Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th November 2011, 11:55   #826
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Log Book of the Drive on Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-log-book-d12.jpg
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 12:07   #827
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Not much left in terms of narration after HVK and BolBolero's accounts!!
Here are some pictures that i clicked as i peacefully sat in BolBolero's Bolero

BolBolero - delighted!! HVK Saar conferred the title of "most stylish" on him during the Kargil - Padum circuit (and there was no disputing that!)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-01.png

The mighty Suru River
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-04.png

Lofty Peak in the distance
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-05.png

Man at the Panikhar Check-Post
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-06.png

As we exit Panikhar and stopped for a short while, it was time to click the many beautiful butterflies that called this place home!

First Catch!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-08.png

Similar looking flyer (uncropped)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-10.png

Another species
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-11.png

and Another! (uncropped)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-12.png

Same bloke, different angle (uncropped)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-13.png

Mica deposit?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-09.png

Parkachik Glacier
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-15.jpg

Villager
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-16.png

another glacier? or part of the same formation??
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-17.png

this cleared AR's doubts about Himalayan rivers originating from glaciers!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-18.png

Scenes as we move ahead
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-19.png

HVK talks to laluks, while BolBolero does a sitting dance!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-20.png

Snow Fetish!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-21.png

Black Beauty!! (wild i think)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-22.png

Black Beauty again!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-23.png

At the next stop, we went looking for Marmots (elusive creatures!!)

YP - dwarfed by the mountains.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-24.png

to be continued...
no_enthu_da is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 12:56   #828
BHPian

continued...

spotting marmots isn't tough - but photographing them is!! These little creatures run away into their burrows at the slightest hint of anyone / anything approaching!! Luckily, we managed to get some pictures
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-25.png

Face-Off !!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-26.png

Panorama at Rangdum
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-28.png

Distant Peak seen from Rangdum (also visible in the pan shot above)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-29.png

Moving on from Rangdum, one can see what appears to be Glacial Erosion
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-30.png

and more Marmots!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-31.png

twin peaks on the climb up to Pensi La. Seemed to be the highest peaks i could spot on this circuit. Are these the Nun-Kun twins??
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-32.0.png

the massive Darang Durung glacier - at 22km, longest glacier in J&K (if you exclude disputed territory)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-32.png
higher resolution here.

doctorque, YP, HVK @ Darang Durung
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-33.jpg

Mother & Daughter walking back home
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-35.png

A Lama
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-36.png

For almost every Yak-like animal we saw, people told us those were probably Dzo (Yak-Cow cross-bred). Someone please tell me these are yak!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-37.png
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-38.png

As we moved further, the villages seemed to be full of kids. hardly any adults sighted!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-39.png

kid eagerly waiting to see what AR was trying to fish out from his bag!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-41.png

and delighted at the sight of toffees!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-40.png

finally these brothers posed again!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-42.png

eventually, we reached Padum and after dinner, it was time for laluks and me to go out in the cold night.. this is what i managed to capture. The Milky Way!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-43.png

Then it started getting too cold and simultaneously, my battery died. We had to make a retreat to our rooms and get some rest for what the next day would bring!
no_enthu_da is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 13:58   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing pictures no_enthu_da. I was waiting to see your collection.
Thanks to BolBolero to offer no_enthu_da a seat, we get to see his wonderful clicks.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 14:50   #830
Senior - BHPian

What a ICIng on the Cake no_enthu_da. Superb collection truly. While waiting for the match to finish, here comes the Sixer.
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 17:19   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Amazing pictures no_enthu_da. I was waiting to see your collection. Thanks to BolBolero to offer no_enthu_da a seat, we get to see his wonderful clicks.
lalu sir! .. waiting for your photos!!
They'll be god level I'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
What a ICIng on the Cake no_enthu_da. Superb collection truly. While waiting for the match to finish, here comes the Sixer.
thank you parsh! I'm flattered!
no_enthu_da is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 23:38   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
HVK Scorpio

Aug 22, Leh-Kargil, 343 kms

The explorer bug in me was waiting for this opportunity for a long time - I wanted to drive along the newly-constructed Nimmu-Chilling road which is part of the grand connection that will transform Ladakh region forever, but more on that later.....this road went along the Zanskar River and will ultimately go to Padum in the Zanskar Valley.

The River Zanskar is one of India' wildest rivers, starting from the Darang During Glacier, flowing through the Zanskar Valley and merging with the River Indus at Nimmu, but not before giving us some of the best river water rafting rapids between Chilling & Nimmu. As we took the narrow road along the banks of the River Zanskar towards Chilling, we could see many rafts in the water, but it was exciting to drive on this narrow road overshadowed by steep cliffs on one side and a deep fall to the water on the other. The rocks on the cliffs themselves were "bleeding" red with their mineral content. We could see workers sculpting the new road out of the mountain face. 30 kms from Nimmu is Chilling, which is now the base station for river rafting, but we found the road become dirt and go on, so we went on another 8 kms when the road ended! Further ahead, the road is being blasted for what will ultimately be the shorter route to Padum, 100 kms away. It is always good to know you have come to the end of the "road", particularly a road that will soon transform the entire Ladakh region, a road that is being built through some of the toughest mountain terrains in the Himalayas. One of the contractors' supervisors we met on the road was quite sceptical when we asked him when the road would be completed - 2016, 2017 or something of that sort!
Some videos from my Car Camera, which show you the Nimmu-Chilling road which is under construction.

hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 02:01   #833
BHPian

Finally after a week of chasing, I managed to catch up with the IPHE 2011 team.

No, I didnt catch up with them in Kargil rather, caught up with the posts(been through 56pages took me exactly 5 days) and it was indeed like being a part of this wonderful team. So, technically I can say, after a week's chase, I caught up with the team and now its time to give the F5 button some work. Once again, wonderful naration. All credit goes to excellent planning and execution.
OT: Even it was an emotional moment for me to go through the Kargil war memorial pictures. (Reminds me of my of lost a acquaintance, the first officer to be martyred in the Kargil, Capt. M. Saravanan(acting Major) callsign: Genghis Khan, 1 Bihar Regt. Mariappan Saravanan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Indeed, the warriors of the nation give their today for our tomorrow.
Back to topic:
What happened to the Safari which was on its way to meet up with the IPHE team? No updates from the safari or did I miss it?

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 5th November 2011 at 02:03.
AlphaKilo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 07:54   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
What happened to the Safari which was on its way to meet up with the IPHE team? No updates from the safari or did I miss it?
The Safari from Pune with RB/SC reached Kargil on schedule - Aug 22 - but they decided to cut short their programme (sudden time constraints) and proceeded to Leh, Khardung la, Pangong on their own and exited Ladakh through Manali. We never even met - our paths did not cross because the Safari was on the Kargil-Lamayuru-Khaltse road the same time as we were in the Khaltse-Batalik-Kargil road, and since there was no mobile connectivity we could not even talk to each other, although earlier in the day we discussed his revised drive plan and reworked it. Needless to say, they had a very tough time in 2 sectors - their car apparently got stuck in the More Plains sands and also the slushy Rohtang Pass; nevertheless, they managed to return to Pune intact!!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 09:47   #835
Senior - BHPian

Padum - the key town in Zanskar Valley - is going to be transformed in the coming years into one of the most important places in the Ladakh region, when 2 road projects are completed.

Nimmu-Chilling-Kilma-Padum road, being built along the banks of the River Zanskar from its confluence point with River Indus at Nimmu (on Leh-Kargil highway), will cut the distance between Leh & Padum from 490 kms (via Kargil) to just 180 kms. Moreover, it will be an all-weather road avoiding the shut down of the road for over 6 months a year thanks to the snow blockade in the Rangdum-Pensi la sector. Instead of the 3 days that it takes now, Leh-Padum will now be a 1-day drive. We went till the end of the road beyond Chilling, and I believe the road is also complete for some 40-50 kms on the Padum side. Road will be completed next 2-3 years?

Darcha-Padum road, which will mark a huge revolution, since you can drive to Leh via Padum from darcha (on the Manali-Leh road, after Keylong), avoiding Baralacha la, Sarchu, Lachulung la, Pang, More Plains, Tanglang la & Upshi. And once the tunnel under Rohtang Pass is also complete, we are being promised all-weather road connectivity from Manali to Leh. For all you know, you can drive from Manali to Leh in 1 day instead of the 2 days that it takes now. Will this road also be complete in the next 3-4 years?

I am sure the new roads will open up valleys that have never been seen before except by hard-core trekkers, and also bring the populations in these remote areas connectivity to the rest of the world, instead of being shut off for half the year thanks to winter snows.

And I guess you know where to buy real estate..........

The existing route for Manali-Darcha-Sarchu-Pang-Leh-Nimmu-Kargil-Padum

Name:  padum 1.JPG
Views: 2765
Size:  32.3 KB

The new route for Darcha-Padum-Leh

Name:  darcha.JPG
Views: 1603
Size:  39.1 KB
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 13:25   #836
BHPian

Default HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
HVK Sir was kind enough to empty some place for 3 in the 2nd row of his fast paced Scorpio and we were 4…. GB had only SS and AR with him in his Bolero and was happy to accommodate one.. The uncompromising friends made me sit in the Bolero.. it was going to be a 4 day trip from there on and I was already starting to feel a burden for GB as my friends were in another car all together leaving me alone.. I did not know GB, SS and AR before that at all.. Just to sum it up, it was easily the best company I had during the travel days I spent in GB’s Bolero.. And i made some friends for life.. Special thanks to GB and SS… keep it coming..
@doctorque, Thanks buddy!
I'm sure the first thing that must have crossed your mind on being told to sit in the Bolero, away from the rest of the Mumbai Roadsters, would have been, "What the hell am I doing with these guys! I don't even know them! and to top it all a Bolero!! " "Three days of isolation"
But to tell you the truth, I was surprised just how easily everybody got along with each other! Things just sort of fell into place, not only with doctorque, but with the group as a whole. Sort of like 'All For One and One For All'
Oh and yes these are surely FRIENDS FOR LIFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
Here are some pictures that i clicked as i peacefully sat in BolBolero's Bolero
BolBolero - delighted!! HVK Saar conferred the title of "most stylish" on him during the Kargil - Padum circuit (and there was no disputing that!)
Attachment 836941
@no_enthu_da superb pictures.
If you say HVK Saar has conferred the title, I have no choice but to accept it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
continued...
For almost every Yak-like animal we saw, people told us those were probably Dzo (Yak-Cow cross-bred). Someone please tell me these are yak!!
Attachment 836994
Attachment 836995
DZO and not a Yak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Amazing pictures no_enthu_da. I was waiting to see your collection.
Thanks to BolBolero to offer no_enthu_da a seat, we get to see his wonderful clicks.
@laluks, why the thanks Sir? I would have gladly offered a seat to anyone in the group including you Sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
And I guess you know where to buy real estate..........
Now now Sir, don't give people ideas!! Thankfully out of state people can't buy property in J & K and Himachal Pradesh as of now! (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
BolBolero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 13:29   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 12
23rd August 2011
Kargil - Padhum

As has been the norms, everybody got ready by 06:00AM.

Hotel DZojila
Name:  DSC_6887.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  272.1 KB

The assigned members did the job of loading the luggage, checking the cars, getting breakfast packed, settling the bills etc..

By 06:30AM every body assembled before the hotel
Name:  DSC_6885.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  314.6 KB

Name:  DSC_6891.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  336.7 KB

This guy seems to be amazed at our enthusiastic chats
Name:  DSC_6890.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  261.6 KB

By 07:15AM, we had already crossed the unofficial checkpost by the Taxi union and were zooming off towards Padhum

Name:  DSC_6896.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  328.3 KB

Name:  DSC_6897.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  397.8 KB

Name:  DSC_6898.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  301.6 KB

Name:  DSC_6893.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  212.1 KB

The first time BolBolero and IPHE team drives together in the expedition. The day was sunny and the team quite energetic.

continued..
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 13:52   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 12
23rd August 2011
Kargil - Padhum

My first click of BolBolero in action
Name:  DSC_6899.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  404.1 KB

Roaring Suru
Name:  DSC_6902.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  276.8 KB

Name:  DSC_6903.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  340.0 KB

JeepCaptain checking out Suru
Name:  DSC_6906.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  220.8 KB

Some views enroute
Name:  DSC_6900.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  287.6 KB

Name:  DSC_6907.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  204.0 KB

Name:  DSC_6912.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  273.9 KB

Name:  DSC_6913.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  252.4 KB

The roads started to deteriorate
Name:  DSC_6920.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  367.2 KB

We found some Leh Berries
Name:  DSC_6921.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  323.5 KB

continued...
Old 5th November 2011, 14:07   #839
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 12
23rd August 2011
Kargil - Padhum

We started to see Nun Peak
Name:  DSC_6925.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  212.2 KB

Name:  DSC_6932Edit.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  259.2 KB

Name:  DSC_6935Edit.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  314.3 KB

Name:  DSC_6941.jpg
Views: 1174
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  DSC_6949.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  DSC_6956.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  248.7 KB

Name:  DSC_6959.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  184.2 KB

Cattle grazing on the banks of Suru
Name:  DSC_6950.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  284.3 KB

A modern house
Name:  DSC_6952.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  256.5 KB

continued...
Old 5th November 2011, 14:13   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 12
23rd August 2011
Kargil - Padhum

Fields near Purtikchey
Name:  DSC_6926.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  288.9 KB

Name:  DSC_6955.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  355.3 KB

Name:  DSC_6964.jpg
Views: 1150