Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th November 2011, 11:29   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Rajasthan on self drive from Calcutta

a beautiful travelogue Sudiptoda. Equally stunning pictures and little anecdotes make it an even more wonderful read.

regards
novice_alto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 12:48   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Fantastic, brilliant presentation. Shall keep an eye on the entire travelogue. Can you please post the route/time for the distance covered. Photos are excellent 5*
Awesome is an understatement for the quality of the photographs.

Also some where you mentioned you do not use highway fuel but something else- did not understand, could clarify ? This is a problem faced by many of us, so would be useful to know this.

Last edited by subbarp : 12th November 2011 at 12:55. Reason: lens details are already answered
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 22:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for your appreciation. Mr Sinha, Alto and Subha. Regarding highway fuel quality - I had once faced immense problem during my Bhutan trip (there is a travelogue here). Later in Calcutta we found a few litres of water in the tank which affected the pulling strength of the car in the mountains.
This time, therefore, I used a fuel additive called System G, which is manufactured by a German company called Ifftex and available with petrol pumps. Every time you add petrol (for diesel vehicles I think it is called System D) you can add 1 ml of that additive per litre of petrol. I did that during this trip and whether because of that or what I don't know but this time I didn't face any problem.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 23:06   #64
BHPian

Hi everybody
Years back a padmini taxi driver in Baroda had recommended that i add 100ml of engine oil to about 20L of petrol.Last year in Bharuch the petrol pump attendant also suggested the same.The chevy service centre people do not recommend adding any thing.Could somebody throw more light on this matter with special ref to system G.
Thanks and regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 23:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

When Opel Astra was first launched in India, adding Iftex (or is it Ifftex) was a part of the recommended thing. In fact they used to refuse warranty claim on the engine if you had not used Iftex. Ask any first generation Opel Astra owner. It is strange but true. Several customers had filed cases against them for this but they said the Indian fuel quality is so pathetic they have to do it. I used to be a journalist with The Economic Times back then and wrote a story on this !!!
Old 13th November 2011, 17:19   #66
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Could somebody throw more light on this matter with special ref to system G.
Thanks and regards
Don't want to go OT on this fantastic thread. I've been using System G since the last 60,000 kms of driving. My car's performance is better, got slightly higher mileage, noticed that the engine was smoother. I use System G not only while on long drives or tanking up from highway pumps, but also on regular basis. I'd suggest you try it too (available in BPCL pumps).
For more reading, check out this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-thread.html
Sudipto,
Amazing tower there at Chittorgarh. Now I feel like going back again to Udaipur, this time covering Kumbalgarh and Chittorgarh. Rajasthan requires a long vacation to cover!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 13:38   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Rajasthan requires a long vacation to cover!
Rajasthan is more than 10 per cent of the country in terms of area. It is indeed impossible to cover all of it in one short vacation. That's why we left the desert sector of Jaisalmer and Bikaner etc completely out this time and concentrated more on the south.
There will be a next time when I intend to spend more time in Jaipur, Jaisalmer and Bikaner.
After this another wildlife tour has to be organised for Ranthambhore and Bharatpur.
Old 14th November 2011, 16:41   #68
Team-BHP Support

A precise and crisp report Sudipto. Loved reading it with those nice captures to enhance it. Rajasthan is indeed a large area to cover in short time. Vast landscapes need enough time to do justice.

Having said that, looked like you wanted to concentrate only on your new love - bird photography.

Great captures there!
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 17:18   #69
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Rajasthan on self drive from Calcutta

Indeed superb travelogue Sudipto Da. I've read almost all the travelogues of yours and its been a pleasure. No wonder this thread has 5 star ratings. One thing which irks me is not able to meet up guys like you and form a sustainable team to venture more into such kind of trips! I think it always helps if a group of people travel together! Although its quite difficult to match up leaves, timings etc, but we can try. Do share your thought on that! I'm currently not in India, but will be returning back sometime in December '11 or January '12, so if you are planning something please let me know, I'd live to join. I think it might be a good time for such a trip.

Your bird shots are excellent! I love photography and is inspired a lot from your photographs!

I like such road trips a lot! In fact for the last few years I've not been anywhere in train. But reading your venture into Rajasthan from Kolkata has surely kindled the fire in me once again. I'm dying to return home and touch my car!

I 've made trips to Puri, Vizag and recently (2010) I've been to Northbengal, though I've never faced any issues on the road, I feel much safer when travelling with someone.

Looking forward to seeing you and sharing some road space with you soon.
arindam_xeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 11:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Rudrada, thanks a tonne. Encouragement from you means a lot to us. Arindam - you are most welcome to join us during our trip but there are a few problems. A. I don't know when we will do our next trip. B. We plan the destination and do the research on the route but the precise date is not known well in advance. Also, we don't book any hotel in advance. C. We keep the plan flexible and make last moment changes. For example, this time Osian was a new addition that we decided on the road from K'garh to Jodhpur.

I think you have to just start the journey and then things will fall in place and take care of themselves. Nowhere in India can you get so badly stuck that there is no alternative to come out of it. As far as I am concerned I know only how to change a flat tyre. Other than that my knowledge about things under the bonnet or under the body is extremely limited. I barely know how to pull the bonnet up and pour wiping fluid.

Touchwood so far the car has not put me down badly ever. If you are confident about the car then just go out. Initially plan only destinations that are around the 4-laned highways. Once you do a few and feel more confident about your car then start planning destinations that are off the 4-lane roads. Chances of anything major happening on the 4-laned roads are much less.

Only once did I have a problem with my silencer in Chilepota forest. It was repaired by a local mechanic in Madarihat. I could afford not to do anything about it and come home with a noisy silencer.

Keep good contact with your service station manager. I give him occasional gifts of small things and he is available for me 24x7 for telephonic assistance. He gives me a lot of confidence while on the road. For example: "hey Shyamal. I see water dripping from under the body. What's wrong" "is it from the front left hand side?" "yes, yes, yes" "just don't worry about it. It's because your AC was on for a long time" "oh, ok thanks." This type of conversation between him and me is quite common.
Old 15th November 2011, 22:27   #71
BHPian

Sudipto Da, yes you are correct, and thanks a lot for welcoming me to travel with you. We have a lot of freedom while travelling with a car, just pack and leave. I have started a thread as an initiative for a group travel. Please check that thread and put your comments if a few like minded people can join together.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2577677 (Anyone interested for a road trip from Kolkata ??)

There would be times when one would like to spend some time with just his own family. But, barring those times we can try to get together and each time there would be some number of people who can join in if not all.
arindam_xeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 00:52   #72
BHPian

[quote=arindam_xeta;2579123]Sudipto Da, yes you are correct, and thanks a lot for welcoming me to travel with you. We have a lot of freedom while travelling with a car, just pack and leave.
Arindam hi
Not only the freedom to go to places as per your desire but also the freedom to carry a lot more baggage .This is a big boon when you have to travel from warm places to cold places.When travelling I buy water by the carton or carry my evening snacks and my morning breakfast which consists of different varieties of biscuits
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 12:10   #73
BHPian

Sudiptoda, awesome travelogue, well written, extremely well photographed and planned trip.

Little I understood from your photographs, you have a wonderful tele-lens( probably L series lenses from Canon) and not so good wide angle lens .

The photographs truly reflects your love for birds and photography.
dip27in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

I have explained my gear in one of the posts already but here I go again. Yes, I have a 400 mm F5.6 for birding. That's an L lens. That stays on the 7D. I have a Tokina 11-16 mm and a Tamron 90 mm. Some of the shots like the Bundi palace from a distance etc are taken with the kit lens 18-55 which is pretty awful. I use these lenses on a 450D body ;-)
These first two lenses I mentioned are not bad optically but not really suited for travel photography.
My wish list includes a 24-105. That's an L and ideally suited for an all purpose role.
One thing about L is it's very addictive.
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:17   #75
BHPian

Very nice travelogue and Amazing pics of Kumbhalgarh. As from you post it seems that stay @ Kumbhalgarh was arranged in forest guest house. If it is open for public than would like to know there contact details so that I can arrange my stay there. My plan is as in link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2590815 (Road trip : Mumbai to Rajasthan)

Thanks in advance
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote