Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th May 2012, 10:50   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
One of my friends did Leh last year on (believe it or not) MRF Zigma's in his Gypsy. He mentions he had zero punctures, no cuts, no issue what-so-ever. Infact , his Gypsy still wears the same Zigma shoes till this date and we've done atleast 5 OTR's with the same shoes. I know its a little difficult to believe but I've witnessed this myself. I am sure it has more than luck involved in all this.
It's not too difficult to believe for those who have run the MRFs. Our Ikon came shod with the MRF ZVTS all around which were around eight years old, one of the tyres was showing visible signs of damage and the car still ran rock steady at expressway speeds. The only time I had to check the tyre pressure was on the day we collected the car. Till they were replaced they hadn't dropped any pressure. They were duly replaced by MRF ZSLK all around and after another three months just one of the four tyres has shown a drop from 32 to 27. Needless to say no punctures anywhere.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 11:50   #2312
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Honeybee, End of Travelogue?? We are only on September 2nd. The Expedition ended only on September 7th in Kerala. Atleast for Discovery Bolero.
Lot more to come and more action and stories.
Watch this space.....
Well, post end of Sach Pass episode, I feel the thread has gone a bit slow. That is why quite a few members are asking about the final cost details etc.

BTW, had read somewhere that you are going to compile the important points, like some of the posts regarding planning, packing etc. by HVK, in a PDF file for the future ladakh visitors. If it is done would it be possible to see in here on the forum? Or you could make it as an article on Ladakh with the help of Mods.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 18:28   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too much of towing/recovery esp for my discovery Bolero and finally the cloudburst in Zanskar valley caused maximum damage to the tyres of our vehicle.
And please remember the sedans in our teams. Both swifts and alto did not do the Zanskar valley route. Hence they were in better shape.
Oh yes, there is no doubt that JC's Bolero would have taken the maximum hit(on parts other than the tyres) because of all the recovery it did.

Yes the Zanskar trip was very treacherous because the to road had only small sharp stones for the entire 250+250kms. There were no major obstacles in this section (apart for the new ones created by the cloudburst) but the sharp stony surface would have surly ruined our tyres and would have slowed us(hatches) down terribly.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 21:16   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Gentle Giant, I trust you.. and I think it all depends on the route you went and the time of the year. Most of the routes we went, Kinnaur, Spiti, Sarchu, Zanskar valley , Turtok etc had lots of rocks, water crossing through boulder, rock filled streams. Too much of towing/recovery esp for my discovery Bolero and finally the cloudburst in Zanskar valley caused maximum damage to the tyres of our vehicle.
And please remember the sedans in our teams. Both swifts and alto did not do the Zanskar valley route. Hence they were in better shape.
And HVK's scorpio tyres took maximum damage since that was the leading vehicle.
We also had to drove through lots of fallen rocks ( fresh and with sharp edges) which were falling naturally and also due to blasting for road widening in many parts of Ladakh.

nix1976in, You were very lucky.. I think. Also read my reply above.
Quite possible JeepCaptain, while I am not aware of the exact route but it was something like this -

Bom to Ajmer
Ajmer to Delhi
Delhi to Manali
Manali to Leh
Leh to Kargil
Kargil to Srinagar
Srinagar to Bom

I am not too sure which routes were used internally in Leh and J & K et al, but I would imagine my friend didn't venture too much on treacherous roads which would have led to puncture, cuts, etc.
Gentle Giant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 21:21   #2315
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

Leh-Kargil- Sonmarg- Srinagar-Patnitop-Jammu-Pathankot

We drove through the lush green paddy fields.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5001.jpg

Not seen that many forward cabin tanker trucks in the south. I think they are common here. I guess this was also on Army Duty.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5002.jpg

When I saw so much of paddy grown in the kashmir valley during my trip in 2010.It was news to me.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5003.jpg

The Discovery Bolero and Baby Alto - The Best, Rugged & Reliable vehicles in their category.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5006.jpg

Leaving the beautiful Kashmir Valley

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5007.jpg

Started climbing again.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5008.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5011.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th May 2012 at 10:46. Reason: Jawahar tunnel is a no photo zone, let's not break the law. Thanks
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 21:51   #2316
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

Different crops or farmland. Look at the Corn fields.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5017.jpg

In the valley and around, I guess they use a lot of galvanized iron sheets for construction.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5018.jpg

More Paddy Fields

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5019.jpg

Green Valleys and barren mountains.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5022.jpg

Soon after exiting the tunnel there was a huge traffic jam which was 4-5 km long. Took a detour and cleared the jam with lots of offroading through twisted and narrow village roads. Check out the jam on the actual highway on the other mountain side. Thanks to a taxi driver who alerted us about this jam while passing by from the opposite direction. If we hadn't taken the detour we would have been stuck there for hours.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5023.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5024.jpg

Back to highway after a tricky detour.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5030.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5031.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5033.jpg

JP aka Jaysekaran Pillai. Tired but still in full spirits.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5034.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 4th May 2012 at 22:15.
Old 4th May 2012, 21:55   #2317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
It's not too difficult to believe for those who have run the MRFs. Our Ikon came shod with the MRF ZVTS all around which were around eight years old, one of the tyres was showing visible signs of damage and the car still ran rock steady at expressway speeds. The only time I had to check the tyre pressure was on the day we collected the car. Till they were replaced they hadn't dropped any pressure. They were duly replaced by MRF ZSLK all around and after another three months just one of the four tyres has shown a drop from 32 to 27. Needless to say no punctures anywhere.
Very true Honeybee, even my Gypsy wears MRF's and i have done OTR's and successfully that too where most AT's would probably give up. Its sad that the Zigma's have been discontinued by the company. Actually, I have a set of 4 Zigma's on my Gypsy and she runs without a stepney and though its rather foolish but I have done long trips on Expressways, National Highways, small offroad trails and the Zigma's haven't let me down ever. That reminds me I need to get that stepney sooner
Gentle Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 03:38   #2318
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5035.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5036.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5037.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5038.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5039.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5040.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5042.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5043.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5046.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5047.jpg
Old 5th May 2012, 05:42   #2319
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

Roads were good and the terrain was so beautiful that we almost forgot about our tiredness.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5048.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5051.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5055.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5056.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5057.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5060.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5062.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5063.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-5064.jpg
Old 5th May 2012, 08:18   #2320
BHPian

thats the gorgeous valley that you follow down from banihal town to the chenab river, where that stream joins the chenab, soon after which you enter Ramban (my dad was posted there in the early 1970s as a young officer). When I was a child living in srinagar, the road wasn't as good as it is now.

Whenever you cut a road into a mountain side, you cut away the support of the earth directly above the road, and you start getting slips, as the whole mountain side starts to slide down. By now, the slips have been stabilized so they are able to build a permanent road, but in the late 1970s, the slips were aggressive, and all along the route, the road would disappear and bulldozers would be working against nature to clear a path. the tracks would be barely wide enough for one vehicle, and our ambassador would slip and slide in the mud, inches from the steep precipice below.

the udhampur to srinagar journey was a scary and heart stopping one in those days. So much has changed. There was one place where you see a huge net to the side of the bridge. Thats there because huge boulders would come barrelling down the mountain and smash the bridge before that net was put up. There was one place where there was a water wall and the road went BEHIND the water fall because there was too much risk from falling boulders in front of the fall.

There is a stream in the area called the Nashri Nala. THe nashri nala area was prone to HUGE slips, called the Nashri Slips and at one point the whole road had been swept off the mountain side. At that point there was a dirt track on the other side of the gorge and the army put up a bridge that could only handle one vehicle at a time. The bridge was dangerous because it was mounted on land that was slipping. The Nashri Nala flowed through terrain that was red earth, so the nala would be RED. and as you crawled over the bridge to cross the gorge, the red nala (khooni nala they called it), ranging hundreds of feet below, the bridge shaking and vibrating under the weight of your car, and you'd be aware of being out there in the middle of the gorge up hundreds of feet in the air, held up by a tenuous bridge. When you got to the other side, you had to negotiate off the bridge onto the dirt road, while other vehicles were waiting, but not enough room and tyres would go inches near the steep edge.

It used to be REALLY scary. How civilized, ordinary and unadventurous it has all become now!

The nashri bridge no longer exists and that entire route has been bypassed. But if you get off the national highway at Batote and go towards Doda (another really great road), at one point the road climbs high on the side of the ridge across the gorge from where the old national highway used to be and you can see the old highway, and you can see that in many places the road has been irreplaceably destroyed by landslides, as entire chunks of the mountain have slid away leaving huge scars on the mountain side. Incidentally, if you go this way, you will be driving up above the reservoir that has formed on the chenab behind the baglihar dam and thats very nice too.

In those days, virtually the entire route had huge slips between udhampur and banihal town.

I also remember that year when they had heavy rains and one night locals in the ramban area heard noises like a celestial artillery barrage. Morning revealed what had happened. There had been a huge landslide and a village on the other side of the Chenab from the national highway had gone down into the Chenab Riber. Everybody in the village except a man who's gone to look for a lost goat was killed. It was such a huge slide that the Chenab river got dammed a blue reservoir formed behind the mud dam. It took a long time for the river to erode through the dam and start its flow again. For many year afterwards, you could see the remains of the mud dam where the river had cut through it. Eventually, all of it was eroded away. For many years you could also see the huge gash in the mountain side where the slip occured and the devastation it caused further downhill as the earth and rocks slid down the mountain, but now even that is not visible as vegetation has taken hold again and covered up devastation.
Harbir is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 13:08   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
thats the gorgeous valley that you follow down from banihal town to the chenab river, where that stream joins the chenab, soon after which you enter Ramban (my dad was posted there in the early 1970s as a young officer). When I was a child living in srinagar, the road wasn't as good as it is now.

the udhampur to srinagar journey was a scary and heart stopping one in those days. So much has changed. There was one place where you see a huge net to the side of the bridge. Thats there because huge boulders would come barrelling down the mountain and smash the bridge before that net was put up. There was one place where there was a water wall and the road went BEHIND the water fall because there was too much risk from falling boulders in front of the fall.

There is a stream in the area called the Nashri Nala. THe nashri nala area was prone to HUGE slips, called the Nashri Slips and at one point the whole road had been swept off the mountain side. At that point there was a dirt track on the other side of the gorge and the army put up a bridge that could only handle one vehicle at a time. The bridge was dangerous because it was mounted on land that was slipping. The Nashri Nala flowed through terrain that was red earth, so the nala would be RED.

It used to be REALLY scary. How civilized, ordinary and unadventurous it has all become now!

In those days, virtually the entire route had huge slips between udhampur and banihal town.

Eventually, all of it was eroded away. For many years you could also see the huge gash in the mountain side where the slip occured and the devastation it caused further downhill as the earth and rocks slid down the mountain, but now even that is not visible as vegetation has taken hold again and covered up devastation.
Wow.. Thanks Harbir, Thats a lot of info about Srinagar to Udhampur route.
Old 5th May 2012, 13:40   #2322
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

While we kept changing our plan about where to halt and continued driving towards Patnitop, which is now our new destination.. I just had a new idea!!

This was it, I have a Jeeper friend in Jammu, Lets call him AW for now, and I was thinking why don't I call him and if possible meet him up.Started calling him on his cell phone, but was unable to get through. Tried several times and the result was the same.

Now what? How to reach him? Why dont I try reaching him on FB. But then I don't have internet connection on my mobile and we don't have time to stop at a internet cafe to send him message.

Found a way, I called up another friend in Kerala called GG, who also know AW.I asked GG to find him on FB and send a urgent message with my cell number to call me back. GG said they are also friends on FB!! Voila!Then all the more better. GG Agreeed to send a FB message and also sms to AW's number.

Within 20 mins I am getting a call from AW. He was really surprised and was wondering what I am upto.He knew about our Expedition. but was not aware about the current status and also out route.In fact he was suppose to join us for this Expedition, but had to pull back due to personal commitments.

I said I will be passing very close to your town soon and if possible, would like to meet. He was so happy and started asking my exact location and time when we will be reaching Jammu.

I said we were planning to halt at Patnitop for the night.So he gave his location in Jammu and I advised him to wait for my call later in the evening for more details.

Meanwhile we were also in touch with HVK sir and was aware about the status of IPHE A Team who was at Pathankot. Until afternoon the plan for A Team was to get their vehicles repaired and leave Pathankot.

After I finished the call with AW, I called up HVK sir. He said, his scorpio is ready and Gautam's Bolero is also almost ready.But then since its too late they are planning to stay back for the night. He also mentioned Mumbai Roadsters are reaching Pathankot and they are planning a dinner getogether. So he asked if we can push more and make it to Pathankot! for Dinner!!
JeepCaptain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 04:25   #2323
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

With that phone call from HVK , our plans changed again. So now we are going to skip Patnitop and proceed to Udhampur and then to Pathankot.

It was almost 4:00 PM and we have not had anything since today morning. The last food we had was in Sonmarg.

We were damn hungry and soon we found a teashop with some parking space. Stopped there for tea.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6002.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 14:51   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile we were also in touch with HVK sir and was aware about the status of IPHE A Team who was at Pathankot. Until afternoon the plan for A Team was to get their vehicles repaired and leave Pathankot........ I called up HVK sir. He said, his scorpio is ready and Gautam's Bolero is also almost ready.But then since its too late they are planning to stay back for the night. He also mentioned Mumbai Roadsters are reaching Pathankot and they are planning a dinner getogether. So he asked if we can push more and make it to Pathankot! for Dinner!!
Quote:
With that phone call from HVK , our plans changed again. So now we are going to skip Patnitop and proceed to Udhampur and then to Pathankot.

When the IPHE team was splitting at Debring on 31st Aug 2012, everyone was feeling really sad and disheartened. All the team members hugged each other, clicked pics together and shared their unwillingness and sadness about parting. Everyone felt that the trip was coming to an end even though we had a few thousand kilometers to go before we reach home. WHAT A TEAM !!!!

But something inside told me that we will meet again and that will be very soon....as i was giving a parting hug to Shibu(JC) (who was feeling very very sad) i even casually told him - "dont worry we will meet on the way back home. You guys go via Leh, we will go via Sach pass and then lets meet at the intersection point, maybe we can meet at Pathankot! or may be any point after that all the way till Delhi. I am sure you guys will catchup even though you have to travel many more kilometers" And then Shibu was really excited and he actually started doing the calculations.

Yes the distance to be traveled by the IPHE Team B was much longer and in addition to that they had a few commitments in Leh apart from the Leh festival. It seemed almost impossible even if a nonstop drive was done from Leh-Pathankot.(Driving non-stop to pathankot didn't look possible to me at least because in my previous trip i had driven from Leh to Srinagar from morning to nigh and believe me it was a very very long day)

But the progress by the IPHE Team B till 4PM on 2nd Sept was excellent and when HVK gave us the good news that they had decided to go for it we decided to leave Chamba and reach Pathankot asap.

So will the IPHE Team B reach Pathonkot on time for a reunion of the IPHE TEAM? or will they be forced to stop by the physical fatigue and lack of sleep?

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 7th May 2012 at 14:58.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 15:01   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
When the IPHE team was splitting at Debring on 31st Aug 2012, everyone was feeling really sad and disheartened. All the team members hugged each other, clicked pics together and shared their unwillingness and sadness about parting. Everyone felt that the trip was coming to an end even-though we had a few thousand kilometers to go before we reach home. WHAT A TEAM !!!!

But something inside told me that we will meet again and that will be very soon....as i was speaking and giving a parting hug to Shibu(JC) (who was feeling very very sad) i even jokingly told him - "dont worry we will meet on the way back home. You guys go via Leh, we will go via Sach pass and then lets meet at the intersection point, maybe we can meet at Pathankot! or may be any point after that all the way till Delhi. I am sure you guys will catchup even though you have to travel many more kilometers" And then Shibu was really excited and he actually started doing the calculations.

Yes the distance to be traveled by the IPHE Team B was much longer and in addition to that they had a few commitments in Leh apart from the Leh festival. It seemed almost impossible even if a nonstop drive was done from Leh-Pathankot.

But the progress by the IPHE Team B till 4PM was excellent and when HVK gave us the good news that they had decided to go for it we decided to leave Chamba and reach Pathankot asap.

So will the IPHE Team B reach Pathonkot on time for a reunion of the IPHE TEAM? or will they be forced to stop by the physical fatigue and lack of sleep?
IPHE A Team travelled 700 kms from the parting point Debring to Pathankot, via Keylong.

IPHE B Team have to travel 1,050 kms from Debring to Pathankot, via Leh & Srinagar

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th May 2012 at 15:06.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote