Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th October 2011, 18:30   #1
BHPian

Talking My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed)

As a kid, I was always fascinated by cars, especially the sporty kinds. I had all the hot wheels and matchbox cars in my collection. Infact my grandma once said, I will grow up and become a driver! Well in those days computers weren't a big thing :-) but thats where I ended, like most people of our generation

The addiction for cars, got me hooked to all things cars - formula 1, top gear, fifth gear, etc. and yes tbhp :-)

I had some experience driving dad's maruti suzuki 800 and fiat premier padmini in engineering days and ended up owning a hyundai santro while working in Bangalore. A rather unlikely car to modify, but I managed to get a a nice CAI (cold air intake) and FFE (free flow exhaust) on the santro and even a few track days with the team-bhp gang. I did seriously think of a ford fiesta sport or mitsubishi lancer in those days, but knew very well anything more exotic (hell even a mitsubishi evo X) would just be a dream given the crazy import duties in India. Held on to that dream as I knew one day my time will come.

The time came in sep 2010 when I moved to the land down under and although in aussie-land good sporty cars are 2-3 times as much as they cost in US/UK, I knew I was close to getting one. Infact the day I got my residency visa, I was already checking out websites to understand what can be had in aussie-land. I even had a thread on tbhp http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...e-dollars.html hinting there was a friend moving to australia, when it was actually me. Got some good suggestions then.

Things didn't come easy though. Frequent work travel kept me from getting my driving license in australia. There was no direct conversion for an indian license (understandable), so had to go through 2 computerized tests (learners and hazard perception) and some driving lessons, before even being eligible for a drive test. After an agonisingly long wait, finally got to giving my drive test and passing it first attempt in sep 2011. The night before the drive test I was back to searching for cars, and infact even during the driving test I was thinking I can't believe this is it, I am passing today and getting a car soon!

The test was passed on a friday (23rd sep 2011) and I was already doing test drives on saturday and sunday with just a drive test result in my hand (license hadn't even shipped from vic roads). There were so many options lotus elise, mazda mx5, rx8, holden/ford performance cars, mitsubisi evo X, subaru wrx sti, golf r, nissan 370z, audi tt, etc.

Given that I follow road rules and there are strong road rules here, I knew anything very high on power would just be pointless. But I did wan't something fun to drive, which would mean a rear wheel drive. That narrowed it down to lotus elise, mazda mx5 and rx8. I figured the elise was barely in stock, impractical as a daily driver (it rains a lot here) and slightly over my budget. RX8 was out due to its awesome yet impractical engine and only marginally useful claustrophobic rear seats with almost no leg room.
That was it the decision was simple, it had to be the MX5 no tons of power to sort you out, just a modest 2 litre 167bhp, rear wheel drive, 50:50 weight distribution for lots of fun on the twisties while still staying legal on speeds. A great track car, but also add to that creature comforts like stability/traction control for wet days, power retractable hard top for occasional top down fun and 7 speaker bose sound system. I don't need more than 2 seats at the moment and the boot is big enough for weekend shopping from the farmers market!
In under a week of passing my drive test, I had my finances sorted out, jumped some hoops to get a loan (due to no previous borrowing history), negotiated a cool 10% off the recommended retail price to end up in a brand new aluminium silver coloured Mazda MX5 Special Edition (Mazda Australia Zoom-Zoom - Mazda MX-5 Special Edition steers into Australian showrooms). There are only 200 speciial editions made with some nice bilstein shocks, cool alloys and grey leather insides. I chose one of the only ones available at a dealer next door and it was driven only 26kms, out of which 6kms were driven by me during the test drive.

The car is loads of fun, still running in, but I am enjoying every bit of it Here are some pics I took on the morning after delivery
My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed) - Ownership and Travelogues-img_20111001_105934_1.jpg

My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed) - Ownership and Travelogues-img_20111001_105944_1.jpg

Note - this is also posted on my blog Random Musings from jatin: journey to my sports car

jassi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 19:41   #2
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: journey to my sports car

There there..jatin!
Looks like your friend and you have the same taste in cars!

A big congratulations to you!
The new MX5 is indeed one of the most popular sports cars in the world - from street to circuit, it will delight you, in many ways!

I like the new face-lifted MX5, with its high wheel arches (front and rear) inspired from the RX8.

Your story reminds me of the days when my house mate was hunting for a car and closed in on the Mazda 3 SP23 Sedan. A very peppy car. Thereafter my respect for Mazdas grew !

Do share some more pics of the beauty - inside and out.

And like you said in your opening post - Live to Drive!

cheers mate.

OT: Hey do you live in Essendon? I used to live @403 Racecourse Road,
Kensington.
The northern suburbs !

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 5th October 2011 at 19:50.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:00   #3
BHPian

Default Re: journey to my sports car

Congrags.

Left me wondering though.

1. 2-3 times the price of US cars?so does that mean cars in australia are costlier than in India?

2. Why is RX8 wankel engine awesome but impractical?Is it due to the high rev nature?

3.Why wasnt the 370z test driven?Too much power?
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:28   #4
BHPian

Smile Re: journey to my sports car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
A big congratulations to you!
The new MX5 is indeed one of the most popular sports cars in the world - from street to circuit, it will delight you, in many ways!

OT: Hey do you live in Essendon? I used to live @403 Racecourse Road,
Kensington.
The northern suburbs !
Thanks Monaro!! Will click some more pics soon and yes I do live in essendon (was in north melby before) and have lots of friends in kensington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Congrags.

Left me wondering though.

1. 2-3 times the price of US cars?so does that mean cars in australia are costlier than in India?

2. Why is RX8 wankel engine awesome but impractical?Is it due to the high rev nature?

3.Why wasnt the 370z test driven?Too much power?
Thanks revintup!
As an example on prices, basic porsche cayman costs 50k in the US and 130k in Australia and around 70L in India. So yeah only slightly cheaper than India, but this is only for performance cars as generally they have some sort of a luxury tax on them in aussie which bumps up their price.
The RX8 engine is awesome cos it revs all the way 9k!! but eats up oil literally and so you need to check oil every other day, drive the car a lot and deal with engine flooding and starting issues at times. Also you need to really work the car due to lack of low end torque.
I did consider the 370z, however a sticker price of 85k kept me off it
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:47   #5
BHPian

My dream car man! TBHP is indeed a place for all autoworshippers! That shows your taste. Mazda MX-5 is indeed imho "The Best" convertible sports car. Congrats and happy miles. Pics and travelogues please!
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jassi, was wondering where you have disappeared to
Congrats on an awesome car bro.
How different is it to drive from the regular MX5? Did you feel a difference with the Bilsteins?
Wish you lots of fun times ahead, drive safe.
More pics please.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 16:49   #7
BHPian

Dude, with those hooked turns and trams running around, are you really able to enjoy this baby?

Boy, I just remembered that The Great Ocean Drive is right next to melbourne. Have great fun ripping it there. Love the car, especially the alloys are too good.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 18:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely to read about your dream turning to reality. Stunning car. Now waiting for some great outdoor shots and drive stories.

I would have thought by now Wankle engine's oil problems had been sorted out and they have started becoming reasonably fuel efficient. Any one willing to post a TD experience of a new RX8??
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Default Re: My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed)

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2011 at 14:48.
akbaree is online now   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 7th October 2011, 04:53   #10
BHPian

Congrats Jatin. Lovely choice. Those alloy look classy.
Do post some interior pictures of the beauty.
C300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 07:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nice choice Jassi - congrats.
How is the hardtop ? It is retractable while moving?
Also - how is the bootspace when driving top down?
drive safe!
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 17:05   #12
BHPian

Smile Re: My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed)

Thanks All! will have some more pics when I get some time off from enjoying the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
My dream car man! TBHP is indeed a place for all autoworshippers! That shows your taste. Mazda MX-5 is indeed imho "The Best" convertible sports car. Congrats and happy miles. Pics and travelogues please!
All i was after was a rear wheel drive which is involving to drive. i did not want too many computers controlling what i do (aka evo X) or too much power with bad handling. The choice was then simple lotus elise or mx5 and I chose the mx5 as it had some creature comforts and fit better in my budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hey Jassi, was wondering where you have disappeared to
Congrats on an awesome car bro.
How different is it to drive from the regular MX5? Did you feel a difference with the Bilsteins?
Wish you lots of fun times ahead, drive safe.
More pics please.
the difference with the bilsteins is not discernable on regular roads so far. maybe on the track someday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Dude, with those hooked turns and trams running around, are you really able to enjoy this baby?

Boy, I just remembered that The Great Ocean Drive is right next to melbourne. Have great fun ripping it there. Love the car, especially the alloys are too good.
confusing hook turns are only the city, and yeah great ocean and lots of other fun drives to goto! Waiting for the run in to happen and then I should be able to rev it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Lovely to read about your dream turning to reality. Stunning car. Now waiting for some great outdoor shots and drive stories.

I would have thought by now Wankle engine's oil problems had been sorted out and they have started becoming reasonably fuel efficient. Any one willing to post a TD experience of a new RX8??
I did look at the rx8 seriously for a few mins in the used car section - no one here seems to have new ones. did not get around to td'ing one though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Congrats Jatin. Lovely choice. Those alloy look classy.
Do post some interior pictures of the beauty.
The alloys were definitely one of the differentiators on the special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nice choice Jassi - congrats.
How is the hardtop ? It is retractable while moving?
Also - how is the bootspace when driving top down?
drive safe!
The PHRT (power retractable hard top) goes up and down in 10 secs flat. However can only be operated stationary in neutral (recommended with engine on so as to not drain battery). This is what the manual says but I am sure I read somewhere it can be operated at slow speeds as well, but I don't wanna try! As far as boot space, its quite big - big enough to fit a week of shopping from the farmer's market. The hardtop doesn't go down into the boot, it goes behind the seats, and so consumes no boot space. Also the whole hardtop only adds 37 kilos to the overall weight, but driving with the top up reduces drag it seems and adds more safety for sure!
Old 8th October 2011, 20:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congrats jassi on chasing up your dream and attaining it by picking the Mazda MX5. I have always thought of the MX-5 as one of the cutest, coolest and most practical fun car to have and your initial impressions just nails it.

I may sound cliched but nevertheless, I am going to repeat the same. For our viewing pleasure, please get us more outdoor shots of your car, some of them with the top down. Aussie land has some breathtaking locales, add your MX-5 in the foreground and give us some great shots!
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:53   #14
BHPian

Smile My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed) - Ownership and Travelogues

Lorne Run(in)

Had been itching for this for a long time. A long drive on the twisties in my new MX-5. With my first car service coming in a few days, this was the last weekend I could do a proper run-in of the MX-5 and get to 1000kms on the odo before given her in for servicing.

The day started early at 8am - needed to goto Crossfit Victoria for a quick workout before I hit the road. By around 10am, I couldn't wait to get out of crossfit class and hit the road. First things first, fired up navigation on my trusty google nexus one and headed to the closest BP fuel station to fill up on some RON 98 petrol.

After filling her up, I got the mood going with a frank sinatra station on Pandora radio and pointed google navigation to Lorne. 150kms is not a lot but already cloudy and with heavy rains predicted, I knew I was headed for some tough bits.

And the tough bits came, heavy blinding rain for quite a few kms while I was on the westgate-princess freeway. Couldn't see a thing, with the downpour as well as the spray coming from all the bigger SUVs passing me by. Strange thoughts passed my mind as this was my first time in a rear wheel drive in crazy wet conditions. Checked to make sure stability control was on! Stuck to 90kmph and kept going in my lane and then it finally cleared up. The road even started to dry up by the time I got to the Geelong Ring road and then I hit the twisties on Angelsea and Great Ocean Road. The MX-5 lapped up everything the roads threw at her without having to slow down anywhere. Its amazing how a front engined rear wheel drive handles on these roads - you won't know it till you drive one. The 50:50 weight ratio, the smooth acceleration and braking and precise handling makes MX5s a joy to drive on the twisties - these are things I had only heard, but here I was cushioned inside of one, experiencing the same while listening to some soothing music from her bose audio system. There is a distinct hum inside the cabin from the engine and tire sounds which cannot be drowned unless the music is very loud. Roll down the windows and the chaos of the wind trying to get in makes you realize how fast you really are going.

Ofcourse, I knew this was a running-in drive, so at the freeway even at 100kmph was playing with 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears to have patches of driving at various rpms between 2k to 5k. But there was some good fun to be had once I hit great ocean road, was always changing gears up and down to keep the revs going all over the place. Every few minutes, I went down to 3rd or 2nd and spent a few secs all the way up at 5000rpm (way below max revs zone) and saw some real potential in her basic 2L 158BHP 188Nm engine. Felt some g-forces on the spiraling B roads and enjoyed some great views of the waves hitting the beaches. Only had one stop at this beautiful nursery/cafe in anglesea for a hot chocolate and finally reached Lorne at around 1pm. Parked and walked around and took some pics.

Post workout hunger was creeping in, so looked up ratings of the local restaurants on google places and found a highly rated place called Bottle of Milk . The awesome weather and thought of food, ended up having the BOM burger

It was 2pm by the time I relished the awesome burger (skipped my no bread paleo rules this once!). A shot of my baby before we hit the road again.

Quick stop-over at Shell in Lorne to get some more RON 98 fuel for the MX-5 and she was doing great at 9L/100km (11kmpL) even with all my antics! The drive back was more fun, maybe I knew the roads now, maybe I knew my MX-5 better now. I hugged as many corners as I could, and when the B roads ended, I felt like turning and going back to Lorne! Aah well I will come back again soon. Was back home before 430pm, in time for some Saturday evening fun with my good friends!
With the 300km drive running in was now done (1006kms on odo) and I had a great drive in almost perfect weather on the awesome great ocean roads. All in all a great day!

Note - this is taken from blog at just some random musings: Lorne Run(in)

Last edited by jassi : 22nd October 2011 at 19:07.
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:09   #15
BHPian

Smile Re: My Mazda MX5 (Special Ed)

keep forgetting to take pics of the interiors - will make sure I do it after servicing this week.

Here is a travelogue i posted yesterday on tbhp, it was for a drive i did to run-in the car before the first service this week
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lorne-run.html