Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th December 2011, 22:49   #31
BHPian

Default Re: 5 days, 1420 kms, couple of beaches and falls and a dozen temples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Thank you for sharing.

It is indeed a pleasure to see the kollur temple. apparently you can only visit that temple if the diety has wished for you to visit. else no matter how hard you try, you cannot visit the kollur mookambika temple.

regards,
govigov
gee..Thats good to hear I guess I had an invitation then , as it was not in our original plan at all.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Good going Vasanth, nice pictures as usual.

Regards,
Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 13:52   #33
BHPian

Vasanth, Really nice photos and narration.
I am also planning same trip in Christmas holidays during 24 Dec to 1 Jan covering murudeshwara, gokarna, udupi and karwar

1 . so do you think i need to do a advance booking for accommodation or can i get good homestays , lodge during this period ?

2.I am still confused whether to visit jog falls or not since in December flow of water is not that much , what you suggest ? do we include it in our plan ?

3.Which are the MUST see temples in coastal Karnataka , I have finalized
Murudeshwara temple, gokarna mahabali and shrikrisha mandir udpi and bahubali at karakala as of now.
Other then this 4 , any other temple you suggest to visit

4.Also for beaches , i have finalize karwar , gokarna om beach and malpe beach near udupi
Other then this 2 any other beach you want to include in a trip

5.I am travelling from pune by car and this is my first visit to Karnataka , how are the roads between mangalore and murudeshwara (NH 17)
5,My tentative plan is also follows , any change you suggest in this

day 1 Pune to karwar , halt at karwar
day 2 sight seeing at karwar halt at karwar
day 3 karwar to gokarna , halt gokarna
day 4 gokarna to murudeshwar and then to udupi halt at udupi
day 5 udupi – malpe beach,srikrisha temple and local sightseeing
day 6 udupi to karkal, manjunath temple and return back to sirsi , halt at sirsi
day 7 sirsi to jofg falls and back to pue
sandeep joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 15:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Good going Vasanth, nice pictures as usual.

Regards,
Ravi.
Thanks Ravi, wouldn't have been possible without your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
Thanks
I am also planning same trip in Christmas holidays during 24 Dec to 1 Jan covering murudeshwara, gokarna, udupi and karwar

1 . so do you think i need to do a advance booking for accommodation or can i get good homestays , lodge during this period ?
Please book in advance, as it will the year end and you can expect a lot of people enjoying new year around the coastal area.

2.I am still confused whether to visit jog falls or not since in December flow of water is not that much , what you suggest ? do we include it in our plan ?
Jog falls might not be worth visiting in December.

Murudeshwara temple, gokarna mahabali and shrikrisha mandir udpi and bahubali at karakala as of now.
Sorry, no suggestions. I have minimal information when it comes to temples. All the temples I visited were on insistence of my dear Mom-in-law except for Manjugani temple which I visited as Ravi Bhat suggested it.

4.Also for beaches , i have finalize karwar , gokarna om beach and malpe beach near udupi

Trasi Beach at Maravanthe and the road side rock beach (you can see pics in my post) is a must-see. In fact, you could stay for s day at "turtle bay beach resort" in Maravanthe.

5.I am travelling from pune by car and this is my first visit to Karnataka , how are the roads between mangalore and murudeshwara (NH 17)

day 6 udupi to karkal, manjunath temple and return back to sirsi , halt at sirsi
The road is good, but for patches of repair work.

vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 16:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post

Yes. You should do the booking in Advance. There is Naveen Beach resort and RNS Residency in Murudeshwar. Book this and make it as a base as it is located in the middle from where you can explore the coast.

Not worth it as stand alone at this time of the year. However, i would suggest that you can visit Jog and also see backwaters and go upto the famous Chowdeshwari temple in Sigandur by ferry to enjoy backwaters.

Other temples you should visit are Kollur Mookambike, Durga Parameshwari at Kateel near Mangalore, Aanegudde Ganapathi near Kundapur, Dont miss 1000 pillared Jain Basadi in Moodabidri if you are going to Karkala.Since you are going to Sirsi dont miss Marikamba temple in Sirsi and famous Ganapathy temple at Idagunji

You should visit Kaup beach near Udupi. Clean and not crowded with British built light house. Dont miss St Mary's Island.

My suggestion would be

Day 1 - Pune - Karwar. Stay Karwar.
Day 2 - Karwar sightseeing, Devbagh, Boat ride to one of the islands, boating in Kali river, visit to submarine musuem. Stay Karwar.
Day 2 - Karwar - Murudeswar visiting Gokarna temple on the way. Stay in Murudeshwar
Day 4 - Sightseeing Murudeshwar till lunch. Post lunch drive to Udupi. On the way visit Kollur Mookambike temple and Aanegudde Temple. If you are non veg have a Ghee raost Chicken and Kane fish fry in Shetty lunch home in Kundapur. Stay at Udupi
Day 5 - Visit Krishna temple in the morning, have breakfast at Mitra Samaj, go for boat ride to St Mary's Island, Visit Kaup beach to enjoy nice sun set.
Day 6 - Udupi to Sirsi via Karkala - Mudabidri - Agumbe - Tirthahalli - Sagara. On the way you can visit Bahubali in Karkala, 1000 pillored Basadi in Moodabidri, Valley views/falls at Agumbe, Kundadri for amazin views of Western ghats
Any particular reason for staying in Sirsi? There is nothing much in the city except for the temple. You may have to have another day to explore surroundings like Yana etc which you dont have the luxury. I would recommend that you can stay in nice home stay near jog called Mathuga and next day drive via Honnavar back to Pune. Stay@matthuga :: Home Stay Near Jog Falls - Sagar, Jog Falls Holiday, Jog Falls Hotels, Resort Near Jog Falls, Accommodation Near Jog Falls, Lodging Near Jog Falls

Day 7 - Departure to Pune via Honnavar - Karwar. If staying in Matthuga, then visit Joga falls in the morning on the way to Honnavar.

My replies are in bold. Hope it helps

Last edited by Fauji : 7th December 2011 at 16:32.
Fauji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 17:48   #36
BHPian

Thank you very much fauji and vasanth . I will definetely plan accrodingely.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:54   #37
BHPian

You are welcome Sandeep.

Forgot to mention another thing. If you are traveling with family, please pick your accommodation with care. As it will be new year time, there might be a lot of bachelor groups celebrating new year with a alcohol a little more than required. Especially if you are planning to stay close to beaches.

On the other hand, if you are a bachelor yourself and planning a trip with your friends, enjoy and have a good time at the same time, not disturbing others
vasanthn21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 19:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
If you are traveling with family, please pick your accommodation with care.
I am traveling with a family including one 7 yr old kid.
Those hotels who has presence on internet/web are all full . I ring a phone to all of them. Homestays dose not have any web presence so getting contact information for them is diffcuilt. One or two i got but they dose not have any prior booking arrangemnet. lets see.
Old 11th December 2011, 07:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Few pointers, To stay at sirsi I can find very nice homestay within 5km from sirsi. I will be near sirsi during that week.

Visiting udupi might be hectic and eat up travel time.

Instead of Jog falls visit Unchalli falls and yaana which are 40km from sirsi.

while returning driving back from sirsi - yellapura-hubli-puna makes sense :-)

I also suggest you plan to cover Udupi area next time and this time cover places around sirsi-karwar-gokarna-mudreshwara.

also if you visit udupi I am with fauji's route while returning from udupi which would help and save travel time because you can cover many places on the way with decent road.

PM me for any details you need.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 13:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 5 days, 1420 kms, a couple of beach/falls and a dozen temples ! - a photologue

Quote:
The 40 kms of Shiradi Ghat with absolutely no roads cuts into the average speed. My friend calls this stretch as off-roading! I was constantly at 2nd or 3rd gear during this entire stretch. But, I am told this route is still better than taking the Mysore-Madikeri route.
Vasanth,
Very good Travelogue well described with some quality photos to back up. How was the stretch post Sakleshpura? You mentioned that you were doing this in lower gears? Did the car suffer any under body hits?
Had done the similar route for my new year way back in 2008 in my Zen but extended it all the way to Goa.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 15:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Extremely good chronological narration with interesting bits of information every now and then. Rated a well deserved 5 stars! Fantastic photographs all through, especially the pics of the rock formations were superb!

The "spot" with fresh and salt water on opposite sides of the road is almost incredible. Is it really true? Doesn't some amount of the lake on the other side become salty since the soil is so close to the beach??

Reading this fantastic travelogue has got me interested in a drive to the west coast sometime in Jan, if my leave balance at office permits *lol*. I've bookmarked it for my future use, and will refer this thread to any friend asking about trips to the west coast.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 22:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Vasanth, that's a very nice travelogue with lovely photographs. Thanks a lot for sharing..

And about the Professor, would've loved to learn from that kind of teacher. Not many professors out there nowadays talk about practical learning.
kaushik_s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2011, 18:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Few pointers, To stay at sirsi I can find very nice homestay within 5km from sirsi. I will be near sirsi during that week.

Visiting udupi might be hectic and eat up travel time.

Instead of Jog falls visit Unchalli falls and yaana which are 40km from sirsi.

while returning driving back from sirsi - yellapura-hubli-puna makes sense :-)

I also suggest you plan to cover Udupi area next time and this time cover places around sirsi-karwar-gokarna-mudreshwara.

also if you visit udupi I am with fauji's route while returning from udupi which would help and save travel time because you can cover many places on the way with decent road.

PM me for any details you need.

Regards,

Ravi.
Sandeep, I found following Ravi's advice very useful (as you would have seen in my posts). You can blindly follow his advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Vasanth,
Very good Travelogue well described with some quality photos to back up. How was the stretch post Sakleshpura? You mentioned that you were doing this in lower gears? Did the car suffer any under body hits?
Had done the similar route for my new year way back in 2008 in my Zen but extended it all the way to Goa.
Thanks for the kind words ku69rd. The stretch from Sakleshpur is really bad. As mentioned earlier, there were no roads. Yeah, I was mainly in 1st, 2nd and an occasional 3rd gear. Did have under body hits a couple of times. My friend had a bit more in his brand new ANHC. I am told now that this stretch is even worse now. People recommend avoiding this stretch totally. The condition is so for about 40 kms. How was the route in 2008?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Extremely good chronological narration with interesting bits of information every now and then. Rated a well deserved 5 stars! Fantastic photographs all through, especially the pics of the rock formations were superb!

The "spot" with fresh and salt water on opposite sides of the road is almost incredible. Is it really true? Doesn't some amount of the lake on the other side become salty since the soil is so close to the beach??

Reading this fantastic travelogue has got me interested in a drive to the west coast sometime in Jan, if my leave balance at office permits *lol*. I've bookmarked it for my future use, and will refer this thread to any friend asking about trips to the west coast.
Thanks for the appreciation. It was my long time dream to go on a long drive. This was the first one, I was all excited like a small kid, meticulously tracked route in a notebook .
The "spot" is true, though I did not taste the water from Sowparnika river May be, you can try it when you drive there and don't forget to update me. But seriously; just being there is a wonderful experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Vasanth, that's a very nice travelogue with lovely photographs. Thanks a lot for sharing..

And about the Professor, would've loved to learn from that kind of teacher. Not many professors out there nowadays talk about practical learning.
Yeah, most professors I know don't even know the content in the text book correctly, expecting them to know practical stuff is a distant dream. (Well, they might teach you better if you attend their private tuition)

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 12th December 2011 at 18:47.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 09:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How was the route in 2008?
The Route was no better in 2008 and we took the Madikeri-Mangalore route. However the roads were real good during the 2006/07 before the mining bubble. They were a pleasure to drive in those ghat sections. Unfortunately it has been a while since the roads have been repaired/restored fully.
Hopefully one of these days now that mining has been stopped
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote