Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th July 2012, 14:54   #301
BHPian

Default Re: Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days

I feel like I've visited Austria and Switzerland personally, reading your travelogue was so real for me. You have a way with words and truly, you can hold viewers spellbound for long hours, just as guiltily I've been enraptured, in the middle of my work days, by these pages you've put up.

Can't wait for more.
amitkb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 21:45   #302
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 11 #5: Neuhausen am Rheinfall

We parked in the main parking lot, which surprisingly was free!. It was pretty crowded. We decided, however, to walk through the town, and get to the other side of the river. A long walk spanning 2-3 kms, but there were two reasons for us doing it.

We would be driving through Germany, but not staying there. This town will be the closest to a typical German town we would get.
Second reason was groceries.
We had 2 nights in Salzburg, and since that city is very expensive, 105EU had gotten us a room without breakfast. 52.5 EU a night is okay with breakfast, but not without.
We were running out of MTR, so we have to get something which can be eaten.

We found a big tin of beans(white beans in red sause, to be specific) at a supermarket called donners for 2.5.

We also bought bread, and some cheese to have a nice lunch.

After that we made our walk back. The town was a typical town, though less lovely than the Austrian towns, or swiss villages. As we walked, we got our first sights of the mighty falls, and I got out the camera

Name:  DSC2468LRL.jpg
Views: 1437
Size:  192.3 KB
The falls are not high. Infact, you may look at them, and think of as a turbulent river, not really a fall.

But what they lack in height, they make up in their fury and width.

It gets more and more apparent, as you get closer

You pay some 13Fr for 2 people to get a boat to the rock you see. That will give you a perspective of the size of the mighty falls.
We bought our tickets and waited.
Name:  DSC2473LRL.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  176.9 KB

There was quite a bit of rush, but everything is orderly. We wait for our turn, till we hear some loud cackling in a mix of many western Indian languages, and some hindi.

An Indian package tour. Some 20 people. Big small, newly married, or tied of their marriages... The group had it all.

When the Eurpoeans were running naked after bears and wolves, Indians were learning mathematics. Mathematics is said to be the science of order. However, many forget, that chaos theory also finds it roots in mathematics. As does the theory of random motion, probability and concept of Zero.

So mathematics came with the group.

The order we had got multiplied by zero, the probability of somebody falling into the river instead of getting on the boat was doubled, and chaos theory reighed supreme.

We decided to get back, not get on that boat. Glad we were.

The wait was not very long, and 15 minutes later we were on our boat
Name:  DSC2477LRL.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  219.1 KB

But guess what. 16:30 said the watch. We still had 4 hours of daylight left, and we had the Fatherland to cross. Neverthless, Salzburg will not go anywhere else tonight, so we enjoyed the mighty falls.

Another pic, with the rainbow. Sun was behind us, and then sun makes rainbows.

As the boat got closer, I just wondered, how do they steer in this raging torrent
Name:  DSC2485LRL.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  166.8 KB

The captain of our tiny ship had no such doubts, and he took us closer to the platform.
Name:  DSC2486LRL.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  177.9 KB

Chaos theory was waiting, but as we got off, it passed us harmlessly by, to get back to the shore.

Package tours have a tight schedule, and these fellows had some 20 minutes only at one place.

We got on the high rock, and enjoyed the spectacle
Name:  DSC2490LRL.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  162.3 KB

Rhine has a lot of water, and it passes through countless Industrial towns, yet it remains clean
Name:  DSC2491LRL.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  186.1 KB

The fury, up and close
Name:  DSC2504LRL.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  99.8 KB

We come down, and decide to take a boat, but not back to where we came from, but to the other side of the river. See, our car was parked there, and we had not intention of going on the long walk again.
Name:  DSC2514LRL.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  129.8 KB

Behind us was the rainbow... and the falls
Name:  DSC2516LRL.jpg
Views: 1345
Size:  175.8 KB

At this edge there was another higher view point
Name:  DSC2519LRL.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  151.2 KB

One last goodbye to the magnificent falls
Name:  DSC2526LRL.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  192.1 KB

We walk to the parking through the 'castle'
Name:  DSC2527LRL.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  161.5 KB

Name:  DSC2528LRL.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  157.2 KB

Its almost 5:30.
The road is long, we drive through switzerland, then enter Austria, only to enter Germany and then onto Austria again.

Its time to hit the road!
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 22:12   #303
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 11 #6: My way... The highway

We are on the road. On the freeway. Fuel is low, but I am not going for a tankful. Fuel is cheaper in germany, and we decide to fill just 10Fr worth of diesel.

The going is fast. As fast as you can go in Switzerland. And thats 120kmph at best, and 0kmph at worst.

However, the sun is going down, and salzburg is far away. But our deed in the land of the alps is done. It does not matter when we reach Salzburg, as long as its before 8am tomorrow, the deadline for car return!

A view of the swiss freeway
Name:  DSC2529LRL.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  96.7 KB

Many sections like these had us slowing down to 100kmph
Name:  DSC2530LRL.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  100.8 KB

The tunnels had us at 80, and don't you dare speed a wee bit more, lest you be shot down.. by camera that is
Name:  DSC2533LRL.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  58.5 KB

As the sun was going down, traffic was thinning, or so I thought.
Name:  DSC2534LRL.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  71.6 KB

And then at 630 in the evening we enter the Rebulic of Austria. No the signboard is not saying that its the republic of ostrichies. Its just the name in german.
Name:  DSC2535LRL.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  94.0 KB
Our stint in Austria was short, for we had to cross into Germany. And border crossings often mean traffic jams. Its not the checkposts for cars, but for trucks, kind of our octroi checks. The trucks have to stop, and so everybody else has to stop.
Name:  DSC2536LRL.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  91.5 KB

And guess what, here also some road repair was going on, which meant even slower traffic.
It is said, that in the lands of Italy, newly married couples tie lace on the antenna.
We also saw such a car, however, there was no bride. Maybe the man married his car?
Name:  DSC2537LRL.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  91.5 KB

As we clear the traffic jam, we enter Germany, underground.
Name:  DSC2538LRL.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  42.6 KB

Its easy to tell when you Enter Germany.
Look at the speed limit. If everybody goes 20+, its Germany.
And so we were cruising at the speed limit, with traffic passing by wantonly
Name:  DSC2538LRL.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  42.6 KB

However, I was not interested in tunnels.
I was interested in the speed limit signs

It said 100, I drove at 100, as traffic fled by at 120.
Then it said 120.. and everybody zoomed by at 140.

And then it said 'cross' on a white circle.
All limits 'ende'

Really ende.

We wre on the Autobahn... and it was time to flog the donkey..
tsk1979 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 13:07   #304
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days

Tanveer,

Awesome is an understatement for this travelogue.

Do you know how inspiring your travelogue is ? Most of the snaps you took are picture perfect.

Driving on a Autobahn has always been my dream and I wish to accomplish it in the next year or so. It is the pinnacle of the German driving experience, perhaps the ultimate in driving altogether.

Now, Please don't stop here, update this thread.

Cheers !
hurricanes is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 16:55   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post

Now, Please don't stop here, update this thread.

Cheers !
Okay! Will do. I thought nobody was reading, thats why did not update much. But will try to be more regular in the future
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 12:10   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... I thought nobody was reading, thats why did not update much. But will try to be more regular in the future
For once I didn't jump the gun in your log and look what misconceptions you have!

Jokes apart, I guess there must be folks like me who await updates on this log. So carry on loggin'!
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2012, 12:14   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought nobody was reading, thats why did not update much.
On the contrary, your topic is an inspiration for me and I hope for many others to enjoy a similar trip with full bang for our buck. I, in fact, am planning the same and would take pointers from you when I have fully made up my mind.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 14:01   #308
BHPian

Where are the updates? The waiting is a huge torture now! You surely have done some good deeds in your past life to be able to enjoy in this way. I pity those who go in package tours. One pays his hard earned money to them and then gets lead by the guide like animals on a leash with the tightest schedule possible. I think you have gathered enough knowledge to start a tourist company of your own or be a consultant to one of them.
PranavDesai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 17:39   #309
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 11 #7: The Autobahn... to Salzburg

Empty road, and no limits.
Pedal to the metal, and puny 90 horses.

Slowly and steadily the speedo climbed

I kept in the right lane to allow fast traffic to pass by.

Yes, I was quite slow on this road.

A couple of SUVs went roaring by, and the wind shook our car like crazy. My knuckles were white with the concentration.

Then a ferrari roared by, doing probably 200+. Followed by a black M3, on its tail, barely half a car length behind.

I had had enough. This little thing was not designed for 160. I slowed down to a sedate 145.
Name:  DSC2539LRL.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  73.3 KB

All kinds of vehicles overtook, including something the size of a Tata 407. And then I glanced at the fuel guage. We were low on fuel. High speed running really drains the tank fast.

We decided to leave the Autobahn, and go to a fuel station in a little town some 2kms away. So we can get a glimpse of the german countryside too!
The sun was setting, and this is the only pic I took
Name:  DSC2540LRL.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  90.3 KB

After a tank full it was time for the expressway run again
This time, I had more courage
Name:  DSC2543LRL.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  75.6 KB

We got heavy traffic near Munich, but soon cleared. It was almost 10pm we reached salzburg.
Thankfully, it was before midnight, because at midnight, sygic was going to expire!

Dinner was simple MTR. Our road trip had ended. Tomorrow, we return the car, and see salzburg just like we had seen vienna, on foot and public transport!

We had done over 700kms, and had spent close to 16 hours on the road.

Here are a few statistics
Our distance vs Altitude profile. In the beginning we climbed susten pass so its pretty high
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-autobahn_distance_altitude.jpg

The speed profile. Though speedo said 166, we did a max of around 158(true gps speed). I have normalized the profile so noisy readings like(200-500kmph) get removed
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-autobahn_distance_speed.jpg

Our route map. We go up north to Rhinefalls, then go south, and then then go East, towards Salzburg.
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-stechelbergsalzburg.jpg
Old 28th August 2012, 19:54   #310
BHPian

Finally the update we have all been waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
I pity those who go in package tours. One pays his hard earned money to them and then gets lead by the guide like animals on a leash with the tightest schedule possible. .
Not all are bad but the main problem I see with Package tours is Inflexibility. They require us to be be very punctual with their schedule, sometimes, very strict routine and give us no opportunity to explore some interesting places to satisfy our need.
hurricanes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 21:49   #311
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 12 #1: SalzBurg

It was raining when we we awoke. Nothing serious. Just a drizzle. Bad weather had followed us here.
But i really dint care. All I wanted to do is get to the Airport and return the car, before we are overcharged.

But first, we tank up.
This tank up will tell us how did we fare.
3250kms and 174.22 Lts

A mileage more than 18.5, and most of the driving had been at crazy autobahn speeds, or climbing alpen passes.

The ninty donkies were surely diet concious. And guess what, the + point of this was that our fuel expense was lower than anticipated.

We return the car, buy a day pass of local transport from the Airport, and head back to the hotel.

The city can wait, but first we must eat. All hotels with breakfast had been out of budget for us here, so we would have to do on our own.

The previous day we had gotten a big fat can of canned beans.
So I went to the kitchen to get a can opener.

There is a big huge thing standing there, She stares me down. We DO NOT HAVE CAN OPENERS, WE SERVE ONLY FRESH FOOD.

For a moment I think I have been transported to arabia, and a djinn is speaking to me, I CAN'T GRANT YOUR WISH. NOW I WILL PROCEED TO EAT YOU.

I can see atleast 20 differenet cans on the shelf. But she is speaking the truth. All she needs to do is stare at the cans, and the cans will burst open. Why bother with a can opener.

But the beans in my hand have no intention of obliging Satan, so I am back to the room, looking for options.

We rummage through our "tool kit". I had a screwdriver 2 weeks back, about 3 inches long, but the drone at IGI security decided I can hijack a plane with that, and I was relieved of that.

However, we did have scissors in the luggage. They were pointy, and me and my wife took turns at stabbing the can.
All we got was sore hands. This would not work.

We needed a hammer. As they say, when all you have is a hammer, every problem loks like a nail. We did not have a hammer, and we did not have any nail. But the hotel had nice landscaping.

Landscaping often involves using round big stones under some fountain.

So few minutes later, playing Rock-Can-Scissors, our can is open, and we have our brakfast of cold tangy beans with cold white bread. Made in Germany, purchased in Switzerland, and eaten in Austria.

We were Globetrotters, and ready to conquer Salzburg.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 13:42   #312
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 12 #2: The City of Mozart

If you were to ask what is Salzburg, you would need just one word. Mozart. Yes, its the city of Mozart. Mozart is everywhere. On the roads, on the buses, on the walls, in the homes, in the museums, in the operas. People here drink Mozart, and eat Mozart. Some even fart musically, but I did not have the pleasure of confirming that.

For such a musical city, you would expect a lot of softness and warmth in its denizens. But the reality is very different. While the locals are kind and helpful just like their Austrian comrades, the hotel staff and waiters are the exact opposite. Various guidebooks had warned us of this. But I just shrugged it off, what do those silly Americans know, bah.

But today morning had confirmed this. But thankfully, those who carry their own food, fairly venture beyond McDonald, so we did not have much of that.

That said, we were tired. Yes, we had Hungary to cover yet, and do a lot more things, but roaming around on the streets of Salzburg made us tired.

And maybe we were bored. It was all the same. Vienna, Innsbruck, and now Salzburg. Maybe we should have spent one more day in Switzerland, and seen the great monastery of saint Bernard, or followed the old wagon route over Simplon... maybe seen the meadows of Chur....

No, we would see Salzburg for now... and here it is for you, the city of Mozart. Every attraction, except for the Churches and castles, have a Mozart angle.

And I am not fan of Mozart. He does not sound much like Iron maiden you see.

So we decided to shoot a cathedral
Name:  DSC2547LRL.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  171.4 KB

And some statues
Name:  DSC2548LRL.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  DSC2549LRL.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  DSC2550LRL.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  102.6 KB

And a horse cart too
Name:  DSC2552LRL.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  159.8 KB

In a church

Name:  DSC2554LRL.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  DSC2556LRL.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  209.0 KB

After that it was time to head towards the main Salzburg cathedral. Built a thousand years ago, maybe even more, and then built again 50 years ago, after it got bombed to nothingness.
They may as well name it the phoenix cathedral... but somehow I think it won't rhyme with Mozart.

Nevertheless, the grandest thing in Salzburg
Name:  DSC2557LRL.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  135.6 KB

Name:  DSC2558LRL.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  DSC2559LRL.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  71.7 KB

Right outside stands a man on a ball. I think he is Mozart?
Name:  DSC2560LRL.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  105.3 KB

The walls

Name:  DSC2561LRL.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  134.9 KB

The courtyard
Name:  DSC2563LRL.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  127.4 KB

The central city area which houses the cathedral, is a series of interconnected buildings, housing amongst other things, a cemetery. When you climb up you reach the castle of Salzburg.

But before climbing, its look down time
We go into the bombed cathedral, which has risen from its ashes, and is truly magnificent!
Name:  DSC2564LRL.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  DSC2567LRL.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  261.9 KB

Name:  DSC2568LRL.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  204.3 KB

Name:  DSC2569LRL.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  207.4 KB

I found this picture haunting. Maybe its the sculpture, or the lighting.. I don't know
Name:  DSC2570LRL.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  208.2 KB

A rare moment when the corridor was devoid of human presence
Name:  DSC2574LRL.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  73.3 KB

The main organ
Name:  DSC2578LRL.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  171.3 KB

I have no idea what this is for?
Name:  DSC2579LRL.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  152.3 KB

After a quick tour we come out.
Name:  DSC2580LRL.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  69.1 KB

We had been thinking that one day would be too less for Salzburg, but just like Innsbruck, it was going to be too much. Anyways, we continue on foot. Our aim to just walk through the town. Its castles, its woods, and its graves too
Name:  DSC2581LRL.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  139.2 KB

The horse fountain
Name:  DSC2582LRL.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  DSC2584LRL.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  168.2 KB

Name:  DSC2589LRL.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  100.6 KB

The city gates...
Name:  DSC2595LRL.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  156.3 KB
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 13:47   #313
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 12 #2: The City of Mozart cont...

As we walk we get to the entrance of the cemetery
Name:  DSC2600LRL.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  75.4 KB

First there is the church
Name:  DSC2603LRL.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  188.9 KB

Name:  DSC2604LRL.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  DSC2608LRL.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  156.3 KB

And then we are out. These are the catacombs
Name:  DSC2610LRL.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  190.1 KB

But to get lost you must pay so we do not go inside. Moreover who comes to the lord to get lost....? Most come to find themselves. Right said?
Name:  DSC2610LRL.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  190.1 KB

If graves could be beautiful
Name:  DSC2613LRL.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  294.8 KB

These are old. Some only 40-50 years old, some 100s of years old. Some of common noblemen, some of princely lords and lordings.

And the more grand the headstone, the higher the stature.
Name:  DSC2614LRL.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  DSC2615LRL.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  67.5 KB

If you look up. you can see the castle
Name:  DSC2616LRL.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  102.0 KB

We exit, and decide to head upwards
Name:  DSC2617LRL.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  101.9 KB

I spot a Jimny, something Maruti will not grace us with.
Name:  DSC2618LRL.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  162.0 KB

And then, we start climbing, to the castle Salzburg
Old 29th August 2012, 14:41   #314
BHPian

Default Re: Day 12 #2: The City of Mozart

Quote:
I found this picture haunting. Maybe its the sculpture, or the lighting.. I don't know
Attachment 977597
If I may hazard a guess, this sculpture I think is of Jesus' body on Mary's lap just after His crucifiction.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:27   #315
BHPian

Awesome travellogue TSK. Loved your sense of humour, your way of using words (even the occasional typos felt okay) and your photography. I actually did this in one sitting. But it has stopped on 29th August. Lets have some more and travel through your words and pictures. More! More! More!
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote