Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th April 2012, 14:13   #2161
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
It was KSM-vTEC who suggested we go ahead. We were with him till that, it is unfair to suggest that we "left" anyone behind. The decision for the SUVs to move ahead was taken after lot of deliberation - and also accepting that the chances of the Swifts making it beyond Khillar were bleak, no point in breaking up the cars.

You must have realised by now that the entire team was supporting each other all the way, and the SUVs decision to move ahead was not like some Indian cricketer jeopardising his team's chances because he wants to score a century or something like that. We gained nothing by driving the Sach Pass, nothing to prove or crow about, so you can rule out any selfish motives in this decision. Like many other decision which may be debatable, the team talked over the drive scenarios to Chamba in detail and the Mumbai Roadsters were well aware of the consequences of what they were getting into, wished to test their cars' endurance and capabilities as much as possible, knew that it was impossible for the SUVs to tow them indefinite number of times if in trouble, and well-prepared to retreat if necessary.
Kumarji,
please do not feel accused, we said it in humor-sake alone.
All Bhpians-if not world-know what is HVK and his paternal love to newbies, and his personal sacrifices and hardwork for well-being of his TEAM.

I remember just asking a hint on my forthcoming Linea-tour, and you mailed me a volume, detailing every minute detail about the route ! Oh, unless his love and compassion nobody take that time for a stranger...

And in this case also, we read the decision was a much deliberated one, unanimous. If Swifts not okeyed, will HVK leave them in the middle of nowhere and speed away? NEVER.
In that situation that is the right decision: 4 youngsters in full vigor with TWO cars. Even in case of a repair/break-down, not much help, parts will have to come from sane places ! And after all chicken have to find their worm some day...
Well, the freshers never expected such 'bullock-cart roads' is true... Even I didnt expect, but NOW know...
And if they were completed tour with HVK-care, they wouldn't have got this much applause is another fact !
So none is wronged or accused.
And enduring such harsh situations with determination alone bring glory
Sunney is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 14:20   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
i got the one bar of network that i was desperate for.

The text was “Sir, we have crossed Sach and are driving towards you. Please arrange for some food and accommodation. Will call you as soon as i get proper network. Reply back with your location.”

The emotions going through my mind after a successful delivery report of the sms cannot be described in words.
But I don't think we got or saw this SMS when it is purported to have been delivered!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 15:00   #2163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
we have crossed Sach and are driving towards you. Please arrange for some food and accommodation.
This was the SMS which I received after we reached our room. I was so much shaken with that happy news that I was speechless. The message was something like - we have crossed Sach Pass 1 hour back. Please arrange for some food and accommodation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But I don't think we got or saw this SMS when it is purported to have been delivered!
I did receive that SMS, probably in time too.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 16:16   #2164
BHPian

Lots of questions whether it was the right move to split up the group. The right answer is that there is no right answer as there are various factors involved and people who are in the thick of it are the best ones to take that call. This is coming from a person who believes rather staunchly that, in a group, nobody gets left behind. But the reality of a situation often trumps core beliefs in trips like these.

In a trip like this there is considerable risk involved, which multiplies by a significant factor when you attempt a dangerous pass like Sach at the end of an already grueling trip over harsh terrain. Personally, I'd not have left the vehicles behind, but I am sitting here, comfortably in front of computer. If I was there with the team I would not know what would have been my choice. We're also not giving much prominence to the fact that HVK's Scorpio was not in a good shape and was being nursed along, which makes one of the two capable vehicles rather suspect in terms of mounting a rescue should the Swifts get stuck trying to keep up with the Scorpio and Bolero.

If the Swifts were to get stuck trying to keep up with the Scorpio we'd be thinking that it was unwise to try and keep the team as one group. In such situations you have options, all of which have serious risks built into it. As leaders you make what looks like the right choice and hope it all works out well. Thankfully it came off well in this case.

That said, this should not mean that all hatches should make a beeline for Sach next season. The narration does not account enough for the quality of driving and teamwork involved in getting past what is, frankly, not doable in a hatch. All of us don't have the same level of ability/patience/teamwork/luck, so please think it through before anyone tries this in a hatch.

Lastly, hats off to the team, especially the Swifties!

Last edited by codelust : 11th April 2012 at 16:18. Reason: for clarity
codelust is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 17:32   #2165
BHPian

I wasn't there so I should pass no opinion on this "left them behind" thing, but I will speak my mind anyway (if for no other reason than that if I find myself with this gang in a similar situation, they'd know what to expect from my end).

Note that this is based on my experiences as I have described them. OThers' experiences would lead them to different attitudes.

1. If it were upto me, I would not allow cars to go along. Of course we have repeatedly seen hatchbacks achieve great feats of off road exploration, but its also true that half the fun is in going where you haven't been before, in conditions that you haven't tackled before, and in such unknown conditions, cars should have no place. I say this even keeping in mind the swifts and their heroic human companions did make it through sach pass.

2. Once I had accepted anybody or any vehicle into the group, I would not leave them anywhere. I could go for a split that would have say one jeep go ahead if there is a good purpose to be served (find help, reconnoiter, take people not needed at the site of trouble away to food and accomodation etc), but I would also have one jeep stay behind so that it could provide assistance and emergency mobility to those left behind.

3. I think HVK was in a difficult position. He could be inclusive and give lots of people the opportunity to attend or he could be exclusive and play the role of the three musketeers (one for all, all for one). He accepted cars into the group on the understanding that they would turn back if there was trouble. This is a dangerous bargain to make because when the trouble arrives, he was bound to find himself in the position of either having to suffer the consequences of having allowed cars (ie get bogged down in places where it was not necessary), or having to suffer criticism for applying the previously agreed protocol (the jeeps go ahead and leave the cars behind). It becomes especially hard when the car guys insist that you carry on and they'll make it on their own. If you follow the agreed protocol, you look like you left your brave and determined friends behind. If you stay, their refusal to turn back leaves you stuck helping them, in contravention to the agreed protocol, the price you pay for having allowed cars.

HVK's position is not enviable.

The question for me becomes, would I be such a purist and take only 4wd SUVs for the advantage of tackling places and conditions that are beyond the abilities of cars (or atleast spare myself the difficulties created by having cars in the group) but so also loose out the adventure and the privilege of the company of all the fine folks on this trip had?

Perhaps the answer is that it would depend on the nature and timing of the trip. If i was going in more dangerous times of the year and/or to places where road conditions are not known to me, I would insist on 4wd SUVs only. And seperately from these trips, I would make trips at benign times of the year to places known to be passable to cars, and on these I would welcome cars to participate but then there would be no question of leaving the cars behind on their own.

I guess what I am saying is what I said earlier. You can either be inclusive or you can be adventurous. And I would pick one or the other for any given trip, but not both. This team attempted both at the same time, which is certainly very admirable, both for the inclusiveness of the team and for the heroism of the car drivers who pushed through. but its also dangerous because it forces dangerous limitations and unpleasant choices upon the group.

HVK is to be commended for his efforts to do the best for the most number of people. Also, he is to be commended for not being dictatorial as the protocol required him to be. He could have said "My judgement at this point is that cars should not proceed, for your safety, please return to keylong. we will see you tomorrow in manali". And if did not say that, or was not in a position to dictate to people who were insistent upon making their own choices, then he should not be made uncomfortable for making the choice he thought best in the face the decisions others made in the face of their own limitations (we're going on in our cars instead of turning back).

I should stop talking now, but I would repeat the rule I just stated. EIther you get adventurous and venture into the unknown or the known to be difficult and dangerous, and you don't take cars (and infirm people) along, or you go only to places and routes that are known to be passable and safe and you take a bigger more diverse group (diverse in people and vehicles). One or the other.

Not both. EVER.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 18:53   #2166
BHPian

HVK Sir,
I made my comments in complete jest, only intended to produce some humorous relief for the readers from the intensity of all the action.

However, while reading the thread, I did hope that everyone will go together. I do not have the slightest doubt that the decision was a tough one to make and was made judging the conditions and information available then. It is simply meaningless to second guess it now.

While reading about the swift team in the waterfall, I could not help but wonder if it would have been safer and better if SUVs were around.
In the end, swifts did manage to cross the Pass, so I thought probably the call to split was made a little earlier than absolutely needed. But that is easier said sitting in Mumbai than done in Khillar at the dusk.

EDIT:- What's done is done. Now, the story must progress. What did doctorque do?!

Last edited by sen2009 : 11th April 2012 at 18:55.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 18:59   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Good analysis of the psychology of the "left behind" situation.
Yes, there were some angles to this:

- We had jointly worked on drive circumstances and knew the best-worst case scenarios.

- I knew KMS-vTEC to be a most capable team leader, who could tackle the most adverse of circumstances.

- I have a soft corner for small cars driving in extreme terrain, having done it myself many times all over India, and I just cannot say No when someone like the Mumbai Roadsters says they would like to have a go at it! If someone says he wants to do it - and I have known well enough KSM-vTEC last 3-4 years, and also seen the spirit and determination of the Mumbai Roadsters team - if anyone can do it in a small car, these guys can do it!

- I was not unduly worried about any mishap, only that the cars could get damaged or stuck somewhere - these was less hostile terrain than Ladakh, there was some traffic on these roads & possibilities of help too. Like what happened to me once during a trip to Ladakh in 2004, when my Matiz wore out its clutch plate late evening, we just slept in the car up the slope all night!

- Before we drove off, we double (or rather "several")-checked with them if they were sure they could cope on their own - and they said they were. After that, the question of waiting for them did not arise at all - since the waiting time would have been too much for us, as you can make out from the 4-hour time lead we had from around 1 pm onwards when we parted.

- In any case, each to his own. IN those steep slopes, if any car had got stuck, it would have been extremely difficult to pull up another - some of the slopes were too long, too steep and the towing vehicle would also have suffered in the process.

And one final word - if you think ALL small cars can make it up this sector, wait till you meet KSM-vTEC in person - he and his team are made of special metal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
HVK Sir,
I made my comments in complete jest, only intended to produce some humorous relief for the readers from the intensity of all the action.

However, while reading the thread, I did hope that everyone will go together. I do not have the slightest doubt that the decision was a tough one to make and was made judging the conditions and information available then. It is simply meaningless to second guess it now.

While reading about the swift team in the waterfall, I could not help but wonder if it would have been safer and better if SUVs were around.
In the end, swifts did manage to cross the Pass, so I thought probably the call to split was made a little earlier than absolutely needed. But that is easier said sitting in Mumbai than done in Khillar at the dusk.

EDIT:- What's done is done. Now, the story must progress. What did doctorque do?!
Absolutely, point taken! This introspection is required whenever you are on a drive/ expedition of this kind, and an informed and considered decision should be taken always, a lesson for all those travelling either alone or in convoy. Notwithstanding anyone having more experience or expertise, throughout the trip, we kept each other informed about routes, driving conditions, etc, and in many cases the decision was left to the best person to take in the interests of the group. Sometimes, personal decisions were taken too, that is why some decided to leave midway at Kaza, Srinagar and so on.

That is the true democratic spirit, and the discussions in the past few posts have been extremely balanced, full of useful tips for all those who follow and taken in the right spirit *thumbs up* Thanks, all

I am generally a loner when it comes to driving around the country, this was one of those "expeditions" with so many people and cars, adding to the complexity of what was already a challenging trip that had to be done within the pre-determined duration (since I had team members coming in from & going back to distant places by air) - and one can say this is a TEAM one can be very proud of being part of!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th April 2012 at 01:06. Reason: Please avoid putting-up consecutive posts. Use the 'Edit' function henceforth. Thanks :)
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 19:27   #2168
BHPian

I think I will enjoy heading out with this group because I could learn some lessons in democracy. I tend to be a loner as well and in group settings will take one of two positions>

1. i will take the leadership role based on experience and knowledge that justifies the role, in which case I keep the group small enough that I have personal understanding and agreement from everyone about having both the responsibility and leadership, though all decisions are by the consent and agreement of everyone. I tend to prefer small groups in this circumstance because consensus is easy to build, collective and united decision making is easier, and everybody owns responsibility for everyone else, and the groups are less inclined to run off in their own directions and by their own choices.

2. I become a submissive participant who has a clear rapport with the leadership team about what the objectives, rules, roles and responsibilities are, and then I do my bit as a cog in the machine.

What I am not comfortable with is having people in the group wanting to do their own things outside of common consensus, nor am I comfortable doing my own thing after having joined a team.

I am comfortable both as leader and participant, but I am not comfortable with loosely bound teams. Unless I am part of one of its subteams and don't care what happens to the rest of the team as long I and my subteam are getting what we want. BUt really, honestly, if I was going to have that attitude, why wouldn't I just go separately with my own team instead of hanging onto a larger group and cause confusion and chaos both for them and myself?

I guess, if i join an future expedition like I will get to experience and learn these answers which I cannot now answer.
Just my two cents.

Last edited by Harbir : 11th April 2012 at 19:35.
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 19:28   #2169
BHPian

I have been a car sales man for long enough and have had hundred's of customers test driving 5lac rupees small cars to 5 crore rupees exotics. I sit on the co driver seat at the time and its not difficult for me judge people behind the wheel. It automatically does that to you when you're in the motor trade for so long.

I had driven around with Ankit and Yogen only in and around Mumbai and here i was at Sach with them controlling my and KSM's life. Let me get some credit for these boys as the 2 upped their game. Showed some real skills that i have not seen many posses.

Lets not forget, these were the 2 boys behind the wheel of the (ONLY) 2 Swifts that crossed Sach. Well done boys.
doctorque is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 20:06   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
HVK Sir,

Yea, you are correct.
Seeing the photos of the 'road', the empty, barren, lifeless boulder lands and the ruthlessness of nature itself giving us a picture how lonely and desperate one felt.
It is exactly like you landed on Mars, and the Command module left forever...
For the command module it was not that tragic a situation: seeing the roads and 'impossible' task, Swifts can retreat. But who knew those diehards decided to limp on till stopped by mother Nature, and alas She didn't....
The reader not just reading it but EXPERIENCING the feeling, which push one to emotions, cannot blame.

End of the day result is NOBODY can be blamed, 'cause as usual certain events just happen, beyond our control.

Importantly, there is the happy end: THE MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ! No doubt it is teamwork won, all of them are praiseworthy. (and nobody expect such task achieved without sweat and tears.).

The saga will encourage many to tougher tasks....

Carry on...
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 20:39   #2171
BHPian

My question to HVK:
At such terrific situation, dead of night, NO ROADS VISIBLE condition, isn't it advisable to park your vehicle at the safest place, stay inside till morning, than risking even life?
Adventure doesn't mean taking near-fatal risks, esp. in motor sport WINNING SAFELY is the real win. They won even the Swifts reached next day, instead of the deadly drive, taking all risks, submitting oneself to lady luck !

I am not degrading the spirit and win of the two young drivers, but we may not take risks when we cannot calculate/assure all variables to our control.
Driving in a narrow, steep, rubble-strewn, slippery, wet path in total darkness+fog, in a city car, is a deadly potion, best to wait till at least the worst variable darkness is eliminated...

What do you all think?

It is a retrospection, stocktaking of events, which is essential for future lessons, and no blaming or belittling meant...
Old 11th April 2012, 22:12   #2172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
My question to HVK:
At such terrific situation, dead of night, NO ROADS VISIBLE condition, isn't it advisable to park your vehicle at the safest place, stay inside till morning, than risking even life?

Driving in a narrow, steep, rubble-strewn, slippery, wet path in total darkness+fog, in a city car, is a deadly potion, best to wait till at least the worst variable darkness is eliminated...

What do you all think?
These guys did not have any proper food with them. Given the altitude, bitter cold, hungry stomach and probably not a very favorable fuel situation, one would not get much sleep anyway. If they had good amount of food and petrol enough to keep the heater running all night, then taking a break at a suitable table area may have been possible.

But, from whatever driving exposure I have had in these parts, even when the body wants to completely collapse, mind wants to push on in search of better conditions for the body.
In a completely different scenario, most of the travelers in this forum who makes 1500+ KM legs, do so based on this logic (and time constraints, of course).

The idea of a soft warm bed and stomach full of good food (dal chawal roti type and not energy bar type) makes one want to push on.

...my thoughts only.

Edit - Please progress the story. These discussions can happen later also. What did doctorque do?

Last edited by sen2009 : 11th April 2012 at 22:13.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 22:35   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
My question to HVK:
Adventure doesn't mean taking near-fatal risks, esp. in motor sport WINNING SAFELY is the real win. They won even the Swifts reached next day, instead of the deadly drive, taking all risks, submitting oneself to lady luck !

I am not degrading the spirit and win of the two young drivers, but we may not take risks when we cannot calculate/assure all variables to our control.

What do you all think?

It is a retrospection, stocktaking of events, which is essential for future lessons, and no blaming or belittling meant...
Firstly, you want to stop - but where?
The only place where you can safely park are at either of the Check Posts - Bhagotu before Sach Pass or Satrundi after. Both these places have police tents. IN most of the other places, there is no room even to park. Remember, if you cannot see well, another vehicle who comes through may even risk hitting your parked vehicle.

That was the reason for our urgency to cross Sach Pass. Once we were through (I mean the HVK & BolBolero SUVs), we knew it would be descent and good roads from Bhairavgarh onwards.

Neither of us were strangers to driving hilly roads in the night or combating zero visibility fog conditions. We had a schedule to keep. We wanted to sleep on a warm bed, not huddle together against the cold inside our cars. The pleasures of a decent toilet would also be denied to us.

Yes, the road was tough, but at no point were we out of control, fuzzy or feeling beaten. The car cam videos do not tell you the whole story - the speeds rarely exceeded 20 kmph any time, whether by daylight or darkness. If you had listened to the original audio (edited out in the final video), you will find us very cheerful and full of beans!

Quote:
These guys did not have any proper food with them. Given the altitude, bitter cold, hungry stomach and probably not a very favorable fuel situation, one would not get much sleep anyway. If they had good amount of food and petrol enough to keep the heater running all night, then taking a break at a suitable table area may have been possible.

As I have mentioned before, in such trips, I always stock - and insist on others - to stock up food & drink for at least 3 days. At no point, we have to depend on outside food. Except for the craving for piping hot food cooked fresh So we were always well-nourished. In my car, both Lalu & I do not need tea or any hot drinks at all. You may recall that the previous night, we had such a fantastic sleep & were all fresh this morning when we left Keylong. Even after reaching Chamba, none of us felt sleepy or tired as we sat up over dinner chatting over the day's happenings......and also the phone call thereafter!

Quote:
In a completely different scenario, most of the travelers in this forum who makes 1500+ KM legs, do so based on this logic (and time constraints, of course).
Many have castigated me for endangering safety of Indian citizens on the highways in this forum before, and I am no stranger to being accused of being "foolish" and "reckless" enough to drive non-stop long hours, but that is another debate which we can skip here. I guess my drive record speaks for itself.

Quote:
The idea of a soft warm bed and stomach full of good food (dal chawal roti type and not energy bar type) makes one want to push on.

...my thoughts only.
Precisely, that is a strong motivator! Wed did not stop over to enquire if food was available at Bhairavgarh, I straightaway ordered dinner at HPTDC Chamba over the phone so that it was ready for us when we arrived at 11 pm. The satisfaction of having completed your scheduled tasks for the day
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 22:48   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! So much of discussions. This indeed shows the keenness with which our humbl log is being followed. Thank you guys.

As HVK had put it, I would like to iterate the fact that it was one hell of a team to be in.

HVK is a resourceful guy to travel with, and I have no idea what all we discussed under the sun when we drove through.

KSM-Vtec and the Mumbai Roadsters were so full of josh, that I just want to have another adventure with them in their swifties. Ofcourse the pleasure of driving a swift to KLa was just the best gift they gave me.

BolBolero and his team were so fun loving that every evenings we had good discussions and fun chatting about the days experience while unwinding with SS's hospitality.

Jeep Captain and Nobin - what a team! So helpful and energetic every moment.

Guys - lets go again - tell me when
laluks is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 00:35   #2175
BHPian

Quote:

But, from whatever driving exposure I have had in these parts, even when the body wants to completely collapse, mind wants to push on in search of better conditions for the body.

...my thoughts only.

Edit - Please progress the story. These discussions can happen later also. What did doctorque do?
Dear Sen 2009,
Ok, ok, I misunderstood the situation....

Youngsters they are, daredevils, full of enthusiasm for heroics, but not caring to keep enough basic sukha rotis, leave alone enough Underwear

I dont blame them, I too was a youngster, committing too many mischiefs...

Lessons...Lessons.

Last edited by Sunney : 12th April 2012 at 00:41.