Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th November 2011, 14:44   #991
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
So after i roughed up Yogen like everytime, we started the journey again. As HVK mentioned that the Bol Bolero team incl. myself as well were lost as we missed a bypass and enterred a village. It was a result of the same bollywood actress beating 2 girls failing to understand what direction we were trying to ask. And i could see most in the car not being too bothered about the direction as they expected to come across even more bollywood beating faces through the villages. We decided to come up with the best possible jokes from our cell phones to kill the extra time we were to pass because of a missed Bypass.
To be continued.
We grew more and more anxious when we did not see you guys. We kept eyeing you behind as we turned the curves, but after some time the BolBolero Bolero disappeared (me galloping and JC in a fierce chase behind!) and KSM-vTEC was trying his best to get you on the radio without any results (you were hopelessly out of range).

Are you sure you asked the Bollywood-beating-girls the right questions?

Last edited by hvkumar : 15th November 2011 at 14:54.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 15:07   #992
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Looking at the photos of the BolBOlero team refilling their diesel tank,

They were well-organised. The 20-ltr diesel can was kept inside the car, they used a tube to suction it out and fill up the tank, no problems with lifting the can. Something which nether of us - me or Jeep Captain - thought of, we were lifting the cans and filling in the fuel with some difficulty and waste of fuel. Definitely one more tip for Ladakh trips:

Carry a extra tube to help you refill fuel tanks!
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 17:52   #993
BHPian

Default HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
So after i roughed up Yogen like everytime, we started the journey again. As HVK mentioned that the Bol Bolero team incl. myself as well were lost as we missed a bypass and enterred a village. It was a result of the same bollywood actress beating 2 girls failing to understand what direction we were trying to ask. And i could see most in the car not being too bothered about the direction as they expected to come across even more bollywood beating faces through the villages. We decided to come up with the best possible jokes from our cell phones to kill the extra time we were to pass because of a missed Bypass.
To be continued.
"Roughed up Yogen" good one doctorque!
We were really on the look out for pretty faces weren't we!!! And thanks for the jokes, it really made the drive much more fun and made us forget our anxiety of not being with the others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
We grew more and more anxious when we did not see you guys. We kept eyeing you behind as we turned the curves, but after some time the BolBolero Bolero disappeared (me galloping and JC in a fierce chase behind!) and KSM-vTEC was trying his best to get you on the radio without any results (you were hopelessly out of range).
Are you sure you asked the Bollywood-beating-girls the right questions?
We were out of range of the radio as well as mobile range! Some of the people were almost on the verge of a mutiny! That is till they encountered the BBG's (Bollywood-beating-girls)!
Well probably we didn't ask them any questions, everyone was intent on just taking their photographs and the ones who weren't, were just GAWKING at them!

Quote:
Looking at the photos of the BolBOlero team refilling their diesel tank,

They were well-organised. The 20-ltr diesel can was kept inside the car, they used a tube to suction it out and fill up the tank, no problems with lifting the can. Something which nether of us - me or Jeep Captain - thought of, we were lifting the cans and filling in the fuel with some difficulty and waste of fuel. Definitely one more tip for Ladakh trips:

Carry a extra tube to help you refill fuel tanks!
HVK Sir, it was a 50 ltr can and filled with nearly 40 lts. of diesel. Lifting it would have been impossible. Only issue with the pipe refuelling, was that someone had to constantly blow into the can so the fuel could flow! What was needed was one of those kerosene pumps (If I remember correctly 4 x 4 Bolero Stinger had one of those contraptions!) to make the refuelling an easy affair! Will remember to carry one of those the next time around!
BolBolero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 18:22   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post

HVK Sir, it was a 50 ltr can and filled with nearly 40 lts. of diesel. Lifting it would have been impossible. Only issue with the pipe refuelling, was that someone had to constantly blow into the can so the fuel could flow! What was needed was one of those kerosene pumps (If I remember correctly 4 x 4 Bolero Stinger had one of those contraptions!) to make the refuelling an easy affair! Will remember to carry one of those the next time around!
Yes, one of the reasons why I carry a plastic 20-ltr can which is easier to lift and pour. I recall you searching for one of those manual pumps (they also use them to pump up engine oil from those big Castrol drums), but such things are so difficult to get in the open market unless you know where to look for it (and even if they are, they are usually the solid heavy industrial types which may be unsuited for occasional long-distance travel)
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 19:04   #995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, one of the reasons why I carry a plastic 20-ltr can which is easier to lift and pour. I recall you searching for one of those manual pumps (they also use them to pump up engine oil from those big Castrol drums), but such things are so difficult to get in the open market unless you know where to look for it (and even if they are, they are usually the solid heavy industrial types which may be unsuited for occasional long-distance travel)
The most common designs are customized for 210 liter barrels. Stubby lengths are also available for 50 and 35 liter containers, however as you said one has to know where to look but since these are one off requirements cost becomes a deterrent. I do have an alternate in mind and will discuss with you when we meet.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 19:21   #996
BHPian

Default HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Actually I had these 20 lt. cans with me.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-1006140002.jpg
Unfortunately they were damaged during my trip to Spiti last year and there was some leakage from the cans. Did not get the right person to repair them before the trip.
So at the last moment picked up a 50 lt. can from my mechanic! And it held very well right through the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The most common designs are customized for 210 liter barrels. Stubby lengths are also available for 50 and 35 liter containers, however as you said one has to know where to look but since these are one off requirements cost becomes a deterrent. I do have an alternate in mind and will discuss with you when we meet.
So Khoj sir, when do we meet do discuss the alternative option! Soon I hope?? BTW, what would be the rough cost of the 50 ltr stubby length thingamajig?
BolBolero is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 19:49   #997
Senior - BHPian

Tips on keeping your car odour-free when you carry fuel cans

1. Always close the inner cap also

2. Put in a bit of plastic/balloon along with each of the inner and outer caps.

(However, I must caution you that in my case, since the inner cap did not close properly because of the plastic bit, the fuel leaked out).

3. Apply vaseline and seal the caps

We carried our fuel cans inside the car itself - BolBolero had 50 ltrs x 1 metal can, I had 20 ltrs x 2 plastic cans.

Ensure that there is no leak, not can can the vapour cause acute discomfort but the fuel can spill out.

The plastic bit you use should not be thick (I made the mistake of using a bit cut out from a milk packet), try to use something thinner (like the small ones used for shopping or even transparent thin plastic packs).
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 20:09   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Tips on keeping your car odour-free when you carry fuel cans

1. Always close the inner cap also

2. Put in a bit of plastic/balloon along with each of the inner and outer caps.

(However, I must caution you that in my case, since the inner cap did not close properly because of the plastic bit, the fuel leaked out).

3. Apply vaseline and seal the caps

We carried our fuel cans inside the car itself - BolBolero had 50 ltrs x 1 metal can, I had 20 ltrs x 2 plastic cans.

Ensure that there is no leak, not can can the vapour cause acute discomfort but the fuel can spill out.

The plastic bit you use should not be thick (I made the mistake of using a bit cut out from a milk packet), try to use something thinner (like the small ones used for shopping or even transparent thin plastic packs).
Small correction Sir, it was 50 ltrs plastic can. Hard plastic can used for Engine/motor oils. It had an inner plastic push cap and an outer screw on cap. No leakages or fumes whatsoever for the full trip!
BolBolero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 20:17   #999
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely delightful road trip you guys had. Leh can be a once in a life time experience for many. But this is a once in a life time experience for even ardent Leh travellers!
Amazing photos, great planning, and a lot of tips that enrich the readers in terms of planning and execution.
Kumar and Co. Hats of to you all.

The Baby Alto has redefined what guts stands for. The biggest bottleneck of driving an alto on those terrains is the first step - that of deciding to drive an alto on those terrains. Once done, there's no looking back. That's exactly what the altoman achieved.

When I sat with you guys in Bandra listening to behind the scenes occurances during the trip from some of you guys, the exact thought that ran through my mind was that what an amazing trip I missed. I could have easily hopped on Bolero's bolero or HVK's Scorpio. I'm sure no matter how many trips I make to Leh, I'd never ever be able to get this kind of an experience. This is a thread where a mere 5 stars is not sufficient. We need 10 stars option. Sadly, the max I could hit on was the 5.

It gives me immense pleasure to put up the 1000th post in this amazing log. HVK and team have redefined the art of travelling. Absolutely gripping log. I wish that by the time this log nears completion, it completes atleast 200,000 hits or may be even 500,000. It is such logs that puts forums like T-bhp on a pedestal, way above any other forum, that reduces travel to eating, sleeping, shopping etc.

Kumar and Co. Way to go!

And I'm sure the guys who made this circuit with HVK would agree on one thing. All this was possible because right from leaving their respective homes to reaching back, HVK had it all planned to the minute detail. Where to eat, where to sleep, where to drive, who to meet, what to do etc. Every minute thing was on the excel sheet months before the whole trip started. This man has taken planning to an all new dimension! Hats off to Kumar and co again.

Last edited by MX6 : 15th November 2011 at 20:21.
MX6 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 20:18   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Checking Tyre Pressure

I am very careful about refilling air in the tyres in my Scorpio. Once I check and refill at my normal petrol pump, I never refill on the highways (tyres are too hot anyway) mainly because highway air pumps are not claibrated properly and invariably they over-inflate.

Once we got into Ladakh, the ambient temperature being too cold, I did not refill.

I had my own pressure gauge which I used occasionally to check if all was well - and it was. And I kept a visual check all the time.

The only time I refilled was when I had a puncture and I had to mend it in Leh - I did not find air pressure having dropped.
hvkumar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 10:41   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Wow these are whole lot of adventures i read from the time i got a little busy......so the Zanskar was quite eventful.

HV you are pretty dramatic in your narration, i could not quite catch up during the first few lines of your recent narration, i guess its the Mumbai effect

Quote:
Checking Tyre Pressure

I am very careful about refilling air in the tyres in my Scorpio. Once I check and refill at my normal petrol pump, I never refill on the highways (tyres are too hot anyway) mainly because highway air pumps are not claibrated properly and invariably they over-inflate.

Once we got into Ladakh, the ambient temperature being too cold, I did not refill.

I had my own pressure gauge which I used occasionally to check if all was well - and it was. And I kept a visual check all the time.

The only time I refilled was when I had a puncture and I had to mend it in Leh - I did not find air pressure having dropped.
Also i think filling normal air is a more viable option and if someone uses Nitro for their city runs should change it to normal air if a long drive is being planned as finding a Nitro filling pump during long drives is like trying to find a needle in a haystack

Last edited by motomaverick : 16th November 2011 at 10:44.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 14:34   #1002
Senior - BHPian

@BolBolero,
Will send you info regarding suitable equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Also i think filling normal air is a more viable option and if someone uses Nitro for their city runs should change it to normal air if a long drive is being planned as finding a Nitro filling pump during long drives is like trying to find a needle in a haystack
There is absolutely no problem in topping up N2 filled tires with compressed air at the highway pump or even with the puncture wallah. Normal air in itself is 70% N2.

Last edited by khoj : 16th November 2011 at 14:38. Reason: replying to an additional post
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 15:18   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
There is absolutely no problem in topping up N2 filled tires with compressed air at the highway pump or even with the puncture wallah. Normal air in itself is 70% N2.
Khoj.
My tires were filled with N2 when I left Bombay. I had to fill up once in my journey and used the air compressor in my car (the one which works on the cig lighter) to fill up. No issues faced.
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 06:24   #1004
BHPian

I agree with Khoj. I have been filling Nitrogen in my tyres whenever I go on a long ride and have never faced any issues with filling air later.
Even at the start of this trip (till Kaza and return), we filled nitrogen in all the tyres and faced no issues what so ever.

I also carry a reliable electronic pump with calibrated meter and a foot pump on long drives to fill in air when needed. This trip Pawan did a fantastic job of keeping the Car, specially the windows clean and checking air pressure every morning. I did help him a couple of times in Rampur and once in Spiti Sarai.

Last edited by akaush : 17th November 2011 at 06:27.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 07:21   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post

And I'm sure the guys who made this circuit with HVK would agree on one thing.
One interesting thing abut the trip is - we had 29 in the team overall, none of them brought their families!
The eldest was 81, youngest 23.
There were 3 of the team who flew in from Dubai & Warsaw.
Of the entire team, only 5 of them had been to Ladakh before, of whom 1 had been there way back in 1976!
2 of the team were cousins, and 2 were school chums from LKG onwards.
We had 3 retired people, and we had only 3 people working in the IT industry!
Maximum number of people were from Bombay (8), Bangalore (3), Dubai (2), Ahmedabd (2), NCR (2), Kozhikode (2), Hyderabad (1), Vizag (1), Dehra Dun (1), Chandigarh (1), Warsaw (1), Madurai (1), Trissur (1), Tiruvalla (1) and Pune (2) who ultimately did not join us.
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote