Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd June 2012, 00:20   #2416
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
HVK Scorpio
Aug 12, Bombay-Behror, 1402 kms
Aug 13, Behror-Rampur, 692 kms
Aug 14, Rampur-Chitkul, 144 kms
Aug 15, Chitkul-Pooh, 207 kms
Aug 16, Pooh-Kaza, 178 kms
Aug 17-19, Kaza, 291 kms
Aug 20, Kaza-Jispa, 236 kms
Aug 21, Jispa-Leh, 374 kms
Aug 22, Leh-Kargil, 343 kms
Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms
Aug 24, Padum-Kargil, 275 kms
Aug 25, Kargil-Leh, 259 kms
Aug 26, Leh, 148 kms
Aug 27, 2011, Leh-Turtuk, 241 kms
Aug 28, 2011, Leh-Pangong Tso, 445 kms
Aug 29, 2011, Pangong-Hanle, 203 kms
Aug 30, 2011, Hanle-Tso Moriri, 188 kms
Aug 31, 2011, Tso Moriri-Keylong, 375 kms
Sep 1, 2011, Keylong-Chamba, 341 kms
Sep 2, 2011, Chamba-Pathankot, 158 kms

Sep 3, 2011, Pathankot-Kishangarh, 877 kms

Now see the video!
Is it a sin if one is tempted to drive 'super speeds' at such Super Highways, of course very carefully ?
Sunney is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 00:27   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Is it a sin if one is tempted to drive 'super speeds' at such Super Highways, of course very carefully ?
Well, I did not see any speed limit sign anywhere on this "super highway", and I guess this highway has sparse traffic and like most Rajasthan highways, not too many people around either. I took around 5 hrs 25 mts to cover 425 kms from the Hanumangarh toll gate to Kishnagarh bypass. This highway surely transforms the way in which we West Indians arrive in North India!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 11:10   #2418
BHPian

There is something i need to mention here as it came as a shock to me.

The 2 Swifts of the Mumbai Roadsters spent most of the day alone on their travelling through the states to reach Rajasthan in the evening. Took a coordinated halt with Bol Bolero for some tea out skirts of a village in Rajasthan.

Just when the team was settling down on the Khatiyas of the Chai shop i noticed some kids playing on this ground opposite side of the road. I wanted to take a closer look. Crossed the road and what i saw next totally blew me away.

This is the state where i have spent almost all my summer vacations in school. I belong to Rajasthan. In those days we used to play cricket outside our house with a chair as stumps and a average bat and rubber ball, with cows and dogs around a audience.

However, my view about my state was about to change forever.

I saw boys and girls on this ground, boys in pants and shirts while the girls were in salwar kameez. There were about a couple of dozen of kids with a couple of instructors. They were playing BASEBALL with all the genuine equipment. The right bats, balls, gloves for the wicket keeper (i dont know what they're called) etc. As it was turning twilight they were wrapping up and i couldnt get back to the car to get the cam for some pictures.

With a smile on my face i got back to the khatiyas to get my cuppa.

Last edited by doctorque : 4th June 2012 at 11:16.
doctorque is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 15:57   #2419
Senior - BHPian

HVK Scorpio
Aug 17-19, Kaza, 291 kms
Aug 26, Leh, 148 kms

Sep 4, 2011, Kishangarh-BOmbay, 1163 kms

One has heard of the dawn heralding a new day. But what does one say when you sneak out of a hotel room at 215 am in the morning after being woken up by a mobile call?

So, there we were, Lalu & I, meeting BolBolero & SSj who had arrived at Kishangarh from Pathankot just then, a clear 5 hours behind us. We handed over our hotel room to them and SSj immediately crashed, whereas BolBolero had the additional duty of helping us start the Scorpio, pushing it around. The battery terminal packing had become loose again, I guess, and the starter was not getting enough current.

We were off from Kishangarh at 245 am, on what was to be the last day of the trip.

There is so much of confusion amongst motorists as to which route to take to Udaipur.

There are 2 rads from Kishangarh to Udaipur:

Route #1: NH8, via Ajmer, Beawar, Bhim & Nathdwara
This is the conventional route, which is now being widened into 4 lanes between Kishnagarh & Beawar via Ajmer, and is a total mess in that section. Rest of the route is 2-laned. It used to be the default route in the earlier pre-GQ days, and I have enjoyed every km of it because it used to be sparsely trafficked and high-speed, although facilities were very poor. Moreover, for those looking to take darshan of Srinathji at Nathdwara, this was the route to take. From Kishnagarh, keep going straight down NH8 to go this way. The Kishangarh-Ajmer sector is in such a bad condition that even trucks are being diverted through NH79. Nowadays, there is heavy truck traffic till Beawar because this is a crucial corridor for freight movements from North India to the coastal ports in Gujarat.

Route #2: NH79/NH76, via Nasirabad, Bhilwara & Chittorgarh
This is the GQ route, the road that was stictched together and widened into 4-lanes. While coming from Delhi, you have to turn left after exiting the toll gate for the GVK Jaipur-Kishangarh expressway. Outstanding high-speed road all along, NH79 till Chittorgarh, then switch over to NH76 after the bypass. Very fast, total trucker route, hardly any facilities.

The first 150 kms to Bhilwara hardly took 2 hours, such are the roads. Established contact with the MUmbai Roadsters who were on their non-stop Pathankot-BOmbay run, having crossed Kishangarh at 2 am, and we eventually overtook them between Bhilwara & Chittorgarh. Small reunion near the Chittorgarh toll gate. They were tired, and one of the Swifts (driven by AP) was lagging behind, but KSM-vTEC and I kept pace as we left Chittorgarh far behind & sped through some of the fastest sectors of the GQ.

We reached Udaipur at 645 am, some 3 hours after leaving Kishangarh, and we had to say good bye to the MUmbai Roadsters who decided to go a little easier, perhaps take a roadside nap, while we were eager to get back home. I was also thinking of the advantage of doing the Vapi-Bombay sector in the afternoon time when the traffic is the least, and my intentions were clear that both I and Lalu wanted to get to Bombay as fast as possible....
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:32   #2420
Senior - BHPian

Sep 4, 2011, Kishangarh-Udaipur, 325 Kms

Yes we had decided not to stop at Kishangarh and go on till wherever we can and accordingly decide where to stop at for how long.

The rain was back with a bang and the fast section had to be done with much more care. We had also lost the good company of team Bolero. Just the 2 swifts and a few trucks on the road.

Soon we decided to call HVK & Lalu to check where they had reached. They had started from Kishangarh on time less than an hour after we had passed their hotel and were closing in towards us. We decided to reach a prominent point hand stop for chai and a face wash. This would give them some time to coverup and then we could drive together again.

The Chai session was over and the Scorpio was just 15mins away. We decided to drive further slowly and stop at the Chittorgarh toll gate (just a prominent spot) and wait for HVK to join.

Had a small reunion celebration with the chocolates that Lalu was kind to share as always and then did a nonstop run to Udaipur.

It was 6:45 AM when we reached Udaipur and decided to take a bio stop and also refuel the cars before we enter GJ. This was when we decided not to hold back HVK & Lalu and split the convoy again. Also we were not sure what was going to be our destination for the day!
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 19:04   #2421
BHPian

I did the Shimla-Spiti-Manali circuit in end may in extreme snow, the pictures and details are at quintessential travller
docfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 03:11   #2422
Senior - BHPian

As HVK says below already there is too much confusion on the road to be taken to Udaipur and I am going to add to it by giving another alternate.

Route #3: NH79/NH76/SH9

The initial road upto Chittorgarh is exactly per Route #2 below and then when one reaches the last flyover bypassing Chittorgarh, one goes alongside the flyover and not over it. Beneath the flyover is a cross roads where the road perpendicular i.e running left to right is the SH9. Left going in to Chittor and Right going to Udaipur via Dabok . Here are a couple of snaps

Name:  IMG2012051200064.jpg
Views: 2196
Size:  71.4 KB

The route though longer than the NH79/76 combo, is very scenic and full of fast curves. The road being only a couple of months old is in very good condition but before you step on the gas do note that it is also choc a bloc with hamlets which come up every 5 or so kilometers, hence one has to look out for small traffic, though there is not too much of it and you will be alone on longish stretches. BTW there is zero truck traffic. There are plenty of pumps, say one every 10 kms or so and two small towns with nice big markets, so facilities are not hard to come by. The first when going towards Udaipur is Kapasan and the second town called Mavli is also the turnoff for Nathdwarji on SH49 distance being 25-30kms.

Name:  IMG2012051200063.jpg
Views: 2517
Size:  71.4 KB

I enjoyed my drive as I had previously driven on this road with my parents nearly 11 years ago in our OHC Type1 and the road was a one lane narrow strip of dirt which at times would disappear completely. This time around I noticed the signage as I was flying over the bypass in my Cedia while adhering to my routine of never looking only straight up but of checking all of my mirrors as also the side windows every few seconds and upon spotting this old track, just had to turn back and recheck the same.

Name:  IMG2012051200060.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  65.6 KB

Sure am glad that I did, what with having become totally bored with the ultra fast but boring Chittor- Mangalwar-Dabok run. This was a nice change for me and brought back many old memories of the decade and a half old run done on a summer evening with fading light and worried parents and me assuring them that I knew the road very well while I had absolutely no idea as to how far away we were from our detination - What Fun, till signage and navi systems turned up and ruined everything.

Anyhow enough digressing carry on HVK and team..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There is so much of confusion amongst motorists as to which route to take to Udaipur.

There are 2 rads from Kishangarh to Udaipur:

Route #2: NH79/NH76, via Nasirabad, Bhilwara & Chittorgarh

Last edited by khoj : 8th June 2012 at 03:29.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 09:03   #2423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
As HVK says below already there is too much confusion on the road to be taken to Udaipur and I am going to add to it by giving another alternate.

Sure am glad that I did, what with having become totally bored with the ultra fast but boring Chittor- Mangalwar-Dabok run. This was a nice change for me and brought back many old memories of the decade and a half old run done on a summer evening with fading light and worried parents and me assuring them that I knew the road very well while I had absolutely no idea as to how far away we were from our detination - What Fun, till signage and navi systems turned up and ruined everything.

This used to be the traditional Chittorgarh-Udaipur route till the 4-laner was built. All along, this Kapasan route has been in bad shape, this is the first time I am hearing about it being done up. Till recently, both Navigators & G Maps used to point to this old route since they were not up-to-date!

khoj's enthusiasm about driving on the 2-laned road is understandable, but note that this road is mostly in bad shape than good and hence to be used only if - like he was - totally bored and fed up of the super-fast 4-laned roads. The 4-laned NH76 gets you between Chittorgarh & Udaipur at max speeds and is in that sense, incomparable.
Old 8th June 2012, 12:02   #2424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
I saw boys and girls on this ground, boys in pants and shirts while the girls were in salwar kameez. There were about a couple of dozen of kids with a couple of instructors. They were playing BASEBALL with all the genuine equipment. The right bats, balls, gloves for the wicket keeper (i dont know what they're called) etc. As it was turning twilight they were wrapping up and i couldnt get back to the car to get the cam for some pictures.
Truly incredible! This is like BolBolero reporting seeing hundreds of scrapped army Mahindra jeeps at Mandi Dabwali, near Bhatinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
[b]
The rain was back with a bang and the fast section had to be done with much more care. We had also lost the good company of team Bolero. Just the 2 swifts and a few trucks on the road.
We were luckily spared the rain the previous day. It is wierd but rains around Kishangarh at any time of the year appears to be common, I have encountered rains often in this sector.
Old 8th June 2012, 13:27   #2425
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Over 3 Lakh Views, 8800+ Pictures

Dear All,

What a readership this thread has got

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-log.jpg

At three lakh views and over 8800 pictures of the region, this thread is defenitely the last stop for any travel enthusiasts to Leh, Ladakh, Kashmir, Spiti, Sach regions.

Congrats to the IPHE team.

Thanks HVK for all the details, and JC for initiating this drive.
@Bolbolero, Mumbai roadsters - What fun it was, and it still is in this thread.....
laluks is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 22:45   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Sweet Revenge

Since I was allowed to go with IPHE on this trip for three weeks, my wifey took the revenge on me by travelling to China and Tibet with her all lady gang for two weeks.

You can read it in her own words here.
Memoir of China Trip – Part 1 – Capital city of Beijing « My Blog

Last edited by laluks : 8th June 2012 at 23:12.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 14:15   #2427
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue Laluks. Its been 3 years that i am planning another roadtrip trip to Ladakh but haven't been able to do it. Must simply run away again.

Cheers to you guys!!
Locomotive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 14:32   #2428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
Fantastic Travelogue Laluks. Its been 3 years that i am planning another roadtrip trip to Ladakh but haven't been able to do it. Must simply run away again.

Cheers to you guys!!
And I must thank you, Since I was hooked in by your nostalgic log which made me travel to Ladakh already twice
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...adakh-sx4.html (The Great Indian Roadtrip - Mumbai to Ladakh in a SX4)
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 23:06   #2429
Distinguished - BHPian

Want to see how the other side of Himalayas are?
Read my wifey's account on Lhasa Memoir of China Trip – Part 2 – Lhasa, Tibet « My Blog
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 21:12   #2430
Senior - BHPian

HVK Scorpio
Aug 17-19, Kaza, 291 kms
Aug 26, Leh, 148 kms

Sep 4, 2011, Kishangarh-BOmbay, 1163 kms

Having bid goodbye to the MUmbai Roadsters & crossed Udaipur at 645 am, we now had an easy day ahead of us. Being a Sunday, I knew I could be spared some heavy traffic on the Baroda-Bombay sector, and we had decided to head straight for home without any food or other breaks anyway.

Predictably, we faced little traffic as we wound our way down the Aravallis - but not before refuelling in cheaper Rajasthan - and reached the Ahmedabad Ring Road at 10 am. To avoid the traffic jams on the NH8 bypass in the Bharuch-Ankleshwar sector, we turned off into the town and took the Golden Bridge, having an easy drive through.

At 6 pm, we were in Thane, back home. The Ladakh drive was over. 24 days of a fantastic holiday. What a team!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote