Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 30th March 2012, 16:13   #2056
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
If I can guess it right, the shock was that The Swifts had just crossed Sach Pass too.
I don't think so. Remember Swifts were having non bsnl cell phone. And since they were behind HVK by a big margin, they could not have possibly gotten the network in Sach Pass or after it to reach HVK at such a late hour.

My guess is Bolbolero had some problems and he got stuck somewhere as HVK's Scorpio had left them behind once the good roads started.

Last edited by shipnil : 30th March 2012 at 16:14.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 16:23   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil
My guess is Bolbolero had some problems and he got stuck somewhere as HVK's Scorpio had left them behind once the good roads started.
Can't be. Hvk says he got the call when all four were assembled in BolBolero's room.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 19:18   #2058
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Really you guys should now think of getting into script writing for thrillers . You have enormous talent for this. Promise me such an exciting adventure if and when I have the good luck of joining your team in your next road venture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't think so. Remember Swifts were having non bsnl cell phone. And since they were behind HVK by a big margin, they could not have possibly gotten the network in Sach Pass or after it to reach HVK at such a late hour.
What if the swifts borrowed a BSNL cellphone and sent a message which reached late in the night and was a cause of that major shock, the possibilities are endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Can't be. Hvk says he got the call when all four were assembled in BolBolero's room.
Yup. BolBolero's team of two have already reached.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 21:22   #2059
Senior - BHPian

It is prediction time mow.Yes the news would be about the exploits of KSM V-tec and the Mumbai Roadsters and their Swifts.
Travelogues never had it so good.

The MUmbai Roadsters would be at the door having reached there in a Bolero or a Maxx Taxi.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2012 at 10:52. Reason: As requested
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 14:32   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The MUmbai Roadsters would be at the door having reached there in a Bolero or a Maxx Taxi.
What would happen to our Dear Swfits then??

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2012 at 10:52. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 14:40   #2061
BHPian

How can we even think of letting go off the swifts, even if they weren't capable to complete the task.. They bought us all the way here..
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 17:58   #2062
BHPian

Thumbs up HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 16, Keylong-Chamba, 1st. September 2011

Sach Pass to Chamba: 530 - 1130pm

Yes the truncated IPHE team of One Scorpio and One Bolero had finally reached the Sach Pass. Called for a bit of celebration, but unfortunately time wasn't on our side and the overcast sky was warning of impending Fog and what not! After a brief stop of around 5 to 10 mins we resumed the drive towards Satraundi and then onwards to Bhairavgarh and finally Chamba our destination for the night!

The Foggy Conditions!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5182.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5183.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5184.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5191.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5195.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5196.jpg

Assuming that the drive down would be easier than what we had faced while driving up, less than a few kms into it, we realised that it wasn't going to be easy at all, maybe more difficult than the drive up. Many hair pin bends, steep gradients, rocky, slushy at places, water crossings, this road had it all!

Following the Chief's Scorpio!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5197.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5199.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5200.jpg

Reached Satraundi checked post an hour after we left Sach Jot and by then the fog had more or less enveloped the whole region. A few kms after the check post, I gave up the drivers wheel to SSj, as the days drive and the current foggy conditions had finally taken its toll and I was both Mentally and Physically exhausted.

Just kept following the tail lights of HVK's Scorpio and reached Bhairavgarh without any incident. The condition of the roads got much better from this point on, till HVK decided that the only way to go was STRAIGHT AHEAD! Following the Scorpio, we too pushed forward and instead of descending, we realised we were climbing higher and higher. SSj kept on saying, that something was wrong and we were probably not on the right road! But I insisted he follow the Scorpio, which he did, till we encountered the HVK & his Scorpio dead in the middle of the road, trying to take a three point turn, to head back on the road we came! And he sure chose one of the Juiciest, oops Slushiest part to make that U Turn!

Finally we were back on track after losing nearly an hour going up and down a wrong road! There was a huge improvement in the condition of the road and it was actually a tarred surface. Something that we had not encountered since we left Keylong in the morning! (Difficult to believe that we had left Keylong this same morning! Atleast I felt as if I had been driving for more than one day!)

Tarred roads, and sure enough Chief must have floored the pedal, cos we lost sight of the Scorpio a few minutes after getting back on track. Thankfully though before HVK zoomed ahead, he had already informed us of the arrangements that awaited us at Chamba. So now we decided to not push too aggressively, secure in the knowledge that there was food and bed waiting for us at Chamba.

We crossed many small towns, Tareli, Tarvai, Guvadi, Tissa, Chilli, Nakrod, Pukhri, Kiyani. One of them, I think Nakrod or Pukhri had the huge Power Project. We finally reached Chamba at around 11:18 pm nearly 20 minutes behind HVK's Scorpio. Finally reached HPTDC, Hotel Iravati, Chamba at 11:30pm.

Got into our room, where a hot dinner was awaiting us! But first order of business was taking a bath and trying to wash away the tiredness of the day! Mission accomplished and sat down to have dinner, and HVK's phone rings.

OMG, OMG, OMG,...was all that HVK was managing to say from his end. He disconnects the call and repeats the conversation he had....

Shell we all are........

Total Distance covered: 319 kms.

Last edited by BolBolero : 31st March 2012 at 18:00.
BolBolero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 18:06   #2063
BHPian

Thumbs up HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

GPS Tracks

Day 16: Keylong to Chamba

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-16-keylong-chamba.jpg

16 Keylong to Chamba.kmz
BolBolero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 21:42   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Some help with the GPS tracks

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-gps.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
[b]Day 16, Keylong-Chamba, 1st. September 2011

Just kept following the tail lights of HVK's Scorpio and reached Bhairavgarh without any incident. The condition of the roads got much better from this point on, till HVK decided that the only way to go was STRAIGHT AHEAD!
The U-turn to the right was so sharp that I did not see it, kept going staright.

Quote:
Following the Scorpio, we too pushed forward and instead of descending, we realised we were climbing higher and higher. SSj kept on saying, that something was wrong and we were probably not on the right road! But I insisted he follow the Scorpio, which he did, till we encountered the HVK & his Scorpio dead in the middle of the road, trying to take a three point turn, to head back on the road we came! And he sure chose one of the Juiciest, oops Slushiest part to make that U Turn!
I could not do anything because there was no sign board, no people & no guidance on what road we were in. So I decided to keep going till I came to some landmark where I could find my bearings. The grove where there was lots of slush was the clincher when I decided to turn back, and also the only place which was broad enough for me to turn the Scorpio. BTW, I was very impressed with the way my Scorpio - and the Bolero - handled this deep slush. It was the only place during the entire Khillar-Chamba drive that I feared we would get bogged down, it was really mean. This was one of our luckier days.

Quote:
Tarred roads, and sure enough Chief must have floored the pedal, cos we lost sight of the Scorpio a few minutes after getting back on track. Thankfully though before HVK zoomed ahead, he had already informed us of the arrangements that awaited us at Chamba. So now we decided to not push too aggressively, secure in the knowledge that there was food and bed waiting for us at Chamba.
Yes, I gunned it, confident now that we were back on god roads and also with mobile connectivity so we could communicate with each other. So I called up BolBolero to tell him I am going ahead and asked him to set his own pace instead of trying to keep up with me.

Last edited by hvkumar : 31st March 2012 at 21:51.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 22:03   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
BTW, I was very impressed with the way my Scorpio - and the Bolero - handled this deep slush. It was the only place during the entire Khillar-Chamba drive that I feared we would get bogged down, it was really mean. This was one of our luckier days.
And for the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDARS AT/S, they performed wonderfully all through the Journey! I doubt any other tire would have managed to come out of that deep slush so effortlessly!
BolBolero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 22:45   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
What would happen to our Dear Swfits then??
Is it then that the Roadsters reached Chamba through some other route bypassing the Such pass?
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 23:18   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
And for the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDARS AT/S, they performed wonderfully all through the Journey! I doubt any other tire would have managed to come out of that deep slush so effortlessly!
Well, they were outstanding out there when it really mattered, but don't forget that my tyres came back with lots of sidewall cuts, suffered from all the fights it had with the rocks, boulders & slush

But then what matters is - I would not care if the life of the tyre gets reduced a little, but it would have been terrifying to be stuck in those parts with a tyre that could not perform well!

Last edited by hvkumar : 31st March 2012 at 23:24.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 05:02   #2068
BHPian

September 1, Leh
Ladakh Festival
Leh- Kargil

After the Watching the Ladakh Festival Procession,the team (IPHE team B) spilt up.Some went back to Guest and some went for last minute shopping.I went to M&M Service Centre to pick up the Bolero and quickly returned to Jorchung Guest House.
Rest of the team TS, JP, NJ & NED had reached there by walk. By the time I came back it was already 1:00 PM and we were already running late to start.

Our intial plan was to start early by 2:00PM and reach KArgil and halt there since many advised not to cross Zozilla pass in the night.
We checked with the owner of th Guest house and he also expressed doubt in us crossing Zozilla pass. To add more to the confusion we didnt know when the checkpost will be open from KArgil to Sonmarg side and we also didnt know the convoy timings.

We forgot to ask these details with HVK and he is not reachable since we left Debring!!

Our main agenda to come back to Leh was achieved. I mean to attend the Ladakh Festival. There is one more left.It was more a personal one for me.
A meeting with a VIP friend in Leh which I had apppointment at 3:00 PM.The meeting was so important and I couldnt afford to miss that one.Hence we rescheduled our plans and delayed our departure from Leh till evening.

Due to this delay of half day we were already worried how we are going to reach Delhi by 3rd night, because 2 of us had to catch flight from Delhi.
JP had to fly to Orissa and I had to catch a return flight to Dubai and I am yet to book a ticket.

So the plan was to have lunch from Jorchung Guest house, check out, then have the meeting and then depart from Leh as early as possible.

We quickly had lunch and bid goodbye to the Guest house owner and family and the helpful staff. The Landlady was kind enough to gift us one bag full of Apples.

NJ Wanted to take one last pic before we left Jorchung Guest House.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh002.jpg

We said good bye to the flowers.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh003.jpg

And Goodbye to the Apple trees.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh004.jpg

And the lovely toddler.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh005.jpg

We all were still exhausted and had no plans or energy to drive beyond Kargil. We also had another issue. Rear LHS tyre of Bolero was leaking and this is happening since Hanle.(Since last 3 days) It was not a big puncture. Was so small and was losing about 8 pouds of air everyday.We wanted to get that fixed in Leh. But since it took long to do the service at M&M service center and half of Leh city was closed in the afternoon due to Polo Match which is part of Ladakh festival, we couldnt find a tyre shop to fix the tyre.Wasted almost an hour for that. Then we decided to continue to Kargil with the leaking tyre and planned to check and refill with the portable compressor we had.

After my meeting with my VIP friend was over, we said goodbye to him and with heavy hearts .. we bid good bye to Leh town.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh007.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh008.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh009.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh010.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh011.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh012.jpg

We went past the City Gate of Leh and the big Stupa.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh013.jpg

Everyone was quite inside the Bolero. No one wanted to speak as we started our last leg of our trip.

But for me, I was sad but there was some hope and reason for me to be happy and promised my self I am coming back soon.

Reason?? See Below!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh001.jpg

To be continued...
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 05:43   #2069
BHPian

September 1, Leh
Leh- Kargil

Outside the city we refuelled and also filled up our spare tanks and by the time we started it was 6:00 PM.
Which means we are running late by almost 4 hours.

Sun was setting fast... and I clicked some pics of the evening sky.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh014.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh015.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh016.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-leaving-leh017.jpg

The drive from Leh to Kargil was uneventful. We four, myself NJ,JP & TS was in Discovery Bolero.

And No-Enthu-da aka Baby Alto was following us in his Alto.

Since we were doing this sector for the third time, and knew the route very well, we manage to do some good speeds and reached Kargil earlier than expected.

The idea was to stay back in Kargil.. But by the time we reached it was close to mid night and the Kargil town was empty and all the restaurants were closed. Now what??
We stopped to decide about the the plan of action.

These were the thoughts in our mind

• Shall we stay back here or proceed ?
  • If we proceed ahead where are we going to sleep or stay?
  • What if the checkpost before Zozilla is closed by army and we have to stay in the car till morning!!
  • What if Zozilla pass is closed due to bad weather ( read thick fog)??
  • Since we will be driving very close to the LOC in this sector, is it safe to drive in the night?

And to add to all this confusion.. Bolero has a puncture and we are filling air every two hours.. What if we have a flat tyre or experience a tyre blowout? There are hardly any traffic in the road in case if we need any help and the next tyre shop is going to be Sonmarg or if not there, then in Srinagar.

We all very completely exhausted and our minds were also not working well to take a decision!!

Now what to do??

Found a way!!!
We decided to try calling The Chief himself!! But where is he?? We havent heard from him since last 2 days!!
Thats true... But what if he has reached a place or reaching somewhere there is mobile coverage??

We decided to try our luck and call HVK and check!

We started calling HVK......

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 1st April 2012 at 05:44.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 11:55   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
September 1, Leh
Leh- Kargil

We decided to try calling The Chief himself!! But where is he?? We havent heard from him since last 2 days!!
Thats true... But what if he has reached a place or reaching somewhere there is mobile coverage??

We decided to try our luck and call HVK and check!

We started calling HVK......
So it was your call that made HVK jump!! But still was it such a difficult situation that had chief so concerned? You were still at a place where human settlements exist.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote