Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th November 2011, 17:21   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Servicing vehicles in Ladakh

There is a huge workshop industry in Leh, all the way down the airport road. Many on the main road itself, also many inside too, the accident repair and suspension repair guys obviously ruling the roost! You can get any odd ball job done here, but remember they are all closed on Sunday (I will explain that later). You can also buy tyres of any make here, quite a fast-moving product because of the high wear and also because cars like ours running on soft tears take many cuts, tears and bursts. Many spare parts shops too, I guess you can get pats of many vehicles here. As I had mentioned earlier, repairing tubeless tyre punctures is not a problem.
Almost all workshops are manned by migrant labour, mainly from other parts of Kashmir, Punjab or even Bihar/UP. Many of them are open till winter sets in during end-Oct/Nov after which they return back to their homes. The leaf spring mechanic is from somewhere near Pathankot and he told me that he flies back to the plains because the snow would have closed down all roads to Ladakh - and you can thank the erstwhile Air Deccan (used to fly from Leh to Jammu/Srinagar/Delhi) for this revolution. The tyre mechanic was from Doda region and he also kept his shop long enough till the Zoji la started becoming impassable and he would depart just before it shut down totally.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 19:36   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

ATMs in Leh

There are now ATMs in Leh, all of them in the main market. Apart from SBI, I also saw JK Bank, HDFC and I think, PNB.

I do not know if there are any ATMs in Kargil, but there are no other anywhere else in Ladakh region.

Invariably, the ATMs have long Qs (try drawing early morning, no crowds!) or even run out of cash.

Most establishments (including hotels & workshops) accept only cash. NO credit cards. So carry enough cash with you always.
Old 26th November 2011, 00:00   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Third day and only at page 22. Reading and seeing pictures is making me even slower than your nallah crossings. Man this is getting more and more exhilarating. I have to catch up with 72 that is 50 more pages as on today to be on real time.
Fantastic stuff and getting more exciting than action packed movies.
Thumps up to all you guys.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 11:02   #1084
BHPian

NED, you have captured some amazing pictures. I am not someone who would know everything related to photography, but i thoroughly enjoyed seeing the pictures. Given a chance i would like to collect all the pictures that each one of has from the trip not missing even one. The co driver seat sure belongs to you. And special thanks for confirming that it was me kissing the tarmac.
@ HVK - Sir, there is another place called KUNOL towards the right travelling from Himmatnagar to Udaipur.

Last edited by doctorque : 26th November 2011 at 11:04.
doctorque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 17:41   #1085
BHPian

Talking about Himmatnagar and Udaipur, I'd say that I now know how many toll booths between here and Udaipur. Just took off for a week to drive to Udaipur and places near by. The mission was to take a short test run and check if I could get humbled at Ladakh. Seems a terribly daunting task. My bones haven't yet stopped screaming at me and its a good sixty hours since back home. Kudos to all you guys, especially to the very senior citizens who braved it out with you guys till far.
gostel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 21:37   #1086
Senior - BHPian

I am at page 37 now. Saturday night fever has stuck me. I would read at least 10 pages more. I am also surprised like BolBolero on JC's lone expedition to Kochi and back to Srinagar in three days is great stuff as BolBolero has put up JC has made of.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 23:57   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
Kudos to all you guys, especially to the very senior citizens who braved it out with you guys till far.
The 4 senior citizens? Particularly SS, they shamed the younger guys with their vigour and enthusiasm!
Old 27th November 2011, 08:55   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
One tip that must have come through from the above photos and videos is the importance of having good tow hooks in your car - both front and back - (something which we may neglect inspecting when we set off on such drives) and also towing accessories like tow rope, D-shackles and so on. We had both nylon as well as steel wire rope tow ropes with us.
Yes true. The swift standard tool kit contains this toe hook. The problem is local car garages sometime takes out wheel spanners from the car and later forget to put all back resulting in such items getting missed. While taking the car after service one has to check every thing at the garage itself irrespective of one is proceeding on a long journey or not.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 16:15   #1089
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Jeep Captain's Photologue

After a tankup we started from Kargil
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_001.jpg

Roads are getting better and better on NH1 D thanks to BRO.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_006.jpg

We stopped at Mulbek for a Tea and also to visit the Budha Statue.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh012.jpg

Saw this kids, brother and sister rolling the prayer wheel before going to school.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh002.jpg

I asked for a pic and brother was happy to pose not the lil sister.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh006.jpg

I decided to click a pic with them.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh007.jpg

The Gompa in Mulbek, you can see the huge stone statue behind.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh009.jpg
Close up of the Statue. ( Is this Buddha or Siva? *I dont know..I still hear different stories)
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh010.jpg

Local Villagers in Mulbek
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh013.jpg

Soon after Mulbek we got caught in a long 30 minutes Army convoy

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh016.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 27th November 2011 at 16:23.
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 16:33   #1090
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Jeep Captain's Photologue continues..

The convoy was a very long one with more that 60-70 Trucks.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_018.jpg

Another convoy approaching & Bolbolero ahead of us.
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_019.jpg

This is a parked Convoy
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_024.jpg

Leh is too far
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh019.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh020.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh021.jpg

Bolbolero is now trailing behind us
HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh023.jpg

BolBolero catching up fast

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh024.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh031.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh032.jpg

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 27th November 2011 at 16:43.
Old 27th November 2011, 16:50   #1091
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh035.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh036.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh038.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh039.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh042.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh043.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh045.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh047.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh050.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh051.jpg
Old 27th November 2011, 16:57   #1092
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh052.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh057.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh058.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh059.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh060.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh063.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh066.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh072.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh076.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh079.jpg
Old 27th November 2011, 17:07   #1093
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh080.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh083.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh085.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh086.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh088.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh090.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh092.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh093.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh095.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh096.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 17:12   #1094
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh097.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh098.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh100.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh101.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh102.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh103.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh104.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_048.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_049.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh106.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 19:37   #1095
BHPian

Nice pics from JC. Especially the ones of the convoy. I always used to wonder how much patience do these army drivers have to maintain a constant speed of 40Kmph all the time and the spotter sitting beside the driver do has a lot of duties. I remember reading one set of instruction for the spotter/co driver listed at the exit gate, when I was inside a army camp.

Once again a reminder, please before posting the pics of army vehicles, block/mask the unit symbol, regn.no is ok but mask the regimental symbols. I guess the Ex-Faujis and people in service will be able to explain better.

Those tatas are looking mean and as usual the stallion is indeed looking huge! I have always thought/felt the design/looks of stallion is based/inspired from the iveco cargo(AL-Iveco).
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote