Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th October 2011, 13:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Road To the Sea. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore. Again!

Excellent write up Suhaas! You have captured the essence of a vacation very well. The lazing around the beach, spending time with family & friends and of course the mouth watering food. Let me tell you, i am a staunch eggeterian, but your snaps had my mouth watering though i have never ordered any of those dishes anytime so far in any of the coastal places i have visited. Such is the power of your photos. Well done.

The Royal Orchid staff have to be commended for their Towel Origami. Looking at them in the pics put a smile on my face. I can only imagine how it would have lifted your mood looking at it live

PS: contrary to others, i somehow like the idea of the whole TL in one go. Saves searching for the next update in between the comments. And yes, i came back after navigating to a different page since i had forgotten to rate it a well deserved 5 stars!!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 11th October 2011 at 13:26.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:58   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Fabulous account of your trip suhaas. Isnt it amazing how the Jazz really transforms into a different beast altogether on longer trips? I loved the pics of your Jazz by the roadside. Sometimes I wish I should take along another rubber tyre just to hang it on a tree branch there and while away the afternoon.

I am very glad to see lots of recommendations on places to eat, most of which I will definitely use on my quick route to the century mark! Of course, I liked the account of the restaurants in Goa, but I absolutely adored the pics of the khotos. This is something I have been wanting to try for a while. Might go down that extra 200 clicks to taste that when I drive down to Goa next

I agree with Ashish on the downside part of the assembly line. Now we will have only comments on further pages :(

12 on the highway, really?! I hope you have a direct tap from the middle east.
Any of your friends need an extended local Jazz TD, feel free to buzz me. We like to see more Jazz around
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Excellent write up Suhaas! You have captured the essence of a vacation very well. The lazing around the beach, spending time with family & friends and of course the mouth watering food. Let me tell you, i am a staunch eggeterian, but your snaps had my mouth watering though i have never ordered any of those dishes anytime so far in any of the coastal places i have visited. Such is the power of your photos. Well done.

The Royal Orchid staff have to be commended for their Towel Origami. Looking at them in the pics put a smile on my face. I can only imagine how it would have lifted your mood looking at it live

PS: contrary to others, i somehow like the idea of the whole TL in one go. Saves searching for the next update in between the comments. And yes, i came back after navigating to a different page since i had forgotten to rate it a well deserved 5 stars!!
Thank you for your kind words guys! It means a lot!

Selfdrive, I echo your sentiments. I always smile when I see another Jazz on the streets. It would be great to see more of them. You know, I wonder why several people buy hatchbacks that are booted when you've got the Jazz on sale? No other hatchback can do what it does! Think about it!

Space for 4 in comfort. Space for their luggage. Superior mileage. It is even better than some sedans out there. And what's more, it's available at 5-7 lakhs, which is much cheaper than any C-segment sedan today!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Home Sweet Home. I will never know why I ever left it or atleast partly (my parents are still in Goa). We have a house right behind Mum's Kitchen

Two things you might have noticed from your last years trip. The two bridges over the railway crossings around Harihar and Ranebennur. They have cut down travel time by almost 30-45 minutes taking into consideration wait time for the gate crossing.

Nice travelogue ofcourse. Thanks for sharing.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:21   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Home Sweet Home. I will never know why I ever left it or atleast partly (my parents are still in Goa). We have a house right behind Mum's Kitchen

Aww don't lose heart Spitfire. Bangalore can change. There is tremendous scope for improvement. Hold on for another few years. And if things don't change, we shall drive together to Goa and I'll find a place of my own!

Thank you!
Old 11th October 2011, 15:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Two things you might have noticed from your last years trip. The two bridges over the railway crossings around Harihar and Ranebennur. They have cut down travel time by almost 30-45 minutes taking into consideration wait time for the gate crossing.

when we come to Goa, i'll be calling you (number please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Aww don't lose heart Spitfire. Bangalore can change. There is tremendous scope for improvement. Hold on for another few years. And if things don't change, we shall drive together to Goa and I'll find a place of my own!

Thank you!
count me in! whatever's left of Bangalore in a few year won't be livable
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Aww don't lose heart Spitfire. Bangalore can change. There is tremendous scope for improvement. Hold on for another few yearsAnd.
And I trying my bit to help that happen.

Quote:
if things don't change, we shall drive together to Goa and I'll find a place of my own!
You might need my help there. Oh there is a lot to see. Someday go alone. Like a vagabond, cycle around the whole place. Don't worry about anything. Do what you want. Stay where you want. I was exactly like that before dad put an end to it. LOL!!

Problem with the above is, you will never get back to normal life or will never identity with normal people. Trust me I live with that every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
when we come to Goa, i'll be calling you (number please)
Oh ofcourse. I am the official Goa guide in which ever firm I work in anyways. You dont have my number? PMed it to you.

Over the last weekend a friend called me at 0400 hours on Friday night telling me how awesome the place I recommended to him is. I then told him to check the time. He said yeah I know its early morning and you are Goan and wont mind him calling me at this time. LOL!!
Spitfire is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 16:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Suhaas, now that is a hell of a TL. Very well said (on my thread). Same little state, but such a different way of looking at it.

That's a ton of pictures you've got there. Amazingly clicked too. The entire TL was a refershing read and even though I've been to Goa just a few months ago, I feel like heading there right now - thanks to your amazing snaps!

P.S: One thing I noticed in the pics is - Hubli is spelt differently (in English and Devnagri) as you start heading towards Northern Karnataka. Why?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 17:09   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

count me in! whatever's left of Bangalore in a few year won't be livable
Couldn't agree with you more. And join us, by all means!

Quote:
And I trying my bit to help that happen.

You might need my help there. Oh there is a lot to see. Someday go alone. Like a vagabond, cycle around the whole place. Don't worry about anything. Do what you want. Stay where you want. I was exactly like that before dad put an end to it. LOL!!

Problem with the above is, you will never get back to normal life or will never identity with normal people. Trust me I live with that every day.

Oh ofcourse. I am the official Goa guide in which ever firm I work in anyways. You dont have my number? PMed it to you.

Over the last weekend a friend called me at 0400 hours on Friday night telling me how awesome the place I recommended to him is. I then told him to check the time. He said yeah I know its early morning and you are Goan and wont mind him calling me at this time. LOL!!
Now that's the way you stay in Goa. No. that's the way you 'live'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Suhaas, now that is a hell of a TL. Very well said (on my thread). Same little state, but such a different way of looking at it.

That's a ton of pictures you've got there. Amazingly clicked too. The entire TL was a refershing read and even though I've been to Goa just a few months ago, I feel like heading there right now - thanks to your amazing snaps!

P.S: One thing I noticed in the pics is - Hubli is spelt differently (in English and Devnagri) as you start heading towards Northern Karnataka. Why?
You're too kind Swananad! Thank you so much for the compliments!

Yes I noticed it too. I guess it might have something to do with the dialect. Kannada is more 'raw' in the northern parts of the State. There is a little difference I suppose. But haven't communicated in Kannada with the locals in that part of the State, so much that I can pin-point the difference.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 18:40   #39
BHPian

@Suhass, amazing travelogue you almost made me travel along with you! Brilliant write-up and OMG pictures, pictures and more pictures, pal seriously hats-off to your patience! However, for me the most exciting part through the entire travelogue was your write up and photos of those delicious - yummy - mouth watering goan dishes (arghhh, I'm seriously salivating as I'm writing those lines ).

Your travelogue has really made me finalize my next vacation spot which I'm planning towards mid / end Nov'11. Will definitely take notes from your travelogue before I plan my vacation. Here is where I might need your help in figuring out how to reach those restaurants that you have mentioned in your posts.

I'm planning to make my next vacation a purely foodie experience, so suggestions from other compatriots would be welcome.

Quote:

@Spitfire, will look forward for your help and suggestions as well
si1ver0ne is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 19:19   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Suhaas, you dog! You've ruined office for most of us.

Reading the wonderful TL that you've written, I am itching to have the road trip we discussed. Buddy, you've written well!

I've been going to some part of Goa almost every year for the past 5 years and trust me, one can never get enough. Some days, it is a road trip with all the luxuries and on others a life on the cycle and living in shacks.

I bet it must've been a heartbreak to leave Goa.

Man, we need to start planning!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 20:48   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
@Suhass, amazing travelogue you almost made me travel along with you! Brilliant write-up and OMG pictures, pictures and more pictures, pal seriously hats-off to your patience! However, for me the most exciting part through the entire travelogue was your write up and photos of those delicious - yummy - mouth watering goan dishes (arghhh, I'm seriously salivating as I'm writing those lines ).

Your travelogue has really made me finalize my next vacation spot which I'm planning towards mid / end Nov'11. Will definitely take notes from your travelogue before I plan my vacation. Here is where I might need your help in figuring out how to reach those restaurants that you have mentioned in your posts.

I'm planning to make my next vacation a purely foodie experience, so suggestions from other compatriots would be welcome.

@Spitfire, will look forward for your help and suggestions as well
Thank you so much for those kind words mate! Much appreciated.

If you're interested in more information on restaurants, please take the time to read my older Goa TL. There is a comprehensive list of the best and the not-so-good restaurants in the TL.

here is the link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html (White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Suhaas, you dog! You've ruined office for most of us.

Reading the wonderful TL that you've written, I am itching to have the road trip we discussed. Buddy, you've written well!

I've been going to some part of Goa almost every year for the past 5 years and trust me, one can never get enough. Some days, it is a road trip with all the luxuries and on others a life on the cycle and living in shacks.

I bet it must've been a heartbreak to leave Goa.

Man, we need to start planning!
Haha! Thank you so much man!

Oh yes, it was painful to see it just disappear behind us. But it gives us the ability to dream of it for the next one year. until we go again!

We certainly need to start planning!
Old 12th October 2011, 09:32   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Super travelogue, rated a well-deserved 5 stars.

Your writeup is tempting, and reminds me that its been a year since my last road-trip to Goa. Time to start planning.....few destinations that are as chilled out, relaxing & fun as Goa, especially if you have the right company.

I'm not surprised to see the Jazz gobble up more luggage than the Civic; the latter's boot space is simply pathetic. Goes to show that "liters" and specifications aren't everything. BTW, you should get the coil spring adjusters that I fitted on my Civic. They greatly reduce the bottoming out & scraping on speedbumps problems.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 14:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Excellent travelogue Suhaas. Goa in monsoon has a special place in my heart as have gone there several times during this period. Unfortunately, havent been to goa for almost 1.5 years and this TL reminds me that should go on my to-do list ASAP.

Being a foodie, i especially liked you clicking almost all your meal pictures and also rating them. It's a treat for the gastronomic indulgers

Loved all the picture and Jazz in that blue looks awesome. So how about a ride and handling comparison with your Civic?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 16:27   #44
BHPian

Fantastic Travelogue Suhaas. Very well compiled. Loved your take on food and roads. In fact I feel like packing my bags right now and head for Goa.
TSEA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 17:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Super travelogue, rated a well-deserved 5 stars.

Your writeup is tempting, and reminds me that its been a year since my last road-trip to Goa. Time to start planning.....few destinations that are as chilled out, relaxing & fun as Goa, especially if you have the right company.

I'm not surprised to see the Jazz gobble up more luggage than the Civic; the latter's boot space is simply pathetic. Goes to show that "liters" and specifications aren't everything. BTW, you should get the coil spring adjusters that I fitted on my Civic. They greatly reduce the bottoming out & scraping on speedbumps problems.
Thank you Rush! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

That's true. Measurements don't give us the complete picture always. What's on paper may not always translate into something that it suggests otherwise! It's great that our Jazz accommodated us so well. We're considering taking her on our yearly drives from now on, and letting the Civic remain where it is!

The coil-overs are a great suggestion. In fact, I forwarded this suggestion to my father, and other mods too. But we don't see the point in beefing up our Civic. We may not have it for too long, and we might look to replace it with Skoda's new Laura that's based on the MissionL. Provided it's priced right. We're really looking forward to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Excellent travelogue Suhaas. Goa in monsoon has a special place in my heart as have gone there several times during this period. Unfortunately, havent been to goa for almost 1.5 years and this TL reminds me that should go on my to-do list ASAP.

Being a foodie, i especially liked you clicking almost all your meal pictures and also rating them. It's a treat for the gastronomic indulgers

Loved all the picture and Jazz in that blue looks awesome. So how about a ride and handling comparison with your Civic?
Thank you so much Mobike. I know how much you like Goa and TL's on holidays to Goa. Thank you for those kind words! Much appreciated. And please do share with friends and family. Would mean a lot!

Comparison? Aye aye Captain!

Ride:

- Civic:

The ride in the Civic is a little better than the Jazz. It cushions you a little more, especially over undulations that you're bound to drive over while on a long drive like this. The Civic is a comfortable car on long drives. But then most cars are in the segment. It's pretty much like the Cruze. I've been in a Cruze, and I think the Cruze is better over rough surfaces. Cabin space is pretty much the same too. The Civic may have marginally more leg room than the Chevy. But like I said, it's marginal.

All in all, the Civic has a good ride, but it could be better.

- Jazz:

The Jazz is pretty good. It may not boast of a supple ride like some other cars in the segment, but on smoother roads, it's not quite different from the competition, or even the Civic for that matter. On rough roads, you do feel the thuds and the rough surface filters into the car easily, which isn't a good thing. But that said, there are cars that ride worse.

Handling:

- Civic:

Now the Civic is a good handler. The steering is positive, has plenty of feel at higher speeds, and feels chuck-able around the corners. But not as chuck-able as I'd like it to be. the steering is neutral at lower speeds and very light, making it very easy to maneuver in city-traffic. the steering also weighs up at higher speeds nicely. however, minor undulations can tend to unsettle the car at higher speeds. Bumps and uneven surfaces aren't handled with that well. It should feel more stable if you throw in some coil-overs and maybe a strut-brace.

- Jazz:

The Jazz is a very neutral car. It doesn't handle as well as the Civic, and that could be attributed to the wider 195 section tyres that the Civic wears, as opposed to the 175 section tyres on the Jazz. Also, the wider track on the Civic gives it an edge. However, I felt that the Jazz comes with a stiffer suspension setup when compared to the Civic. (I guess that's why the ride feels harsher in comparison too) And the stiffer setup makes the Jazz a great little car that can be bags of fun if the driver behind the wheel is smart and has good control. The Jazz, around the Ghats, was great fun. It felt pretty chuck-able, probably even more than the Civic. What it desperately requires is a wider set of tyres. Preferably 195 sections on lower profile tyres. That should not only help improve the handling, but also give it better composure and stability on the highway.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th October 2011 at 17:41.