Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd August 2013, 23:13   #2476
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsumit View Post
Hello HVK sir ,
My name is sumit and i am new comer to this elite community and i have been avidly reading your TLs or should i say memoirs since a long time .I admire the feats that you have accompalished with the modesty that you have displayed.
I am planning a trip to Kaza from Mumbai and would be retracing your path.
I have a few queries for which i need some of your insight;
1. I am gonna drive my Mahindra Logan , can i do the trip in that.
2. I checked up the exact working principle of a 4x4 drive and if i am not wrong it basically provides the necessary torque and thereby traction to wheels as required. So can i safely say that if i use snow chains i will be able to compensate for the loss of traction and in a way the loss of 4X4 drive option.
3. Are snow chains good to use on rocky paths as well , i could not get a satisfactory answer from Google on this .
4. Where in India are snow chains available.The ones from Thule are available in Bangalore.

Regards
Sumit
A LOgan will find it very difficult to do Kaza-Manali.
The road is very rocky & there are some nasty water crossings.
Having low GC & long wheelbase, the Logan could risk getting hit in its underbody.
No, the issue is not of traction but about being able to navigate the rocky uneven sections.
No, you cannot use snow chains on rocky terrain.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 07:38   #2477
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Sir ,
Could i attempt till Kaza from the Delhi side( Basically rampur>chitkul>kalpa>pooh>kaza and then in and around Kaza) like how it was done during your time .I will not attempt Kaza towards Manali.

regards
swsumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 17:05   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir ,
Could i attempt till Kaza from the Delhi side( Basically rampur>chitkul>kalpa>pooh>kaza and then in and around Kaza) like how it was done during your time .I will not attempt Kaza towards Manali.

regards
Del- Kaza should not be a problem if you plan to turn back from Kaza.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 18:04   #2479
Senior - BHPian

Kaza Manali is doable in a logan if you know your cars limitations and your own. Also beginners luck helps at times. My cousin (against my sincere advise not to) did this route in a Santro while on his Honeymoon. And he is still happily married.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 22:45   #2480
BHPian

Dear sirs ,
thank you for the reply , i am attempting the trip from Mumbai till Losar and then back.My start date is 09 sep. I am worried about the road conditions this year in the Kinnaur valley , though have been told that the roads are open.
Regards
sumit
Old 5th September 2013, 23:59   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir ,

regards
Quote:
Dear sirs ,
thank you for the reply , i am attempting the trip from Mumbai till Losar and then back.My start date is 09 sep. I am worried about the road conditions this year in the Kinnaur valley , though have been told that the roads are open.
Regards
sumit
This year, the Kaza-Rampur road has faced more dislocation - due to land slides, flooding, etc - than the Kaza-Manali route. The road has been open and shut, and last heard of, is in bad shape around Nako.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 10:21   #2482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This year, the Kaza-Rampur road has faced more dislocation - due to land slides, flooding, etc - than the Kaza-Manali route. The road has been open and shut, and last heard of, is in bad shape around Nako.
I concur. It will be faster to go through Manali, and less chance of disruption. You can always come back via Kaza-Shimla route if you so desire.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 09:16   #2483
BHPian

Hello ,
i am worried but then i have done all the bookings and made all the preparations and to change it at this late stage is not feasible and also would become haphazard. I did speak to ppl at poo ( Mr Tanzim) and at Kaza ( Mr Ramesh) and they said that the roads are open and ppl are coming in but yes no one is exactly able to tell me the road conditions.
The IMD-weather of Himachal too i am going through almost on a daily basis which predicts the weather forecast and it predicts sunny weather from 9th onwards .
So i think i will go ahead with the original plan and stick to the schedule for now .
HVK sir could i have your contact number pls in case that would be feasible for you to share in case i need some help .
Regards
sumit
Old 8th September 2013, 21:58   #2484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello ,
i am worried but then i have done all the bookings and made all the preparations and to change it at this late stage is not feasible and also would become haphazard. I did speak to ppl at poo ( Mr Tanzim) and at Kaza ( Mr Ramesh) and they said that the roads are open and ppl are coming in but yes no one is exactly able to tell me the road conditions.
The IMD-weather of Himachal too i am going through almost on a daily basis which predicts the weather forecast and it predicts sunny weather from 9th onwards .
So i think i will go ahead with the original plan and stick to the schedule for now .
HVK sir could i have your contact number pls in case that would be feasible for you to share in case i need some help .
Regards
sumit
Roads are quite motorable.
My number is 9821045167, but please note that my number has been blocked after an "over-enthusiastic:" motorist who I was helping complained that I was a telemarketer. Anyway, you can try reaching me on this phone.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...complaint.html
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 16:50   #2485
BHPian

Its great to revisit and see this thread continuing even after 4.95 lakhs views.
LongDrive lover is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 18:42   #2486
BHPian

Though I am spellbound by the amount of heart wrenching photographs and the spellbound terrain, a question still bugs my non-existing brain - A trip of 30 days, and I wonder how you get leave for such a long period at a stretch?

More than the tips on how to drive, I would love to know how you managed to get such long day offs?
BeingCynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2013, 20:27   #2487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
Though I am spellbound by the amount of heart wrenching photographs and the spellbound terrain, a question still bugs my non-existing brain - A trip of 30 days, and I wonder how you get leave for such a long period at a stretch?

More than the tips on how to drive, I would love to know how you managed to get such long day offs?
1 week short of 1 month - that was how long the trip took.
I thought it was a trip worth sacrificing your other leaves & taking losses of pay for, isn't it?
After all, you have at least another 24 years of career left, so what is 24 days for such a wonderful driving holiday which we will all remember for a lifetime?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:53   #2488
BHPian

Called up HVK from Tokyo and just had a talk with him on the routes and plans for Lhe. Boy what friendly he is and to top it, his idea and knowledge about the entire Lhe stretch is next to being termed as amazing.

For all those planning to drive through Ladhak and Lhe, you know whom to talk to.

Thanks HVK...

Last edited by BeingCynical : 22nd September 2013 at 17:55.
BeingCynical is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 00:27   #2489
BHPian

hello all ,
well have done what i would like to term the SPITI EXPEDITION . 18 days on the road , close to 5200 kms covered . The Logan has conquered the Baspa Valley , Kinnaur Valley , Pin Valley , Spiti Valley including the Kunzum pass.

From the flood hit waters of Gujarat to the tantrums of rock slides near Powari to the Nullahs of Malling , Chotta Dhara and Chattru the Logan has seen all and done all ; i for one am very happy and proud.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th September 2013 at 07:45.
swsumit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 22:02   #2490
BHPian

Dear HVK sir ,
I was reading today about SACH Pass and wanted to know if it is possible to do this pass in a four wheeler and to be optimistic could i do it in a sedan?
Also in your opinion in the northern sector other than Spiti circuit and Leh circuit what other circuits are worth aspiring to be done ?
Regards
Sumit