Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th June 2012, 21:29   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
At 6 pm, we were in Thane, back home. The Ladakh drive was over. 24 days of a fantastic holiday. What a team!
Readers who followed closely also would've got a feeling of having reached home safely after a fantastic adventure.
Hats off to the Team.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 21:39   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

HVK Scorpio Log BOOK of Sep 4, 2011, Kishangarh-Bombay

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-day-24-bombay.jpg
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 22:09   #2433
Senior - BHPian

^^^ How you key in the HVK Scorpio log during the hectic driving is one thing which has amused me, perhaps many. Let me ask you how you do it with such clockwork precision.
Another aspect to be complemented is the fact that you were behind the wheel throughout the expedition and I hope so too, BolBolero.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 23:00   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
^^^ How you key in the HVK Scorpio log during the hectic driving is one thing which has amused me, perhaps many. Let me ask you how you do it with such clockwork precision.

What you see is the final log book, based on my hand-scribbled notings. These are "faired" later.

Here is how my log book looks like:

Name:  DSC_3395.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  85.4 KB

Quote:
Another aspect to be complemented is the fact that you were behind the wheel throughout the expedition and I hope so too, BolBolero.
No, I was the only guy who drove my own car throughout - as usual.
BolBolero shared the wheel with SSj.
J E E P C A P T A I N's car was driven by everyone else except TD
I think AP also drove his Swift exclusively, but not sure.
Even ned surrendered the wheel of his Alto in the earlier days of the trip.
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 01:17   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
Unfortunately I am not as uniquely blessed as HVK, to be behind the wheel throughout!
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 10:26   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I think AP also drove his Swift exclusively, but not sure.
The MumbaiRoadster Swifts were almost equally driven by all four of us (YP, AP, KP & KSM)
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 13:01   #2437

Cool Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Wow!!! This is my first post after i got my membership last week and I have been wanting to tell the whole team this from the day you started the travelogue. That was one awesome journey successfully completed. I have been following the thread from the beginning and what a travelogue it has been. Firstly i would like to thank the whole team for showing us Leh for the lesser fortunate people who have not been able to see that part of the world.

The many things that standout in this journey is
1) The team effort you guys have shown in completing the journey and the great co-ordination in completing this travelogue
2) Some really great pictures by LALUKS
3)The trip logging and leadership of HVK ( I am really amazed at the amount of data he collects for helping other travel's- hats off to him)
4) Finally the Mumbai Roadsters crossing the Sach pass on their own.Great going guys

Congratulations to the whole team for this memorable road trip.

Cheers
SujineRaj is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 15:24   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Sep 4, 2011, Udaipur - Mumbai, 730Kms

So here we are on the outskirts of Udaipur at around 7AM waiting to begin the next leg of the return journey not knowing exactly till where we will make it before we stop.

We have some samosas and chai and head towards Ahmadabad which was our next target. AP has a house there and we could take some rest there for sure. So having covered 260kms we reach Ahmadabad around lunch time. AP had to pickup his wife from Ahmadabad (if you remember we had dropped her in GJ on our way to Ladakh) anyways so we go to his house very close to the ring road.

Some tasty hot batata poha and sharbat was served immediately and our tanks were refueled for the next leg which we decided to go for immediately.

So now it was YP, KP and myself in the silver swift and AP and wife in the white one. NE1 was a smooth and quick drive and we kept going further towards MH. Soon reached the state boundary and stop again for some early evening naashta. Surprisingly we faced some heavy rains as soon as we entered MH and hence had to slowdown substantially.

As we were closing into Mumbai the traffic level increased drastically and as usual we were bogged down by a huge traffic jam even before we reached Vasai.

Having lost over 2 hours in traffic we finally reached Andheri around 830PM on 4th Sept 2012.

A successful NON STOP run of around 1900KMS from PATHANKOT TO MUMBAI to end our legendary trip that we had as a part of the IPHE TEAM

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-return-nonstop.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Sep 4, 2011, Kishangarh-Udaipur, 325 Kms

Yes we had decided not to stop at Kishangarh and go on till wherever we can and accordingly decide where to stop at for how long.

The rain was back with a bang and the fast section had to be done with much more care. We had also lost the good company of team Bolero. Just the 2 swifts and a few trucks on the road.

Soon we decided to call HVK & Lalu to check where they had reached. They had started from Kishangarh on time less than an hour after we had passed their hotel and were closing in towards us. We decided to reach a prominent point hand stop for chai and a face wash. This would give them some time to coverup and then we could drive together again.

The Chai session was over and the Scorpio was just 15mins away. We decided to drive further slowly and stop at the Chittorgarh toll gate (just a prominent spot) and wait for HVK to join.

Had a small reunion celebration with the chocolates that Lalu was kind to share as always and then did a nonstop run to Udaipur.

It was 6:45 AM when we reached Udaipur and decided to take a bio stop and also refuel the cars before we enter GJ. This was when we decided not to hold back HVK & Lalu and split the convoy again. Also we were not sure what was going to be our destination for the day!
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 14:27   #2439
Senior - BHPian

I think this is by far the best travelogue posted here. I am sure there's nothing 'new' about people taking the Ladakh tour, people from different parts of India joining together for a long tour, the difficulties faced en route or the team spirit shown in the travel. However, what makes this travelogue unique is the way the team took to writing it. Just like in the actual travel everybody played their parts, the same team effort is on display here, with each team member adding a small piece of the puzzle and finally the whole picture is completed. This is a fitting finish to the extraordinary journey you guys undertook.

Rating this thread a five-starrer is probably saying too little about it all.
honeybee is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:46   #2440
BHPian

Thumbs up HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 19, Kishangarh - Baroda, 4th. September 2011

Having usurped the room of HVK & laluks at Hotel Panghat, Kishangarh for a little rest, we left the hotel at around 5:00 am. The hotel was not something that I would recommend to fellow travellers, especially families! The bath/ toilets were not the cleanest.

It was raining quite heavily when we left Kishangarh. After a drive of around half an hour, we found a small roadside stall which was just opening up and we stopped here to have some tea. Somewhere near Bandanwara I decided to pull over and have a small power nap, as my eyes refused to stay open. SSj was also also napping and I didn't want to wake him up. Since our destination for the day was Baroda, there was no point in pushing through, besides we would be meeting our friend's family only in the evening to offer our condolences. Unfortunately the power nap turned into a long one hour sleep! Though the end result was that I was pretty much awake and refreshed.

Reached the Udaipur bypass start at around 11:20 am, nearly five and a half hours behind HVK, Laluks and the Mumbai Roadsters. Stopped to have a cup of tea! (What is new?) Out at the other end of the Udaipur Bypass by around 12:10 pm.

Since we had not had any breakfast, we decided to halt for an early lunch, so somewhere a little after Rishabdev, we halted at a decent looking restaurant! Unfortunately due to the decent looks of the hotel, there weren't many patrons and the service was real slow! The food also was just about average. Lesson learnt, roadside dhabas is the way to go!

Reached the start of the Ahmedabad Baroda Expressway at around 5:00pm and were at the other end at around 5:55pm! Then it was searching for hotels in Baroda, till we settled into Hotel Rahi Inn, in Sayajiganj, at around 6:45 pm.

After washing up, we went to our friends house to offer our condolences and spent a couple of hours with the family! Returned back to the hotel at around 10:00pm and promptly crashed into bed!

Total distance covered: 694 kms.
BolBolero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:57   #2441
BHPian

Thumbs up HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

GPS Tracks

Day 18 - 19 : Pathankot to Kishangarh to Baroda

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-18-19-pathankot-kishangarh-baroda.jpg

18 19 Pathankot to Kishangarh to Baroda.kmz
Old 24th June 2012, 10:55   #2442
BHPian

Day 20, Baroda - Mumbai, 5th. September 2011

The last leg and last day of the fantastic Ladakh journey for the SSj and me!

We left from the hotel in Baroda at around 6:15am. Planning to reach the outskirts of Mumbai, namely Ghodbunder bridge at around noon, so that we wouldn't have to face any major traffic snarls!

As has been the norm for many of the travellers these days, went into Bharuch town to take the old Golden Gate Bridge over River Narmada, and rejoined the NH8 after Ankleshwar.

Not very heavy traffic, but we were also taking it quite easy and driving at a sedate pace. Reached the outskirts of Navsari at around 9:15, when I decided to stop for breakfast , promising SSj, that I would have him feast on some delicious FAFDA, JILEBI, AAMIRI KHAMAN, etc. from a few roadside eateries on the highway, which I used to frequent during my working days in Navsari, many many years ago! Unfortunately what I remembered and had many years ago didn't exist, except in my memory!
Moved on and stopped a few kms. away from Navsari, and had a South Indian Breakfast of IDLI, WADA, DOSA in a restaurant belonging to a CHILIYA MEMON! And he did not serve anything Non Veg. Not even simple Omellette & Pav!

Back on the road again for the final leg to AAMCHI MUMBAI! Reached the outskirts of Mumbai at around 2:05 pm. SSj was keen on seeing the BWSL, so took that route to reach Tardeo, our final destination!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-489.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-491.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-492.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-495.jpg

Finally reached home at 3:10 pm after an epic 20 day trip! Amazing trip, amazing cars, amazing companions, amazing sights and amazing stories! What more could one ask for.......

Besides this..
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-497.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-ladakh-trip-498.jpg
BolBolero is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 10:59   #2443
BHPian

GPS Tracks

Day 20: Baroda to Mumbai

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-20-baroda-mumbai.jpg

20 Baroda to Mumbai.kmz
Old 24th June 2012, 11:57   #2444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post

That is what the trip meant to our families who did not come with us on our trip!
24 days away from home (20 in the case of BolBolero). I am sure they were relieved to see us back safe. Hardly in touch with them most of the days were on the drive, both due to lack of mobile connectivity as well as tightly-packed driving days!

Last edited by hvkumar : 24th June 2012 at 11:59.
hvkumar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 10:43   #2445
Senior - BHPian

HVK Scorpio Trip Summary

Name:  trip summary.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  164.4 KB

Last edited by hvkumar : 10th July 2012 at 10:45.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote