Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th December 2011, 16:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
They are not always rear facing. My Graco came with clear instruction that I can use it as a rear facing as well as front facing. And it was clearly adviced to use it as rear facing till the baby turns 3 or 4 months (don't remember the exact reading there as I moved to the level 2 combo car seat now).
So while I took my baby in a car I used it as a rear facing. When I took her in the train, I used it as front facing!
Its actually dependent on the weight of the infant. Typically, till the age of one year, rear facing is THE safest position in a car. Yours must be a multipurpose one, with a wider range of recommended weight. But that does not mean that you can use it as a forward facing one at any given time in a car. Its a combination of the baby's weight and size that should determine whether you can move to forward facing or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Car seat - Mothercare

Wish I had taken pics - Didnt know the travelogue will get such a response :-).
Thanks for the detailed post. These are the kind of details that really matter. Regarding the response, we are inquisitive by nature So what was your tyre pressure? just kidding, by the way.

Last edited by amitoj : 13th December 2011 at 16:40. Reason: Added response to OP
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 16:49   #62
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Its actually dependent on the weight of the infant. Typically, till the age of one year, rear facing is THE safest position in a car. Yours must be a multipurpose one, with a wider range of recommended weight. But that does not mean that you can use it as a forward facing one at any given time in a car. Its a combination of the baby's weight and size that should determine whether you can move to forward facing or not.
Yes Amitoj. I know it is weight dependant. You should read the weight I've mentioned in the previous post.
And there's no till age of one year concept here. It is again weight dependant. Though most car seat manufacturers state age/ weight in their specs, the baby gets heavier, then irrespective of age we can place him or her in that and need to upgrade. When one's baby's legs get long enough and one is unable to place it rear facing in the rear seat because of those extra long legs, they automatically have to turn it around.
Another misconception is about the head that is not firm enough. When the baby is strong enough to crawl or walk with it's held held up, it can even sleep off in the car seat with the head slouched. we were worried enormously about the slouched head and somebody from Karolinska instituet of neurophysiology dispelled our doubts.
And the car seat manufacturers propose the use of front facing car seats when the baby can hold its head firmly. Atleast Graco/ mothercare states that.

BTW, you advice about the car seat is very valuable to people who are planning to take their kids on maiden trips but are unaware. I've crossed that phase already with so many drives all around. Remember, car seats are still an optional safety equipment here in India. Whereas where I lived earlier, it is the law. I bought my car seat even when my wife was in her second trimester!
Nevertheless, thanks for giving me a refresher course on all the research work I did almost 3.5 years back, and what I practised over last 2.5 years! This will be the last OT from my side on this thread. This log firmly belongs to Ethan!
MX6 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:06   #63
BHPian

Damn - I am so addicted to team bhp and my thread... Havent done any work yet. Have to go away for a meeting now... But I think I will check it on my phone.

Another question - will the team bhp application work if I have a jailbroken/unlocked phone. I bought my iphone 3gs from Australia and unlocked it in the local market..
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:15   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been following this travelogue since a while as it closely relates to me (as a father) due to the number of similar drives I have taken up since the past 22 months my daughter was born. And as a matter of fact, the drives have been always beyond 850 Kilometers or more depending on the destinations – Bangalore-Pune, Bangalore-Thane, Bangalore-Pune-Aurangabad, Thane-Rajkot etc. So, personally and as a parent who’s doing such drives with his daughter, it is indeed an effort that WoW has taken to drive all the way with the newborn.

Earlier to my daughter’s birth, I was a regular and a passionate driver (which I still am) on these circuits but after my daughter’s birth the whole approach towards these drives has changed and had made every journey in her presence more experiencing and eventful to remember.

For me, it is just not the courage of parents or more importantly the mother embarking upon such kind of drives but it’s the confidence (for those trips) which is a result of thorough preparation and planning that makes such journeys a pleasant experience. So let me clear that the confidence I am talking about is not about including the baby on such trips but the readiness part.

My daughter was little above 2 months when we first did a Bangalore-Pune-Bangalore drive. Before that, I had gone through various forums and even closely followed MX6’s log on his drive to Tirunelveli that I went through in detail and realized how helpful it was for me for my first drive with our little one. Being ready also included shorter drives for a few days to ascertain if the baby was feeling comfortable in the car seat and the car as well (I have seen many cases of nausea and motion sickness in babies on car drives). And this didn’t mean that I was trying to ape someone who had driven with his kid. I am sure, as an individual, I also felt the same way when I even thought about including our newborn for those drives what every other parent who drove thought the first time. Nobody influenced me to take up those drives but I have to admit that reading such knowledgeable posts was very helpful and a great learning too.

It also helped me decide on an appropriate car seat (GRACO), sanitation items, food items and those simple little 12V gadgets that would make the journey trouble free in a sense that we could almost rely on the car for most of tasks rather than hunting for a nearby hotel and stop over.

When we set on that first long drive, there was only one thing which was a priority above everything else – The baby on board. This meant, no sudden maneuvers – abrupt acceleration, braking, cutting lanes or changing gears. Apart from this, timelines were totally parked aside and ignored. The rule was simple - We drive only when the Baby is comfortable to and we stop whenever we think that the baby needs a break and wants to take some fresh air - Don’t ask me how anyone shall know if the baby needs a break. You as parent will learn that eventually and isn’t parenting all about these little things? I didn’t even bother if that breakfast stop lasted beyond an hour and immediately after that if I had to stop again for 15 minutes for a nappy change. Everyone had also made up their minds that if we are running too late due to slower drive or longer breaks or even if the mother is exhausted, we simply check-in to a hotel. We had with us important telephone numbers of nearby hospitals wherever we passed to our help for emergency and beyond that my father as a doctor also had no apprehensions for such undertakings and had provided us with emergency medications and relief care and guidelines. No compromise on that.

All this doesn’t mean that we were on setting a record breaking mode driving with a baby to show it to anybody. The journey that I usually took 12 hours to do started to stretch till 15-16 Hours but there was nothing to regret.

The only time my daughter and wife boarded a flight was 2 months back when I drove with them in Parallel to Gujarat with my parents. I had to reach Surat from Bangalore in a day and I never wanted my daughter and wife to be a part of it for the simple fact that I cannot force her to sit in the car for more than 15 hours and more so because I couldn’t afford longer breaks or a very slow drive. Next day I received them from Gandhinagar and for the next 10 days we all traveled by road covering various places every day doing 1800 kms till they again boarded a flight back to Bangalore from Ahmedabad.

Now my daughter is 22 months old and I will have to upgrade her car seat to an appropriate one to suit her weight/body (and not the age) covering all safety aspects for the rest of my drives.

I felt I somehow belong to this part of the crowd for having taken up so many drives with my little one and I couldn’t have ignored this by not sharing my bit. It has been wonderful 22 months so far and I am sure will continue to be since my daughter jumps to joy whenever she knows we are heading out by the car.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th December 2011 at 17:20.
paragsachania is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:17   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another question - will the team bhp application work if I have a jailbroken/unlocked phone. I bought my iphone 3gs from Australia and unlocked it in the local market..
I think the app is independent of whether the phone is legal or jailbroken.
If everything else is working fine, then surely will the TBHP app too.
Have fun!

Edit: forgot to add, have been waiting for the pics.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 13th December 2011 at 17:23.
Fordmanchau is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:33   #66
BHPian

The app is being downloaded as I write.. Thanks a ton..

BTW love your signature line

@paragsachania - thanks for the wonderful post. I am sure all new parents will benefit from your post and would be parents will be encouraged to conitnue the drives.
womanonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:11   #67
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure all new parents will benefit from your post and would be parents will be encouraged to conitnue the drives.
Ok. Need to put an advisory here.
Would be mother. Strictly no seat where airbag kicks in to action during 1st and 3rd trimester. Better avoided in second trimester too. Seatbelts are an absolute must no matter how cumbersome they may "feel" like.
Also ensure that you don't keep your legs hanging for long which will lead to fluid accumulation, swelling, dvt syndromes.
Driving is fine. I know of cases of pregnant women who drove to hospital themselves when the amniotic sac ruptured. But strictly no airbags and strictly yes seat belts.

Guess we should start a new thread on travel advisory with expectant mothers, new mothers and special beings that just graced mother earth!

On the other end of the spectrum, how about travel advisory for very elderly people. As I see it from one of the top threads, a 81 year old has spent 24 days in Ladakh area in extreme weather and altitude.

How did Mr. HVKumar handle such a scenario?
MX6 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:49   #68
Team-BHP Support

I keep turning up like a bad penny don't I?

First of all, an unqualified apology for my insensitive comments in a previous post. A big thank you to Fordmanchau for pointing it out in a sensible and calm manner. And a bigger thanks to WoW for accepting my personal apology (via PM) with grace. You is all good peoples.

MX6- I wasn't being sarcastic when I urged fellow members to heed the advice in your and WoW's posts (and now Parag's as well). In all honesty, I am still not convinced that taking an infant on an extended roadtrip is advisable. But I do accept now that it is a personal choice and having made it, your pointers and tips will go a long way in making the journey safer for the young one.

I am by nature risk-averse and go to extreme lengths to avoid even the semblance of discomfort or inconvenience especially when my family is concerned. Hence my knee-jerk reaction was to rail against this travelogue as misguided and potentially dangerous to those it may inspire. But upon thinking it over, it seems better to have people who have actually been through the experience talk about it and point out potential pitfalls and "best practices" (for want of a better term) so that everyone else can benefit from it.

It still doesn't mean that I will ever expose my child to such risk (as I perceive it). We did our first roadtrip (a four hour drive into the hills) with my little one when she was all of ten months old. It went off without a hitch, thanks to some good planning beforehand. But personally I don't think I could have pulled it off if she'd been any younger.

For what its worth, the experts seem to agree with the popular sentiment here. Here's a useful link:Is a long car trip with a newborn safe? - iVillage

Cheers
Noops
noopster is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 19:03   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

First of all, an unqualified apology for my insensitive comments in a previous post. A big thank you to Fordmanchau for pointing it out in a sensible and calm manner. And a bigger thanks to WoW for accepting my personal apology (via PM) with grace. You is all good peoples.

MX6- I wasn't being sarcastic when I urged fellow members to heed the advice in your and WoW's posts (and now Parag's as well). In all honesty, I am still not convinced that taking an infant on an extended roadtrip is advisable. But I do accept now that it is a personal choice and having made it, your pointers and tips will go a long way in making the journey safer for the young one.

I am by nature risk-averse and go to extreme lengths to avoid even the semblance of discomfort or inconvenience especially when my family is concerned. Hence my knee-jerk reaction was to rail against this travelogue as misguided and potentially dangerous to those it may inspire. But upon thinking it over, it seems better to have people who have actually been through the experience talk about it and point out potential pitfalls and "best practices" (for want of a better term) so that everyone else can benefit from it.

It still doesn't mean that I will ever expose my child to such risk (as I perceive it). We did our first roadtrip (a four hour drive into the hills) with my little one when she was all of ten months old. It went off without a hitch, thanks to some good planning beforehand. But personally I don't think I could have pulled it off if she'd been any younger.

For what its worth, the experts seem to agree with the popular sentiment here. Here's a useful link:Is a long car trip with a newborn safe? - iVillage

Cheers
Noops
noopster - thanks for your post and PM. I followed the link and it seems to be in agreement with my belief of travelling being much easier with younger infants. They are less mobile and the moving sensation puts them to sleep for longer..

So happy parenting and happy driving :-)
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Romeo
folks, finally after reading the interesting travelogue (rather debate) lets accept that everyone has their point of view and there has been addition of value by both sides in the debate. And Irish has rightly given the options as well
just to end ..Humility is understanding reality with humanity
Completely agree. Tbhp spirit is indeed truly shown where both sides of the 'same' coin are presented very well. While I agree to the case in point of WoW where she didnt have much option, I also agree to noopster's point of view on not patronising and subsequently generalising the case.
rahul_sinha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 10:54   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For me, it is just not the courage of parents or more importantly the mother embarking upon such kind of drives but it’s the confidence (for those trips) which is a result of thorough preparation and planning that makes such journeys a pleasant experience.

When we set on that first long drive, there was only one thing which was a priority above everything else – The baby on board. This meant, no sudden maneuvers – abrupt acceleration, braking, cutting lanes or changing gears. Apart from this, timelines were totally parked aside and ignored. The rule was simple - We drive only when the Baby is comfortable to and we stop whenever we think that the baby needs a break and wants to take some fresh air - Don’t ask me how anyone shall know if the baby needs a break. You as parent will learn that eventually and isn’t parenting all about these little things?
+1 Planning, preparation and driving to enjoy with the baby are the most important things IMO. And WoW also pointed out these things so many times in her posts.

I remember my first trip with my 3 month old son - Bangalore - Ahmedabad - Bangalore for his first Holi. And before he completed 10 months, we did another Bangalore - Ahmedabad - Bangalore trip for his first Diwali. He is now 4 years old and just a month back I completed a beautiful fall trip with a new addition to the family - my 2nd son who is 6 months old.

@WoW: I have to say this, that you are something; I am really humbled. I am impressed with the way you managed the comments on this thread. Folks may apologize or can be sarcastic about their habits, but many questions they raised were not just irrelevant but also out of line. I am not sure why this thread evoked such responses.

Quote:
Thank you gentleman :-)
I have pics for the salasar trip that I will share.
Ethan is looking handsome. I hope you are still planning to share the pictures from your Salasar trip. Please do share them.

Last edited by akbaree : 14th December 2011 at 10:58.
akbaree is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 13:00   #72
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is indeed very brave and sweet on your part to send out an apology and also put that up here. Shows your attitude.
My turn to apologise for misconstruing your statement as may be sarcastic.
Let me clarify here that my posts were not aimed at proving anyone wrong. It was just an effort to show to the world that I live by an adage in Tamil. Yaan petra inbam peruga ivvaiyyagam - Let the world also get the same happiness that I've received!

We have not had things smooth while travelling with the baby. Reading what new.novice stated about the medical condition of his baby (assumings things are better now), it reminds my own trials and tribulations of travelling with a child who was extremely lactose intolerant. We couldn't feed her anything till she turned almost 9 months other than mother's milk. No supplements, no fruits, no juice, no nothing. And any thing alien in the water or by chance some thing she puts in her mouth would lead to violent reactions resulting in rashes all over her body and high temperature. And we had to slowly introduce her to various food items in a controlled way in stages. And travelling north is still a lot of planning for us as she's still not in to wheat! But the trips have been going on.
And as I mentioned, if man has done, then man can do. Hope someday, you too evade all the risks by great planning and start enjoying the trips. Because, Yaan petra inbam, peruga ivvaiyyagam!

Cheers.
MX6 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
+1 Planning, preparation and driving to enjoy with the baby are the most important things IMO. And WoW also pointed out these things so many times in her posts.

I remember my first trip with my 3 month old son - Bangalore - Ahmedabad - Bangalore for his first Holi. And before he completed 10 months, we did another Bangalore - Ahmedabad - Bangalore trip for his first Diwali. He is now 4 years old and just a month back I completed a beautiful fall trip with a new addition to the family - my 2nd son who is 6 months old.

@WoW: I have to say this, that you are something; I am really humbled. I am impressed with the way you managed the comments on this thread. Folks may apologize or can be sarcastic about their habits, but many questions they raised were not just irrelevant but also out of line. I am not sure why this thread evoked such responses.

Ethan is looking handsome. I hope you are still planning to share the pictures from your Salasar trip. Please do share them.

Thanks to you and other BHPians for all the encouragement that I have had on this thread. My intention of sharing the travelogue was to share my story and learn from others. The idea was never to prove a point. Some of us may had a different view point, I respect that. And finally now I look at this thread, I am quite happy that everyone is appreciating the different opinions expressed here. Also, lot of good ideas have come out on travelling with infants. We can really rename this thread as Irish earlier suggested.

Pics will get posted on the weekend.. Weekdays are crazy with juggling baby and work...
womanonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:23   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire

Quote:
BTW love your signature line
Thank you Ma'm!!

Quote:
First of all, an unqualified apology for my insensitive comments in a previous post. A big thank you to Fordmanchau for pointing it out in a sensible and calm manner. And a bigger thanks to WoW for accepting my personal apology (via PM) with grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
It is indeed very brave and sweet on your part to send out an apology and also put that up here. Shows your attitude.
Okay, I must say, I had the exact words in my mind, what MX6 wrote when I read Noop's post last night.
It's very brave of you man and I'll go one step ahead and say I love you bro, but hey I'm not gay!!
So it seems everyone is happy now and at peace. Cheers to everyone!!

@WoW: your thread sure got some attention, and please don't let it wane. Waiting for weekend to see some more pics!!
Fordmanchau is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 16:07   #75
BHPian

As promised, here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-dsc01064.jpg  

Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-dsc01092.jpg  

Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-dsc01175.jpg  

Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-dsc01243.jpg  

Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-dsc01246.jpg  

Mumbai - Hisar - Patiala in my Swift Dzire-dsc01250.jpg