Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th December 2011, 17:32   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My first Goa trip

Back from 3 day Goa trip. The ride from Blr-Hubli is the usual 4 lane glory. The turnoff towards yellapur ankola is a 2 lane but the roads are good and speeds of 80-100 can be maintained. Spent a night at Karwar and next morning to Vasco. Roads after the checkpost are yumm... all the way to vasco. Didn't go further north though. Just visited the Caboderama fort and Bogmala beach..!!
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 18:00   #32
BHPian

Hi Lancersfx - I am off on a drive to Karwar day after tomorrow morning. Just curious to know, are there good sign-boards marked to the Yellapur turn ? Is this on the NH itself or do we need to get into Hubli town and check for this turn ?

I plan to leave Bangalore at 3.30 AM. Given the news of fogs doing the rounds at Bangalore, i am now thinking hard on my departure time.
jkrishnakj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 07:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj
Hi Lancersfx - I am off on a drive to Karwar day after tomorrow morning. Just curious to know, are there good sign-boards marked to the Yellapur turn ? Is this on the NH itself or do we need to get into Hubli town and check for this turn ?

I plan to leave Bangalore at 3.30 AM. Given the news of fogs doing the rounds at Bangalore, i am now thinking hard on my departure time.
Sorry to butt in. Since you're leaving soon (or already have) I am taking the liberty.

There are a couple of boards but I'm not sure if Yellapur is mentioned. In any case it is quite easy to be confused around this place. My suggestion is ask the toll attendant at the start of the hubli-dharwad bypass as soon as you get off of NH-4. It shouldn't be more than a few mins drive after the toll booth. (the second exit from the bypass after the toll booth)

Hope this helps.
Random is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

hello jkrishnakj - the left turn towards yellapur-ankola is approximately 1.5 - 2 kms after you cross the toll booth, before Hubli, on NH4 (now NH48). There is a board that announces the point where you need to turn.

Remember to tell the person manning the toll booth that you would like to take the Karwar road, and he will charge you accordingly (and also give you advice on where to turn). The default toll is higher, and is for people who continue straight on the hubli-dharwad bypass.
Arka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 12:31   #35
BHPian

Smile Re: My first Goa trip

@ jkrishnakj I don't recall seeing Yellapur on a signboard but you take the service road to take the bypass. First you get a tollbooth and from there You'd be travelling the periphery of Hubli via santhosh nagar but it will be un-noticed as it is just a 2.2 km after you take a left at gabbur. Then straight ahead all the way to Ankola where you would take a right to Karwar which is marked in the second pic. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

lancersfx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 17:35   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
hello jkrishnakj -
Remember to tell the person manning the toll booth that you would like to take the Karwar road, and he will charge you accordingly (and also give you advice on where to turn). The default toll is higher, and is for people who continue straight on the hubli-dharwad bypass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
@ jkrishnakj I don't recall seeing Yellapur on a signboard but you take the service road to take the bypass. First you get a tollbooth and from there You'd be travelling the periphery of Hubli via santhosh nagar but it will be un-noticed as it is just a 2.2 km after you take a left at gabbur. Then straight ahead all the way to Ankola where you would take a right to Karwar which is marked in the second pic. Hope this helps.

Thanks heaps Random, Lancersfx and Arka. Particularly, i like Arka's tip for the toll booth.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 27th December 2011 at 17:37.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 20:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Finally I reach my in-laws place in Mysore at 6 pm, after some refreshments reach home by 8 pm.

I get a call from Melvyn asking for the road conditions to Goa and ask him about visiting the hotel in the morning. He politely refuses it knowing that I would be tired. So redirect him to another bhpian Ravi bhat for road conditions.

That’s it… the end of my first Goa trip.
A great TL @gypsyFreak with lots of pics, road conditions with detailed description. Thanks for sharing.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 23:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
A great TL @gypsyFreak with lots of pics, road conditions with detailed description. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Avon. I had a nice trip and had no patience to write my travelogue. After reading Melvyn's travelogue got inspired and wrote it.
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote