Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 23rd November 2011, 11:35   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My driving log book is a simple school note book:

MMI - I have one, but I use it to check its mapping data. I never ran it in Ladakh, because I knew its contents anyway (am not saying why!)
Ok got it, now i think i know why you knew its contents But its really good to see such detailed logs, helps if your navigator is willing
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:12   #1052
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

with fond memories of how the most beautiful girls exist not in Mumbai & Delhi, but in small towns (or villages) like Panikhar, we set off for Leh!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-01.png

I couldn't click pictures at Mulbekh as I reached this place a short while behind the rest of the convoy - just in time for breakfast!

Next stop : Lamayuru

More about the Lamayuru Gompa
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-03.jpg

Prayer material at Lamayuru Gompa
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-02.png

Oil Lamps - Lamayuru Gompa
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-04.png

A house on the moon?
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-05.png

additional boarding space was being built for the monks at the Gompa. The roofs of these (and many houses in the region) were built with a thick layer of twigs stacked parallelly and topped off with a layer of clay.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-06.png

Roof - another view
Name:  07.png
Views: 2046
Size:  936.4 KB

worker breaking (carving?) rocks, while a tourist sits relaxed on a rock seat
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-08.png

After lunch at a restaurant near the Gompa, JC and I went to pick up some stuff at the store next door. The shop owner's kid was totally adorable!

JC : "smile please!"
Kid : "NOOOO"

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-09.png

it could have been the sun shining in his face which made the kid not smile. so we went back into the store and tried getting him to smile! Back in the store, JC offered him a toffee so it would make the kid happy and get him to smile!

Kid pondering over JC's offer
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-10.png

After much convincing (and tickling!) he finally smiled
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-11.png

Happy kid with the ever-happy JC
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-12.png

Soon, we moved on and started the descent from Lamayuru. This is where you begin feeling you've landed on the moon!!

to the moon... and back!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-17.png

good fences make good neighbors - but only when you agree on the location of the fencing!!
Name:  13.png
Views: 1777
Size:  941.2 KB

just ahead, there was some blasting work going on.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-18.png

we must have stopped here for over half an hour. which only meant we got to see more colors of the moon!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-14.png
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-20.png

JC and BolBolero got pictures with couple of truck guys who'd stopped behind us.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-15.jpg
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-16.jpg

road cracks - something that i was just beginning to get used to
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-19.png

this was also the place where we bumped into a Bike Magazine crew doing a photoshoot for the Honda CBR 250R. The ones on the bike aren't part of the crew!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-21.jpg

As we move ahead, fresh tarmac on the moon!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-22.png

this place is (for most part) painted Brown and Red - a welcome patch of green! after the S-bend that the road-sign indicates, the road takes more turns - and is visible in this photo! spot the road!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-23.png

Just before Nimmu, amazing stretch of road! according to a BRO roadsign - IT's A HIGHWAY, NOT A RUNWAY!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-25.png

doctorque expressing his love!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-26.png

proof that it's him
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-27.png

Baby Alto and BolBolero parked beside the road
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-24.png

what color is my car? i'm confused!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-28.png

sun starting to set
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-29.png

550!!
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-30.png

Last edited by no_enthu_da : 23rd November 2011 at 19:21.
no_enthu_da is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 19:43   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing clicks no_enthu_da.Am now wishing that you'd just hopped on to a seat and did not drive. We would have got a lot of such wonderful clicks....
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 21:59   #1054
Senior - BHPian

A little commentary on the no_enthu_da photographs - needless to say, like the man driving the "Baby" Alto, his photos also bring in new angles!

Let me add my commentary on 3 of his photos!

The mobiker was one of those interesting encounters during the trip.
This was the First encounter when JC & co met him after Lamayuru - we had already gone on ahead. In the mobiker's team was also a Honda CRV.
Later that evening, we were to meet them the Second time at the M&M workshop where the CRV too had come for some repairs. I believe they took our recommendation on hotel stay too. I saw the CRV guy but did not make contact.
The Third and wierdest encounter was when we ran into them 2 days later in the Hunder Sand Dunes - and they were on the look-out for me. It turned out that not only were they colleagues of a close friend of mine from Pune but also my friend had given them my name and number as contact point in case they wanted some route guidance during their long Pune/Delhi/Ladakh drive! And they were looking for me for some guidance!!

There are 2 roads from Lamayuru down to Khaltse and this is the lower one which has just been made up. This road almost goes through the moonscape country. The other road - closed for major repairs when we went - goes higher up and gives you a different type of overview of the moon scape!

This is where you break speed limits! I am not saying what speeds we drove!!
hvkumar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 23:05   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
with fond memories of how the most beautiful girls exist not in Mumbai & Delhi, but in small towns (or villages) like Panikhar, we set off for Leh!
Amazing clicks NED, specially the straight road, nice saturation to your pics, used CPL?
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 00:26   #1056
BHPian

Talking Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Amazing clicks no_enthu_da.Am now wishing that you'd just hopped on to a seat and did not drive. We would have got a lot of such wonderful clicks....
thank you sir! next time, I'll just click

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
A little commentary on the no_enthu_da photographs - needless to say, like the man driving the "Baby" Alto, his photos also bring in new angles!
thank you sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Amazing clicks NED, specially the straight road, nice saturation to your pics, used CPL?
thanks motomaverick! I didn't use any filters. just clicked in raw and did minor tweaking in photoshop (saturation, levels)
no_enthu_da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 01:37   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Read up to page 10 at a stretch and it took more than three hours from 1030 pm. Early morning assignments is forcing me to shut down. But before that let me congratulate each one of the team for the fantastic trip. Fine pics and the synchronized posting is really marvelous and scintillating. So precise like the planning that went into the expedition.

I was so late to start with the events. Waiting for tomorrow night to catch up.

The driving tips by HVK is praiseworthy.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th November 2011 at 01:40.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 08:43   #1058
BHPian

N.E.D You definitely need to be on the front passenger seat in some car in the next trip. Fantastic photos ! Now i know why was Doc RK giving you his camera to click pics.
akaush is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 10:31   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
N.E.D You definitely need to be on the front passenger seat in some car in the next trip. Fantastic photos !
thank you Ajay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Now i know why was Doc RK giving you his camera to click pics.
I wonder why he didn't realize he was blocking my view of the road by putting his huge DSLR right in front of my face
no_enthu_da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 13:32   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
One small request, can the number and the regimental symbol be masked?

Lovely shot! Awesome look of the 550. We all know why we love the army . They too like us, are automotive freaks and use the best of the machines at the extreme of the conditions. The 550 looks really mean in the olive green. but I guess nothing can challenge the workhorse gypsy in terms of looks. Agreed that Babus do have some taste for vehicles!

Wonderful travelogue, I have managed to keep up with you guys, and I am starting to get a bad feeling that somehow this log is nearing its end.

request to Mods: please keep this log/thread a sticky! I am sure with HVK sir's log book and info from the rest of the crew, it would become easy for the rest of us to go on such trips.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 24th November 2011 at 13:34.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:05   #1061
BHPian

I have been following this thread for a long time now and have to say, this is the "Mother of all Expeditions". What a team to have - Best Drivers, Best photographers, Best navigators, Best planners, Best Team-spirit, well overall, this cannot get any better. Take a bow guys. Loved reading everybit of it, enjoyed every pic & video. Thanks for taking the effort in sharing this in a systematic way.

Cheers
Avi
aviorp is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:45   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
One small request, can the number and the regimental symbol be masked?
will do next time!
Request to Mods : if it's possible, can you please mask these numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Wonderful travelogue, I have managed to keep up with you guys, and I am starting to get a bad feeling that somehow this log is nearing its end.
starting from Delhi, we're into day 12 of the trip.
there's 9 more days before we get back to Delhi!!

the travelogue isn't ending too soon
no_enthu_da is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 17:50   #1063
Senior - BHPian

What is the route plan to reach Leh from Bombay?

We had taken the longest possible route to get to Leh, via Kinnaur & Spiti Valleys of Himachal. To summarise our route (without local sightseeing & detours):

OUR ROUTE

Bombay-Vapi-Surat-Ankleshwar-Bharuch-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Behror-Gurgaon-Delhi-Ambala-Panchkula-Solan-Chail-Kufri-Narkhanda-Rampur-Powari-Pooh-Nako-Sumdo-Tabo-Kaza-Losar-Kunzum la-Chhatru-Gramphoo-Keylong-Jispa-Baralacha la-Sarchu-Lachulung la-Pang-Debring-Tanglang la-Upshi-Leh
exactly 3,000 kms
Fastest possible 5 days

SHORTEST ROUTE:

Bombay-Vapi-Surat-Ankleshwar-Bharuch-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Behror-Gurgaon-Delhi-Ambala-Banur-Ropar-Kiratpur-Bilaspur-Mandi-Kulu-Manali-Rohtang Pass-Gramphoo-Keylong-Jispa-Baralacha la-Sarchu-Lachulung la-Pang-Debring-Tanglang la-Upshi-Leh
2,600 kms, Possible in 4 days

SRINAGAR ROUTE:

Bombay-Vapi-Surat-Ankleshwar-Bharuch-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Himmatnagar-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Behror-Gurgaon-Delhi-Ambala-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Pathankot-Dyala Chak-Udhampur-Patnitop-Jawahar Tunnel-Qazigund-Srinagar-Sonmarg-Zoji la-Dras-Kargil-Mulbek-Lamayuru-Khaltse-Nimmu-Leh
2,850 kms
Fastest possible 4 days

Last edited by hvkumar : 24th November 2011 at 17:51.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 21:18   #1064
BHPian

Leh - Kargil - Leh
two days, two different routes - same end points (but swapped!)

23rd August : Leh - Khaltse - Batalik - Kargil
25th August : Kargil - Mulbekh - Lamayuru - Khaltse - Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-batalikvslamayuru.jpg

The first route takes you along the Indus river, and at certain points - almost kissing the river. The Indus is at around 2900m above sea (at Khaltse) and eventually descends down to 2600m just before the Batalik Army Post. This is also where the road starts climbing up from the bottom of the Indus Valley. With time at hand, you might get to see the "Aryan Villages" of Hanu and Dah.

If you're driving with (or behind) HVK Sir, you'd probably even get within 5 kilometres of the Line of Control!

If you are observant and have been following the posts on the HVK Fan group on facebook, you might recollect - Kumar sir has a village named after him! The Batalik route gives us another celebrity who has a village named after him - LALU!! Look close and you'll see Lalu Village as one climbs up Unnamed La at 4000+ metres above sea.

EDIT : just discovered "Unnamed La" actually has a name : Hamboting La and is at 4024m. Say hello to Hamboting La!
Name:  HambotingLa.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  171.6 KB

Photo Credit : Hamboting La - a new pass we went through this time
Wikimapia : Hamboting La

The second route (our return path) takes us through Mulbekh and the moonscapes at Lamayuru; with the Namika La and Fotu La passes to make the drive a wee bit more interesting!

Last edited by no_enthu_da : 24th November 2011 at 21:23. Reason: added Hamboting La
no_enthu_da is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 21:51   #1065
Distinguished - BHPian

Yippeeee... A village in my name.
Thanks NED.

I guess you are good in finding new villages too. Kumar Village and Lalu Village, we are loving it
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote