Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st October 2011, 22:09   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
May be she toppled her gypsy on purpose and was waiting for HVK to rescue her.

I am sure lots of people must be asking her around Pooh " Do you know how to drive?" and may be that's why she keeps asking this to everyone who looks new in that area. May be her own experiences have made her try to convince us to stop our travel at night in Pooh.
Since when are Army Captains allowed to gallivant around the country-side on holidays in their official Gypsies?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 22:44   #257
BHPian

Default re: Humbleh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himacal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Once at the monastry we asked her why was she walking such a long distance and thats when she told us that she had toppled her gypsy on a curve and hence she had left the vehicle and decided to walk the rest of the distance.
Regards
What?? She toppled her Gypsy? This is really a new twist to the story!!

HVK, darling if you dont know how to drive she will show you how to drive and how to topple it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Finally when we left her near her vehicle she certified us for having good driving skills for managing the narrow road in a big vehicle. Also some added points for having driven all the way from Bangalore.
Regards
Coooolcat21, Did you get to see her toppled Gypsy? Do you happened to click any pic of that? Hmmm... so you also got a piece of Captains advise. right?

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 1st October 2011 at 22:47.
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:46   #258
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

- All other vehicles were plying on this road and it was absolutely illogocal to stop only us.
Its Dillogical.

HVK sir, now its your turn to ask her.. Darling!! Do you know how to drive?
A M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:00   #259
BHPian

Its Dil-logical HVK sir !

Here are a few of my pics from the Chitkul to Pooh Drive

This is what I woke upto
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0323.jpg

And the scenes were breathtaking
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0328.jpg

HVK with his scorpio
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0342.jpg

A nice view of Satluj river. Laluks, BM and I walked a long way to get to this view point.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0376.jpg

Nice temples on the way
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0379.jpg

And the pujari almost managed to divert us to the police station.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0381.jpg

Can you spot the cars? (easy !)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0388.jpg

Baby alto climbing
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0418.jpg

Landslide prone areas.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0429.jpg
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:24   #260
BHPian

Few more pics

Powari petrol pump
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0440.jpg

Distances from Powari
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0443.jpg

Independence day celebrations at Recong Peo. None of the big cities have such enthusiasm for independence day. I really wanted to stop and spend more time here. However HVK's destiny to meet Capt. Gowri didn't allow us to spend much time here.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0455.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0457.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0460.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0466.jpg

Town of Recong Peo
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0467.jpg
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:18   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Since when are Army Captains allowed to gallivant around the country-side on holidays in their official Gypsies?

I think government machinery has been misused by majority of officers and politicians around the country one way or the other since a long time now. Army gypsy's are used to pick and drop relatives, school children and small trips ever since I remember.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:54   #262
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Akaush, and thanks for completing the Dillogical Story , so shall we continue from Pooh
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:05   #263
BHPian

Congratulations! This is one terrific road trip. Brilliant photos!

This thread (along with other similar road trips) will give vital information for those who want to do Leh in future, especially tips from hvkumar.

@Laluks, your travelogues had always inspired me. (I wanted to do Gavi this Onam but couldn't make it). Hope to hear more from you.

@ Team Humbleh'd II, awaiting the rest of the story.
Dhar's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:19   #264
BHPian

Quote:
And the pujari almost managed to divert us to the police station.
Attachment 819580
Just curious, this Pujari seemed to be a nice person to me! A year back we stopped our rented car exactly at the same place to take few photos when he offered me drinking water! I thanked him for the water and even had a word or two with him. I even have a picture of mine standing there, with the Pujari at the back. However, I did find out that he was a smoker of pot.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
Attached Thumbnails
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-147.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4640 : 3rd October 2011 at 11:21.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:39   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Just curious, this Pujari seemed to be a nice person to me!
What akaush probably meant was that the pujari suddenly darted across the road almost getting hit - had something happened, "the pujari almost managed to divert us to the police station"!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:01   #266
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics guys

this pujari is actually crazy guy, sorry to be rude, he almost jumped in front of our car to stop us. I had to steer hard to save him
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:48   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
this pujari is actually crazy guy, sorry to be rude, he almost jumped in front of our car to stop us. I had to steer hard to save him
It was most possible that he was under the influence of something. I even saw some clay smoking pots there, close to where this pujari sat. But it should never be an excuse for suddenly coming across any passing vehicles
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
rahul4640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:45   #268
BHPian

Quote:
It was most possible that he was under the influence of something. I even saw some clay smoking pots there, close to where this pujari sat. But it should never be an excuse for suddenly coming across any passing vehicles
Regards,
Rahul Biswas

Rahul,

We were just driving through with about 8-10 meters gap between us and the vehicle ahead of us and the Pujari decided to jump and cross the road. He was smiling on us while we passed through and we smiled back. We didn't stop to see if he was 'under influence' or not. He escaped by a few inches if not less.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:46   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious, this Pujari seemed to be a nice person to me! A year back we stopped our rented car exactly at the same place to take few photos when he offered me drinking water! I thanked him for the water and even had a word or two with him. I even have a picture of mine standing there, with the Pujari at the back. However, I did find out that he was a smoker of pot.
Regards,Rahul Biswas Calcutta
rahul4640, , Me too had a very good experience with this Poojari. We were the first one to start from Chitkul to go to Reckong Peo to pick up TS. So we started one hour ahead of HVK & team.

When we reached the temple. The Poojari was standing infront of the temple with the holy prasad in a platter. We stopped, he blessed us, put a red tilak on our foreheads, gave three of us holy prasad which contain dry fruits and some sweets. We also did an offering to the temple before we proceeded to Peo.

See the pics.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-150820111095.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-150820111096.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-img_6158.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:18   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was good that we left Chitkul this day - the next day, as Lalu mentioned, our friends Glenn and Saji were stuck all day in a landslide that closed down the Chitkul-Sangla road as heavy rains pounded the Baspa Valley.
Ah! So these were who Ramky was referring to when we met near Ranasan on Aug. 19 at around 5:30 pm. Ramky met them some 20 mins earlier to our little mini-meet, as they were on their way to Mumbai from Jaipur.

I don't know/haven't met them but did feel sad for how things turned out for them, having come from so far. Hope there's better luck next time!

Quote:
That was when we had our encounter with the tempestuous Captain Gouri of the Indian Army.......
I've kind of lost track of the dates here but it seems like Capt. Gouri toppled her Gypsy *after* she questioned your driving abilities.

Sorry to say, but divine justice, eh?

Quote:
Here are a few of my pics from the Chitkul to Pooh Drive
Baby alto climbing
Super pics, Akaush! I especially liked the one of Baby Alto climbing. I'm still unable to fathom the layers of mountainsides in that picture. Or is it just an optical illusion in the picture (i.e. it's actually not that confusing in three dimensions)? Wow! It's so easy to lose one's orientation if not 100% focused on the road!

Quote:
It was most possible that he was under the influence of something.
Some of my friends who'd been on some weeks-long trek in Himachal always mentioned how it was just so common there among the sadhus.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote