Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th November 2011, 21:18   #1096
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

TAG numbers are not easily decipherable by all and believe me the people to whom tsuch information counts a lot already know more about the truck and the people in them than we dare to think. Anyway but yes it would be proper if the insignias and the 3-4 digit numbers on the front right bumper is blackened but nothing serious even if you dont. Nice pictures and its almost like you are traveling with the boys out there.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 23:23   #1097
BHPian

Default Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Jeep Captain's Photologue continues..

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_050.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_053.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_058.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_059.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_060.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_061.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_062.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_064.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_065.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_066.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 23:36   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

Took a long long time to catch up with so many posts, been reading on and off, but decided to finish it off.

Great photos, lovely snippets of narration, what can one say... blown away!!! The thread is only warming up.

Reminded me all of my drive up there last year; any number off time you see the photos, anywhere, it never grows old on you. Bring them on..

About the army convoy, we also got caught for about 20 minutes. Is it a rule to stop when the convoy goes on; from Kargil to Leh, when I tried to slow down for giving side for a small convoy of 20 trucks, the first 3 over took me and they down and gestured for us to overtake and go ahead, that was strange. Probably they were stopping?

--Ramky
=====
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 23:42   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
About the army convoy, we also got caught for about 20 minutes. Is it a rule to stop when the convoy goes on; from Kargil to Leh, when I tried to slow down for giving side for a small convoy of 20 trucks, the first 3 over took me and they down and gestured for us to overtake and go ahead, that was strange. Probably they were stopping?

--Ramky
=====
I don't know what the protocol is, but this is what I do:

1. If the convoy is coming towards you, pull over, stop and wait for the last truck to pass you (you have the pilot with re and green flags at beginning and end of large convoys, usually 30-50 trucks long). I think you are not expected to continue while they are coming at you because most of Leh's roads are narrow. However, in broader roads, it if fine to go on.

2. You give way to the army convoys in curvy sections, unless he gestures you to come.

3. If following a convoy, you are expected to overtake them one by one provided you flash your headlights, honk and ensure that you are not executing a rash overtaking manouevre, such as round a blind curve, etc
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 23:53   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)

I noticed the taxis and local regn. vehicles stopping for the Army turcks, so I followed suit in most places. In war times it must be a rule, I think in normal times it gets extended.

The problem is that they slow yo down a lot, we overtook anther convoy somewhere around Kardung Village I think, the roads were broader, there also the driver gestured with his hands to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

1. If the convoy is coming towards you, pull over, stop and wait for the last truck to pass you (you have the pilot with re and green flags at beginning and end of large convoys, usually 30-50 trucks long). I think you are not expected to continue while they are coming at you because most of Leh's roads are narrow. However, in broader roads, it if fine to go on.

2. You give way to the army convoys in curvy sections, unless he gestures you to come.

3. If following a convoy, you are expected to overtake them one by one provided you flash your headlights, honk and ensure that you are not executing a rash overtaking manouevre, such as round a blind curve, etc
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 04:14   #1101
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

Jeep Captain's Photologue continues.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh107.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh109.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh112.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh113.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh115.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh117.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh118.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh120.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh125.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh129.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 04:19   #1102
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh130.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh132.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh133.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh134.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh135.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh136.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh138.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh144.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh145.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh146.jpg
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 09:25   #1103
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

By noon we reached Lamayaru Gompa.

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh147.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh148.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh150.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh151.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh153.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh155.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh157.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh159.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh163.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh164.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 09:32   #1104
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh165.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh166.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh167.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh170.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh171.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh172.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh183.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh184.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh188.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh200.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 09:38   #1105
BHPian

Day 14
25th August 2011
Kargil to Leh

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_088.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_086.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_081.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_089.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_094.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_099.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_107.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_109.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_078.jpg

HumbLeh'd II (Indo Polish Himalayan Expedition to Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh)-kargilleh_nbn_076.jpg
Old 28th November 2011, 11:53   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shibu, awesome chronological pics, wonder who has done the sorting part
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:35   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Wow Shibu, awesome chronological pics, wonder who has done the sorting part
motomaverick, Thanks a lot bro.
Well Sorting was the biggest challenge for me. It took me almost a month to sort out all the pics 12000 pic. It was partly due to my mistake. I should have sorted and saved the pics on a daily basis which I didn't do.
So ended up spending almost a month and unlimited hours to sort them in order.
Just fyi - Our Discovery Bolero team with 4 cameras took more than 60 GB of pics and 20 GB of Videos. Out of that my contrinution was 12,000 pics ( 20GB) and 20 GB of HD Video's

Last edited by JeepCaptain : 28th November 2011 at 12:37.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:39   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Shibu Chetta,

Awesome snaps!! What Camera are you using? I know sorting is the biggest pain. I have about 20 GB of photos from my recent Vietnam trip, deciding which to optimize and load is the challenge, before trip, I make different folders date wise and at the end of the day transfer the photos form the SD card, becomes easy later on.

Waiting for your next upload, they are alive, clear and well captured.

--Ramky
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:03   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

As per the protocol, especially in field areas (fwd areas) you are not supposed to be breaking the convoy. Breaking here means coming in the middle. It can be considered as an act of aggression. In the books it doesnt matter if the convoy is small or big.

You must have noticed that army vehicles, even the smaller ones usually do not go above 35-40kmph in Ladakh region. I know of an incident when a civil vehicle was pushed off the road by the rear gaurd when he tried to overtake a slow moving convoy carrying a top general around Leh.

But then this is in the books. In reality I would suggest the following

1. For small vehicle convoy, try your best not to overtake even if they are in single file as against a diamond file. Most probably they are going only small distances.

2. For heavy vehicle convoy, most important is the rear guard i.e a smaller vehicle. There might be 3-4 such smaller vehicles spread in between the convoy depending on its size. Do not show aggression (excessive honking or headlights) while overtaking it, they usually are co-operative and will let you pass.

Regards
deky is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:26   #1110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
As per the protocol, especially in field areas (fwd areas) you are not supposed to be breaking the convoy. Breaking here means coming in the middle. It can be considered as an act of aggression. In the books it doesnt matter if the convoy is small or big.

You must have noticed that army vehicles, even the smaller ones usually do not go above 35-40kmph in Ladakh region. I know of an incident when a civil vehicle was pushed off the road by the rear gaurd when he tried to overtake a slow moving convoy carrying a top general around Leh.

But then this is in the books. In reality I would suggest the following

1. For small vehicle convoy, try your best not to overtake even if they are in single file as against a diamond file. Most probably they are going only small distances.

2. For heavy vehicle convoy, most important is the rear guard i.e a smaller vehicle. There might be 3-4 such smaller vehicles spread in between the convoy depending on its size. Do not show aggression (excessive honking or headlights) while overtaking it, they usually are co-operative and will let you pass.

Regards
Thanks for the clarification, deky.

I also wait for the truck ahead to give me a go-ahead before I overtake him, never honk or flash headlights. They have always allowed overtaking, but only when there is clear space for both vehicles to pass safely.

Some get quite excited when they see a vehicle from, say, their home state, and we were stopped and wished

Some of our team was very patriotic, they even saluted every military truck as it went by.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote