook_635123293.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  44.7 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1066-2.jpg

Name:  .facebook_117903111.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  82.5 KB

Name:  .facebook_886523024.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  47.6 KB

I am sure we all know that ....apart from the IPHE2011 there is a loooonnngg list of destinations to which he has driven his Scorpio. (I am sure it will take him a lot of time to compile the details...till then lets have a small/quick party)

Name:  .facebook_49279294.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  82.0 KB

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0935e.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_0936.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1377e.jpg

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 27th February 2012 at 17:31.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 21:16   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats HVK, and wish you many more miles in your Scorp.

Well Desert Storm! That too with Jeep Captain! That explains why we are not getting updates on Sach pass.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:21   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Sorry for going .

Big Congrats to H V Kumar for completing 3,00,000 in his Scorpio. Wish you many miles of exciting & safe driving. Hope to see your Scrorpio touching 5,00,000 mark in near future.

The more you drive the more you write your logs & more are they useful to others.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:07   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
HVK Scorpio

Sep 2, 2011, Keylong-Chamba, 341 kms

[
And the journey to Dalhousie had begun……

What were the Key Issues Of Concern for that day's drive?

Ignorance is bliss: It was a totally unknown route for us, none of us had ever driven on it before. However, we had great inputs from a friend Naren Kaimal (who had driven a Forrester that route a year ago), kesri (who had taken a taxi ride just a month ago across the Sach Pass) and of course Glenn/Saji who had driven in a Scorpio just 15 days before our own drive.

Small cars don't have the DNA? We had a major disequilibrium - 2 SUVs & 2 Swifts. While we were wary of our SUV performing (and since Glenn had done it in a Scorpio, we were quite confident), but we had never heard of small cars on this road.

Information network: Our confidence was boosted by the confidence that the taxi operator in Chamba (Mr Sharma of Tashika Travels) gave me when I called him up to find out of his taxis were plying the Khillad-Chamba route and ascertained that they were also 2WD Mahindra Maxx UVs - and fully loaded ones!

In-house facilities: We knew that there were zero facilities en route and had refuelled at Tandi (enough fuel to take us that day without carrying extra fuel) and were prepared not to have any food outside, relying instead on our own in-car stocks.

Oasis Khillad: Before Sach Pass, the only place with hotels was Khillad and we were ready - in worst case scenaroo - to stay there. I already had the details of the only "good" hotel (Hotel Chamba Palace) in Khillad.

Car Blues: My Scorpio was under-performing - its belt pulley bearings appeared to be failing big-time and I was ****-scared that it would seize and land me in big trouble - if the bearing seized or belt broke, that would mean driving without brakes, cooling system & power steering! Therefore, I had to treat the pulley with kid gloves by not revving too high, instead slipping into higher gears as quickly as possible. In fact, I mastered the technique of climbing up the steepest gradients in 3rd & 4th gears throughout, only occasionally slipping down to lower gears on the steepest of hairpin bends.

The Gods will be mad: I would have loved to go to the holy Triloknath temple before Udeypur, but knew I just did not have that extra time.

"Native Place"?: I was keen to go take a look at the KUMAR Village before Khillad, but was apprehensive that it was off the main road and that would mean lots of extra time spent.

Restricted Timings? The Bogotu Check Post is the east-side point before Sach Pass - someone had told me that it closes by 5 pm and no vehicles are allowed to go up Sach Pass after that. So, I was in a desperate hurry to cross the check post by at least 4 pm. Before that, I had set myself a target of crossing Khillad by 1 pm so as to maintain the schedule.

Swimming, anyone? Crossing high mountain passes after noon is never easy since the heat of the heat of the morning sun would have melted the snow and given extra depth to the water crossings on the way. I had no idea what was in store for us in this route. All I knew was that the taxis operated only in the morning, info that added to my anxiety that the road may not be motorable after midday.

Back to civilisation: After Sach Pass, the roads are steep descents, but the 2 towns that came after it - Bharaivghat & Tissa - both had hotels which we could always stay if we were to run too late. However, my clear target was HPTDC Hotel Irvati in Chamba, nothing less, nothing more.
hvkumar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:20   #1811
BHPian

The tension increases. Please bring it on as soon as possible!
Can't wait to read through the next part of the journey. HVK sir's and Lalu's last posts have already whetted the appetite.

I presume that the Sach Pass is closed during winters, as with all high mountain passes. Which part of the year is it open?
aryasanyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:37   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post

I presume that the Sach Pass is closed during winters, as with all high mountain passes. Which part of the year is it open?
Coming, coming.......

Sach Pass is one of the last Passes to open after winter - I think it opens only mid-June - but it can remain open till mid-Nov too, although you can expect snowfall from mid-Sep onwards.

The road leading up to Sach Pass, especially from the Khillad side, is in a "shadow" area, so the snow never melts (no sun, always in shade) in some parts, there are permanent glaciers even in mid-summer, as in August, when we drove through.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 10:51   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Coming, coming.......

Sach Pass is one of the last Passes to open after winter - I think it opens only mid-June - but it can remain open till mid-Nov too, although you can expect snowfall from mid-Sep onwards.

The road leading up to Sach Pass, especially from the Khillad side, is in a "shadow" area, so the snow never melts (no sun, always in shade) in some parts, there are permanent glaciers even in mid-summer, as in August, when we drove through.

Please correct me if i am wrong guys, but i am told you cant be sure that Sach pass will open (in the first place) in a particular year. So predicting the time becomes almost impossible.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 10:58   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Please correct me if i am wrong guys, but i am told you cant be sure that Sach pass will open (in the first place) in a particular year. So predicting the time becomes almost impossible.
Yes, the dates of opening are always uncertain. Not being a crucial tourist corridor, and since the road is maintained by the PWD and not the BRO.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 11:22   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspb View Post

The Indian Forces carry the Insas and the Ak series. The rifles in the pics are the Bulgarian aks. The magazines (not the bullets) are taped together for tactical applications. Normally, when shooting you use up one magazine and then flip it over and use the other one, much faster than reaching for web gear.
chaunfa is offline   Reply With Quote