Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th February 2013, 18:18   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...If all legs of horse are in air, that means the dude died a normal death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sinha View Post
...I wonder how they build horse statues with all legs up in the air (I've never actually seen one). Would it balance on it's tail, or they stick a bamboo thru the bottom like in the merry-go-rounds?
I too wonder with my surname sake - Mr. Sinha, how can a horse can have all the legs in the air!
Quote:
...And good to know atleast somebody is actually reading the t.log line by line!!
Tanveer! There are many like us who are actually reading teh t.log word by word!

Quote:
...There are speed cameras everywhere. If they had their way, they would fit guns in the cameras which would shoot down speeders, and then send the speeding ticket to the morgue.
Can't stop laughing
In fact the major attraction of GPS navigation maps in UK is the update with latest speed cameras!

Quote:
Anyways, a shot of the green grass. Grass seems to be switzerlands primary crop. Cows eat grass and give milk and meat. And milk is cheap(compared to everything else), but meat is not. Nor are eggs. Maybe because hens do not eat grass, so their food has to be imported?
... here train comes a couple of minutes later. Unfortunately there is nobody selling papads here.
Great anecdotes. I couldn't have imagined that a t.log would be so full of humour. You've all my eyes and ears!

Quote:
Imagine a Tata Ace, a Mahindra Maximo, and Maruti Eeco went out and had a threesome and produced a child. This thing in the RVM looks just like that.
Finally I am frustrated. I sit on the floor in "squatting position". make cluck cluck sounds, and then pickup an imaginary egg from the floor. In other words, I lay an imaginary egg.
Your facination with the machine never ends it seems.
What a hillarious situation to be in laying imaginary eggs! Were they gold eggs??

Quote:
...After 15 minutes of armpit smelling, we are at the parking.
Quote:
...So she makes a sound. I am sure she is telling use to go away in German. My wife speaks bit of german, but not cow german. I speak no german, except eier.
Quote:
...For a moment I think I have been transported to arabia, and a djinn is speaking to me, I CAN'T GRANT YOUR WISH. NOW I WILL PROCEED TO EAT YOU.
I can see atleast 20 differenet cans on the shelf. But she is speaking the truth. All she needs to do is stare at the cans, and the cans will burst open.
Quote:
My wife is actually very excited. I, OTOH, try to mask my fear by grinning for no reason. As we get into the plane, I have grin that resembles Dracula.
Funny, humurous, witty and still so real! It feels I'm in your shoes and can feel all the shock and awe!

Quote:
Can you tell me whats wrong with the lion? Well it has no tongue. The sculptor forgot to make tongue, and then killed himself in shame.
Is that true? Does the inscription below the statue state the same?
Nonstop-driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 22:24   #347
Team-BHP Support

Thanks!
I meant all legs on ground.
Speaking of chain bridge, its a popular Budapest legend told to tourists, but it is said that if you look from a height you can see the tongue.
There is also a legend that when it rains, the chain bridge can be pushed into the tunnel so that it does not get wet
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 21:22   #348
BHPian

Hello Tanveer! what about the rest of journey? People like me are still waiting and checking daily if you have posted. Please do.
Nonstop-driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 12:21   #349
BHPian

Hi Tanveer, this travelogue is not even walking now. It is crawling. There are still people out here eagerly waiting for further updates from you
narsi_6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:38   #350
Team-BHP Support

Default Day 14 #4: The Matthias Church

A very popular attraction near the castle is the Matthias church. Its very unique. You have to pay to get inside!

Well, so you have is exterior pics.
Name:  DSC_2903_LRXL.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  114.2 KB

Name:  DSC_2904_LRXL.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  123.2 KB

Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2905_lrxl.jpg

16-85 is not wide enough
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2910_lrxl.jpg

One statue there, I must say, one of the loveliest statues I saw in Europe
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2911_lrxl.jpg

Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2912_lrxl.jpg

Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2918_lrxl.jpg

Some more church views
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2914_lrxl.jpg

Reflected
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2915_lrxl.jpg

The parliament from up and above
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2921_lrxl.jpg

The church again
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2928_lrxl.jpg

The "fountain" in front. Closeups
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2939_lrxl.jpg

Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2940_lrxl.jpg

Arrows pierce this sculpture
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2941_lrxl.jpg

And horses run the streets
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2943_lrxl.jpg

Budapest has culture.. lots of it
There are artists dressed in traditional clothes too!
Sonata Europa - 5 countries, 4000kms and 15 days-dsc_2944_lrxl.jpg

But its past 3 now... and we have to see where to go next. We can roam in the castle gardens whole day... but time is short. There is one thing we have to see. Actually 2 things. The bath houses of hungary, and the heroes square!

And we will catch a 100 year old train to get there.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 17:07   #351

Hi Tanveer,

Awesome Travelogue. I will try to summarize the trip as I understood so that somebody interested can plan accordingly.

Flights: - Delhi-Moscow-Vienna & Budapest-Moscow-Delhi

The path taken:-

Vienna -> Koppenpass route -> Hallstat Lake -> Hallstat -> Grossglockner high alpine road -> Fusch -> Grossglockener -> Gerlos pass -> Sistrans -> Iinnsbruck -> Gerlos -> Krimml Waterfall -> Sistrans -> Head west, then head south, hit the Italian alps, enter Switzerland somewhere near bernina pass, and then make the long journey NW to destination (Tanveer this needs more clarity ) -> Stelvio pass via Italy -> Livigno -> Enter switzerland near the Bernina pass -> Purchase vigette before entering Swiss Land -> bernina pass -> Canon of Graubunden -> St. Moritz -> Silvapana -> Julierpass -> Stechelberg -> Grimsel Pass -> Engstlensee Lake -> Susten Pass -> Gotthard pass ->The Rhinefalls -> Salzburg -> Budapest (Tanveer please please pleaase edit it for any big errors)

Important Websites:-

economycarrentals.com -> Car
booking.com -> Hotel
homeaway.co.in -> Swiss chalet booking
swisspasses.com -> Bernese oberland passes.

Places Stayed:-

Vienna -> Sommerhotel Weiden
Sistrans -> Glasthof
Lauterbrunnen -> Chalet Jasmine
Budapest -> Hotel Attila

Places visited in Switzerland:-

Grimsel Pass, Bernese Alps, Furka Pass, Belvedre, Rhone Gletscher, Fiesch, Tasch, Zermatt, Matterhorn, Aletsch, Eggishorn, Klein Schedigg, Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Bachalpsee, Thun, Spiez, Interlaken, Trummelbach falls, Murren, Schilthorn, Piz Gloria, Allmendhubel, Luzern, Brienz Lake, Jaunpass, Oecheninsee.

May of the names mentioned above are gondola stations or train stations that come midway in transit.

Few more queries for you Tanveer :-
1. Taking car from airport at Vienna makes more sense than inside the Vienna city? Asking this as both have SIXT pickup points.
2. Which SIM card/ Network did you opt for during this trip and did you arrange it in India itself before the trip?
3. Do you remember the website where we can get email id/contact details of chalet owners in Switzerland?
4. How did you manage to get IDP? Via agent or running around the RTO?

Thanks a ton in advance. Your valuable inputs will help a lot.
ankurdon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 18:20   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurdon View Post

Few more queries for you Tanveer :-
1. Taking car from airport at Vienna makes more sense than inside the Vienna city? Asking this as both have SIXT pickup points.
2. Which SIM card/ Network did you opt for during this trip and did you arrange it in India itself before the trip?
3. Do you remember the website where we can get email id/contact details of chalet owners in Switzerland?
4. How did you manage to get IDP? Via agent or running around the RTO?

Thanks a ton in advance. Your valuable inputs will help a lot.
Wow! you really did a lot of research!
1. Airport is in outskirts. I was not confident in taking a LHD manual inside city!
2. No Sim card. Used WIFI
3. holiday-home, chalets.com etc., there are tonnes of websites. The swiss official sites also list a lot of links
4. Via Agent, but I did not even show it anywhere even once. Indian license only.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014, 21:15   #353

Hi Tanveer,

I am going to do a very similar trip starting 15th August. From what I understand it makes sense to avoid motorways and autobahns as far as possible to enjoy the scenery and get a true feel of the places. I would like to know how to ensure that we avoid them and take the correct local route?
Do you recommend any particular must reads about driving rules and regulations in europe? Thanks a lot for your help.
ankurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 13:53   #354
BHPian

Hi there,

Amazing travelogue from tsk!! Its a like a guide book to Europe!!

I have an upcoming trip of 2 weeks to France this month. For the first week I have planned to use Public Transport and the 2nd week I have booked Europcar to explore the French Alps and the Riviera.

I just realised I have an issue here with my D/L. I got my new D/L issued last month, since my old D/L which was issued 20 years back was expiring this year in November, so I went in for a new D/L. The issue is I did not exactly renew my old D/L but went in with a completely new one since the old D/L was issued in 1995 there was a discrepancy in it as the DOB mentioned is different in my other documents like passport/voter ID and the old D/L. Hence to regularise the discrepancy I went in for a new D/L with my correct DOB as per the BC and Passport and discarded the old D/L.

Europcar and other rental companies have a policy where the D/L should have been issued for more than 1 year ago at the date of renting the vehicle, which is not the case here.

Is there a way out? Can anyone throw some light on this issue?Thanks.

I only have the soft copy of my old D/L as mentioned earlier it has been discarded.

I have previously rented cars from Europcar in quiet a few countries in Europe. Indian D/L is accepted in Europe.
sameer sultan is offline   Reply With Quote