Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 23:51   #61
BHPian
 
idofsuresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 156
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Brilliant! I am no bike rider but your thread hooked me - read every word and finally there was a smile on my face when you went back home successfully.

Seriously, it is no mean accomplishment to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours in Indian conditions and Indian roads. It is far far easy to do the same thing in a remote highway in the USA, where the pollution is less, road conditions are significantly better, other drivers follow rules & reduce your overall stress, the traffic will be a lot lesser (in a remote freeway), you can maintain an average speed of 60 mph even if you consistently drive at 65 mph as there will be very negligible road bottlenecks and almost all fuel stations give you a printed receipt (so you don't have to spend time searching for one). I am not even sure whether the IBA would understand the difficulties and fatigue involved in driving in India - in an ideal world they should give you a SaddleSore++. I am sure your thread will inspire many bikers to try the SaddleSore feat.
idofsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 13:21   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 33
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Congratulations for extra-ordinary feat. What is amazing to me is how you did it without preparations, it goes to show your passion for bike riding.
Please keep us posted with your status from IBA
shyaGO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 16:16   #63
BHPian
 
NikhilReddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 72
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

MadBiker,

I love when folks take these mean machines to extreme testing. Ninja is a whacker! And you are simply super! I can only sit back and admire at your extraordinary achievement. What preparation have you done before embarking on this tough and testing adventure? - Preparing the bike and yourself. I am also looking to purchase a good Saddle for my CBR 250R do you have any suggestions. Can we occasionally rest our back on saddles?
NikhilReddy is offline  
Old 19th October 2011, 16:49   #64
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Brilliant! I am no bike rider but your thread hooked me - read every word and finally there was a smile on my face when you went back home successfully.

Seriously, it is no mean accomplishment to ride 1000 miles in 24 hours in Indian conditions and Indian roads. It is far far easy to do the same thing in a remote highway in the USA, where the pollution is less, road conditions are significantly better, other drivers follow rules & reduce your overall stress, the traffic will be a lot lesser (in a remote freeway), you can maintain an average speed of 60 mph even if you consistently drive at 65 mph as there will be very negligible road bottlenecks and almost all fuel stations give you a printed receipt (so you don't have to spend time searching for one). I am not even sure whether the IBA would understand the difficulties and fatigue involved in driving in India - in an ideal world they should give you a SaddleSore++. I am sure your thread will inspire many bikers to try the SaddleSore feat.
Thank you idofsuresh

As a matter of fact, India does have some good roads. The traffic, animals, people on road, etc make it interesting and also tough when riding in accordance to a timeline. Glad i was able to make it before the deadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaGO View Post
Congratulations for extra-ordinary feat. What is amazing to me is how you did it without preparations, it goes to show your passion for bike riding.
Please keep us posted with your status from IBA
Thank you. I would definitely post in once i hear from IBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post
MadBiker,

I love when folks take these mean machines to extreme testing. Ninja is a whacker! And you are simply super! I can only sit back and admire at your extraordinary achievement. What preparation have you done before embarking on this tough and testing adventure? - Preparing the bike and yourself. I am also looking to purchase a good Saddle for my CBR 250R do you have any suggestions. Can we occasionally rest our back on saddles?
Ninja is indeed a whacker, may be thats why they call it a kwacker?

And resting your back on Saddle? I did not understand that part - You can go for after market seats (like Corbin) But i suggest you add extra foam and redesign your seat than adding a VFR / Harley sort of a seat. But i thought CBR had better seats than the Ninja?
MadBiker is offline  
Old 19th October 2011, 20:50   #65
BHPian
 
slackyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Fantastic motorbiking. The amount of distance travelled with respect to your bike and time taken is very respectable. I can relate to why you call it a saddlesore! Excellent writing and a job well done!
slackyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 22:59   #66
BHPian
 
GunMo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

@Madbiker, that's an excellent trip and an excellent write up + photos! Hats off!!

I've done Chennai-Erode in Bullet 350 sometime back in 2008, and I can relate to the pain and the endurance - however, doing it double time, back-to-back is something really a "saddlesore"! Bravo!!

Couple questions:
1. Isn't a GPS tracker not an acceptable / verifiable tool by saddlesore's standards? Will save time searching for ATMs and outlets with printed receipts. (not adding the bulk to your purse and create extra sores)

2. I understand you were listening to music and not using in-ear headphones. Don't know if the headgear you were using had built-in speaker system; wearing any type of external headphones (including in-ear) inside the helmet will become a pain in the ear (literally) after a couple hours. At least I felt that way. How did you manage for so long - morning till evening? (the simple ear-plugs are my favorite - will feel less tiresome as well).

Anyways, Hats off again!!
GunMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 16:02   #67
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 180
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackyboy View Post
Fantastic motorbiking. The amount of distance travelled with respect to your bike and time taken is very respectable. I can relate to why you call it a saddlesore! Excellent writing and a job well done!
Thank you slackyboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
@Madbiker, that's an excellent trip and an excellent write up + photos! Hats off!!

I've done Chennai-Erode in Bullet 350 sometime back in 2008, and I can relate to the pain and the endurance - however, doing it double time, back-to-back is something really a "saddlesore"! Bravo!!

Couple questions:
1. Isn't a GPS tracker not an acceptable / verifiable tool by saddlesore's standards? Will save time searching for ATMs and outlets with printed receipts. (not adding the bulk to your purse and create extra sores)

2. I understand you were listening to music and not using in-ear headphones. Don't know if the headgear you were using had built-in speaker system; wearing any type of external headphones (including in-ear) inside the helmet will become a pain in the ear (literally) after a couple hours. At least I felt that way. How did you manage for so long - morning till evening? (the simple ear-plugs are my favorite - will feel less tiresome as well).

Anyways, Hats off again!!
Thanks GunMo.

1. I used a Garmin 76 CSX in the trip, But unfortunately - Did not save the track log in time (need to save it every 1000 Kilometers or so i think) - I had the Madurai - Chennai - Salem - Chennai track log saved. But not enough to provide evidence based on this. But GPS Logs are also a vital evidence. But in towns / non metro cities - GPS cannot be completely trusted. Though there were plenty of ATM's in Madurai, Only a handful were working (and giving a printed receipt)

2. I used it in phases, Chennai - Trichy (to beat the sleep) and Trichy - Chennai, then Krishnagiri - Salem and Salem - Vellore. I used the Samsung In-Ear headphone attached to Nokia's default headset. I did not feel the pain, but on the ride i was more focused towards riding & reaching the destination than listening to what song was actually playing - More of "Let me not get bored just by riding, let some songs too get into my ears"
MadBiker is offline  
Old 5th March 2015, 11:47   #68
AKS
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 12
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

@ MADBIKER: You (along with others who have succeeded in SaddleSore) have inspired me to attempt this. I shall surely try and share the experience. Thanks a ton. Cheers
AKS is offline  
Old 5th March 2015, 18:46   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 209
Thanked: 189 Times
Default Re: Why Not A SaddleSore?

Mod Note: Due to the dangerous nature of Saddlesores, Team-BHP doesn't support this riding practice. Please ride safe, ride easy & enjoy your motorcycle at your own pace.

Thread closed.


Congratulations on your accomplishment !! Its not a mean feat and speaks a lot about your stamina and your drive to ride. Awesome thread and very nice description.

This reminded me of the time me and my friend had done Pune-Nashik-Pune in about 11 hours on his TVS Victor GLX 125. This was way back around 2003-4. He drove the way to Nashik and I drove on the way back. It was in December and we started off at 05.30AM. We had stopped at a highway dhaba and it was so cold, our hands were numb and we had piping hot wada sambhar. We could see the hot vapour rising from the sambhar but could not feel it in our mouth due to the cold !

Thanks for the nice post.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2015 at 09:56. Reason: Thread closure note
luvDriving is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddlesore on Yamaha FZ16 melroyal Motorbikes 16 23rd February 2012 20:26
Successful Saddlesore 1600K attempt in my Fazer blueband4u Motorbikes 43 20th May 2011 13:41
Successfully completed "Saddlesore 1600K" swapitude Travelogues 5 12th April 2011 19:33
Help needed : Attempting SaddleSore 1000 swapitude Route / Travel Queries 9 23rd March 2011 21:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks