Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th March 2012, 14:34   #1891
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Sirji,
Am aware that I do owe you a call which somehow seems to be forgotten. Current plans of mine is to start on Aug 15
So do let me know what are your thoughts. But am not heading up the spiti way but instead taking the tourist ring for this time. Probably next few trips will be to take the roads less frequented.
Mahesh sir, please do let me know when you're free. We will catch up and discuss. Hopefully, we can form a convoy.

Cheers
Avinash

Last edited by aviorp : 12th March 2012 at 14:37.
aviorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 15:26   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Talking Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY

THIS TRAVELOGUE IS NOW RANK 1 BY VIEWS AND POSTS

A BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU ON BEHALF OF THE IPHE2011 TEAM FOR CLOSELY FOLLOWING OUR JOURNEY

KSM-Vtec is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 18:04   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The slope looks innocuous enough but:
- It was very steep
- The stones were cascading down with every turn of the wheel
A question - were these stones a result of cliffs being blasted to make roads or were they a natural erosion of the cliff?

And needless to say - one AWESOME log!!!!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 18:12   #1894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A question - were these stones a result of cliffs being blasted to make roads or were they a natural erosion of the cliff?

And needless to say - one AWESOME log!!!!
I think it is both that the mountain sides are very rocky, but also the road is carved out of the cliff. Being new, I am sure it will take several years for the road to settle down.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:19   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Where do you get to see these stats? if possible, a link to that. Thanks.

Last edited by kesri : 12th March 2012 at 20:20.
kesri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:26   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Where do you get to see these stats? if possible, a link to that. Thanks.
In the Travelogues section, sort out according to Views (descending order).
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:33   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK, I saw 1896 replies and 196890 views!

Congrats to the entire IPHE team for such a wonderful and coordinated effort to record their trip on this thread.

When do you guys plan to cross the Sach-Pass and reach Chamba in this thread? I am waiting to post a link to my blog of Pangi Valley & Sach-Pass ... after you guys reach Chamba
kesri is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:40   #1898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Thanks HVK, I saw 1896 replies and 196890 views!

Congrats to the entire IPHE team for such a wonderful and coordinated effort to record their trip on this thread.

When do you guys plan to cross the Sach-Pass and reach Chamba in this thread? I am waiting to post a link to my blog of Pangi Valley & Sach-Pass ... after you guys reach Chamba
Thank you sir.
The link to your blog would be wonderful.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 23:02   #1899
BHPian

Quote:

1898 replies and 197031 views, a hundred replies and 3k posts away from a another milestone.

The log is going on and on. The statistics of the log are like Tendulkar vs competition.

Congrats to whole IPHE Team.
Cheers Guys!!!
pushkark is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 00:11   #1900
BHPian

Many congratulations to the IPHE Team. So proud to be a part of this and grateful to every team member.

I did not enter the travelogue section on teambhp ever.. Was not something I was really interested in. But now, seeing my name, next to some big names from the IPHE group does give some sense of achievement.. Travelogues is one of my favorite sections now.. It is flattering that IPHE team could achieve on this forum, that no other travelogue has ever achieved..
Would just like to say one thing at this point "Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost".
doctorque is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 01:36   #1901

Amazing, Astounded .. Lost for words.. Planning, Team work, extreme locations, definitely has to be the baap of all travelogues..

Lots of lessons learnt for people like me who want to do this trip.. Avinash, aka aviorp, count me in for the convey. Lets discuss further.. Enough of OT...

Back to the IPHE team to take us through the Sach Pass..
silversun100 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 09:09   #1902
BHPian

Default HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

CONGRATULATIONS EVERYBODY

A BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU ON BEHALF OF THE IPHE2011 TEAM FOR CLOSELY FOLLOWING OUR JOURNEY

It has been as much fun contributing to this travelogue as it was being part of the expedition. Going through the travelogue, we are sort of reliving those fantastic days we spent on the road!

A very big congratulations to everybody on the IPHE team for making this happen!
Thank you laluks for initiating this whopper of a travelogue and all the T-Bhpians who contributed with their inputs!
hvkumar, KSM-Vtec, JeepCaptain, doctorque, anku, yogen, akaush, no_enthu_da All you guys rock!

Special mention of the Non T-Bhpians who were part of the IPHE.
Tadeusz Sokolowkski, Jaysekaran Pillai, Nobin Jacob, Shashank Sanade, Ashwin Rao, Bhaskar Mandapaka, Chaitanya Vineet, Shiyas PK, Vinod Erinjery, Dilip Barai, Sundar Shah. (Apologies if I missed out anybody)

A very big thank you to the all T-Bhp members/ viewers/ readers, without whose support we wouldn't have crossed this milestone!
BolBolero is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 09:29   #1903
Senior - BHPian

HVK Scorpio
Aug 12, Bombay-Behror, 1402 kms
Aug 13, Behror-Rampur, 692 kms
Aug 14, Rampur-Chitkul, 144 kms
Aug 15, Chitkul-Pooh, 207 kms
Aug 16, Pooh-Kaza, 178 kms
Aug 17-19, Kaza, 291 kms
Aug 20, Kaza-Jispa, 236 kms
Aug 21, Jispa-Leh, 374 kms
Aug 22, Leh-Kargil, 343 kms
Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms
Aug 24, Padum-Kargil, 275 kms
Aug 25, Kargil-Leh, 259 kms
Aug 26, Leh, 148 kms
Aug 27, 2011, Leh-Turtuk, 241 kms
Aug 28, 2011, Leh-Pangong Tso, 445 kms
Aug 29, 2011, Pangong-Hanle, 203 kms
Aug 30, 2011, Hanle-Tso Moriri, 188 kms
Aug 31, 2011, Tso Moriri-Keylong, 375 kms

Sep 2, 2011, Keylong-Chamba, 341 kms

Some parathas at the tea stall at Tindi. No saying when the next meal is going to be.
Lots of chit-chat with the locals who looked bemused at our convoy, they never seen so many outsiders before.
Everyone is simply lounging around.
A guy wanted a lift to Khillar, he hopped on board the HVK Scorpio.
He turned out to be a source of lots of info on the region, although neither I nor Lalu could fathom most of what he was saying, his accent or dialect was unrecognizable.

Name:  DSC_4068.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  377.1 KB

The bikers you see are locals.
Roads had now settled into a comfortable 1-lane dirt track, the river below & the peaks above. Very rocky.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  120.3 KB

Quote:
Kaushik says,
Name:  km.JPG
Views: 1161
Size:  14.0 KB

Since the road is used only by the Mahendra pickups, busses and similar large vehicles and it is strictly a single lane, the tyre tracks are more suitable for a vehicle with a high ground clearance and a wide track chassis/body. Since its only a single lane the centre of the road has remained untouched, high and uncompressed and with regular use only by the bigger vehicles the tyre tracks are wider than what a swift can run on. Even if you try your luck it will not be possible to run on the existing tyre tracks for too long because the under body of a small car is too low and the centre of the road keeps hitting it more than 50% of the distance. So the only option is to put one tyre on the side and the other somewhere higher up on the centre of the road. Again the centre of the road is not solid and has loose sharp stones so going fast even with this technique is not possible. Only advantage is you endup saving your underbody/oil sump etc at the cost of risking your tyres.

Till 1 decade ago, there was no road where we were.
Look at the other bank, and you will see a narrow path carved out of the steep mountain side which was how the “Pangi” valley-dwellers used to travel from Tindi onwards. The path still exists, although I am sure in the next 2-3 years, it will fall into total disuse and disappear completely.
The “road” is narrow and by now, any oncoming vehicle means advance planning to push yourself against the cliff wall at some places where the road has been widened for this very purpose.

Name:  DSC_4124.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  377.5 KB

Name:  DSC_4130.jpg
Views: 3028
Size:  353.2 KB

18 kms from Tindi, at 1240 pm, we cross into the Pangi Valley.
The bridge demarcates the 2 valleys and I am told that in winter, it can be very difficult to cross this point since the region gets snow-blockaded.

Name:  DSC_4096.jpg
Views: 3105
Size:  310.3 KB

BY now, the Scorpio & Bolero were way ahead of the 2 Swifts who were struggling in the rocky roads.
KSM-vTEC suggested we go ahead since keeping pace was not possible & we were stopping every now & then for them to catch up. At one point, the time gap was as much as 30 minutes – I had to turn back & go searching for them.
All this while, the “local” watched the proceedings stoically.

Quote:
Kaushik
says,
It was after one hour of slow driving we reached a point where we see the Scorpio coming towards us. We were surprised to see him come towards us but soon he stopped, took a uturn and started driving towards the Bolero which was waiting at the last corner we could see. We got to know that HVK had actually decided to come back looking for us after over 30minutes of waiting at that point. We had taken double the time to do the same distance.

At 155 pm, or still 13 kms before Khillar, I had to only gaze at the road winding up to the KUMAR Village, which had been one of the targets this trip. I was told that it is a further 1 hour or so to the Village, and we did not have the luxury of that extra time.
I was quite desperate to cross Khillar & get to Bogotu Check Post fast before the threatened closing time for the climb up to Sach Pass.
3 hrs 15 minutes from Tindi – and just 60 kms - we reached the outskirts of Khillar village. Since we left Keylong in the morning at 615 am, we had covered only 145 kms in 8 hrs 15 minutes, with just a small break of 25 minutes (at Tindi), so you can imagine how slow was the progress we were making.
And the Swifts were even slower.
And we were not to see the Swifts again for the next 12 hours!!!!!!!

Quote:
Kunal says,
Name:  kp.JPG
Views: 1052
Size:  10.1 KB

HVK Sir then had to return back to find us and our commitment to make it through Sach pass was now becoming a burden to the 2 SUV’s. It was very embarrassing. Finally we decided to request the 2 SUV’s to march ahead and only stop if they come across a section they are sure the swifts would not pass without their help.

The swifts were making very slow progress, the average speed now dropping to just over 5kms per hour. Saving the car was as important as the progress as we had no clue how worse it can get from there. A puncture on Yogens car costed us an hour. A very very crucial hour.

Quote:
Kaushik says,

So now our slow pace had started affecting the progress of the entire group and I told HVK & BolBolero to not wait for us after this UNLESS they come to a section which they think we will just not be able to cross without their help. Hoping that once we are closing into Killar the roads will improve we told them that we will try to catchup by the time we reach the Sach Pass section. BUT AGAIN even after Killar don’t wait for us unless you come to a section which we just cannot cross without your help.

This could mean that we may not meet the team again for the next 12 hours or if we have to turn around we may not meet them again till we reach Mumbai via Srinagar.

Khillar – the last “big” village on this route. Has a hotel & a PWD rest house.
No mobile connectivity since we left Udeypur, there was no way we could even confer with the Mumbai Roadsters.
I was not keen to go into Khillar town, eager to go on so that we could cross the Sach Pass before dark. We were already an hour or so late from my “estimated” time for reaching there.
There was some confusion as what to do – BolBolero thought we were going into town, but I had no such plans, waiting for the Mumbai Roadsters there would also be a futile exercise since KSM-vTEC sounded confident that he would follow & we were not to wait for them to catch up.

Quote:
Kaushik says,

Anyways we were on our own now and this was supposed to be the last section in which this should have happened. But somehow we did not want to stop the SUVs from achieving their target because of us. Very reluctantly they agreed and we moved ahead. BolBolero wanted to regroup at Killar which sounded like a good idea but would have defeated the purpose of splitting. Anyways there was confusion about the regrouping idea and the gap between the SUVs and the Swifts kept increasing.

To make matters worst the front right tyre on the Silver Swift got slit and we were forced to stop and spend over 30 minutes replacing it with the rear tyre and then replacing the rear tire with the spare tyre. We had to swap the tyres because otherwise the front 2 tyres wouldn’t have been of the same width (205 and 175) and this could have created a problem. Things were not working in our favour and after removing the tyre we realised that there was not enough clearance from the ground for an inflated tyre to fit in. The jack was completely stretched and still no luck. Somehow with great difficulty we dug into the mud below and created space for one of the tyres to fit but the other tyre just wouldn’t fit in. Since we were loosing time we decided that 3 of us would lift the car from the wheel arch and the fourth person would quickly slot in the tyre. Wow the idea worked, good team work and we were all set to go.

So now were left with just one spare tyre between the 2 Swifts and had not even reached Killar. Sach Pass was still far away. It was around 4:30pm when we reached Killar and decided to go into the town to look for the Scorpio and Bolero. We asked people about the black SUVs with MH plates on the way into the town and they said they were not sure. After a quick check we concluded that they would have moved towards Sach Pass and we decided to do the same without loosing anymore time.

Name:  DSC_4265.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  353.3 KB
This is coming up next……the view of the road that we are to take to Sach Pass.
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 10:04   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK Scorpio
Aug 12, Bombay-Behror, 1402 kms
Aug 13, Behror-Rampur, 692 kms
Aug 14, Rampur-Chitkul, 144 kms
Aug 15, Chitkul-Pooh, 207 kms
Aug 16, Pooh-Kaza, 178 kms
Aug 17-19, Kaza, 291 kms
Aug 20, Kaza-Jispa, 236 kms
Aug 21, Jispa-Leh, 374 kms
Aug 22, Leh-Kargil, 343 kms
Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms
Aug 24, Padum-Kargil, 275 kms
Aug 25, Kargil-Leh, 259 kms
Aug 26, Leh, 148 kms
Aug 27, 2011, Leh-Turtuk, 241 kms
Aug 28, 2011, Leh-Pangong Tso, 445 kms
Aug 29, 2011, Pangong-Hanle, 203 kms
Aug 30, 2011, Hanle-Tso Moriri, 188 kms
Aug 31, 2011, Tso Moriri-Keylong, 375 kms

Sep 2, 2011, Keylong-Chamba, 341 kms
Please excuse the typo above - the date is actually Sep 1, 2011
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:18   #1905
Senior - BHPian

Hurray!!!! Congrats on reaching the summit!! The way you guys are going, it is a continous thrill all the way from day one!!!! This will be like a bible for anyone travelling to Ladakh.
Fauji is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote