Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th September 2011, 17:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

Its said a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture of yours with that lady working alone in the field reminded me of a poem by the famous english poet William Wordsworth titled "The Solitary Reaper" that i am reproducing below:

Attachment 814752

The Solitary Reaper

Behold her, single in the field,
Yon solitary Highland Lass!
Reaping and singing by herself;
Stop here, or gently pass!
Alone she cuts and binds the grain,
And sings a melancholy strain;
O listen! for the Vale profound
Is overflowing with the sound.

No Nightingale did ever chaunt
More welcome notes to weary bands
Of travellers in some shady haunt,
Among Arabian sands:
A voice so thrilling ne’er was heard
In spring-time from the Cuckoo-bird,
Breaking the silence of the seas
Among the farthest Hebrides.

Will no one tell me what she sings?--
Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
For old, unhappy, far-off things,
And battles long ago
Or is it some more humble lay,
Familiar matter of to-day?
Some natural sorrow, loss, or pain,
That has been, and may be again?

Whate’er the theme, the Maiden sang
As if her song could have no ending;
I saw her singing at her work,
And o’er the sickle bending;--
I listened, motionless and still;
And, as I mounted up the hill
The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more.

Well done and do please keep the posts coming!
That was great! A poem I studied in school decades ago!

Chitkul is indeed a pretty place - often referred to as the "last village before China" which is not true though since the border is quite some distance away. They are building a new road to the border so maybe in the years to come, we may see further into the pretty valley beyond, for now reserved for eyes of trekkers alone!

The village has some magnificent traditional Himachali wooden buildings - as Lalu's photos have shown - and the Panchali & Shahenshah Resorts provide you comfortable rooms to stay in. Imagine the entire village shrouded in winter - and you can actually drive there even in Dec-Feb, with some occasional snow blockades on the road.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 17:06   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
after reading this and many threads about leh for 2-3 years, i have option to travel to leh by air this 1st week of october, but not sure about the weather there.
but I have decide to try and experience, though I am not driving, let me experience the bliss firsthand. any inputs about weather in october?
Adding to what tsk1979 said, expect blockades on the road due to snowfall occasionally, keep a buffer in your trip plans. Many hotels shut down from October onwards. Even after the passes Zoji la & Tanglang la close down (in Nov), you can drive around most of Ladakh.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 17:28   #198
Senior - BHPian

There are thousands of silent readers of this thread. Apart from exclaiming for the beauty you all captured and appreciation nothing more to say. I reserved this all for the end of thread as do not want to clutter the thread.

Only one thing going in my mind, when can I get time to see such beauty in our own country and chance to drive all the roads that you people covered. I am seriously thinking for the next year and if everything goes well I can take my 2WD Safari to these enchanting beautiful place called Ladakh.

Excellent travelogue where most of the members contributing in their own style. Keep it up and bring all. We are waiting.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 18:28   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
if everything goes well I can take my 2WD Safari to these enchanting beautiful place called Ladakh.
And as shared over fb, your Safari will not be the only safari heading to Leh next year. Here is another one to give you company! So do keep the hopes alive and revving. We'll be there next year

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 28th September 2011 at 18:29.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 22:59   #200
lsp
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your contributions. This seems to be the story of a thriller being depicted by each and every character of a suspense movie. I think the collaborative narrative is refreshingly good.

HVK sir. Your tips should be printed and bound as a book.
Laluks sir - your photography provides a welcome break in the reading to soothe the eyes and refresh the mind to read furthur
And finally to the Baby Alto guys. Thanks for showing us that as long as you have the will, Leh can be achieved in an Alto too.(NOM)
lsp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 09:38   #201
Senior - BHPian

Chitkul is truely an awesome place, its a very very quaint village in a valley that the pics certainly do justice to it. Thanks for sharing these pics.

@Laluks, now apart from Leh, i am also eager to visit chitkul and spend some quite hours away from all the humdrum
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:07   #202
BHPian

Rampur To Chitkul Drive
Aug 14

We had reached Rampur as the second last vehicle in the convoy at 2:30 AM. Had a quick dinner and went of to bed. Was dead tired after a long 20+ hours of drive and travel. We got a room facing the valley and before I slept I could hear the sound of a river. But I was too tired to enjoy that and it was dark too.

Morning I got up around 7:30 am openened the balcony door and the view was breathtaking.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5153.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5168.jpg

Our Bolero which travelled maximum on this Expedition so far. Resting after a 17.5 hours drive.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5171.jpg

Bolero Stinger 4x4

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5173.jpg

On the way to Rampur from our Hotel.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5220.jpg

On the way we met Chief HVK coming in our direction and he was going looking for a mechanic to check his brakes.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5203.jpg

More discussions HVK , Myself and VB about how to find a mechanic in Rampur on a Sunday Morning.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5213.jpg

HPTDC Hotel where most of team stayed.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5249.jpg

Great Intro and a small session from our team member and NLP Trainer JP.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5251.jpg

HVK With the youngsters in the team.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5261.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 29th September 2011 at 13:22.
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:25   #203
BHPian

Rampur to Chitkul drive Aug 14

Continues....

After a good break fast and getting introduced to the new members. HVK did a briefing about todays drive.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5276.jpg

A beautiful temple in Rampur town.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5279.jpg

HVK busy with checking underbody and suspension. His exhaustive pre drive checks goes something like this.
Engine- Checked
Drive train - Checked
Brakes - Checked
Tyres - Checked
Underbody- Checked

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5286.jpg

We are busy repacking to get extra space for fuel containers. So some bags had to be moved on the Roof Rack. The Charminar/ Hyderabad Swift guys BM & CV came forward to help us. You can see VB , NJ & JP also in the pic.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5289.jpg

Finally after refuelling all the vehicles. The Expedition started rolling.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5297.jpg

Good Bye to Rampur town

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5314.jpg

Into the Mountains.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5322.jpg

Roads were pretty good here.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5325.jpg

Green Mountains were so tempting - Couldnt stop clicking.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5341.jpg

Deep gorges and the wild river.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5360.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 29th September 2011 at 13:41.
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:44   #204
BHPian

Continues....

akaush and team following us in his Innova.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5382.jpg

Photo Break. Look at SKV's professional Camera.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5403.jpg

The Convoy stopped for photo break.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5408.jpg

Chief HVK & one and only Lalu

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5412.jpg

DB & SS

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5413.jpg

Akaush and his beautiful Innova.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5418.jpg

Thats my bro NJ trying a different angle.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5419.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5435.jpg

AP Swift & Baby Alto in competiton.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5436.jpg

Valleys.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5442.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 29th September 2011 at 14:14.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 14:39   #205
BHPian

Continues....

Bolero -Take on AnyThing!! Humble but rugged and one of the most successful vehicle from M&M stable.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5445.jpg

Fresh Fallen Rocks...Can be fatal to motorists.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5449.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5450.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5481.jpg

Wish our Cops were as friendly as this signboard says Sigh!.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5487.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5495.jpg

Spotted an Eagle!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5507.jpg

We say "Himalayas!! Where Eagles' dare". But this guys seems to be too cool. HeHe.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5509.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5523.jpg

I think these kind of road with natural tunnels carved out of rocks are the speciality of Kinnaur Valley.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5529.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 29th September 2011 at 14:48.
Old 29th September 2011, 14:51   #206
BHPian

JeepCaptain's Photo Logue Continues....

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5533.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5537.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5562.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5567.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5568.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5591.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5594.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5596.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5608.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5612.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 15:22   #207
BHPian

JeepCaptain's Photologue Continues....

Some Adjustment in the convoy order after a small break.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5645.jpg

Following the leader.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5656.jpg

The Convoy behind.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5673.jpg

Stopped to take some close up pics of Apple Farms.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5697.jpg

While both Bolero team's are clicking more pics- Akaush decided to proceed.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5698.jpg

I was seeing Apples on a tree for the first time in India and was too excited. ( Ofcourse I have seen them elsewhere)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5700.jpg

This stop was not scheduled. Thanks to VB for stopping. Knowing my Apple craze he was searching for a Apple Farm near the side of the road since we left Rampur so that I can see them closely and take pics.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5702.jpg

Look how happy I am. Another dream come true!!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5704.jpg

Happy Kids posing for us. Sangla Valley.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5714.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 29th September 2011 at 15:36.
Old 29th September 2011, 16:16   #208
BHPian

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5745.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5758.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5767.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5771.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5776.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5781.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5800.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5805.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5809.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5810.jpg
Old 29th September 2011, 16:22   #209
BHPian

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5816.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5820.jpg

THREE IDIOTS! VB, JP & Yours Truly ..Jeep Captain.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5830.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5850.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5858.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5863.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5867.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5873.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5882.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5883.jpg
Old 29th September 2011, 16:37   #210
BHPian

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5896.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5914.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5921.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5926.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5928.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5932.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5944.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5948.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5949.jpg