Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th December 2011, 20:41   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
I have pics for the salasar trip that I will share. Can someone guide me on how to change image size before posting pics on this thread.
I use Picasa's export function - quite easy to resize and you can also apply a watermark.
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well, even if you moved to Punjab, you could still do a Patiala - Mumbai drive and post the travelogue here!

For the pics, you could use the plain old MSPaint. Open each pic in MSPaint (usually double-clicking on the picture should open it in MS Paint), and choose File > Save As, and change the file type to JPEG/JPG. This will reduce the pic size considerably, and still retain enough detail.

If you have a sufficiently powerful PC you can select many images and open them together in MS Paint, and then go on saving each one to JPEG.

I have put together a small image converter utility which I am trying to attach here as a zip file. You can download it and unzip it to a folder of your choice. The utility takes either a path to a BMP file or a path to a folder which contains BMP files and converts the file(s) to png format. I could convert a ~3MB file to ~81KB using this. To use this file,
  1. Copy the file to the folder which has your BMP files (for e.g. C:\Images)
  2. Go to Start menu > Run and type "cmd".
  3. Type "cd C:\Images" to go to the images folder
  4. Type "ConvertImage C:\Images"
All the BMP images in the folder will be converted to PNG.

The tool has been developed in DotNet 3.5, so you will need to have the DotNet 3.5 framework installed on your machine.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ConvertImage.zip (2.3 KB, 31 views)
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 12:34   #33
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yet to read the log in entirety. Will do it over the weekend.
First thing - Kudos to WoW on breaking the mental barrier and travelling with a small child. I had to coax, cajole, control sometimes even coerce my wife in to taking the road route when embarking on our trips initially. While she preferred to fly or take the train, I felt a car's benefits are too many to be ignored. So what started as small trips when my baby was 3 months old, has not ended in her seeing 46000 kms of India on roads alone in the last 2 years!
And now my wife prefers the car for all the convenience it offers. So you did great on that part WoW.
Second about many members who state about safety on driving here. Yes. That particular segment is really pathetic. Though I hate to take the wrong side (which I've not done in the last 15 years or so), I find that in India every vehicle is waiting to take a short cut to get across first. When I went on my Rajasthan trip during Diwali, I simply got off at Ankleshwar, took the golden bridge. Planned my drive to accomodate a photoshoot too at the golden bridge. I didn't have to break any rule (except the photography prohibited on the bridge rule) and had the pleasure of driving through a piece of engineering marvel and historical significance.
And it simply was going to the planning phase in my case.

But when it comes to emergency, especially when travelling with young children or with ailing elders or any kind of a medical scenario, it is not imprudent to put the warning/ hazard lights and try to get through a possible opening.

Having said all this, my only word to WoW. Drive safe. Keep driving! Will read this log at leisure. All excited to see that my tribe (the ones who travel with small children) is flourishing!
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 15:49   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just finished reading the entire log. In continuation to my immediate reaction in the post above, here's what I feel in response to comments of few friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
The treatment and tone of writing of some of our friends wasn't called for, IMO my opinion. All that WoW need is appreciation and encouragement for planning and taking up such a long drive, something, they'll remember in their old days.
It is not just appreciation and encouragement that she needs. What's she has done is something what almost every new Indian mother would not even imagine. Goes to show that modern Indian women are not only matching men, but even proving to be better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_ritz View Post
Also regarding traveling with a baby half the world does it and its great fun. Am sure you would have planned adequately for the same.
Yes. I'm sure she'd have gone through her plans a million times. I had to plan a million times while taking my baby on long trips. Being a father the only work I had was to drive the car most often. The onus of taking care of every need of the baby landed squarely on my wife. So I always held special regard to my wife, for if not for her efforts, 60,000 kms in last 2 years of which 46000 kms where my daughter joined would not have happened at all. She deserves complete adulation on this journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
WoW, hats off for pulling off the entire journey I have driven with a few months old baby in the car, and trust me, I am the most accomodating driver on such occasions. I can imagine the tension you must have undergone throughout the journey.
I understand honeybee. Same with me. I've done so much of drives every since my baby was born. But WoW flattens all of us squarely. When most women rarely step outside their homes for 2 - 3 months after the delivery, WoW has planned and executed a drive from Mumbai to Patiala in just 2 months. And it is not easy for a new mother. When my wife used to sit behind, she used to cramp up if I drive for anything more than 4 - 5 hours a day. That's barely for sitting. And she used to finish washing all the feeding bottles and utensils, arranging every thing for the next day's travel, put the baby to sleep, change the nappies, feed it and what not. By the time the chores are over, it would be around 1 or 2 in the night and I used to start the next morning drive by 6 am. And my wife used to take her 40 winks when the baby is asleep in her car seat! But in WoW's case, she had to do the driving as well by herself. Not a small feat!

Quote:
Thank you gentleman :-)

Although he isnt an expert yet in managing him, but that didnt stop him from doing everything he could.
8. Above all, on a journey like this, the mindet and attitude matters the most.

If I do decide to stay in Mumbai for some time, another Mumbai patiala drive may be on the cards to bring the car back.
Well, Hats off to you again on doing this amazing journey. And kudos to your husband for pitching in with what ever was possible from his side in taking care of teh baby.
And as you rightly point out, the mindset and attitude matters the most. Add to it the physical demands on such an arduous trip for a new mother who has to nurse the baby and drive the car. This now leads to a new adage - The hand that rocks the cradle, shifts the gear too!

Jokes apart, I'd have loved to have met up with such a passionate driver, planner and performer. And missed it though you were in Mumbai. Hope when our paths cross, it would be a good coffee session at some place!

5 star from my side for an epic journey.
MX6 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 15:34   #35
BHPian

Thank you everyone!!.. I am quite honored by your encouragement and appreciation......

Thanks a ton........
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 16:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

WoW , I have been a silent reader here on your thread, and you have left me admiring you for taking this journey with a 3 month old baby!!
By no means, this is any ordinary feat. This is rather exemplary.
I just wish that your kind increases by leaps & bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
For the pics, you could use the plain old MSPaint. Open each pic in MSPaint (usually double-clicking on the picture should open it in MS Paint), and choose File > Save As, and change the file type to JPEG/JPG. This will reduce the pic size considerably, and still retain enough detail..

The tool has been developed in DotNet 3.5, so you will need to have the DotNet 3.5 framework installed on your machine.
Honeybee, all this is looks too complicated.
My advise, just go to Microsoft website and download their IMAGE RESIZER utility.
Windows XP downloads - Microsoft Windows

Install it. This tool would help you resize your pics without any visible loss of picture quality.
You can select multiple photos at one go and resize. Very handy and uncomplicated tool.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 17:27   #37
BHPian

Hers is the youngest traveller on the team bhp forums.. His name is Ethan :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-ethan1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by womanonwheels : 12th December 2011 at 17:28.
womanonwheels is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 19:31   #38
Team-BHP Support

As much as I hate not being part of the lovefest, here are some reasons why I think this endeavour was plain wrong:
  • The child was 2 months old. Travel, even on relatively comfortable means like overnight trains and short-haul flights, is not advised under 3 months. I can only imagine a bumpy roadtrip strapped in the back of a car to be sheer torture for one that young.
  • The trip was ostensibly against medical advice. The doctor said a child that young should not be on an aircraft because of pressure issues. Am *pretty* sure he would have objected to a 2000-km roadtrip, had womanonwheels asked!
  • Driving alone, over that distance, is just foolish in my book. Driver rotation from my experience is absolutely essential so that there is no undue fatigue that will directly contribute to mishaps occurring.
  • "I didn't eat heavily so that I wouldn't feel sleepy" is just about the most infantile thing I have read on this thread (and in my opinion there are plenty). A woman just a couple of months out of childbirth is still not at 100%. She (and her baby) needs care and proper nutrition.
  • A baby needs virtually *constant* attention at that age. I wonder if the parents in this case have even heard of crib deaths and the like. Would they be as sanguine putting the child through this ordeal if they had?
  • The poster herself admits that the parents' attention was almost completely focused on the child (rightly so) to the extent that they stopped monitoring tolls after a while. I am not sure this dilution of focus is in the best interests of other motorists and users of the roads they travelled on.
As a parent who has done a fair share of travelling with family in tow, I am a little appalled at the unqualified kudos that are being showered on this member, with someone even extolling her as an ideal for Indian womanhood (where's a facepalm icon when you need one?) I suppose I am the lone dissenting voice (plus the 3 people who liked my earlier post ). That's all right- I can handle a few brickbats if it means some other poor infant is spared this abuse.

Your children are precious; they are vulnerable to all kinds of injuries and infections, and as a parent, the best you can do for them is provide a safe and secure environment where they are exposed to minimum risk. A joyride across the country on national highways with all the risk factors outlined above is hardly that.

All the best, womanonwheels. If you want my advice: please book a flight on the way back for the baby and his Dad, while you drive back.
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 20:11   #39
BHPian

Thanks for the concern here.

As I discussed earlier, train or flight were absolutely out of question due to Diwali rush. Driving alone was the only way since my hubby has poor vision due to couple of accidents. The trip was necessary due to a few personal reasons that I choose not to discuss here... All I could do was to plan and prepare better...

As far as the whole concern on a woman's health post childbirth is concerned, I strongly feel it is a matter of being tuned into your body. I wouldnt have stepped out if I knew I wont be able to pull it off.. I have lived alone for 6 months out of 9 in my pregnancy and I had to because there was no choice. I have driven every single day of work because I had to. I didnt have the luxury of sitting over it and not doing anything about it.

At the end of the day, If I had to to do what I had to do, It was a choice whether to celebrate and share it with others or sulk over it..

As far as child's health was concerned, a go ahead was taken from the doctor on the same day we started our journey and all precautions were taken in planning and executing...

Nothing is wrong or right.. the way you look at it matters..... lets not judge what we dont understand 100%
womanonwheels is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 20:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nothing is wrong or right.. the way you look at it matters..... lets not judge what we dont understand 100%
Well said, WoW.
It is unfair to pass judgements on each person's situation and capabilities and I am sure a mother knows best what is good for her child and is most concerned. "Averaging" out every person is an illogical approach, each person passes his own tests.
I have been in the same situation of being criticised like WoW several times for my driving styles, but I guess in the last 27 years of driving, I know best what is good for me and I am sure WoW also does.
Having said this, your viewpoint and points are well-taken, thanks!
hvkumar is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 20:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

I agree...and that's why I was careful to use terms like "in my opinion", "from my experience", "I can only imagine" etc. in my post.

You seem to think I am judging you without understanding of the circumstances. Fair enough, but this isn't about YOU. As rude as this may sound, my concern is for the offspring of those not-so-bright souls, who, as someone else who is also following this thread keenly told me just now, "(will show) this thread to their wives and us(e) this as an argument for going on long trips with their newborn babies". Perhaps they may lack the sagacity to plan it as wonderfully as you claim you have (forgive me, but I still beg to differ, but am not going to belabour the point, which is quite obvious to someone who has read my previous 2 posts).

You did what you had to do. I will do what I have to. Good luck!

Edit: It's my point to twist as I like Am glad that your child made it through this trip safely but worry that others "inspired" by this account may not. That's all!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th December 2011 at 15:05. Reason: PM sent
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 20:35   #42
BHPian

Thank you HVK sir,

Now that you have said it, I also must mention that my driving capabilites werent inherent. I have never touched a car in the first 25 years of my life. Post marriage, I had to develop and train myself for being able to do the all the local/highway driving 100% knowing I cant jeopardize my husband's eye sight.

It has proved to be a blessing since, I drove myself to hospital while I was three hours into labor. Also, since there is no immediate or distant family in Mumbai, it was my driving that could let me have my family and friends around when I needed most...

@noopster - just saw your post... Now I am quite confused because you totally twisted the point you earlier made.

Nevermind - thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2011 at 14:56. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 21:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

@noopster : There's a fine line between lecturing and advising.

I guess as WoW said, nobody knows what the other person is capable of . Lets not pass judgement about it.
I feel your last post is particularly harsh and have accordingly reported it to the Moderators.
Fordmanchau is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 23:04   #44
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am sure a mother knows best what is good for her child and is most concerned.
I have been in the same situation of being criticised like WoW several times for my driving styles
The first statement above is one of the biggest truth that men conveniently tend to ignore! And no man ever knows what his wife undergoes while delivering a baby, or for that matter what his mother underwent to give birth to him. Before people jump on me, let me include myself in that list of No Man too.
I've interacted with a lot of research scholars. Especially the ones in neurophysiology dealing in child sleep apnea, survival skills of infants etc. I was lucky to speak to many researches in the field of genetics too. Also I've met quite some paediatricians and obstetrics.
All of them echoed one point. The mother has inbuilt mechanism to know her baby and the baby reciprocates the same. Post Partum, the mother and child still have a connection at various physiological and psychological levels that make the bond last a long long time. Maternal instincts ensures that the mother makes sure she works for her baby to be fine, given any adverse scenario.
And yes, though the flights are in pressurized chamber, doctors still advice against flying for small flights because the tympannum is still very delicate that it has become a field of research for neurophysiologist to see growth disorders due to pressure disturbances that early. So they advice against flying (especially short distance flights as longer flights let the baby adjust to the pressure variation gradually as against smaller ones) to avoid potential risk or rupture of the tympannic membrane.
And travelling in a train with prying eyes of fellow passengers (especially the lecherous ones who'd not even spare a lactating women) would be very terrible for a new mother. If people want to know how pathetic, lecherous and unaccomodative our fellow passengers have become, just walk in to the toilet of any train to see wonderful graffitti there. I've personally picked up many a fights with rowdy elements passing jeering remarks at new mothers who travel in trains with the babies.
While it is easy for us to pass remarks that flying or taking the train is the best, I found it difficult in my own case as my wife wasn't comfortable breast feeding in the train. It's a women thing.
And it helped a lot in my case because I kept my daughter outdoors since she was 4 days old. She braved sub zero temperature on her first visit to the local library when she was 10 days old. Before she turned 1 month old, she went on her first road trip to Stirling Castle with the temperature still in single digits. Before she was 2 she went on her full week trip to Leeds and nearby places!
Now she's having over 50K kms on road trips alone. And my wife enjoyed her trip with all of us after the initial apprehensions about all the travel. Incidentally while my wife was afraid whether she would be able to handle all the travel, she never doubted about our daughter's capability!

Coming to the second sentence in the quote, tell me about it. I've had my own share of detractors with whom I had a tough time. Why the hell do people only advice in India? I had to ask people not to pseudoparent me or my child. Some of them got offended. Some of them kept trying relentlessly. Sometimes even silly things like don't expose your child to lunar eclipse was a bit overwhelming to deal with. I had to argue for 2 days and finally took my mother along to show her that the eclipse is a spectacle to enjoy. The next day my daughter made my day when she pointed at ToI and said, "Appa. Lunar eclipse. Moon hide and seek".

I sincerely suggest all new parents to not underestimate the capabilities of their children. Nowadays facilities have improved a lot too. Not like earlier days. So it makes it all the more easier and pleasurable to travel with children. Take up the advice of physicians before travelling. Get yourself a nice child seat for your baby. Plan well and have back up plans and back up plans for back up plans in place. Start enjoying your life and trips. This is a very exciting phase of parenting and when approached the right way, it can yield tremendous results.

Finally, Little Ethan looks adorable. My daughter already wants to check on little Ethan! And sad to know about the accidents your husband had and about his eyesight. But then with you on the driver's seat, does he need anything else?

Edit: Adding a photo that brought back memories of travel when my child was a baby!

That's me and my little one on one cold morning in Stirling Castle. Yes, my wife was the braveheart here!
Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-stirling.jpg

Last edited by MX6 : 12th December 2011 at 23:15.
MX6 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 10:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
@noopster : There's a fine line between lecturing and advising.
It is not my intention to lecture anyone, especially someone who is not even willing to listen. WoW is so convinced that what she did is right that she is not willing to even entertain the idea that something may have gone terribly, terribly wrong and she'd have had to live with the consequences of that all her life. Fair enough- it's her life. But I couldn't, hence spoke up. If that makes me the bad guy, so be it.
Quote:
I feel your last post is particularly harsh and have accordingly reported it to the Moderators.
Why, Ford? Just because I have an alternative point of view? I sincerely hope your report is not acted on because I believe the counter-arguments also need to be on this thread so that someone reading it gets a more balanced picture.
Since my opinions are now being equated with statements advising people not to expose their babies to lunar eclipses, I think I shall make an exit with as much dignity as I can muster . Just one bit of advice to all parents intending to take their kids on extended roadtrips: the posts by WoW and MX6 have valuable pointers on how to travel with a young child: please use those well. Good luck!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote