Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th August 2013, 02:21   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Horsley Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
whats the fun of riding a bike on smooth roads?
Thanks dass, riding down on the busa so roads do matter a bit, I did go to devarayanadurga, lepakshi and yelagiri in recent times and those roads were do able on this bike being a sports tourer.....

Also the pack riding along has few Harley's FZ and CBR

you still suggest its a do able ride knowing the additional info...

Last edited by Harish.Krovvidi : 9th August 2013 at 02:22. Reason: Wrong simile used
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2013, 02:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
Thanks dass, riding down on the busa so roads do matter a bit, I did go to devarayanadurga, lepakshi and yelagiri in recent times and those roads were do able on this bike being a sports tourer.....

Also the pack riding along has few Harley's FZ and CBR

you still suggest its a do able ride knowing the additional info...
You got me with this buddy... Though I am still inclined to say these roads are doable on the bikes you mention, I would like for others who have taken the road recently to comment. This additional information, does change the equation a bit, doesn't it?
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 13:27   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Though I am still inclined to say these roads are doable on the bikes you mention, I would like for others who have taken the road recently to comment.
Thanks Dass - skipping the Horsely hills this weekend as just did the BLR-HYD-BLR 1276 km in 24 hours 14th& 15th Aug -

hands still numb...
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 16:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harish.Krovvidi View Post
Thanks Dass - skipping the Horsely hills this weekend as just did the BLR-HYD-BLR 1276 km in 24 hours 14th& 15th Aug -

hands still numb...
Wow.. thats a lot of riding in a day.. i am sure some other parts of the body also must be numb by now
A hot water bath, some chilled liquids and a good movie will help you back on the saddle faster.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 17:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Bumping up an old thread. Has anyone travelled this route in the recent past?

We are coming up with a ride to Horsley Hills on Sunday and have two routes to choose from,

1. through Madanpalle
2. through chintamani.

any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Shubz
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 18:43   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
We are coming up with a ride to Horsley Hills on Sunday and have two routes to choose from,

1. through Madanpalle
2. through chintamani.
Instead of Chintamani, you can also do :

Kolar-Srinivaspur-Madanapalle. You get to use the 4-lane as well.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 18:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead of Chintamani, you can also do :

Kolar-Srinivaspur-Madanapalle. You get to use the 4-lane as well.
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please elaborate on this route?

How does one reach Srinivaspur?
After Madanpalle - what next?
How are the roads?
Some riders are not used to bad roads so asking all these questions.

Cheers
Shubz
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 19:01   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Could you please elaborate on this route?

How does one reach Srinivaspur?
After Madanpalle - what next?
How are the roads?
Some riders are not used to bad roads so asking all these questions.

Cheers
Shubz
I have not done the road myself. But I did drive Mulbagal-Srinvaspur-Chikkaballapur along the NH234.

Over all the roads were quite good in that region.

From Madanapalle, take the road to kadiri. As you can see in Google its about 30km. NH205 is pretty decent for road conditions as far as I am aware of. The turning to Horseley hills is about 20 km from Madanapalle.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 16:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

Folks, planning for a quick trip to Horsley Hills over the week end. I start from South East part of Bangalore city. I see there are multiple routes possible:-
1. Bangalore->Hoskote->Poojaramanahalli (before Kolar)->Nelavagilu (skirting Chintamani town)->Madanapalle->Horsley Hills.
2. Bangalore->Hoskote->Poojaramanahalli (before Kolar)->Nelavagilu (skirting Chintamani town)->Gownipalli->Horsley Hills
3. Bangalore->Hoskote->Kolar->Palamaneru->Madanapalle->Horsley Hills (this seems to maily on NH).

Which option is the best? I prefer a relaxed drive, enjoying nature (as I have nothing much to do in Horsley Hills any way).

I feel it is better to carry some sort of food/snacks, as good hotels may not be there on the way I take (except on NH)?
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 16:19   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I feel it is better to carry some sort of food/snacks, as good hotels may not be there on the way I take (except on NH)?
There are two options:

1. Exit Nh4 at Hoskote and take what Google gives. The SH to Madanapalle.
2. Go till Kolar on 4-lane and then take the SH to Srinivaspur and there on to meet the Hoskote-Madanapalle SH.

Option can you something to eat in Kolar.

Given the two option, I would suggest you carry food and take the Hoskote SH.

PS: Please note, I think its better to go to Madanapalle and then take the road to Horseley hills. Dont know the other route.

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2015 at 16:22.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 16:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1. Exit Nh4 at Hoskote and take what Google gives. The SH to Madanapalle.
How is this route in general? Is it a decent state highway? This is what Google threw up when I just gave a start point & end point based search. The distance/time taken also seems to be less.

Quote:
2. Go till Kolar on 4-lane and then take the SH to Srinivaspur and there on to meet the Hoskote-Madanapalle SH.
Okay. Perhaps I can give it a try when coming back?

Thanks for the tips. So I guess, if I can get some sandwiches etc. ready, then I can take the state highway (Opt #1), and in worst case try getting some food from Madanapalle. And in case, that is not possible try the Kolar, Srinivaspura route.
sachinpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 16:51   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is this route in general? Is it a decent state highway? This is what Google threw up when I just gave a start point & end point based search. The distance/time taken also seems to be less.

In general the state highways in these parts of towns are good. Just that you cant find good hotels along these ways.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 11:05   #88
Senior - BHPian

Finally made a quick trip to Horsley Hills this week end. Took the Old Madras Road->Hoskote fly over->Poojramanahalli->Chintamani Rd.->Nandhagudi->Rayalpadu->Madanapalle route. On Map My India device, I had plotted even the mid-way points so that the device does not take me for a ride through some interior villages. I first did a basic search in Google Maps, noted down all the important turning points and major towns and fed them into the MapMyIndia Device.

Even the well planned route will have some problems. From Hoskote (below the road over bridge), ideally a left turn can be taken to the Hoskote-Chintamani road. At present some road work is going on, so the road is not that great from Hoskote to around 7kms towards Chintamani. The Poojramanahalli route is a very narrow one, going through some thinly populated area and Hallis. But thanks to this move, I could avoid the bad part of the Hoskote-Chintamani road.

The state highways are pretty much good, did not find any major stretch of bad roads. Again the practise of placing unmarked speed brakers are there, and this tradition found in Karnataka, seems to be appreciated in Andhra Pradesh as well. They too have unmarked speed brakers. The state highways do cross some small towns like Nandhagudi, but did not get into major traffic blocks etc. Traffic is much more high on the Madanapalle-Kadiri road, and slow moving trucks and buses brings down the speed of other vehicles as well. But soon, we had to take a deviation to the left to go towards Horsley Hills.

NOTE: There is a point at which the newly laid Broad Gauge railway line crosses the state highway, some where near Chintamani. The road goes under the railway bridge. Here the road is in a severe bad condition, with some big craters.

My review of Horsley Hills @ Trip Advisor
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 21:54   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Finally made a quick trip to Horsley Hills this week end. Took the Old Madras Road->Hoskote fly over->Poojramanahalli->Chintamani Rd.->Nandhagudi->Rayalpadu->Madanapalle route. On Map My India device, I had plotted even the mid-way points so that the device does not take me for a ride through some interior villages. I first did a basic search in Google Maps, noted down all the important turning points and major towns and fed them into the MapMyIndia Device.
My review of Horsley Hills @ Trip Advisor
Can you please provide a G-maps link to your route and mark the bad stretches if possible. Also, do you recommend HH as a day outing destination from Bangalore (with family) or a one-nighter?
ankan.m.blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr
Can you please provide a G-maps link to your route and mark the bad stretches if possible.
The bad stretch was near Chintamani, where there is a rail over road bridge. But this again may have all changed by now. I made this trip nearly four months back.
Google Maps link - KR Puram to Horsley Hills

Quote:
Also, do you recommend HH as a day outing destination from Bangalore (with family) or a one-nighter?
Ideally a day outing is sufficient. There is nothing really much to see in Horsley Hills as such. But if you want a more relaxed outing, and also want to watch the sunset and sun rise from the hills etc., then make it a one-nighter. It may also reduce the stress of driving (especially if you are the only driver). But Horsley Hills would be absolutely a "one night stand" . There is nothing to do there which requires a stay of more than 24 hours.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote