Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st April 2012, 12:02   #2071
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
GPS Tracks
Day 16: Keylong to Chamba
Thanks for sharing this GPS data. Wonderful to see your route and time data on Google Earth using this KMZ file.

Where HVK didn't do the U-turn and went off-route is also captured and timed so well!
kesri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 12:04   #2072
BHPian

Default Re: The Tale of 2 Swifts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
The Tale of 2 Swifts...Part 1

So now since we were a team of 4 we needed to hatches. AP owns an i10 and an estilo but he also had the option to borrow his uncles Swift and finally the swift won. SO it was a small team Mumbai Roadsters in their 2 Swifts.
I recall seeing another travelogue of Ladakh by you in Gypsy. What happened to that vehicle?
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 12:45   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Tale of 2 Swifts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I recall seeing another travelogue of Ladakh by you in Gypsy. What happened to that vehicle?

Yes that was my first trip to Ladakh!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rld-gypsy.html (Mumbai Roadsters - Touring LADAKH "Roof of the World" in a Gypsy)

Had bought the Gypsy in an army auction and built it to be Ladakh ready.

Unfortunately i had to sell the "Demon" about 6 months after the trip due to lack of parking space.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-complete.html (My Army Spec "Demon Gypsy": Project Complete)
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 13:14   #2074
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Thanks for sharing this GPS data. Wonderful to see your route and time data on Google Earth using this KMZ file.
@KSM-Vtec: Have a question re: GPS data points between time 15:06 and 15:17 ..... Did you actually cross the river at 15:06 (over Sach stream) and back to same side at 15:17? I don't remember doing that from my trip. Even the road on the ground seen in GE, doesn't do that. Any idea? maybe this is just an error due to a temp loss of GPS signals?

Last edited by kesri : 1st April 2012 at 13:22.
kesri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 13:30   #2075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@KSM-Vtec: Have a question re: GPS data points between time 15:06 and 15:17 ..... Did you actually cross the river at 15:06 (over Sach stream) and back to same side at 15:17? I don't remember doing that from my trip. Even the road on the ground seen in GE, doesn't do that. Any idea? maybe this is just an error due to a temp loss of GPS signals?
Sir actually the KMZ file is from BolBoleros GPS and unfortunately i have never owned a GPS till date, so i guess we will have to wait for BolBolero or HVK to explain to us what exactly happened there.

BTW we (Swifts) were running behind (SUVs) by almost 3hrs.

We reached Killar only at 1730-1800.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 13:52   #2076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I analysed the GPS tracks at the timepoints you mentioned.

At 15.00.40 (Index 28951), we have crossed the Chandra Bhaga River to the south bank and started climbing.

At 15.06.00 (Index 29267), you can see us clearly on the road, with the water stream to the east side.

You can see in the GE images the road, but the GPS tracks has diverged - presumably due to loss of satellite signals, because we were in an area surrounded by steep cliffs -

At 15.17.16 (Index 29627), we look to be back with signals and you can see us planted on the road.

So you are right, Kesri, we do not cross the stream to the other side, just that the missing satellite signals have skewed the path we actually took.

Let us see how the ground-level view looks at, say, 15.53.26 (looking back towards Khillar)

Name:  gpsview.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  125.6 KB
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 14:00   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec

BTW we (Swifts) were running behind (SUVs) by almost 3hrs.

We reached Killar only at 1730-1800.
So my guess was right. The swift's finally made it :-D.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 1st April 2012 at 14:01.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 14:16   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
The Scorpio & Bolero left Khillar at 230, crossed Sach Pass at 530 & reached Chamba at 11 pm. You saw the roads in the videos - and also how the SUVs struggled at speeds of 15-20 kmph to travel the treacherous road over the 8.5 hours!

You really believe the Swifts which reached Khillar at 6 pm could have done this sector at NIGHT????!!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 14:26   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar

The Scorpio & Bolero left Khillar at 230, crossed Sach Pass at 530 & reached Chamba at 11 pm. You saw the roads in the videos - and also how the SUVs struggled at speeds of 15-20 kmph to travel the treacherous road over the 8.5 hours!

You really believe the Swifts which reached Khillar at 6 pm could have done this sector at NIGHT????!!
Yes. Not possible to reach by the time you got the call, but if one has determination and insane level of guts I feel it can be done overnight.

Disclaimer : I've never driven in this kind of roads and so my views may be foolish. Hope I will be eligible to comment in June :-) .

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 1st April 2012 at 14:41.
Harshavarthan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 15:04   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Quote:
Yes. Not possible to reach by the time you got the call, but if one has determination and insane level of guts I feel it can be done overnight.

Disclaimer : I've never driven in this kind of roads and so my views may be foolish. Hope I will be eligible to comment in June :-) .

Killar is the last town before the actual Sach pass climb begins!

We had been struggling all day just to reach Killar by 530PM.

I am sure you must have guessed how bad this (Keylong-Killar) section itself was that for the first time on the trip the Swifts were lagging behind by 3 hours..... The team never had to wait for more than 10-15 mins in the past.

As we have seen in the pics and vids from the SUV team the Sach section forces one to face challenges of a very different level. (This was the first section on the trip which forced the SUVs to backup and give it a 2nd & 3rd shot with more momentum)

We really dint know what was in store for us.....

Was it a good idea to even think of attempting Sach Pass?

If yes, then should we do try doing it post 530 on the same day? Or should we wait for the next day? Maybe we can get some help if required....

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 1st April 2012 at 15:05.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 15:05   #2081
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,
As you and HVK rightly pointed out, that was due to temporary loss of GPS signals.
Imagine deviating so much from the road, which in itself was more or less an offroading trail, and then going completely off the road, crossing SACH stream not once but twice and then joining the road again! And living to tell the tale!
BolBolero is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 16:51   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Sir actually the KMZ file is from BolBoleros GPS and unfortunately i have never owned a GPS till date, so i guess we will have to wait for BolBolero or HVK to explain to us what exactly happened there.
Sorry the Q was for BolBolero and I typed KSM-Vtec by mistake. My guress too was that GPS signal loss - just wanted that confirmed.

I must say the GPS Tracs by Bol-Bolero (despite brief signal-loss limitations) are quite amazing really! Each data-point 'balloon' reveals amazing details! So very useful as a record of the ride.

I wonder what is the equipment, software and the editing process followed to get this final KMZ file posted here. If this already explained in some post, just point me to that.

@HVK is the process same as we know for Garmin GPS-80Cx i.e. using Garmins software to download GDB file and to convert to KMZ/KML Somehow BolBoleros' data seems more exhaustive to me.

What is the 'Visiontag' logo I see on the GPS image file?

Last edited by kesri : 1st April 2012 at 16:52.
kesri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 18:02   #2083
BHPian

Kesri Sir,

I am using a GPS data logger from VISIONTAC.

More information here: http://www.visiontac.com/shop/Vision...-Rec-p-16.html

The downloading is pretty simple as all the data is recorded on a Micro SD card and the transfer is done via the Visiontac Software into a csv file and then can be again converted to KMZ/KML file.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by BolBolero : 1st April 2012 at 18:07.
BolBolero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:17   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Lots of speculation! Sherlockian dilemma indeed!

1. The mysterious call could definitely not have come from BolBolero who was already in the hotel room with HVK/Lalu/SSj!

2. Who else did the call come from - KSM-vTEC or JEEP CAPTAIN?

3. What was the matter about - failure or success?

4. Did the Swifts make it across Sach Pass in the middle of the night?
Or did they find an alternative route? Or they ran into problems?

5. Did the Bolero & Alto make it over the Zoji la at night? Or they ran into problems?

6. The Swifts reached Khillar only at 6 pm, over 3 hours behind the Scorpio/Bolero. Without any mobile connectivity in Khillar, how could they have made a phone call at all?

7. How could any call have been made - when there was no connectivity before Sach Pass other than BSNL which none of the Mumbai Roadsters had? And no connectivity for IPHE - B team too?

8. Or did the call come from somewhere else? Maybe some bad tidings from one of our homes?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:49   #2085
Senior - BHPian

Sach PASS

OR

Sach FAIL

?????

We reach Killar at about 530pm and are already running 3 hours behind the SUVs. Since we had about 2 hours of day light we proceeded quickly towards Sach pass turning with some news from the locals –
1. They had seen the MH SUVs go towards Sach
2. It would take a little over 3 hours to cross Sach (even in a Mahendra Bolero Camper)

Yes, the SUVs had gone ahead! and we had 2 hours of daylight. Assuming it takes 3 hours to get to the other side we would have finished the climb in daylight so it was possible to do it the same day! The descend would anyways be easier than the climb and can be managed in the dark. So lets give it a shot!!!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-bridge.jpg

When we reached the bridge there seemed to be reasonable amount of traffic and we could have got some help if required. But we were WRONG. The Boleros coming from the opposite side were a part of the last lot of vehicles that would have left from Chamba etc. and the guys who left with us were the last lot leaving from Killar towards Chamba and they very soon took lead and left us out of sight.

Name:  DSC_4265.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  445.2 KB

WE PACKED OUR CAMERAS AND PUT THEM ON THE BACK SEAT, HENCE I AM GOING TO BORROW A FEW PICS TO PUT THINGS IN CONTEXT

This was going to be the toughest section - the road was narrower than earlier, veryrough and very very steep with multiple hairpin bends. The road was very incline with a lot of rough patches exactly where there were steep hairpin bends. We had to ensure that the passenger gets off the car walks up the section and checks if there were sections where the car cannot be maneuvered without hitting the under-body. The incline was so steep that loosing momentum would have meant going all the way back and starting from square 1. So at almost every corner the co-driver in each Swift would get off to lighten the car and spot the way so that the driver can maintain momentum and yet not damage the car.

About 10-15Kms down the line we are stopped by a Bolero camper and the guy says that your friends in the black MH SUVs have sent a message for you asking you to turn back and not even to attempt Sach pass. I ask him the details of the terrain and the guy says that it is very very rocky. I specifically ask him if there is any slush and he says NO. We thank him and move ahead only to face another Bolero Camper guy who speaks to us in the most sarcastic and discouraging tone and passes on a similar message from HVK/BolBolero asking us to turn back. Just as he is leaving he passes another sarcastic comment “waapus chale jaaoo nahi toh gaadi ka kuch bhi nahi milega, hamare 4x4 gaadi ka bhi gear box aur engine phat jata hai”. (Turn back, you will not even find any remains of your car, even our gear box literally comes off due to the underbody hits).By know KP had guessed that I may be having some information and very promptly I get a message on the walkie from him “Any useful information???” I don’t say anything and move forward pretending to not have heard the message.

Name:  DSC_4043.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  410.1 KB

Name:  DSC_4096.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  390.0 KB

Even the oncoming traffic had reduced to Nil and it took a few kilometers for us to cross another bolero camper. This guy took a very neutral stand, confirmed to us that the road was very rocky and did not have any slush. He also said that we could try our luck by offloading the passengers and moving out as many rocks as we could. But even then he was not sure that we would make it, he was just an optimistic guy who said that we could try our luck. At this point we had already traveled 12 hours and had done enough hard work to just turn back basis a message.

Even if we did turn back bogged down by the disappointment the best we could have done by EOD would have been Killar. So the only thought in my mind was that we should give it a try at least till the point at which we fail to go further.

AND THEN CAME SOMETHING, WHICH FORCED US TO GET THE CAMERAS OUT!!! Pics taken from 6:15 to 6:45PM. Just to give you an idea of the time gap between the SUVs and the Swifts at this point of time, the SUVs had already crossed Sach pass at this time and had descended to Satrundi Chk Post which is 15kms after Sach Pass. We had traveled just one hour from the start line at Killar.

It was around 615 PM when we reached the first Glacier and wow what a surprise that was! Yes there were some snow caps in the horizon but we never expected to come across glaciers on the road!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1521.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1522-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1523-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1524-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1525-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1526-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1527-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1530.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1532.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1534.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1535-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1536-2.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_1537-2.jpg

At this point we convened a small team meeting and I convey the message sent by HVK/Gautam and the 3 camper drivers to rest of the team and suggest that we should at least go to the last possible point the cars can make it to safely and only then decide to turn back (if we have to). I did not want to turn back without knowing how far we can possibly go in these cars. I wanted to test the limits – both for myself/team and for the cars.

Thankfully, without any delay, Yogen replies “Lets do it” and Kunal and Anku agree and, we move on.

Was that the right decision? Was I being brave or just plain foolish? Will this foolhardiness result in a huge damage to the cars? Are we risking our lives? What if something goes wrong and we have a real bad ending to this wonderful trip? Can this mistake leave a dent on our road tripping temperament?

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 2nd April 2012 at 14:16.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote