Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th March 2012, 12:27   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

I would just like to repeat that ALL of us in the Mumbai Roadsters Team are the Leaders of the team and i am just one of them. Doing whatever little we managed to do could not have been possible without each others support. AND whatever we could manage was only because of the learning and encouragement over the 20+ days spent with the IPHE team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One of the major reasons for the decision was that KSM-vTEC was a tough egg, capable of handling any situation, and he was very firm that he would try his level best to scale the Sach Pass, but did not want to be a handicap for the 2 SUVs. He was also of the view that if the going really gets tough, he would tun back there itself. It was left to his judgement to take that call. You may recall that the decision to come on the Sach Pass was an "insane" decision he had taken and he was pretty determined to make that attempt with or without our support
Yes in the first place it was an insane decision (thanks to YP KP & AP for supporting it) to go the Sach Pass way in hatch backs but now that we had decided there was no point in turning back until we reach a section that we just cannot cross.

At the same time we did not want to stop the other members in the team from achieving the same goal of crossing Sach pass since it was equally important for them also.

Quote:
I was quite happy to see so many Bolero pick-ups in these parts and the drivers were friendly guys who could also be depended upon to help out in need.
To be frank they did give us the message to turn back but in such a discouraging manner that we had no choice by to turn back. I am sure they could have helped us but thats if they were going the same way. The time at which we reached the start of Sach pass all these guys were on the way home and the last lot of pickups going towards Sach had just overtaken us at the start...lol

Quote:
At that point when we reached Khillar, we estimated that the Swifts must be at least 1-2 hours behind - and we were not even counting the time lost in repairing the puncture (which we got to know only later). Time was already 230 pm and had we hung on there waiting for the Swifts, we would have had to call off the drive towards Sach Pass that day since I did not fancy our chances of driving in the darkness.

Needless to say, this decision of mine can always be debated.....were we running away for our own selfish goals to reach Chamba?
We reached Killar around 5-5:30PM and then went into the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post

With a very heavy heart we decided to move on, even though I was not at all liking this situation one bit. Many many doubts swirling around in my mind, which I shared with SSj
The two of us decided that we would reach Khillar and wait for the Swifts there..............I was quite adamant that we stay put in Khillar and wait for the Swifts to catch up with us, even if it meant spending one night in Khillar! A few angry words exchanged between HVK and me about abandoning the team. Me being very worried about the safety of the small cars and more so of the occupants!

After a lot of protestations from my side, I was convinced by the others, that there was no way the Swifts would be able to catch up with us, or that they may have in fact already decided to turn back towards Keylong and head back via Rohtang Pass!

Hoping that the later was true and that the Mumbai Roadsters had actually decided to turn back, I gave in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
On a lighter note, Mumbai Roadsters "Everyone in the two SUV's was feeling really bad about leaving you guys behind, but we consoled ourselves with the fact that the leader of Mumbai Roadsters a.k.a KSM-Vtec would understand the predicament we faced and we were also hoping that the two Swifts had turned back towards Keylong, to try to cross via Rohtang Pass or Srinagar."

Much to our surprise....
I am sure it would have been a very tough, painful and reluctant decision to take but i guess that was the right thing to do because we were over 3 hours behind.

Yes if waiting at Killar overnight and attempting Sach Pass on the next day was an option things could have been very different

But thinking that we would turn back before defeat was absolutely wrong, after all we had the "Never Give In" attitude. So giving in before defeat was impossible.
Quote:
Yes, it was not a good feeling that!

I was torn between the need to go on to reach somewhere civilised before dark - cross the Sach Pass & land up in Bhairavgarh or Tissa at least. Looking at the tardy progress the Swifts were making in what I termed as "good" roads - since the "bad" roads were yet to begin only after Khillar - and I was also firmly convinced that the small cars stood no chance at all.

I also knew with KSM-vTEC leading the way, the team would not take any foolish chances and we had already talked it over that the Swifts would turn back if they judged that conditions were too hostile for them. I also reckoned that at the pace the Swifts were setting, they should ideally be staying overnight at Khillar & deciding which way to go the next day - onward to Chamba or back to Keylong (chnaces of which which I rated 8/10).

In our anxiety to keep up with our schedule, we pressed the accelerator & moved on.......and I had already assumed that the Swifts would not be in a position to make it!
I am sure it was not a good feeling, but i guess circumstances often leave us with no choice on a trip like this.

Yes the increasing rate at which the road conditions (like you said this was not even the start of the bad roads) were becoming challenging was putting us in 2 minds right from the point we lost a tyre. We had already started preparing ourselves for an overnight stay at killar and then a drive back to Keylong(or rohtang) the next day. We also started calculating if waiting at Rohtang for some help would be a quicker option or driving all the way around from Sirnagar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
In the entire episode I was just a mute spectator confused with the varying demands the day had.

1. We are moving forward from Khillar, which meant we must cross Sach pass before sun goes down
2. Taking the Swifts along meant we halted at Khillar - the best choice
3. With out the Swifts moving ahead - who will help the swifts in bad territory

I had no answers. It was a tough call to make and HVK had to decide to move ahead. It meant leaving a part of the team behind. Well at times leaders have to make tough decisions. And mind you these decisions make the team strong towards the end.
When we suggested that the SUVs should not wait for the Swifts we had already accepted that we were going to be on our own now at least till Killar, and that itself was a big challenge. At that stage we were hoping that the roads closing into Killar would improve and we will catchup soon. Also we had decided not to stop even for a second to save time.

Even beyond Killar towards Sach we assumed that you would wait for us in a situation which we could just not cross without help. But the conditions got so hostile that as per the teams judgement it was obvious that the Swifts would just not be able to sustain the hits and hence moving ahead without waiting for us was the perfect choice. As waiting for us just to tell us that we will not be able to make it would have been a really foolish waste of time.

And leaving behind a message that we should turn around was a wise thing to do since there was no connectivity.

Some communication was better than nothing, we at least knew that its almost IMPOSSIBLE TO CROSS THE SACH PASS SECTION EVEN WITH HELP FROM THE SUVs.

AGAIN i am sure leaving us back must have been a PAINFUL decision but i guess it was the right thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Congrats to the IPHE TEAM!

Now over to you Laluks, HVK, BolBolero & KSM-Vtec to continue.

Once you are done with Sach Pass I will start about our adventurous and non stop drive form Leh to Pathankot in 30 hours and 30 minutes.
Yes JC lets party! We are looking forward to know the details/pics of the marathon drive you guys had.

Over to HVK for Sach Pass...
KSM-Vtec is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 14:15   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Day 21
1st September 2011

Typical 1-lane road terrain that we drove through in the entire Tindi-Khillar sector. You have to back up whenever there is an oncoming vehicle - although they were not much anyway.

Typical of these parts, there are no sign boards of any kind. We knew beforehand that our road to Chamba parted ways from the Kishtwar at Khillar, after crossing the River Chandra Bhaga. So we could visually sight the road at the other bank of the river and on seeing a road going down steeply to the bottom of the Valley - to presumably where there was a bridge - we queried these ladies (one of the rare specimens of human beings we saw that day) about whether the Left road was the Right road?

TYpical of most of the villages in these parts, you do not not get to see the village on the road itself, they are usually perched on the mountain sides, away from the main road and often, you have to walk to get there. Luckily, Khillar did have a motorable road to drive into the village.

Last edited by hvkumar : 14th March 2012 at 14:18.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 14:47   #1938
BHPian

Smile Re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
for next year we already have a few people looking to join in. Lalit from Lucknow, VB from Chandigarh and I will be doing it from Delhi. (well depending on who finally comes and completes the trip)
Akaush: If allowed to join in your plans for 2012, please let me know. I am very eager to do this trip.
sasi405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 16:13   #1939
Senior - BHPian

HVK Scorpio Car Cam Video of Tindi-Khillar sector

This one has milder sections compared with the previous Udeypur-Tindi sector. Has lots of greenery & less water crossings. But road is still 1-laned narrow & has steep drops to one side
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 17:01   #1940
BHPian

HVK, liked all your Videos from the Car Cam. They have come out really well, with a good music. Gives a pretty good idea of road conditions from driving point of view.

Can you share how much of your time is spent to produce one clip (of say 4 Mins duration) from the Raw stage till finished posting stage?
kesri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 17:44   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
2 & 5 helped us a lot during out trip to Spiti in a sedan and a hatch. You can't stress enough the point of first walking the path in the tricky sections, especially in water crossings. My fellow travellers were initially quite amused as to why I would jump into the crossings that looked tricky as soon as we pulled over.
What was the sedan you took it to Spiti? And did it make it without towing or any major breakages?
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 17:54   #1942

Cool Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Having the the right set of team mates is important on a trip like this. As we are old friends and from the same group in Bombay, we knew each others likes and dislikes but never spent 24 days together, day in - day out. People thought we would get sick of each other. Instead we came back closer friends. We had gone through crazy roads along our whole trip but Sach Pass was the cherry on TOP.

Magnificent surroundings with a strip of road along the mountain. What else can we ask for. But there was no time to look around in some places. This is the place where we FOUR had to come together and support each other and drive at a respectable pace and take care of the cars otherwise we would be stuck there at least till the next morning. They don't teach you teamwork and all that in any business school or workplace, It has to come from within and that day it did. AND HOW.

In hindsight it wouldn't have mattered if we had completed our journey across Sach Pass or not. What mattered was the Team Work and the Patience we had that day.

Last edited by Yogen : 14th March 2012 at 18:14.
Yogen is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 18:09   #1943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan
What was the sedan you took it to Spiti? And did it make it without towing or any major breakages?
It was a SX4. It fared much better than my swift, thanks to the higher ground clearance and more powerful engine. We made it back safely, but had numerous underbelly trickling/scratching episodes.
codelust is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 19:03   #1944
BHPian

Default Re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi405 View Post
Akaush: If allowed to join in your plans for 2012, please let me know. I am very eager to do this trip.
This year's plans are again led by HVK and Jeepcaptain. They will tell us the proposed dates and we will just follow in our own vehicles. Although we already know of about 8-9 people who are more than just willing to go all the way this time. I will let you know as soon as I come to know of any plans.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 21:56   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
HVK, liked all your Videos from the Car Cam. They have come out really well, with a good music. Gives a pretty good idea of road conditions from driving point of view.

Can you share how much of your time is spent to produce one clip (of say 4 Mins duration) from the Raw stage till finished posting stage?
It is a very laborious & time-consuming process producing car cam videos.

Stage 1: Download the recordings in flash onto my computer during the drive. 12 hours of video take up approximately 2GB of data, and that takes some time to download. I did this every night - or rather, Lalu did it for me, since his laptop had higher storage capacity than mine. On days when I was driving non-stop - through the night, etc - I had to use a second flash to record till I was done with downloading the first whenever I stopped. Another complication was that we could not use laptops in "high-altitude" days, which means I had a continuous 3 days (Pangon, Hanle & Tso Moriri) when I had to use my second & third flash to substitute for the ones already filled up.

Stage 2: I run the recordings on the special software that I have in my laptop. This means I open each file - and footage is organised into many 000s of files, none of them uniform in size, based on some internal logic of its own - and after opening each file I view them. Which means I see on the laptop what I saw when I drove on the road again! So for every 1 hour of drive, I see 1 hour of video. While seeing them, I select the sections that I want for making the video, so this means I have to view them back & forth till I get the correct sections.

Stage 3: Being an old gen version, I have to save each of the individual files into AVI format - this is a very slow process, gulps up storage too. Takes longer time to save than the time of the video - meaning, each minute takes more time than that to save. My laptop uses up lots of memory when it does this saving into a AVI file

Stage 4: I open up Windows Movie Maker (WMV) & import all the AVI files there for editing. Editing involves selecting the snippets - which means I view the footage several times to select the best "scenes" and then start compiling into the movie. I ensure that the videos selected are of the most representative of that section of the drive. I also do not miss out major obstacles or good landscapes. Special scenes - like the Scorpio being pulled out of the mud - are pulled out to be made into special videos.

Stage 5: I edit the files in WMV, add titles, enhance with effects and so on. Each minute of video on WMV takes at least 2 to process after all this editing (time cannot be quantified) is done.

Stage 6: The movie is uploaded in YouTube. Takes a long time. I add titles & captions.

Stage 7: Once the movie is uploaded, I add the music. For that, I have to select the correct music composition - from several choices offered by You Tube - is selected & added. Before adding, I try out 2-5 different scores, playng them for some minutes before zeroing down on my choice. The processing takes 2x the duration of the video.

Stage 8: The movie is ready. I play it to check if it has come out all right, then add it in online forums.

I guess the simple answer to your Q, Kesri, is that each video takes an enormous amount of time, maybe 10x its duration, but I have never computed it!
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 22:46   #1946
BHPian

CONGRATS TO ALL IPHE TEAM MEMBERS!
THIS TRAVELOGUE HAS CROSSED 200,000 Views! ( Yes 2 Lakhs) and still counting!
Thanks to all the readers, both bhpians and nonbhpians for all the support
JeepCaptain is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 22:48   #1947
Senior - BHPian

J E E P C A P T A I N, we want to see videos of the Ladakh Festival that the IPHE - B team saw in Leh on Sep1!!!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 22:53   #1948
BHPian

Quote:
J E E P C A P T A I N, we want to see videos of the Ladakh Festival that the IPHE - B team saw in Leh on Sep1!!!
Sure HVK Sir, I will process all of them and upload here soon. Thanks for the reminder. Let me start it now itself so that by the time Team-A cross Sach Pass,I can start with Leh Festival Videos before we move forward to Srinagar via Kargil.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 06:15   #1949
BHPian

Quote:

Stage 6: The movie is uploaded in YouTube. Takes a long time. I add titles & captions.

Stage 8: The movie is ready. I play it to check if it has come out all right, then add it in online forums.
And when you look at HVK's internet speed, plus the number of tabs open on his Firefox and IE, and the number of people he is chatting with simultaneously you wonder how is there any bandwidth left for the video to upload on youtube.
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 07:20   #1950
BHPian

Quote:
It is a very laborious & time-consuming process producing car cam videos.

I guess the simple answer to your Q, Kesri, is that each video takes an enormous amount of time, maybe 10x its duration, but I have never computed it!
Thanks for detailed answer. I knew video editing and compiling might be time consuming job. Still was interested in knowing some guesstimate of time spent on creating any one video clip of yours ... would you guess you may have spent a total of 10Hrs of time on each? or even more or less?

When ever we meet next want to learn first hand the steps and create one just for the learning experience.

PS: If i had already learnt ...maybe I could have created one video movie now at Mumbai airport waiting since 4:30AM for KF flight of 6:30am, postponed to 9:15am (as a 1st delay announcement).
kesri is offline   Reply With Quote