Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th November 2011, 20:49   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
I know issues with low GC cars. I own a Honda City and at all speed breakers I keep calculating if it will scratch the belly or not.
akaush - agree with you completely. Though I am avid driver myself with nearly 3 lakh kilometers in my kitty in Indian roads, with a never ending enthusiasm to drive out almost every weekends to beautiful places in India, why did I keep back that driving urge and join HVK on his scorpio? You know me better, and you know the answer
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 20:55   #917
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
akaush - agree with you completely. Though I am avid driver myself with nearly 3 lakh kilometers in my kitty in Indian roads, with a never ending enthusiasm to drive out almost every weekends to beautiful places in India, why did I keep back that driving urge and join HVK on his scorpio? You know me better, and you know the answer
Lalu, Yes I know how much it itches for you to drive your vehicle. Its given in your first Humblehd travelogue. (now you know I really read your travelogues).
I have done some bad stretches in my ANHC. Once we were returning from Tehri to Rishikesh after a whole night of rain and we did drive over 2 mini landslides with a few locals helping us push the vehicle when we got struck.
I am sure I'll be driving a SUV before the next expedition and completing the expedition next time. :-)
May be I can let you drive sometimes, specially if I manage to break my leg again. Ah. But then who will click the pics?

Last edited by akaush : 9th November 2011 at 21:01.
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 00:43   #918
BHPian

Day 12
Jeep Captain's PhotoLogue
Aug 23, Kargil-Padum, 248 kms

Video of the IPHE 2011 team and some beautiful views of Darang Durang Glacier near Rangdum.

JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 09:41   #919
BHPian

Day 12

After a short break and photo session we moved on from Darang Durang to Padum.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum801.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum802.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum803.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum804.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum805.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum806.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum807.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum808.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum809.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum810.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 09:44   #920
BHPian

Day 12

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum811.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum812.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum813.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum814.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum815.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum816.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum817.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum818.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum819.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum820.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 09:47   #921
BHPian

Day 12

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum821.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum822.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum823.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum824.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum825.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum826.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum827.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum828.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum829.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum830.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 09:50   #922
BHPian

Day 12

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum831.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum832.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum833.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum834.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum835.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum836.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum837.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum838.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum839.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum840.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 09:53   #923
BHPian

Day 12

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum841.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum842.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum843.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum844.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum845.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum846.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum847.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum848.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum849.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum850.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 10:04   #924
BHPian

Day 12

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum851.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum852.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum853.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum854.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum856.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum857.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum858.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum859.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-darang-durang-padum860.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 12:25   #925
Senior - BHPian

Excellent progress.

One thing that I noticed is that the roads have considerable improved over 20 yrs in all the sections except Zanskar. Zanskar road still remains unmetteled!!

Why? is that because it does not lead to the border, like maybe the road to Nubra or to Pangong??

Also the pic showing the "BSNL Public Telephone" manned by so and so, reminds me of an incident while I was in Gunji (Tibet border).

I wont say much but It would be wise to use these telephones prudently!!

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 13:56   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Excellent progress.

One thing that I noticed is that the roads have considerable improved over 20 yrs in all the sections except Zanskar. Zanskar road still remains unmetteled!!

Why? is that because it does not lead to the border, like maybe the road to Nubra or to Pangong??

Also the pic showing the "BSNL Public Telephone" manned by so and so, reminds me of an incident while I was in Gunji (Tibet border).

I wont say much but It would be wise to use these telephones prudently!!

Regards
deky, you are right. Roads in Ladakh have improved tremendously in the last 8-10 years and in the popular circuits you can almost say that the "adventure" is gone!

The Kargil-Padum road is maintained by the PWD - unlike most of the other roads in Ladakh which are under BRO control (and well-maintained) - and is not as good. However, take the example of the Kargil-Sankoo section, it was totally broken when I visited it last, now it is a fantastic road all the way till short of Sankoo. We heard from the locals that the roads are being progressively improved and the expect the good roads to extend till Panikkar by next year or so.

The telephone booth - that is definitely a satellite phone, one of many in these parts, where no other telecom network exists.

Just in case anything still has doubts, there is no mobile connectivity for the full stretch between Kargil & Padum.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 14:12   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

The telephone booth - that is definitely a satellite phone, one of many in these parts, where no other telecom network exists.

Just in case anything still has doubts, there is no mobile connectivity for the full stretch between Kargil & Padum.
Yup they are type of sattelite phones, but with a dish antenna (size of a dth dish) attached..so are not mobile. I think they called DSP's (forgot now) They are highly subsidised. Rs2/- or Rs3/- per minute.

However what I meant with being prudent was different, it was more about what you talk and what information you give over those phones. As believe u me, these phones are monitored ( maybe not the one at Zanskar) but the other broder ones

Here is a click of these phones

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc07305e.jpg

Last edited by deky : 10th November 2011 at 14:16.
deky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 15:00   #928
BHPian

Friends, you must seen all the pics now.
While we all Travellers posted the pics how and what we saw and shared our experiences. We had a NLP Trainer among our team who my very good friend and was visiting Himalayas. JP. He travelled with me in Discovery Bolero.

And see how and what he saw the same route we did in his own eyes. Sharing pics from JP's camera for the entire Kargil Padum stretch.

All pics Courtesy JP

Thats JP himself with some Spitian Kids. ( pic is fyi just to introduce JP)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc_0991.jpg

Here is what he saw.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111778.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111785.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111788.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111789.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111790.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111809.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111784.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111794.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111795.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111811.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-230820111774.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 10th November 2011 at 15:02.
Old 10th November 2011, 15:05   #929
BHPian

Kargil to Padum in JP's eyes..

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08466.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08472.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08476.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08478.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08505.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08507.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08508.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08515.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08517.jpg
Old 10th November 2011, 15:10   #930
BHPian

Kargil to Padum in JP's eyes..

BolBolero & HVK

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08527.jpg

Check how Lalu click his mind boggling pics

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08529.jpg

no_ethu_da ( Baby Alto)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08530.jpg

JC with Flip cam

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08531.jpg

KSM_Vtec & KP

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08532.jpg

Baby Alto busy clicking Butterflies with Macro enabled.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08533.jpg

TS in Action

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08534.jpg

TS & the Valley

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08535.jpg

KP & NJ

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08536.jpg

JC now shooting from another angle while no_enthu_da is still clicking butterflies

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08537.jpg

Happy TS

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08538.jpg

Wow.. Let me click the Panikkar Village!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08539.jpg

Lalu in Action

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08540.jpg

A Curious Villager.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08541.jpg

AR

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08546.jpg

AR in Action

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08547.jpg

HVK back in Scorpio - Enjoying the Valley View!

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08548.jpg

A Kasmiri Farmer

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08583.jpg

A Kashmiri Women working in Farm

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08584.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 10th November 2011 at 15:22.