Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd November 2011, 20:58   #16
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!

Vasanth, Beautiful travelogue and nice set of pics!

Thanks for sharing.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:09   #17
BHPian

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Wondering why the "om" symbol on chariot is written in reverse? or that is how its written in Kannada?
idlebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 23:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Ok so thats the reason there was tape, was a hindrance to drive on the highway with the tapes? How was the work, i was looking at cleaning the windshield from them as something has fallen and creates smears early morning.
No, motomaverick, the tapes were not a hindrance to drive. The work was good, so far no complaints (I could not stay back and check their work as I had to run some errands). But, their attitude is what bothered me. They behaved as if they are the only people who do this job correctly, and we have no option but to go to them. I did not see the service attitude, it was more like they did a favor to me by doing the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Vasanth, Beautiful travelogue and nice set of pics!

Thanks for sharing.
Tanks SDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
Wondering why the "om" symbol on chariot is written in reverse? or that is how its written in Kannada?
Good observation idebrain, but your guess is as good as mine! Absolutely no clue.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 19:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
If you see if from the other side, it is not reversed. It could be a correct 'Om'

And there is no letter in Kannada in that particular shape (Reverse Om)
vinya_jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 16:38   #20
BHPian

Some more pics

The below pic indicates my daily routine when the bags were placed in the boot. As mentioned earlier, boot space is at premium in my car. The simple option to increase space is to disconnect the speakers and leave them back at home. But a 5 day trip with most time on the road without speakers - naah - couldn't picture myself doing that. So the only solution was this routine every day while placing the bags in the boot:
  1. Disconnect the speakers and remove them out
  2. Place the bags in the trunk so that they occupy minimum vertical space.
  3. Place the speakers back with only the rear plug of the speaker going into its slot, and let the speakers rest on the bags making sure the speaker is not touching any metallic part of the bags.
  4. Connect the speakers and test
  5. occasional 5th step - after driving for some time, stop, take a towel and place it in the slot which is causing rattle - to have a peaceful drive
5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-069.jpg

6. Close the hatch and pose for a pic

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-075.jpg

Crossed KIOCL on the way to Kundapur. Reminded me of my Mechanical Engg. college viva. The following happened after the practical exam in viva:

Professor: Do you know how the iron ore transferred from Kudremukh to the Iron Ore factory in Mangalore?
Me: hmm...I don't know sir!
Professor: Being mechanical engineers you should know such things, not enough if you know what is in the text books!! (talk of a practical professor, I wish he taught in our college!)
Professor: It is mixed with water and transferred via the pipelines, very economical way of transportation.
Me: (how cool and innovative is that!?)

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-109.jpg

My wife's biggest complaint when we go on trips is that we do not have many pics together, its either me taking her pics or vice versa. But, thanks to dear mom-in-law, in this trip we had some "couple" pics

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-126.jpg

I captioned this pic "Monkeying around" when I uploaded it on facebook, and a friend said I was good at it (being a monkey)! lol! With friends like these, who needs enemies! God bless FRIENDS!

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-306.jpg

More pics to follow when I take another break from work.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:58   #21
BHPian

Thanks vasanth. You have got a nice travelogue out there. Makes me nostalgic. Reminds me of the good old days in Mangalore (I studied at Fr. Mullers, kankanady. Being a manglorean, hope you know the place). Can't forget the ideal ice cream parlour out there.Awaiting your pics. The last time I visited mangalore was october 2011. Keep coming man. Glued to this thread.
drdeepudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:32   #22
BHPian

A very nice travellogue... beautiful pics... I fact your pics look more beautiful than the pics in my head. I mean I have seen these places but in your pics they look better that what comes to my mind when I think about them.

I am planning a goa trip so will get time to visit these again then. How is NH-17 from mangalore to kumta or gokarna ? What is the state of the roads there ? What should be an average speed that you could make ?
figo_mba is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff there vasanth and regarding your professors comment " Professor: It is mixed with water and transferred via the pipelines, very economical way of transportation " is quite true. Have heard this from a close friends dad who used to work in Kudremukh long back.

The monkeying around picture, Turtle Bay eh ?
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Thanks vasanth. You have got a nice travelogue out there. Makes me nostalgic. Reminds me of the good old days in Mangalore (I studied at Fr. Mullers, kankanady. Being a manglorean, hope you know the place). Can't forget the ideal ice cream parlour out there.Awaiting your pics. The last time I visited mangalore was october 2011. Keep coming man. Glued to this thread.
Thanks Dr.Deepu. So you studied medicine here? My wife jumped up just being reminded of Ideal Ice Cream. Unfortunately could not visit it this time. Are you originally from Kerala?
Have not been able to post more pics, will do it shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
A very nice travellogue... beautiful pics... I fact your pics look more beautiful than the pics in my head. I mean I have seen these places but in your pics they look better that what comes to my mind when I think about them.

I am planning a goa trip so will get time to visit these again then. How is NH-17 from mangalore to kumta or gokarna ? What is the state of the roads there ? What should be an average speed that you could make ?
To be frank, it is the same with me in some cases. I mean, Yana especially looks much better in pics than the image in my head too. But then the road to Yana, it is a totally different story. The pic does not do any justice to the actual beauty, it is just breathtaking.
NH-17 is good for the most part. It is neither excellent, nor bad. There was some highway widening work going on, as a result some stretches of the highway suddenly merged with the opposite lane. Will not be a problem during day time. Might have to be a little careful at night though. But the average speed can be around 40-60 km/hr depending on the time of day. We started early in the morning from morning and traffic was minimal, but with time it increased as the NH passes through small towns all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Good stuff there vasanth and regarding your professors comment " Professor: It is mixed with water and transferred via the pipelines, very economical way of transportation " is quite true. Have heard this from a close friends dad who used to work in Kudremukh long back.

The monkeying around picture, Turtle Bay eh ?
Thanks. Yeah, monkeying around at Turtle Bay.

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 28th November 2011 at 13:47.
Old 29th November 2011, 17:39   #25
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Vasanth - Wonderful travelogue with top class pictures. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see better roads in Karnataka.

Zen is one of the best petrol hatchbacks of the late 90's and early 00's. Still wonder which gentleman in MSIL gave the idea of discontinuing this fine model.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 12:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Vasanth - Wonderful travelogue with top class pictures. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see better roads in Karnataka.

Zen is one of the best petrol hatchbacks of the late 90's and early 00's. Still wonder which gentleman in MSIL gave the idea of discontinuing this fine model.
Yeah, the roads were quite good throughout except for the Charmadi ghat section.

Maruti already had launched Swift by the time they discontinued Zen, and I guess it made more sense for them to focus on Swift.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Which route did you take from Subramanya to Mangalore?
Any details of the hotel you stayed in at Bhatkal? Inside town or on the highway itself?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 14:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue - thanks for sharing. How is the condition of NH-206?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 15:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Which route did you take from Subramanya to Mangalore?
Any details of the hotel you stayed in at Bhatkal? Inside town or on the highway itself?
The route that I took was...

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-kukke-mangalore.jpg

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-dsc01097.jpg

I had to maintain logs as shown above as I did not have the assistance of a GPS system.

I stayed in a hotel on the highway. As mentioned earlier in my post, the stay here was totally unplanned. It is very much on the highway, but it is a no-frills lodge, but (importantly) very clean and they do oblige to odd requests at odd hours. If you are looking for some place with any ambiance, this is not the place. The hotel is "Shanbhag residency".

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-436.jpg

Shown below is the attached restaurant. Food quality is average at best. I would not recommend this. (Although I would definitely recommend the lodge).

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-picture-435.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Nice travelogue - thanks for sharing. How is the condition of NH-206?
The road is average. The reason I say so is because there are many intermittent very small stretches of bad roads (may be 50m) then good road for a few kms and then again small stretch of bad/no road. Should not be a problem. The farther you move from Shimoga (towards Bangalore), the lesser such things are.

If you are looking to use NH206 to come to Bangalore, I can suggest an alternative route. I came to know about this after my trip. This alternative route is via Chitradurga. This route is longer then the original route by about 30 kms, but I am told there are absolutely no pot holes/bad stretches on this route.

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-shimoga-bangalore-1.jpg

5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!-shimoga-bangalore-2.jpg
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 05:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for sharing.

It is indeed a pleasure to see the kollur temple. apparently you can only visit that temple if the diety has wished for you to visit. else no matter how hard you try, you cannot visit the kollur mookambika temple.

regards,
govigov
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote