Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th April 2012, 00:51   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009

These guys did not have any proper food with them. Given the altitude, bitter cold, hungry stomach and probably not a very favorable fuel situation, one would not get much sleep anyway. If they had good amount of food and petrol enough to keep the heater running all night, then taking a break at a suitable table area may have been possible.

But, from whatever driving exposure I have had in these parts, even when the body wants to completely collapse, mind wants to push on in search of better conditions for the body.
In a completely different scenario, most of the travelers in this forum who makes 1500+ KM legs, do so based on this logic (and time constraints, of course).

The idea of a soft warm bed and stomach full of good food (dal chawal roti type and not energy bar type) makes one want to push on.

...my thoughts only.

Edit - Please progress the story. These discussions can happen later also. What did doctorque do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney
Dear Sen 2009,
Ok, ok, I misunderstood the situation....

Youngsters they are, daredevils, full of enthusiasm for heroics, but not caring to keep enough basic sukha rotis, leave alone enough Underwear

I dont blame them, I too was a youngster, committing too many mischiefs...

Lessons...Lessons.

We had enough food and fuel for the entire night and also the next day. But we had decided that we will go on till we are comfortable and safe. We did not take any uncalculated risks towards the cars or our safety. Yes we pushed our physical and more importantly mental endurance level to a limit.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 02:01   #2177
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Dear Sen 2009,
Ok, ok, I misunderstood the situation....

Youngsters they are, daredevils, full of enthusiasm for heroics, but not caring to keep enough basic sukha rotis, leave alone enough Underwear

I dont blame them, I too was a youngster, committing too many mischiefs...

Lessons...Lessons.

I don't know about underwear, but they certainly did forget about food. Embarking upon the toughest leg of the journey under the absolutely non lenient supervision of HVK, its really unexpected that they left with only a quarter paratha each!
Sometimes everything just falls in place (rather... fall out of place) to create a situation like this.

Youngsters they are, in their age and in their mind. Unless the blood boils with the rage of the age, it'd be hard to keep morale and driving skills at the maximum in such bitter cold.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 07:01   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

I am pretty sure that Mumbai Roadsters had enough snacks with them to eat, they were too hectic in the days activities that it took a backseat and I guess that was not their priority. And they were too tired to open the boot and collect some to eat! But that they did eventually.

Having come to think about the day, it was more or less the same with us too. Though we had enough eatables packed in HVK Scorpio, we never bothered about it, since the drive was exciting and priority were different.

Guys, if your tummies are full - lets us move on to the next leg
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 07:35   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to all the four members of the Mumbai Roadsters' team. And more importantly to both the Swifts, stocks I suppose.
Most importantly salutes to your determination and the will to succeed and achieve. And the skills too.
Not getting sufficient and apt adjectives in my vocabulary to complement your great accomplishment.

Maruti Suzuki should sponsor you four and gift a swift each and make you brand ambassadors.

Last edited by rajeev k : 12th April 2012 at 07:37.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 08:57   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I don't know about underwear, but they certainly did forget about food. Embarking upon the toughest leg of the journey under the absolutely non lenient supervision of HVK, its really unexpected that they left with only a quarter paratha each!
Sometimes everything just falls in place (rather... fall out of place) to create a situation like this.

Youngsters they are, in their age and in their mind. Unless the blood boils with the rage of the age, it'd be hard to keep morale and driving skills at the maximum in such bitter cold.
They are talking about the half paratha they had at the Tindi tea shop at 1045 am, not the stocks of biscuits, dry fruits, etc that they have in the car. At no point would any one of us died of starvation or thirst!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 10:01   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
They are talking about the half paratha they had at the Tindi tea shop at 1045 am, not the stocks of biscuits, dry fruits, etc that they have in the car. At no point would any one of us died of starvation or thirst!

As KSM has already mentioned, we had enough supply of food and water to last us for another day. But We had tried hard to be where we were and at no point wanted to just settle for dry snacks. We deserved better. Obviously if we would have got stuck somewhere, the whole bag full of snack would have come out of the corner of the boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Hats off to all the four members of the Mumbai Roadsters' team. And more importantly to both the Swifts, stocks I suppose.
Most importantly salutes to your determination and the will to succeed and achieve. And the skills too.
Not getting sufficient and apt adjectives in my vocabulary to complement your great accomplishment.

Maruti Suzuki should sponsor you four and gift a swift each and make you brand ambassadors.

I did have this conversation with KSM about writing to Maruti Suzuki. Lets see where we can take this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Wow! So much of discussions. This indeed shows the keenness with which our humbl log is being followed. Thank you guys.

As HVK had put it, I would like to iterate the fact that it was one hell of a team to be in.

HVK is a resourceful guy to travel with, and I have no idea what all we discussed under the sun when we drove through.

KSM-Vtec and the Mumbai Roadsters were so full of josh, that I just want to have another adventure with them in their swifties. Ofcourse the pleasure of driving a swift to KLa was just the best gift they gave me.

BolBolero and his team were so fun loving that every evenings we had good discussions and fun chatting about the days experience while unwinding with SS's hospitality.

Jeep Captain and Nobin - what a team! So helpful and energetic every moment.

Guys - lets go again - tell me when

Lalu - Cant wait to join you on the next one.
doctorque is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 10:31   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am pretty sure that Mumbai Roadsters had enough snacks with them to eat, they were too hectic in the days activities that it took a backseat and I guess that was not their priority. And they were too tired to open the boot and collect some to eat! But that they did eventually.

Having come to think about the day, it was more or less the same with us too. Though we had enough eatables packed in HVK Scorpio, we never bothered about it, since the drive was exciting and priority were different.

VS

Quote:

No offense, but the above shows the difference that exists in thought process of people who where actually a part of the situation and the others who were not.

What Lalu had said is the exact response i had in mind but when i read further he had already documented it himself.

Let me highlight again we had 50ltrs of extra fuel in cans, 24ltrs of water and a few kgs of dry fruits, chocolates, biscuits when we started that morning. None of this was used(apart from the water) only because the situation was so demanding and engrossing that we actually dint notice the hunger almost till the end of the day. But obviously our energy level had depleted.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 10:51   #2183
BHPian

Looks like I have stirred up the hornets nest at the wrong point.

HVK Sir, Lalu, KSM and doctroque.. it is a fantastic and long story. I have been reading it over a period of time. It may have happened that I forgot smaller tit bits while reading. I was indulging myself more into speculating and anticipating on the more action packed parts.
The exact thought in my mind that point of time was - If the SUVs were around, at least they would have gotten something to eat.

When I read about the tang, I by default assumed that there wasn't anything else in the swifts to eat. I thought why would someone eat powder when they have snacks!
I stand corrected on this and acknowledge that there can be situations where powder is preferred over chunks.

Also, I assumed about the fuel. I did not pay attention where the extra fuel was mentioned. I assumed that the repeated trials at the steep climbs and the general 1st - 2nd gear drivings, fuel will be emptying out real fast.

Anyways, due to this small whirlwind I have started based upon my own ADHD, the main storm has taken a pause, which is not good.

Hence, my humble request to the OPs and the readers, is to shelve this topic for now and proceed with the story. We have left the team hanging high up in the mountains in dark night, rain, fog and cold. Let us please allow them to proceed and get the hell down from there.

The last thing we we want here is a mod to step in and close this thread. Please, lets not go there and get down to Chamba instead.

Last edited by sen2009 : 12th April 2012 at 11:05.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 11:10   #2184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
As we 4 assembled in BolBolero's room to have our well-deserved dinner, my mobile rang...........I said, O M G, O M G "What are you saying?" - and the group fell silent when I told them what had transpired.......we were all too shell-shocked, this was too much after such a long gruelling day

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
September 1, Leh
Leh- Kargil

We all very completely exhausted and our minds were also not working well to take a decision!!

Now what to do??

Found a way!!!
We decided to try calling The Chief himself!! But where is he?? We havent heard from him since last 2 days!!
Thats true... But what if he has reached a place or reaching somewhere there is mobile coverage??

We decided to try our luck and call HVK and check!

We started calling HVK......

Who did the call come from around 11 pm that night at Chamba?
This has engaged the readers' imagination these last many days

Mobile connectivity had been zero for most of the day, but when we got into Chamba, all our phones sprung to life.

In the entire Keylong-Chamba, route, there was mobile connectivity only at Udeypur (most), Khillar (BSNL) & Bhairavgarh (most).

So the call came from Bhairavgarh - it was doctorque calling!

"Sir, we are now in Bharavgarh, what do we do now?"
WHAT!

"Yes sir, we crossed Sach Pass & are now safely on the other side"
OMG, OMG, OMG!

"Shall we stay back here only or should we come towards Chamba?"
There is a IB there, try if you want, else there is a hotel in Tissa, but if you are still feeling fine, grab some food & keep coming to Chamba! You should reach next 3-4 hours max.

"OK, we will do that"
I will block a couple of rooms for you guys!
BTW, you are super-heroes

The rest of the SUV team was listening with their jaws agape, you mean to say the Swifts have actually crossed Sach Pass safe and are on their way to Chamba?
Kya team hain?

J E E P C A P T A I N never got through..........but that is another loooong story
hvkumar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 11:32   #2185
BHPian

So I get the award for the first and right guess......
Styler is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 11:40   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler
So I get the award for the first and right guess......
Me too :-D. HVK.. I did tell you that swifts will do it.
Harshavarthan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:31   #2187

The courage, efforts, stamina and perseverance IPHE team have shown is truly phenomenal. I am running out of words to praise Mumbai Roadsterís efforts. They indeed are heroes!

This one is an epic travelogue. As many I am glued to this thread literally from day one. Thanks very much for sharing in every detail possible.

On different note about earlier posts, the reasons behind the decisionís made during travel are understandable and cannot be contemplated in fair sense by anyone outside the shoes of decision makers.

I think on epic journeys or expeditions like these right or wrong is only in hindsight for journeymen, for rest itís an experience without an experience!

Thanks again.
spikester is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 12:47   #2188
BHPian

I lost.
(Please dont try to recollect what I guessed).

So,
over to doctorque !
What did doctorque do on that deadly night ?
Sunney is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 13:23   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
I lost.
(Please dont try to recollect what I guessed).

So,
over to doctorque !
What did doctorque do on that deadly night ?
Sent that deadly SMS, of course!
Elementary, my dear Watson
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 13:30   #2190
BHPian

Osadharon (Bengali for super superlative of Awesome) feat achieved by these guys. After all they are not called "Mumbai" Roadsters for nothing!
sen2009 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote