Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th September 2015, 20:06   #2506
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Firstly the situation is under control now and secondly they were not really after private vehicles. Yes there were a few attacks but they were due to the general agitation and the usual misunderstanding.

I believe there has never been any attack on tourist who have rented local taxis & bikes which is exactly what we intend to do. This has been the plan prior to the agitation right since early May (when the season had not even started) when we planned and booked our air tickets to Leh and back.

Thanks for the wishes!
Taxi mafia - what taxi mafia?????
I advise so many cars & bikes daily in Ladakh, surprising I never heard of any such "mafia"
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 21:18   #2507
BHPian

HVK sir that was in response to the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...axi-mafia.html

Which made a very grim reading and there was also a calling by people to boycott Leh. You would be the best person to comment on this and really thanks for the answer.
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 15:50   #2508
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I advise so many cars & bikes daily in Ladakh, surprising I never heard of any such "mafia"
Sir, you are the first person I hear say that. Deccan Chronicle interviewed me when they did a story on the same taxi mafia attacking private vehicles or self drive rental cars. The mainstream media in this country is not exactly known for their ethics but there can't be smoke without fire either.

Ladakh holds a special place in my heart, so special in fact that I was going to drive there with my wife and parents this year. A 17-day road trip with the family. Everything was planned, and then the story of car convoys being attacked hit the media. Mind you, not main stream media. It was the social media that first broke this news. And that makes the stories credible.

Whether that was a one off or is a recurring phenomena is irrelevant. The point is simple. I don't want to embark on a holiday without peace of mind. If there is even the remotest of chance that the taxi union does not want me to drive there in my own car, then I am not going. It is not even a case of whether there is danger to life or property. It is about a holiday. On a holiday, I don't want to risk an untoward incident. It mars the entire holiday experience.

So, no. I am not doing Ladakh this year. I am going to a different destination instead. Same number of days. Slightly more expensive. But total peace of mind guaranteed. There are somethings money can't buy.
lucifer1881 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 17:53   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The newspapers carried a report of a 'resolution' passed by the Leh Taxi Union prohibiting outside vehicles (all vehicles) except on the 2 National Highways leading to Leh i.e. the one from Manali and the one from Srinagar. The newspapers also reported a statement by the CEC of Ladakh that outside vehicles would be prohibited.

A group of travellers have filed a Writ Petition bearing no. 1527 of 2015, before the Hon'ble High Court of Jammu & Kashmir against the (proposed) prohibition and a thread is opened on that subject on this forum. The Writ Petition was admitted and notices issued to all the respondents as the Hon'ble High Court took a view that the matter was grave.

There is a group on Facebook called "Boycott Ladakh till 2018", one may also look for it via the hashtags (#) + BoycottLadakh and # + SayNoToLadakh . Several people have written about many instances of outside vehicles being stopped / attacked. Also posted therein is a news report about the Leh Taxi Union attacking taxis from Kargil (also a part of Ladakh). The said group also has posts by and / on behalf of the Taxi Union justifying their decision to prohibit outside vehicles from plying in Ladakh.

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2015 at 11:51. Reason: 1st line isn't required
Ravveendrra is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 19:35   #2510
BHPian

Quote:
There is a Facebook group called HV Kumar Fan Forum which had many discussions on how normal travelers were also attacked. I believe you read it too.

For travelers who wanna take a local cab, we guess, it should be fine.

And before you ridicule the people fighting the injustice that happened in Leh, you should understand that they are not even in it for the money. These are the same people who have travelled there many times for the love of the place.

So there, happy Hig-Waying.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2015 at 07:09. Reason: Removed mentions to political topics
autotranny is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 19:17   #2511
BHPian

IPHE TEAM..what a travelogue it took me around 2 weeks to go through the full log. Its a ritual for me to switch on my laptop and go through the threads on TEAMBHP. But was reading this log so intensely that for the last 2 weeks haven't gone through any other thread. Amazing drive especially through SACH PASS. Kudos to mumbai roadsters.

I believe mumbai roadsters are embarking on a new journey to the himalayas ALL THE BEST for that.

Have become a fan of all you guys.
alfaromeo1984 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2015, 20:01   #2512

Was going through this thread, AGAIN. On page 10 HVK says, "Maybe the reluctance to post further must be because of poor member response. I find apart from the tbhpians who went on the trip, no one seems to be posting in this thread anyway! I am not surprised at the tepid pace!"

Fast-forward 4 years, people are still replying on this longest, most-replied, still-interesting travelogue!!
Ironhood is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 15:42   #2513
BHPian

The two threads "HumbLeh'd II" and "Leh in a Linea" were the most important inspiration and guide for my first drive to Ladakh during May -June 2012 in my i20. I did the entire GQ solo and the mountains (Srinagar - Leh - Nubra - Pangong - Tso Moriri - Manali) with complete strangers whom I met in other forums. The happiness or fulfilment was as if like visiting Kashi for a Hindu and Haj for a Muslim. Prabably because I might have been the first from my district or even in my circle of friends to do this and that too solo.

Now after four long years, planning to replicate Humbleh'd II (with little modifications) in my new ford Endeavour 3.2. But this time two or three of my friends might be joining me. Below is my itinerary.

(September 4th Sunday - October 1st Saturday, 28 days)

Day 1: Madurai – Hyderabad, Oyster Airport Hotel (990 kms - 15 hrs)
Day 2: Hyderabad – Sagar(MP), Hotel Deepali (950 kms - 15 hrs)
Day 3: Sagar – Chandigarh, Best Western Maryland (890 kms - 15 hrs)

Day 4: Chandigarh – Narkanda(HP), Tethy Sky Resort (175 kms-6 hrs)
Day 5: Narkanda – Kalpa, Kinner Villa (175 kms - 7 hrs)
Day 6: Kalpa - Chitkul – Kalpa (150 kms)
Day 7: Kalpa – Kaza, Sakya Abode or Hotel Deyzor (205 kms - 10 hrs)
Day 8: Kaza
Day 9: Kaza – Chandra Taal - Keylong, Chandrabhaga,HTPDC (220 kms - 12 hrs)
Day 10: Keylong – Leh, Hotel Nalanda or Padma Guest House (370 kms - 14 hrs)
Day 11: Leh

Day 12: Leh – Kargil (210 kms, 6 hrs), Highland Mountain Resorts or Hotel Siachen
Day 13: Kargil – (6hrs)Rangdum - (1.30hrs)Pensi La – (4.15hrs)Padum (250 kms)
Day 14: Padum – Kargil (250 Kms - 10 hrs)
Day 15: Kargil – Leh (210 kms, 6 hrs)

Day 16: Leh – Diskit, Hotel Sten Del or Olthang Guest House (120 kms, 6 hrs)
Day 17: Diskit – Spangmik @ Pangong Tso, Pangong Camp Resort, Himalayan Wooden Cottage, Himalayan Retreat (165 kms - 7 hrs)
Day 18: Spangmik - Marsimek La - Spangmik (100 kms - 6 hrs)
Day 19: Spangmik – Chushul - Mahe - Karzok @ Tso Moriri, Tsomoriri Camp & Resorts or Nomadic Life camp (170 kms - 10 hrs)
Day 20: Karzok - Keylong (340 kms - 10 hrs)

Day 21: Keylong – Sach Pass - Chamba, Hotel Ashiana Regency (300 kms - 15 hrs)
Day 22: Chamba– Noida (630 kms - 12 hrs)

Day 23: Noida – Sagar (630 kms - 9 hrs)
Day 24: Sagar – Hyderabad ( 890 kms - 15 hrs)
Day 25: Hyderabad – Madurai (990 kms - 15 hrs)

I have planned it in such a way where I could also enjoy a good comfortable accommodation except in Padum, Zanskar.

Awaiting opinion from Chief and others about this itinerary
Harshavarthan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:20   #2514
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not Turtuk and another day?
Pin valley? Tashiganga? Highest villages? and another day?

Last edited by laluks : 3rd June 2016 at 16:21.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 18:13   #2515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Why not Turtuk and another day?
Pin valley? Tashiganga? Highest villages? and another day?
I have already visited Turtuk and even upto Takshe and yes this time also will drive upto Turtuk. Can plan for another night stay if necessary.

Never though about Pin valley. Thank you laluks for reminding me. I now have to plan for three nights in Kaza.

Day 8: Kaza - Kee Gompa - Hikkim - Komic - Lamza - Kaza
Day 9: Kaza - Mud - Kungri Gompa - Dhankar - Kaza
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote