Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th November 2011, 15:27   #931
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Kargil to Padum in JP's eyes.. (Some Personal Moments of IPHE 2011)

Style Bhai & Mera Bhai NJ

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08591.jpg

SS busy clicking

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08593.jpg

Lalu relaxing after a hectic photoshoot session.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08594.jpg

BolBolero

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08596.jpg

HVK & TS Talking about Glaciers and Glaciology

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08597.jpg

AR couldnt stop clicking

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08598.jpg

BolBolero joins in discussion with HVK &SS. Meanwhile NED seems to be to busy

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08599.jpg

JC recording some HD videos.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08600.jpg

HVK & TS Enjoying the Glaciers

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08601.jpg

YP Relaxing

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08603.jpg

While KP is munching his breakfast which was packed from hotel D Zojila

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08604.jpg

A farmer with some grass for the cattle

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08606.jpg

JC & HVK with the farmer

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08608.jpg

Lalu & HVK ( HVK showing him some new angles/frames to click ?

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08620.jpg

Lalu & HVK Enjoying the Glaciers

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08621.jpg

HVK Relaxing (very rare sight)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08624.jpg

Lalu trying some risky shots (clicking while sitting on the edge of the cliff).

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08625.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 10th November 2011 at 15:41.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 16:00   #932
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08627.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08628.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08630.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08633.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08634.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08635.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08636.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08637.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08647.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08648.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08649.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08650.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08651.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08653.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08655.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08656.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08657.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08659.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08660.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08666.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08667.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08668.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08669.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08670.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08672.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08673.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08674.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08675.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08678.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08679.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 16:51   #933
BHPian

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02366.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02367.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02370.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02373.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02544.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02561.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02573.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02576.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02602.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02603.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02604.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08453.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc08464.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 17:28   #934
BHPian

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02424.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02425.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02442.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02443.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02445.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02446.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02447.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02448.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02456.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-dsc02449.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 18:51   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
11,000 ONE WAY, for 250 kms, Sumo or Xylo

You have seen glimpses of the road in our photos and vidoes, no surprises why taxi operators rip you off, such "roads" take a heavy toll on maintenance costs.

Just do it! Don't worry.

That is a risk you have to take. There is no support for Fiat anywhere in Ladakh region.

In Aug-Sep the water crossings are benign and hold no terrors, any car can do it. More than the dept of the water is the unevenness of the boulders under the water - which can hid crevasses (tyres can get stuck) or hit the underbody.

Undoubtedly the best time. Any car. Any sector. Any how.
Akush,
See how the 'die-hard soul' HVK is prescribing a 'mixed-diet' advice for me...
He encourages me the max, but when I raise a doubt he at duly agree...

But JC never takes such risk: Clearly advise to keep a SUV-vala with me, advising short of a Taurus truck, to haul my Linea promptly.

Notwithstanding, I join them with the great 'Drivaholism'. I too am an addict.

My question: Will HVk join me to sit on the front-left seat with me in my Linea as Navigator next September?
Sunney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 19:09   #936
BHPian

With HVK in the front-left seat, I am ready to take my Linea to the end of the universe !

He will find a way out, even if her bottom scrapped clean to a 'Boat-bottom', promptly through the Indus, to end up in Musharraf's land, without Visa !
Old 10th November 2011, 21:01   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
With HVK in the front-left seat, I am ready to take my Linea to the end of the universe !

He will find a way out, even if her bottom scrapped clean to a 'Boat-bottom', promptly through the Indus, to end up in Musharraf's land, without Visa !
Thats a question HVK will have to answer himself.
I guess he might want to avoid taking his Scorpio to Padum next year and might just get into your Linea from Kargil. (There is a good chance after what happened). However how long can he be confined to the left seat is questionable. It would be great fun to have you with us on the next trip.
Enthusiasm is a definite factor if you want to do what others think would be very difficult. I can see you are in love with your Linea.
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 22:04   #938
BHPian

Talking Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
I guess he might want to avoid taking his Scorpio to Padum next year and might just get into your Linea from Kargil.
wonder if HVK would be able to sit 9000 km without driving!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Enthusiasm is a definite factor if you want to do what others think would be very difficult. I can see you are in love with your Linea.
it's encouraging words like these (mostly from HVK, tsk1979; also from nix1976in, ACM and guderian) that made me forget all my doubts and take the Alto all the way
no_enthu_da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 23:33   #939
BHPian

NJ in the last snap:
I cannot resist from commenting.

Is NJ on a fancy-dress rehearsal enacting a "Sharmeeli-Hindustani Bahu" with wearing a "Reshmi Duppatta" a la Sharmila Tagor in which movie?

Take it easy NJ... You look just beauuutiful there than handsome.
Or ask somebody.
Sunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 23:54   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the only way he can be in the from left seat is that you go with him to countries where we have "Left Hand Drive Cars" and one has to drive on the wrong side of the road!!!

Great Pics JC!!!

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 11th November 2011 at 00:12.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 00:11   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oh yes, the Linea it is whichever be the sector in Ladakh - do it in the Linea!

Me in the left side seat - well, I am intolerable in the driver's seat as it is - I shudder to think of the other guy!

No chance you will reach POK if you fall off into the Suru River in the Padum-Kargil sector. Your best chances for that is to do some rash driving in the Khaltse-Batalik or Turtul sectors!!!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 00:12   #942
Senior - BHPian

Oh i just realized that with this post the "HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)" thread has become the most commented upon travelogue EVER on TBHP

And guys i am sure that this will be the most viewed travelogue by the time we finish writing the entire story!!!

But above all..it is our attempt to present the ultimate and most comprehensive thread on the route we took during this Expedition...

Thanks every one from the IPHE & TBHP family for contributing to the thread and a special thanks to Lalu for starting this thread!!

....i dont think we are even halfway as of now

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 11th November 2011 at 00:15.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 08:03   #943
BHPian

Hey Shibu,
Great write up and even great pictures . reminded me of my trip to Leh Last Year.
rahultomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 08:47   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Oh yes, the Linea it is whichever be the sector in Ladakh - do it in the Linea!

Me in the left side seat - well, I am intolerable in the driver's seat as it is - I shudder to think of the other guy!

No chance you will reach POK if you fall off into the Suru River in the Padum-Kargil sector. Your best chances for that is to do some rash driving in the Khaltse-Batalik or Turtul sectors!!!
Let us do something special next season that will attract attention of all India, if not all world, esp. motor sports industry. Some rare feat: say a Leh or Himalayan Rally with all sort of vehicles; Linea, Honda, Ford...all hitherto 'impossible to Leh' kind of city/luxury cars... upto the remotest-possible boarder, may be with cooperation from Army/ BSF.
It will be an event attracting wide attention, mostly sponsored by Vehicle mfrs. since it will be an endurance test of all vehicles ! There will be a 'Support Team' vehicle with essential parts and mechanics in the event of any breakdown of ANY vehicle; contributed by respective veh. mfrs.
That will see the mfrs. bearing costs of any breakdown: if we approach they will agree; to see their vehicle too is fit among others and NOT known 'retired hurt' brand.
When we achieve kind of feats, world must know it. It will be a message to driver fraternity that by DISCIPLINED DRIVING habits, one can achieve impossible feats...etc.

What do all think?
Old 11th November 2011, 08:57   #945
Senior - BHPian

It is definitely a good idea, Sunney. Time to dispel myths that only 4WD SUVs can drive in Ladakh, which is more about driving skills (brain) than car capabilities (brawn). The way things are going, roads to Ladakh are improving so dramatically that the spirit adventure is fast getting dissipated.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote