Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Travelogues

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2012, 22:29   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

More suspense round the corner. No guessing this time as it went off target at the last instance. waiting for the episode to unwind.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 21st April 2012, 23:20   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks

+1, Infact from all of us.

@MumbaiRoadsters - Where are you guys?
We are right here still celebrating the success we all tasted on this trip. KP YP AP and myself are together right now having some fruit juice and reading each post with interest. Looking forward to doing the next trip in a hatch with the same team and more people wanting to join.

I agree an suv would be good to have but the absence of one will not stop us for doing a trip in a hatch as mentioned before.

Thanks again for all the appreciation guys....I am sure anyone with the required skills and precaution can do what we have done.

Post by - Mumbai Roadsters - KP YP AP KSM

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 21st April 2012 at 23:21.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:46   #2253
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Mumbai Roadsters, will you please accept a standing ovation from me?
Thank you very much Sir! its an honor!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
..saw altos and 800s cruise through in conditions that nearly tore the guts out of the Honda I was driving.

I know hatchbacks can do things most people can't conceive.
Thats exactly the point we want to make here.

Quote:
How much trouble did the scorpio have at sach pass? What was completely unremarkable in a 2wd scorpio became a huge challenge in the hatchback.
It was surly not a cake walk for the Scorpio and Bolero, they did face situations where they were forced to backup and go for a second attempt. IMHO in the Sach situation, just a little more torque would have been enough (Diesel Swift) GC was not such a big issue.

Quote:
I mean no insult to you, your choices, or your achievement, but if hatchbacks were SO talented, nobody would be making low range equipped 4x4s anymore.
I agree that a 4x4 SUV would be a good to have vehicle but thats about it. Come to think of it there is no limit. Brand a would be better than Brand B, A AWD SUV would be better than a 2WD SUV, a SUV with a strong 4L would be better than just a AWD, a 4x4 with a lift kit/SPoA would be better than a stock 4x4, a SPoA 4x4 with a winch and crawler ratio GB and rock sliders and under body guards would be better than all the others....and we can go on and on and on...its just about how much of a budget one is willing to allocate.

The point we are trying to make here is that a 4x4 is not a must have for a trip like this. One may have to exclude just a few sections if traveling in a hatch and he is with family or not in a group but thats about it. Not having an SUV should not and need not stop anyone from doing the trip.

Quote:
although skill, responsibility and courage can help you get much further than you would without them, they cannot overcome the fundamental limitations of the equipment or immunize you from the exposure to luck that the equipment causes.
Again do we have an answer to how much equipment is enough to immunize you from the exposure to luck? For example we were stuck in Kaza for 3 days due to the landslide and no vehicle(of any type, including army stallions etc) could go thru. Yes this is an extreme situation but its just a result of bad luck. Luckily we were not passing from the landslide are when it actually happened.

Quote:
However, I don't want to be a party pooper or spoilsport, so I'll say no more on the subject. Perhaps I don't know how much conditions have improved in the last 20 years.cheers.
Oh yes i am sure the roads have improved as confirmed by HVK also. For example the road via Wari La was non existent in 2009 and in 2011 we had tarmac in a many sections.

Quote:
I am certainly not trying to undermine anybody's achievement.....I am sorry if my point has not been understood and has been interpreted to mean something completely different from what I have tried to say.
We completely agree! Please do not apologies. I am sure all of us are just having a healthy discussion.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 22nd April 2012 at 13:58.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:04   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
The point we are trying to make here is that a 4x4 is not a must have for a trip like this.
and all I am saying is that this is what you have proved. Not necessary for a trip like this. but all trips are not like this.

but I did promise to say no more about it, so I'll leave it at that. Thanks for your detailed response!
Harbir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:20   #2255
BHPian

Default HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 17, Chamba - Pathankot, 2nd. September 2011

Chamba - Pathankot

We ordered breakfast in our room and had a very very long conversation with KSM-Vtec, in which we discussed the drive of the two Swifts thread bare. We left the Hotel Iravati at Chamba at around 12:30 pm. On the way out we tried saying our hello's and goodbye's to the rest of the Mumbai Roadster's, but they were still sleeping after the previous days workout.

Since in was already past noon, SSj & me decided to skip going to Pathankot via Dalhousie and decided to take the direct route. The Bolero needed lots of TLC, which could be availed of at the Mahindra ASC at Pathankot.Yesterdays drive had taken its toll on the underbody, and there were a lot of squeaks and rattles. Before the drive back to Mumbai, it was imperative to get all these problems sorted. I also needed to purchase a new External Rear View Mirror.

A Flyover in CHAMBA!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-484.jpg

A Signal, after how many days?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-485.jpg

Chamba Valley
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5203.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5204.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5208.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5209.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5210.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_5212.jpg

We stopped at Banikhet to pick up a box of apples. Not a patch on the apples from the Kinnaur and Kullu Valleys, but then something is better than nothing!
On the way to Pathankot, a little before Tunnuhatti, the stabiliser bar, link rod snapped and broke. We reached the Mahindra ASC at around 3:30 pm. to be welcomed by Chief HVK, and the Bolero was immediately put on to the ramp to attend to the problems. That was the advantage of having the Chief go in advance and arrange for the fast response!

The Mahindra ASC guys were very helpul and had, nearly finished work on the Chief's Scorpio by the time we rolled in with the Bolero. They immediately started work on the Bolero and were finished by around 6:00pm. While at the ASC we caught up with laluks, sitting in the visitors lounge, worried as hell, cos his laptop was refusing to boot up!

While at the ASC, we had a brief discussion on the plan of action and Chief was suggesting that we head on towards Amritsar. But for once laluks, SSj and me, prevailed over the Chief, helped in no small measure by a call to the Mumbai Roadsters, who informed us that they would be joining us in Pathankot by around 9:00 pm. That sort of sealed the deal and it was agreed to spend the night in Pathankot itself.

We finally left the ASC at around 7:15 pm and headed into town to refuel for the next days journey. Finally landed up at the Hotel Le Kingston at around 7:45 pm. After checking in ourselves and booking two rooms for the Mumbai Roadsters, we freshened up and walked towards the open air Venice Resort to await the arrival of the Mumbai Roadsters.

It was a gala dinner, which went on till late in the night. So many stories and experiences to share! It must have been past 1:00 am when we wound up.

Total Distance covered: 134 kms.
BolBolero is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 22:24   #2256
BHPian

Default HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

GPS Tracks

Day 17: Chamba to Pathankot

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-17-chamba-pathankot.jpg

17 Chamba to Pathankot.kmz
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:23   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Chamba

After a good long sleep I got up fresh and eager to meet the SUV gang. I went out to the balcony and noticed that the Scorpio was missing but the Bolero had not moved. KP, YP & AP were still sleeping but I couldn’t resist and I called the reception for the SUV gangs intercom numbers. Called GB and luckily he was in his room, he called me over for a cup of tea and I pounced on the opportunity. (as the situation demanded all along during the trip, we never had the liberty to get up late and have a cup of tea in the room itself)

There I was with a huge smile plastered on my face eager to tell GB & SS eager to narrate the story of the entire drive in detail. GB & SS were extremely excited to see me and the look on their face clearly said that they were still not able to digest the fact that we had crossed Sach Pass in the Swifts. We had the Chai and I described to them each and every difficult section we faced and very quickly they would recollect which section I was talking about.

HVK & Lalu had left for Pathankot to be in time for the maintenance work on the Scorpio. GB & SS were also planning to head to Pathankot and visit the workshop to attend to the Boleros needs.

When we had entered Chamba the previous night we had spotted a huge MASS and had decided to get the cars checked and serviced the next morning. YP, KP & AP woke up and by now all of us were very very hungry. We checked out of the room and hit the restaurant in the hotel itself. We ordered almost all the items on the menu. As usual the services is the slowest when you are really hungry, but when the food arrived we wiped it off in moments and ordered for a lot more…lol

It was around 1PM and GB & SS had left for Pathankot already. Since we were to visit different workshops anyways and since by starting for Pathankot so late we would loose working hour time, we decided to stay back in Chamba and get the car work done first.

We visited the MASS got both the cars checked, got everything tightened, fixed whatever had to be fixed (nothing wrong with the white swift just basic tightening, one lower arm and one wheel bearing had to be changed on the silver swift – total bill was under 7k), cleaned our cars inside out, repaired the slit tyre and added a tube to it and were ready to go!!

The cameras were packed up hence here are a few pics from the phone camera.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011090200183.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011090200937.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011090200938.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011090200939.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011090200940.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img2011090200942.jpg

To be cont....

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 23rd April 2012 at 12:52.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:52   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Chamba - Pathankot

It was only 5PM and since Pathankot was only 150kms away we decided to do a quick drive and spend the night with the SUV gang. HVK & Lalu were still in the workshop at Pathankot and GB & SS had reached there some time back. So it was a good idea to leave ASAP and hence we were on our way to Pathankot…..

Dalhousie was just 50kms away and we reached there perfectly at sunset time. Enjoyed the view, did some quick shopping in the market there and we were on the road again. A little after crossing Dalhousie we stopped on the side as we were running a low (the last time we had refueld was in Tandi) on fuel and decided to consume the reserve fuel that we were carrying in the cans rather than going to a pump. We also got a call from the SUV team asking us about our plan and we told them that we were just 75kms from Pathankot. They were very excited (remember we haven’t yet met HVK & Lalu after Sach) and said that they will book a room for us in the hotel they had identified.

It was around 9pm when we entered Pathankot limits, HVK had given us directions to reach the hotel. On the way to the hotel we decided to get done with all the requirements for the next day and hence we topped up fuel in both the cars, visited the ATM and also bought some stuff for the celebration. It was around 9:45 when we actually reached the hotel in Pathankot and HVK and Lalu came running towards our cars. I cant describe in words the happiness and joy we saw on their face. It was less than 36hours form the point we had separated, but for some reason it felt like we had to catchup since a long long time…

We got into the open air section of the Venice Resort, the guys there were very helpful and accommodating. We narrated the entire story in details to HVK and Lalu…it was a repeat telecast for GB & SS but they were equally excited again. HVK had already decided to treat all of us in celebration of the Swifts crossing Sach pass and the place he had selected was the best we had visited during the entire trip without doubt. The food there was also amazing and we had the good fortune of eating daal chawal naan and chicken followed by dessert after a long long time. Thanks again HVK for the fabulous treat!!!

Each member of the SUV team was so happy and proud with the success of the swift in crossing the Sach pass that they just did not want to stop talking about it till the last moment when we reached outside our rooms… we stood there again for a few more minutes discussing one of the sections in details.

Over to HVK...
KSM-Vtec is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:35   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HVK had already decided to treat all of us in celebration of the Swifts crossing Sach pass
Each member of the SUV team was so happy and proud with the success of the swift in crossing the Sach pass that they just did not want to stop talking about it till the last moment
Mumbai Roadsters, I reaffirm that you made those like me who own a Swift proud by your exploits.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:29   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Mumbai Roadsters, I reaffirm that you made those like me who own a Swift proud by your exploits.
That actually goes for all the hatch owners, not just the Swifts.

Where, in your whole journey, can you avail of ATMs? Instead of carrying around a large amount in cash all the time I think it's prudent to plan and use the ATMs at the bigger towns/cities in the region to replenish the stock. Also do the petrol pumps in bigger towns accept credit cards? A brief note on this would be helpful to plan the finances.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 19:14   #2261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
That actually goes for all the hatch owners, not just the Swifts.

Where, in your whole journey, can you avail of ATMs? Instead of carrying around a large amount in cash all the time I think it's prudent to plan and use the ATMs at the bigger towns/cities in the region to replenish the stock. Also do the petrol pumps in bigger towns accept credit cards? A brief note on this would be helpful to plan the finances.
As I have emphasised before, Cash is King.
In Ladakh, hardly any establishment accepts credit cards, definitely not the petrol pumps or the hotels.

ATMs - there are 3 ATMs in Leh, but none anywhere else in the Ladakh circuit (I don't recall seeing one in Kargil). The ATMs in Leh see long Qs & cash-out situations sometimes.

En route Ladakh, you have good ATM networks in the PUnjab plains, Srinagar, Rampur, etc. Don't remember seeing in Kaza.

I think the point you must keep in mind is that you must carry as much cash as you can. I carry 2x my estimated expenses and I keep recouping it whenever I can. Remember, when you have on hand a medical emergency or an accident, it is only the cash on hand that will be your saviour.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 19:35   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
En route Ladakh, you have good ATM networks in the PUnjab plains, Srinagar, Rampur, etc. Don't remember seeing in Kaza.
Kaza has an ATM. It is buried deep inside the narrow lanes of the market. It is an SBI one, if my memory serves me right. Being the solitary one there if you're low on cash, make it your first stop when you get into the town. Before Kaza the last ATM is at Reckong Peo and after Kaza it is either Manali or Keylong that have ATMs. There is a SBI branch somewhere close to Losar (near that Chandigarh place), if I am not wrong, but don't think there is an ATM there.

Having a lot of people in the travelling party works well on the cash front. Even if you have 6-people in 3-vehicles, each person carrying 10K adds up to 60K. It will be drastically different if you are travelling with family or as a single vehicle. Then you don't have any choice other than to carry quite a fair bit on you.

Leh has an ATM away from the main market, near the petrol pump. It had very short queues in 2009, but found it also crowded last year.

Last edited by codelust : 23rd April 2012 at 19:36.
codelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:11   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think the point you must keep in mind is that you must carry as much cash as you can. I carry 2x my estimated expenses and I keep recouping it whenever I can. Remember, when you have on hand a medical emergency or an accident, it is only the cash on hand that will be your saviour.
There's no doubt about the truth. However I am just trying to see if we need to carry all that cash all the time.

Maybe from home to a point in the North, say Srinagar one could carry less cash and more plastic, and once at Srinagar, get sufficient cash to complete the route and be back in Sringar. From then on to the homeward journey again moderate amount of cash would be sufficient.

Another query on the same lines: Do hotels en route from Mumbai to Delhi/Srinagar accept credit cards?

I realize I am probably jumping the queue instead of allowing you guys to consolidate/post the financials of the expedition at the end. So if you can tell me when the financials will appear, I shall wait till then.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:31   #2264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Another query on the same lines: Do hotels en route from Mumbai to Delhi/Srinagar accept credit cards?
I plan my Bombay-Delhi drive such that I refuel at the credit card petrol pumps, of which there are many. Since I have already identified these in advance, I never take out my cash till I reach Delhi, only plastic.

Hotels - that depends on the class of hotel. All high-end hotels accept credit cards.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:13   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This board at the MASS can fit in the thread below as well.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/29632-how-do-you-stick-bell-wall-pics-quirky-signs-85.html (How do you stick a bell on a wall? (Pics of Quirky Signs))

Last edited by rajeev k : 23rd April 2012 at 23:15.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote