Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th May 2012, 17:42   #2326
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
When the IPHE team was splitting at Debring on 31st Aug 2012, everyone was feeling really sad and disheartened. All the team members hugged each other, clicked pics together and shared their unwillingness and sadness about parting. Everyone felt that the trip was coming to an end even though we had a few thousand kilometers to go before we reach home. WHAT A TEAM !!!!

Believe me KSM-Vtec, That parting at Debring really made me sad. It was like all the fun and toegtherness we had, came to an end abruptly!!

Quote:
But something inside told me that we will meet again and that will be very soon....as i was giving a parting hug to Shibu(JC) (who was feeling very very sad) i even casually told him - "dont worry we will meet on the way back home. You guys go via Leh, we will go via Sach pass and then lets meet at the intersection point, maybe we can meet at Pathankot! or may be any point after that all the way till Delhi. I am sure you guys will catchup even though you have to travel many more kilometers" And then Shibu was really excited and he actually started doing the calculations.
Yes, During our parting hug- I remember you telling me that, "we are going to meet again soon". I was like for a moment. And then I thought you just said it, to make me happy! But yeah sometimes our inside Instinct does work or happens.

At the same time that one comment give us,especially me the hope to make it happen. And with that hope, we did the the impossible! Thanks a lot Kaushik for giving that great hope of a REUNION!

Quote:
Yes the distance to be traveled by the IPHE Team B was much longer and in addition to that they had a few commitments in Leh apart from the Leh festival. It seemed almost impossible even if a nonstop drive was done from Leh-Pathankot.(Driving non-stop to pathankot didn't look possible to me at least because in my previous trip i had driven from Leh to Srinagar from morning to nigh and believe me it was a very very long day)

Yes, We set the destination as Pathankot. But none of us in the IPHE B team dared to believe its really going to happen. I am sure even you guys didn't believe it too.

For below reasons.
  • Travelling a distance of 1050 km in a day in Himalayas, That too from Leh to Pathankot via kargil and Zozilla, was impossible by any means.
  • We were suppose to start from Leh in the afternoon soon after the Leh-Festval, and we started only by 6:00 PM. Which mean we lost precious 6 hours.
  • We were driving in a slightly crippled vehicles. Bolero with a puncture, which is not fixed and it was heavily loaded.
  • Baby Alto on Np_Enthu_Da (NED) was also having steering and suspension issues.
  • NED wanted to do this whole trip to Pathankot, Solo! Just to test his endurance levels which means we have three drivers for Bolero and only one for the Alto!
  • There were lots of unexpected delays on our route, like Army convoys, opening on Zozilla and Sonamarg Check post. Traffic situation in Srinagar city and Jawahar Tunnel and other unforseen issues like vehicle breakdown or something like that.

Quote:
But the progress by the IPHE Team B till 4PM on 2nd Sept was excellent and when HVK gave us the good news that they had decided to go for it we decided to leave Chamba and reach Pathankot asap.

Yes that call around 4:00 PM to HVK gave us a big morale boost, and we decided that we are going to make it to Pathankot, whatever may happen and meet the team again.

Quote:
So will the IPHE Team B reach Pathonkot on time for a reunion of the IPHE TEAM? or will they be forced to stop by the physical fatigue and lack of sleep?

Words cannot explain how it feels to sit upright in a Bolero seat and Maruti Alto's seat for 30 hours and 30 minutes, driving through one of the most treacherous road, probably in the whole world, and travel 1050 kms!!

And what was the reason for all this?? Just to meet up with our Team members for 30 minutes!! IPHE TEAM!! We Rock!
JeepCaptain is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 10:38   #2327
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
IPHE A Team travelled 700 kms from the parting point Debring to Pathankot, via Keylong.

IPHE B Team have to travel 1,050 kms from Debring to Pathankot, via Leh & Srinagar
Just to give you guys an idea in terms of the time required and how difficult it was for TEAM B, yes we did our overtime(which was due to the limitations od the Swifts) on the Keylong-Sach Pass-Chamba day but on the next day we were chilling almost all day. Chamba-Pathankot was just a 120 km drive which we did in a little over 3 hours with a couple of halts.

Whereas TEAM B would have to drive for 30+ hours...on decent roads (meaning average speeds we not bad) just to reach the same spot(pathankot). All this after 20 days of driving, a sad breakup at debring, a long drive to Leh, all day long commitments in Leh and then a long night...

Not only were they traveling 350 more kms...but they also had less time to do it.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 09:35   #2328
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

Leh-Kargil- Sonmarg- Srinagar-Patnitop-Jammu-Pathankot

We stopped for tea to keep us awake and have some snacks for our hungry stomachs. Something happened, like a miracle. A beuatiful Water fall next to the tea shop.

While we were stillhaving tea- Tadek went and had a quick shower in the water fall. Next turn was JP.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6001.jpg

Pic from the water fall- Thats how close it is to teh tea shop.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6002.jpg

JP and Myself enjoying the nice cold shower .

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6004.jpg

JP is having a water massage.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6006.jpg

Vyas Kaushik (NED) and myself.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6007.jpg

Trust me the water was so powerful.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6008.jpg

A Truck came and stopped there.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6010.jpg

I couldn't resist going back under the cold shower.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6012.jpg

JP is watching how they brand tow tractors in the mountains.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6017.jpg

Many monkeys were playing above the water fall on the mountain side.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6021.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 09:49   #2329
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

Washing/ Helping Truck cleaner to wash his truck.
Don't I also look like one

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6016.jpg

Some serious Head Massage before I got out.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6023.jpg

With the friendly truck driver. He was on the way to Leh.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6024.jpg

Fresh and Energized! Chalo Pathankot.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6026.jpg

A water tanker came to collect water. Look how they do it.. there is a small tank and a hole. You attach a pipe and the tanker gets filled automatically.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6028.jpg

That's the name of the falls.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6029.jpg

We left that place soon, refreshed and rejuvenated. So fresh that now we were sure we can make it to Pathankot.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargil-patnitop-6030.jpg

But a long way to go......
JeepCaptain is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 15:49   #2330
BHPian

I stopped at Anokhi Falls last year and was horrified at the absolute piles of plastic bottles and chips packets littering the water pool, around the pool, and down in the stream as it goes under the bridge. I had earlier being seeing plastic littering like this in every remote place, stream and pass I stopped at that had reason for people to stop at.

it was horribly depressing how filthy Indians are, how unconcerned they are with the cleanliness and health of the environment that is our home and has been bequeathed to us by our ancestors.
Harbir is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 18:20   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I stopped at Anokhi Falls last year and was horrified at the absolute piles of plastic bottles and chips packets littering.
It was horribly depressing how filthy Indians are, how unconcerned they are with the cleanliness and health of the environment that is our home and has been bequeathed to us by our ancestors.
Hello Harbir,

Yes. The story is same across India, especially at Tourist places. We Indians are just copying Western Countries in use of Plastic, but NOT following them when it comes to disposal of same Plastic Containers.

Just for sake of information in Jharkhand there is a oldest & popular Jain Pilgrimage - Shikharji. It is located at remote place with lack of basic facilities in close vicinity. Clean water is a dream not only for Tourist for also for Villagers & Adivasi population. But to our surprise, packaged (Plastic) water bottles are available there. The garbage generated is just disposed anywhere leading to water & soil contanimation. I am sure same is the story at other places in India.

We all have to blame ourselves for this explosion of Plastic waste across India, but everyone seems to be thinking this as someone's problem.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 17:49   #2332
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

After leaving Anokhi falls, we continued driving and reached Patnitop by sundown. It became difficult to take any pics and also our camera's ran out of battery. So there are no more pics until Pathankot.

It was more than 24 hours since we started driving from Leh and we still haven’t stopped and no plans to stop anytime soon.Now the new destination is Pathankot and we have 174 km to go which means another 4 to5 hours of driving.

Before Patnitop we had stopped at a fuel station for refueling and had a long chat with NED about his physical condition and the plan to reach Pathankot. He was tired but was ready to try to make it to Pathankot. If not we decided, one of us will drive the Baby Alto.So we called up HVK and said we are tired but we are going to make it happen.

HVK was really worried about our physical condition and kept on asking or saying. "Guys do it only if you can. Please do not stress yourself".

So we were suppose to reach Udhampur and then goto Pathankot.

But then I also had another plan of meeting my friend AW in Jammu. Called him up, and he said we can take a detour from Udhampur to Jammu meet him, and them proceed to Pathankot from there.

Original Plan
PatniTop -UdhamPur- Pathankot
Distance to destination 176km. ETA - before midnight.

Name:  Patni Top to Pathankot.JPG
Views: 6641
Size:  59.2 KB

Modified Plan
(Changed after Patnitop)

Patnitop- Udhampur-Jammu-Pathankot
New Distance is approx 216km.
40 kms more and 1 hour of driving.

Name:  Patni Top to Pathankot via Jammu.JPG
Views: 3812
Size:  54.4 KB

You must be wondering what made me do this crazy detour after driving non stop for more than 26-27 hours . See below. An FB post with an invitation on August 12 the day before we started this expedition. Posted by Ajay Wali, my friend in Jammu on my FB wall.

Name:  Ajay Wali .JPG
Views: 1848
Size:  20.5 KB

My Team was with this plan change.. but they stuck together and said Shibu, Lets go for it.

Thank you Jay, Tadek, Nobin and Vyas.Sorry for the trouble. But we are The Best! "Together we achieved the Impossible!"
JeepCaptain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 18:52   #2333
BHPian

Sep 2 2011

We reached Jammu by about 10:00 PM and after running around little bit and getting lost we manage to find the location where we were suppose to meet Ajay.

Met him, introduced him to the other team-members. Ajay was already familiar will all the names as he was keeping track of us through HVK's GPS Tracking, right from the start of the Expedition, and also through our IPHE FB group.

Ajay was orginally suppose to join us for this trip, but had to back out due to some urgent personal commitments.

Since we had exhausted our camera batteries. This pic was taken on Ajay's camera and shared it on FB.

Check this out Myself, Ajay and Tadek.
Look at me.. I look like a Zombie. Tadek is still looking ok and fresh.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ajay-wali-jammu.jpg

After about 30-45 minutes, we said good bye to Ajay and good bye to Jammu.

I was just looking at the route from Jammu to Pathankot and see how close we were driving to the International border.
At that time we were too tired and lost to realize it.

Name:  Jammu to PathanKot.JPG
Views: 5547
Size:  67.9 KB

Finally by 01:30 AM on 3rd September, we reached Pathankot ad Guess what??
HVK and Lalu was waiting for us, outside the hotel, on the street, without sleeping! Sorry No Pictures!!

That moment was filled with too much of emotions! The happiness of re-union, sense of pride for achieving what we never thought, we will be able to do it.The sense of togetherness and reunion of the IPHE TEAM!!

I don't have words to describe how we all were feeling that time. About me personally, All I can say is,one of the best & memorable moments in my life!
JeepCaptain is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 10:58   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Finally by 01:30 AM on 3rd September, we reached Pathankot ad Guess what??
HVK and Lalu was waiting for us, outside the hotel, on the street, without sleeping! Sorry No Pictures!!

That moment was filled with too much of emotions! The happiness of re-union, sense of pride for achieving what we never thought, we will be able to do it.The sense of togetherness and reunion of the IPHE TEAM!!

I don't have words to describe how we all were feeling that time. About me personally, All I can say is,one of the best & memorable moments in my life!
Soon after dinner we had decided to go to our rooms take a shower and wait for TEAM B to reach the hotel. I got ready and noticed that nobody else was ready yet so i decided to take some rest and this was a big mistake.

Soon KP, YP & AP also went to sleep watching TV and we had no clue that HVK and Lalu were down already.

Suddenly with some luck on my side i woke up, realized TEAM B could have reached by now. I called No_enthu_da immediately and got to know that there were another 30 minutes away from the hotel...phew

Was half sleepy anyways so i called NED & JC and told them that i will be in my room waiting to meet them but just in case i fall a sleep again PLEASE COME AND WAKE ME UP AS SOON AS YOUR REACH WITHOUT FAIL.

So they reach the hotel, HVK & Lalu highjack them on the read itself and then finally JC, NED & Nobin NJ come our room. They wake me up and then we spend the next hour narrating the details of our drives to each other. JP and Tadek are in their room and are very sleepy and tired, so i meet them for a few minutes and then all of us called it a day.

What a moment!! What a reunion!! What a struggle by TEAM B for ensuring that we meet again (even though it was for just an hour)!! Such are the amazing ways/stores/moments of the IPHE TEAM!!
KSM-Vtec is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:47   #2335
BHPian

[quote=hvkumar;2758836]
The IPHE - B Team in action:

[b][i][center]

I can see a Land rover Discovery and a Defender in the traffic in this picture? Were they an Indian group?
zipperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 11:59   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post

I can see a Land rover Discovery and a Defender in the traffic in this picture? Were they an Indian group?
Unfortunately for them they were not a part of our IPHE group, so i am not sure!

May be JC had a chance to have a word with them...not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 15th May 2012 at 12:02.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 09:34   #2337
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh No!
No updates to the log ?

I think we must move on. I'll post the drive from Pathankot by today.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 13:28   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Time for a recap:

How many cars & people did we have totally so far in the drive?

There were 9 cars & 26 people, of whom 6 vehicles with 13 people completed all the sectors in the drive, with the exception of the different routes taken in the beginning & end by some.

What was the total distance in the mountains of Himachal & Kashmir?

My car completed 6,750 kms by the time it reached Pathankot. Of this, the total distance covered in the hills (starting from Parwanoo, ending in Pathankot) was 4900 kms.

My Scorpio had left Bombay on Aug 12, 2011, and it was my 23rd day when I left Pathankot for the long plains drive back home.

Name the high passes that we crossed.

Ah, that is another mail coming up......
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 15:14   #2339
Senior - BHPian

High Passes (in order of travel):
(Altitude in Mtrs, Date/Time as per GPS stamp)

Kunzum la, 4562, 20/8/11, 846 am

Baralacha la, 4921, 21/8/11, 751 am

Nakeela, 4950,21/8/11, 1122 am

Lachulung la, 5083, 21/8/11, 1151 am

Tanglang la, 5352, 21/8/11, 424 pm

Pensi la, 4463, 23/8/11, 325 pm

Namik la, 3837, 25/8/11, 943 am

No photos!

Fotu la, 4121, 25/8/11, 1040 am

Khardung la, 5376, 27/8/11, 713 am

Wari la, 5324, 28/8/11, 1002 am

Chang la, 5372, 28/8/11, 626 pm

Tsaga la, 4661, 29/8/11, 414 pm

Namshung la, 4851, 30/8/11, 236 pm

No photos!

Polakongka La, 4966, 31/8/11, 842 am

Sach Pass, 4412, 1/9/11, 537 pm

Other High Places:

Malling Nullah, 3821, 16/8/11, 905 am

Komik, 4527, 18/8/11, 620 pm

Tashi Ganga, (on the road to Tiddim beyond Tashi Ganga), 4657, 19/8/11, 448 pm

Sarchu, 4442, 21/8/11, 849 am

Pang, 4529, 21/8/11, 112 pm

More Plains, 4678, 21/8/11, 306 pm

Rangdum, 4008, 23/8/11, 105 pm

Pangong, 4276, 29/8/11, 930 am

Hanle, 4269, 29/8/11, 634 pm

Tso Moriri/ Karzok, 4542, 30/8/11, 346 pm

Zoji la, 3542

hvkumar is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 19:49   #2340
Senior - BHPian

So what next?
The Himalayan adventure was over, the team had re-united, but now the time had come for us to go back to our respective lives.
J E E P C A P T A I N, TD & JP were scheduled to fly back from Delhi. NJ had to drive back with his Bolero all the way back to Kerala.
BolBolero & SSj & the Mumbai Roadsters were all scheduled to head back to Bombay, with my co-pax Lalu scheduled to fly back to Bangalore on Sep 5.
Baby Alto wanted to spend some more time in Delhi, so he was going to join the Kerala Bolero.

I had a clear 2 days to run back to Bombay, which was much more than what I had initially planned, testimony to how well the Himalayan expedition had worked to time perfection, and we did not have to use any buffers. I had feared that I would have to do one of those non-stop runs had I exceeded my time in the earlier sectors, but that did not happen.

I was keen on going by the Bhatinda super highway, skipping both Delhi & Jaipur, and I love these high-speed cross-country runs, and Lalu did not bat an eyelid either.

So here we are poised to leave early next morning - Sep 3, 2012 - back to Bombay - and just 2,000 kms to go!

So how did the drive through Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan & Gujarat go? - read on......even as Lalu puts up some of his photos which express the drive much better than words can.
hvkumar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote