Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th November 2011, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default SOLO ride on a TBTS'11 911 kms in 2 days

Hi Friends,

My childhood dream of Owning the BEAST came true in the month of April'11 when i bought the Thunderbird Twinspark and the quest to take it on a long ride was long awaited. After travelling almost entire India on 4 wheels it was time for me to explore a part of the great country on 2 wheels and what was better than the BEAST itself.

The only 2 wheelers i owned before this beast were a splendor and Vespa NV during my Post graduation days and used them only for college commutation etc.

Ok enough of history. Here is what i planned

DESTINATION - Delhi to Pushkar
Dates/Days - Saturday & Sunday ( 5th & 6th Nov )
Ride - TBTS'11 ( I've christened it as BIRDIE )
Rider - Harry ( New to a Royal Enfield )

Being a first timer to Royal Enfield with Zero Knowledge of the machine but complete knowledge of the road/timings/physical fitness/things to carry etc i decided to do a SOLO ride to the see the great PUSHKAR mela.

Knowing the cons that a small puncture or a breakdown can take me to my wits end to proceed/cancel my trip but the traveller spirit was very high which made me kick start ( oops self start the beast ).

So being a nocturnal animal ( i work in night shifts ) i reached back home at around 8:00 am on saturday morning and took a quick 4 hours nap till 12 and then started packing my rucksack for the journey , since i like my beast spic and span so spent about 15-20 minutes giving it a finishing touch even though the cleaner had cleaned the bike in the morning , took a nice hot bath with a light lunch to avoid feeling sleepy while riding.

I did not have anything specific related to the bike besides a Cramster riding jacket and riding gloves. After getting ready i was ready to hit the highway at about 2:30 with a customary pic taken by mom before the ride and a commitment that i should visit the Temple first

Here are few pictures taken from my BB
Attached Images

harishnayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 23:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SOLO ride on a TBTS'11 911 kms in 2 days

I hit the Jaipur highway which i was expecting to be Jam packed due to my recent experience when i drove to Pune on the all new swift but on the contrary the highway was pretty clear with lot lesser jams than what i experienced in the month of August.

I had my Ipod on with over 800 songs and battery fully charged. Since i'm a FB freak so the only places that i stopped was to click pictures of the speedometer to upload it so that my near and dear ones could track where i was.

Initially i had planned a non-stop ride to Pushkar which is about 420 kms but i got to know from my friend in jaipur that he got free from work and could take time out and that i could stay at his place in Jaipur. As soon as i got this information i decided to alter the route and have a halt at Jaipur. The ride was so smooth and break - less that i covered 270 kms in about 5 hours which was a pretty decent time according to me..I reached his office ( in the pic ) at 7:15 pm and his residence at around 8:00 pm.

It was already around 150 kms into the ride when i got this confirmation and i was very delighted. Some challenges that i faced til now -

Challenges
  • foolish villagers crossing the highway w/o seeing
  • small insects hitting the visor creating small spots
Positives
  • Easily crossing the jams ( advantage of travelling on a 2 wheeler )
  • Mileage ( considering the steep petrol prices )
  • Getting the rugged feeling ( priceless )
Attached Images

Old 20th November 2011, 23:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Great going Harish, your birdie looks amazing, and 911 kms in 2 days is probably the best way to get to know her really well.

BTW, please post some pics of Pushkar, all we see now is the speedo, and food. ;-)

Wish you many more miles of riding pleasure.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 23:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Awesome show! Highway cruising is this bike's strength to the point where it feels likes its stationary while cruising.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 23:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Great going Harish, your birdie looks amazing, and 911 kms in 2 days is probably the best way to get to know her really well.

BTW, please post some pics of Pushkar, all we see now is the speedo, and food. ;-)

Wish you many more miles of riding pleasure.
Thanks Dude. I got so close to this beast that i've already thought of buying the DESERT STORM i.e. if my Better half allows me to do so . Pushkar pictures coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Awesome show! Highway cruising is this bike's strength to the point where it feels likes its stationary while cruising.
You bet MAG , this beast just doesn't budge regardless of what the climatic conditions are. I love it from the bottom of my heart.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 00:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

After having a nice sumptous dinner at my friends place in Jaipur i decided to start for Pushkar at around 10:00 am and to my surprise my friend decided to accompany me which was delightful for me as there was nothing as good as a a close pal accompanying you on the ride of your life time ( so far ).

No prizes for guessing that i agreed instantly and i asked him to keep his clothes ready so that we could put it in my rucksack ( in case we had to take a room and stay there overnight ).

As expected i woke up around 10:30 am and he at 11:00 but we were determined to LEAVE HOME ( tag line for THUNDERBIRD ) at 12:00 and we surely did that. The highway from Jaipur to Ajmer was a dream and i had anyways done it X number of times before this but first time on my BULLET
Attached Thumbnails
SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-harry1.jpg  

SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-harry2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st November 2011, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Good going Harish and belated congratulations on the TBTS.
BTW where is the travelogue of your drive in the new Swift?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 05:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Khoj - Thanks for the wishes. The TL for All new swift is still due :((

Well continuing with the current one it surprisingly took me about 2.5 hours to clock the distance of close to 155 kms to Pushkar and that too when i was maintaining speeds of close to 80-90 kmph , i guess it was due to couple of stops over to adjust my MP3 player which kept turning off due to some reason.

The first question that came to my mind was whether to stay in Pushkar or go back to Jaipur the same day since it was already late in the afternoon and i wanted to the fair closely , to my bad luck my Digicam was givng up on me so had to manage with the BB cam and my friends Nokia ( which was pretty good ).

Upon reaching the fair i realised that there were not as many hippies/tourists/foreigners as much as i expected. Most of the people looked like they were from nearby places and some from Tier 1 cities who had just come for the weekend.

Our first visit was to the ONLY Brahma temple in the world ( This was my 2nd visit though ) and then we entered the Mela grounds to check out why this place was so famous during the Fair days and realised that it was the rustic touch touch of the older days which still prevailed which made it so special.

One thing was for sure that my TBTS got a lot of attention and i thought of getting few clicks of me riding it in the desert environment. Here are a few clicks
Attached Images

Old 27th November 2011, 05:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

After seeing the camel fair ( there were over a 1000 camels and most of them were already bartered/sold etc ) it was time to move on to the main Puskar fair ground which was housing an Auction of Horses. Before i come to the Auction thing i would like to share something very interesting that happened.

Pushkar being a very friendly place with not too much of strictness by the cops except for drug trafficking and alcohol i loved the accessibility that i had with my TBTS , I virtually did not walk anywhere except for the temple. Next on the agenda was to take the TBTS inside the ground which i though was not allowed but voila noone stopped and instead people were admiring the looks of the mean machine as it was spic and span and was in very good contrast with the color of the sand.

I entered the ground and parked the TBTS in kind of middle of the ground hoping to catch a glimpse of the auction or a view of the thorougbreds and guess what happened..the people around there started gathering around me and started throwing .. err before you think stones ( Questions at me ) ,My friend was amused at this and started clicking pictures just to capture the moment and the feeling of pride of riding such a sought after bike.

Some questions that came across were -
  • How much did you buy it for?
  • Kitna Deti hai ?
  • Where did you buy it from?
  • Don't tell me you came riding all the way from Delhi!
  • Petrol tank capacity kitni hai?
  • Rajasthan mein kahan se book karwa sakte hain
  • Bhaiya jyada bhaari to nahin hai na?
  • Can i take a test ride?
  • Self start kya hota hai?
  • Kitne gear hain?
One guy even went to the extent of saying that he would treat us with beer if i could take him triple riding to the nearest bar.

Here are few pictures of my Birdie getting the attention from the villagers ( Some wanted to get clicked with it and i happily obliged )
Attached Images

Old 27th November 2011, 10:54   #10
BHPian

Nice travelogue and TB is definitely the best cruiser!! Like they say: "The only thing bigger than a Bullet is the Pride of owning one"
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 11:26   #11
BHPian

Nice travelogue. I love bike trips. You should do a hill trip sometimes.

Look forward to more TLs with your Thunderbird.

Did you face any issues or niggles (common with Bullets) with the bike during the trip? Had you serviced the bike before trip?
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 22:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Nice travelogue and TB is definitely the best cruiser!! Like they say: "The only thing bigger than a Bullet is the Pride of owning one"
You're right bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Nice travelogue. I love bike trips. You should do a hill trip sometimes.

Look forward to more TLs with your Thunderbird.

Did you face any issues or niggles (common with Bullets) with the bike during the trip? Had you serviced the bike before trip?
I definitely would like to ride it on all the terrains and i hope that i get time out to do that on all kind of terrains.

Don't know if it's luck / the service that i got done before the ride / new bike but luckily i did not face any issues in this trip.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

The tankful that i did in Delhi was enough for me to last till Pushkar and lots left before it needed a refill however i still wanted to tank up as i could not locate any petrol pump in Pushkar even after being there for over 3-4 hours. Upon enquiring i found a petrol pump but was not too convinced with the looks of the petrol pump so just refilled worth Rs 300.

We then decided to have some lunch and found a nice hotel for the same and coincidently the owner was a young lad and a bullet lover too.

It was around 6:00 pm and we decided to have some food for about an hour and then go back to the Mela again and enjoy it with lights on. Here are few pictures of one of the best looking Bar in the neighborhood
Attached Thumbnails
SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-317774_10150457139656276_586871275_11083559_901015959_n.jpg  

SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-376302_10150457140981276_586871275_11083569_1710552251_n.jpg  

SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-379958_10150457140626276_586871275_11083567_879337393_n.jpg  

SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-384543_10150457140161276_586871275_11083564_1504771918_n.jpg  

SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-391967_10150457140396276_586871275_11083565_1370094274_n.jpg  

SOLO ride on a TBTS'11  911 kms in 2 days-392010_10150457139946276_586871275_11083563_1664487543_n.jpg  

Old 5th December 2011, 12:53   #14
BHPian

Well continuing with the current one it surprisingly took me about 2.5 hours to clock the distance of close to 155 kms to Pushkar and that too when i was maintaining speeds of close to 80-90 kmph , i guess it was due to couple of stops over to adjust my MP3 player which kept turning off due to some reason.

Great Travelogue Buddy - isn't it unsafe to plug on your ear phones while riding? How did you manage with your helmet and the earplugs any way.

Do not mean to take anything out of your wonderful journey, but little worried about the safety aspect.
sandip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 09:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post

Great Travelogue Buddy - isn't it unsafe to plug on your ear phones while riding? How did you manage with your helmet and the earplugs any way.

Do not mean to take anything out of your wonderful journey, but little worried about the safety aspect.
It sure was due to the stopovers to adjust the mp3 player and also a water break at a dhaba. I had no issues with the earplugs. I simply put them in my ears put the helmet and moved on..in fact it's a life saver when you're riding solo with nothing else to do besides enjoying songs of your own choice.

MP3 player really helped me pass time when i was riding solo.