Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 11th November 2011, 00:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Anywhere I Roam- The Metallica Travelogue

Thanks very much everyone who stopped by and commented! Glad you liked it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Questions, Questions Questions!

Q1. Most important Q of all, get your keyboard player to answer this Q, if you still don't know; where is the WORLD's BEST PIZZA? Where can I get it?

Q2. How long before I get the answer to Q1
Not too long apparently. We did have a slice each of the WBP (available at the Shanthi Sagar cafe you see pictured above). The only grouse I had with it was that it was vegetarian!
Quote:
Q3. The apartment looks fantabulous! How much did you pay for it? How do you find such apartments (for rent) in Bglr?
We found it through our well travelled friend who knew someone who knew someone who had stayed there before. 11K per night for a 6 bedroom with twin beds each, breakfast included. Extra mattresses and extra breakfasts at a nominal cost. It came to about 1700 per head for the 2-night stay, which is damned decent.
Quote:
Q4. If one goes to Hampi, is everything (to see) within close range?
Yup. In fact you don't even have to cross the river, it's all on the near side. You can stay at Hospet which has very decent 3* hotels like Malligi or you can do a day trip (reach early, though).
The entire main ruins takes a few hours to cover. There is also a temple of some sort a little away (on the road towards Hospet) which was highly recommended but we didn't have time for.
Quote:
Q5. (General Q) Why do you (& a lot more junta on tbhp) hide your number plate? It's not like one is hiding his/her age or figure statistics?!!
It's a privacy thing, Mr. 408 . Not that it matters really because a lot of Punekars have seen my baby and know her call sign!
Quote:
Q6. This is Bengaluruu - the land of vadai & filter coffee! Where are the food pics?!!
No vadai or filter coffee this trip. We couldn't even manage to grab the Koshy's breakfast or appam-ishtew at Coconut Grove that our Mallu drummer and Mangalorean me were dreaming about all the way there. The trip was surprisingly hectic, and a large proportion of our diet was liquid .

Quote:
Q7. I'm hooked. When can I expect the next installment?
You mean the one with the concert write-up? Meh you can get that by googling Metallica show 30 October Bangalore! This stuff however you will NOT find anywhere else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Any break-down details about hotels, petrol cost, tolls, roads would be nice!
Didn't really keep a tab on tolls, even though I collected all the receipts. Someone said the total between Mumbai and Bangalore is about 800, which should make Pune-Blr around 600-odd.
The Hampi hotel (Gouthami) was 300/- per double room- we need 6 of those. Food and beverages on actuals, quite reasonable too.
The serviced apartment details I can PM you if interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Did you really have pizza at 4:30AM?? .
I had a nibble of it. Can't eat that early in the day! My poison was the latte with the generous dollop of chocolate on top (not much of a coffee person but needed the kick first thing!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is exactly what road trips with fellow metal-heads are made of!
You know what I'm talking about bro! \m/
Quote:
I often come across articles on the greatest driving roads of the world, and little do people know, that some of these roads in India could feature in these articles, but somehow they don't!
You bet. The bikers in particular couldn't stop raving about the state highway from Hospet to Chitradurga. It was surreal- like scenes from every album cover ever designed all around us.

Quote:
I'm assuming that there is more to come?
The return trip, which was more leisurely and afforded us the opportunity to take some nice snaps together, since the bikers were riding with us.

The actual concert we weren't allowed to carry in cameras (at least that's what it said on the pass, but we so easily could've). I would however like to recount the Metallica experience in my own words, probably by this weekend!

General helpful hint: nothing like a long roadtrip with friends/loved ones to recharge your batteries and cement those relationships!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 01:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Not too long apparently. We did have a slice each of the WBP (available at the Shanthi Sagar cafe you see pictured above). The only grouse I had with it was that it was vegetarian!
Hmmm - gotta do a trip there soon - no issues for me on the veggie part!

Quote:
We found it through our well travelled friend who knew someone who knew someone who had stayed there before. 11K per night for a 6 bedroom with twin beds each, breakfast included. Extra mattresses and extra breakfasts at a nominal cost. It came to about 1700 per head for the 2-night stay, which is damned decent.
For such an acco, that's more than worth it! Plus with friends, I doubt it could have got any better

Quote:
It's a privacy thing, Mr. 408 . Not that it matters really because a lot of Punekars have seen my baby and know her call sign!
Lol. Surprisingly I don't (know your baby's call sign). Always keep looking at every white Vento in Hinjewadi wondering if turns out to be yours or Subodh's.

Quote:
You mean the one with the concert write-up?
Oh no, that's the last of my interests - got enough friends who attended it and now feel its their most important duty of their life to explain in detail each and every moment of their concert to the poor souls (like me ) who went to the Ggn fiasco. It's the road trip I'm waiting for.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please refrain from mention of alcohol, even in indirect ways. Read the forum rules before proceeding further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 14th November 2011 at 17:26. Reason: suggestive terms for alcohol ("liquid diet") is not allowed.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:49   #18
Team-BHP Support

Random Post on some "key learnings" from the trip
  1. Bikers carry extra cables! The Avenger's accelerator cable snapped minutes before they were due to start off from Pune. Since it was early morning they had to wait till shops opened (plus it Diwali time!) get the new cable installed, test it and only then leave.
  2. Bikers (and even car drivers not used to long distances) don't get fooled into believing you can cover humungous distances without breaks and overnight stops. Things go wrong. Toll gates get overcrowded, someone needs an unexpected bio break, the scenery gets too picturesque etc. etc. I reccomend planning around 50kmph including breaks. So in a day of driving 8 hours you should cover 400 km and so on.
  3. Planning is everything. We had been planning this to the last T for months before embarking on the journey. Believe me it helped.
  4. On NH4/GQ, a steady clip of around 100 kmph is doable. But travelling in and out of towns and cities, state highways, roads under construction, morons coming the wrong way etc. all add to travel time like anything.
  5. Ironically the bikers were able to maintain a higher AVERAGE speed than the cars most of the way. Though peak speed is no comparison, it's the slowing down to almost dead halts (mostly due to reasons listed above) that kills the average speed
  6. Driving in downtown Bangalore is just not worth it. We kept the cars and bikes safely parked in the apartment lot and wandered about either on foot (Church Street and Brigade Rd were walking distance) or in ricks,easily available.
  7. I still had some 3000 km to my first service at the time of starting Consulted VW Service and they suggested a paid "general check-up" to ensure nothing fell off, all fluids etc. topped up before embarking on the trip. billed me 150/- plus taxes. Small price for peace of mind, I say!
  8. Discovered some things about my Vento's 1.6 litre engine: you CANNOT rush it. It will take its time to go from 0 to 100. Perfect highway cruiser it is, though- on several long stretches of NH4, was just purring away contentedly.Hates to be stopped suddenly. Attacks bad stretches with aplomb. Handles curves and twisties like on rails. And surprisingly not a peep from the back seat. There were packed in there, 3 abreast and seemed to be having a ball.

Like this
Attached Thumbnails
Anywhere I Roam- The Metallica Travelogue-dsc04468.jpg  

Last edited by noopster : 11th November 2011 at 17:11.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 22:22   #19
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At one point the Tungabhadra reservoir rises up as you turn a bend in the road and it stretches out as far as the eye can see- it's a sight to behold!
Yes it is. I have lost the pictures of Tungabadhra dam that we had taken, but I vividly remember that the vastness was breath-taking. It hit you as you dont expect anything so spectacular. Sometime I wonder how we ever built it.

It was also the place where I ever spotted a Maybach.

Quote:
Don't ask what that lot was doing in there lol
Ok wont. But I thought it was a general summary.

Last edited by dot : 11th November 2011 at 22:25.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 01:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous TL Noops , thanks for sharing ! Enjoyed it even more since its about your drive to my favourite city
BTW, I have realised how much hard work a TL is .. so I have officially given up on trying my hand at it
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 04:02   #21
BHPian

Nice travelogue. Reminds me of my own journey to Metallica. We were about 30 people from Hyderabad going to the concert. 2 cars with 8 people came on board. The rest of the people were in train as we did not have enough cars to come.

The saddest part of our trip was, due to limited number of cars we had, we had to split in bangalore to reach the concert. Some of us reached a bit late and we could not contact the other people before the concert. I guess there were some jammers there. So no cell phone connectivity inside. So the whole concert we watched in two groups.

The other day they showed the concert on VH1 and watched the whole damn thing again...

Now one question: Are you coming to the Oktoberfest in Bangalore? Poets of the fall is coming tomorrow and I m not going to miss it.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 12th November 2011 at 04:04.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 09:06   #22
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Random Post on some "key learnings" from the trip
  1. Bikers (and even car drivers not used to long distances) don't get fooled into believing you can cover humungous distances without breaks and overnight stops. Things go wrong. Toll gates get overcrowded, someone needs an unexpected bio break, the scenery gets too picturesque etc. etc. I reccomend planning around 50kmph including breaks. So in a day of driving 8 hours you should cover 400 km and so on.
  2. Planning is everything. We had been planning this to the last T for months before embarking on the journey. Believe me it helped.
  3. Ironically the bikers were able to maintain a higher AVERAGE speed than the cars most of the way. Though peak speed is no comparison, it's the slowing down to almost dead halts (mostly due to reasons listed above) that kills the average speed
These are perfect observations. My own experience is very similar. Getting more than 50kmph as average, needs planning-attention to times when you pass some specific choked-up stretches.

Quote:
  1. Discovered some things about my Vento's 1.6 litre engine: you CANNOT rush it. It will take its time to go from 0 to 100.
I believe its got to do with the automatic gearbox more than the engine itself. What's your take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Fabulous TL Noops , thanks for sharing ! Enjoyed it even more since its about your drive to my favourite city
BTW, I have realised how much hard work a TL is .. so I have officially given up on trying my hand at it
That's true. When I wrote my last log, selecting and processing the pictures for one post and then weaving a narration around it, took around 2 hours per post. It took me more than 10 calendar days to complete the travelogue for a trip that was one and half day long!

God forbid, if I go to Leh, I would take me one year after returning to complete the travelogue :-)

My family started hating me while I was completing the travelogue as I was always in front of the PC.

Last edited by SDP : 12th November 2011 at 09:14.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 09:44   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Nice travelogue. Reminds me of my own journey to Metallica. We were about 30 people from Hyderabad going to the concert. 2 cars with 8 people came on board. The rest of the people were in train as we did not have enough cars to come.
Feel free to add your own roadtrip experiences and pics to this thread, H. More the merrier!

Quote:
...no cell phone connectivity inside. So the whole concert we watched in two groups.
That happened to us as well. The smaller group was stuck on the right side while most of us were on the left very close to the central console. After a while we gave up trying to call each other and just enjoyed the show. I couldn't even connect with Monaro CV8 who flew down from Pune to watch with his friends, though miraculously he managed to reach me just after the show.

Quote:
The other day they showed the concert on VH1 and watched the whole damn thing again...
Did that happen? We were all set to watch it on a 100" projector screen at a friend's place but someone said it got cancelled. The videos are already up on Metallica.com. Gave me goosebumps!

Quote:
Now one question: Are you coming to the Oktoberfest in Bangalore? Poets of the fall is coming tomorrow and I m not going to miss it.
As much as I'd love taking off to every show...no chance mate! Though we are planning to be at NH7 in Pune next weekend for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I believe its got to do with the automatic gearbox more than the engine itself. What's your take?
The old-school torque convertor has its role to play for sure but even in S mode (higher rpm) or tiptronic (manual) mode, the engine is rather sedate to take off. I could tell this clearly when we were driving with the bikers. From dead stop, they would just zip away when I would struggle in lower gear even when revving pretty high.
I am not well versed in the technical aspects but suspect that lack of low end grunt is what causes this. Also I believe the Vento 1.6 petrol engine is a whole 3 seconds slower to the ton than the Honda City vTec (info courtesy Autocar India via GTO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
It *is* hard work, and like everything else, happens faster if you enjoy it! My method is to work out the storyline in my head- the title and opening post of this one for example were ready even before the trip started! - and then choose only those pics that contribute to the storyline somehow.
Also keep it real, add elements of human drama that could appeal to the target audience, avoid too many pics of yourself and your friends/family (this one is a sure attention-killer!) and keep the tone light and posts short.
The assembly line feature of T-BHP is a vital tool for composing a TL- use it well!
Pics of return trip and concert description to follow soon...stay tuned!
Old 12th November 2011, 13:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amazing travelogue Noopster.

Hampi is an amazing place not only for the historical point of view but also because of rocks. One of the major reasons you see a lot of foreigners staying only on the Virupapur Gadde side is because of its accessibility to rocks and bouldering. I myself have gone twice specifically for bouldering apart many other times for various other reasons.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 20:36   #25
BHPian

noopster-ji,

I was hoping you would post some pics from the concert itself.

Am a huge Metallica fan too, and I was lucky to see them perform live in New York many years ago. Besides "And Justice for All", one of their best war-themed singles was "One" with that terrific Hammett-Hetfield guitar jugalbandi. In the concert, when they were playing Master of Puppets, during that 30-second section where Hammett goes wild with his guitar, the large LCD screen was showing a close-up of his left hand dancing furiously on the strings along with a stop watch counting 1/100ths of a second to show the amazing speed of his fingers.
mr.sinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 16:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Oye, why the gap in posting? Where are the updates on the Metallica jig and the return journey? Left it half way through, have you?

Get on with it, and post those updates asap!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 19:18   #27
Team-BHP Support

The reason, dear friend, is that I don't *have* any decent photos of the gig. Have asked my friends to dump their pics in my folder, after which I will select the best post them.

However, I sense I am losing my audience, so let me proceed.

Saturday night was pretty wild: we strolled across to Brigade Road hoping to get into Peco's but it was packed solid so we went to this place opposite called Le Rock. Relatively new place- wasn't around when I lived in Bangalore, as far as I recall. They charged us 600 a couple "full cover" and the food was delicious. The atmosphere inside was absolutely insane and we headbanged to some LOUD metal and hard rock stuff. Then the clock chimed 11 and everything closed down.

I remember with great fondness the days that this city used to rock till 3 in the morning. It's really weird to have to vacate a place just when you're getting into the swing of things. But the way policies change and then change some more, I guess we can expect a reversal of the 11 am rule not too far in the future!

Went back to the apartment and the partying continued. We had an acoustic guitar and a melodica (a 32-key keyboard with a pipe attached that makes it a wind instrument) I was exhausted from all the driving and retired early. But found out the next morning that neighbours had complained!

Sunday dawned- and we could hardly believe it. The day we'd been waiting and planning for, finally here. The hottest topic of discussion was the cancellation of the Gurgaon gig. A lot of venom was reserved for members of a particular local band that had allegedly led the mayhem resulting in destruction of lakhs worth of property. These later turned out to be false, hence not mentioning the band's name here. But the general consensus was that the crowd had made asses of themselves and it wold be a while before Delhi got a proper act visiting them again.

Some calls started trickling in- people lined up at the venue since 6 am The day was warm and not exactly conducive to lining up in the sun waiting, so we passed and hit Church Street just around lunchtime. A leisurely lovely lunch later, we took autos to the venue and lined up with the crowds. The cops were out in force, a sobering reminder of the fiasco of 2 nights ago and teh very real possibility that loomed of it happening again here.

We told ourselves- no, Bangalore crowds are not like that. We are the best! Then some idiot would go pound on the barricade and we'd fall silent and offer muted curses. After a while someone would cheekily shout "Oye Gurgaon" and shame the offender into desisting! It was clear people had invested a lot of time, money and effort getting here and weren't going to let it go lightly. The self regulation exercised by the crowd was a sight to behold.

We'd all got separated in the process of getting to the venue (our rick was held up as we hunted for change to pay our driver). Thankfully some mobiles were working (BSNL zindabad!) and we reunited with almost the entire gang by the time we got in.

Biffy Clyro- the band that opened for Metallica- was an absolute drag, at least to me. One of our separated friends later told us he enjoyed it a lot, probably because he was actually listening (we were yelling for Metallica by then). We missed the earlier acts- the local bands Inner Sanctum and Guillotine- heard a bit of the latter from outside but it didn't sound that hot.

We were almost dead centre with entry from the left side of the stage, a decent enough spot with good visibility of the huge screen over the stage and both the side screens as well. The stage was visible as well but it was almost at the same height as the audience and not for the first time in my life I wished God had blessed me a little more vertically (am about 5'10" and could get a decent view of the stage on my tiptoes). Some of my gang managed to get on a metal fence separating us from the central console- the folks didn't seem to mind so they got a decent view.

Enough has been said about the show itself, so will just post a few random observations:
  1. The setlist was amazing. I never expected the likes of Blackened and Sad But True. James announced that they heard that Bangalore liked it pretty heavy, which may explain the bent in that direction.
  2. All the old favourites were played notable exceptions being Unforgiven (none of the 3) and Wherever I May Roam (which inspired the title of this blog)
  3. I love James Hetfield
  4. No seriously I do.
  5. And why not? He sang perfectly (well it seemed that way from 30 rows back, though I spotted some mistakes in the videos people posted later). And he can PLAY.
  6. And his guitar tone on One. Was. To. DIE. For. He played it on the red Explorer
  7. Had low expectations from the rest of the band but Lars was a powerhouse on the drums and the new guy was stupendous on bass
  8. Kirk Hammett was...well...Hammett. He played notes that weren't supposed to be there in solos and lost his tuning in One. But his amazing collection of axes (he used a new guitar for EACH of the first 7 songs of the set) let him off the hook. Also as a unit they were insanely tight, so mistakes here and there are forgiven.
  9. The show started at 8 sharp but there was a break of almost 90 minutes from the time the last opening act left stage. That was sheer torture.

Last edited by noopster : 14th November 2011 at 19:22.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Feel free to add your own roadtrip experiences and pics to this thread, H. More the merrier!

Did that happen? We were all set to watch it on a 100" projector screen at a friend's place but someone said it got cancelled. The videos are already up on Metallica.com. Gave me goosebumps!

As much as I'd love taking off to every show...no chance mate! Though we are planning to be at NH7 in Pune next weekend for sure.
The pics from my side will take some time. Right now they are taken with friend's cameras. On the previous day before Metallica concert, we went to Tibetan temple again as well as Nisargdama. We came back for the night in Bangalore to stay at Aditya Inn under the Electronic city fly over.

The show was cancelled in MTv but was shown in VH1. You should have watched it. I was watching that with my parents and was trying to show them the approximate place I was .

I had to miss out on Oktoberfest. Alas my tickets for the fest got wasted. Sudden family emergency was the cause.

How was NH7 2010? I lived in Pune for 3 years. NH7 started last year I guess and missed it because I left Pune in November to Chennai for work commitments.
Eagerly waiting for update on NH7 2011. Hope it will be fun. Especially hope indian Ocean play their famous Song 'Bandeh' from the movie black Friday. I know Indian Ocean is coming , but any other big bands? I could not find online when I tried searching.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 17:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Anoop

That was a great travelogue. The Humpi snaps are pretty good. Looking at those snaps makes me wanna go there, soon. Its about 530 KMs odd and 10 hrs journey from Pune, which is good and manageable with 3-4 breaks. But you can suggest whether its feasible to do it with family.

I was hoping to see more concert photos here. When will you get those? Ofcourse, in a Metallica concert, or for that matter, any concert you don't click pics, you enjoy the show more rather than setting up ISO, focal lengths, apertures etc. I also wished there were more pics of the Vento.

I remember our tryst with the Brigade road on 31st Dec 2006. It was a chaos on that road and 50% crowd on the road was in "Tanga Palti Ghode Faraar" state.

I am not sure if I missed reading about Vento's performance throughout the trip. FE, road manners, back-seat comfort and rear AC vent's throw, driving comfort/fatigue, etc.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 21:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
The reason, dear friend, is that I don't *have* any decent photos of the gig. Have asked my friends to dump their pics in my folder, after which I will select the best post them.
Hi Noopster, Your inbox seems to be full in team-bhp. So I was not able to reply back. Do PM me your email id and I will send an email directly to you regarding the Indian ocean and your experiences at NH7.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote