Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd July 2013, 12:03   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Ranthambhore National Park - Tigers and More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

I would, in my case, replace your statement as thus:

"How wonderful would it be to sit here on the "mooddhas" in the balcony of this palace, watch the lake and the animals that wander over - with a hot cuppa of coffee and pakoras & other eatables - and a Nikon D4 with the 800 prime on a tripod with remote trigger release, along with another Nikon D800 with a wide-angle (say a 17~35 f/2.8).... wow, i am drooling just thinking about it, fultu fantasy stuff!"
sir jee, we shall sit together and swap war stories . After all, not much fun sitting all by oneself!
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 13:53   #77

Found myself in Ranthambhore in March this year. Managed to spot a tiger in the dying moments of the SIXTH safari, barely hours before the train.
bsenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:37   #78
BHPian

Sachin and GD Sir,

Unfair. I say this is unfair. Why only you two?

Even i would love to join as well with a Nikon D4 on a 800mm with a 1.4 TC and a Gitzo tripod with a head. Woh can only imagine it for eternity.

Poor me unlucky yet again. Here two guys showing off all their tiger sightings. Lol.

As always nice pictures Sachin. The White Eye buzzard is special though.
aravind84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:43   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
Found myself in Ranthambhore in March this year. Managed to spot a tiger in the dying moments of the SIXTH safari, barely hours before the train.
bsenroy - the jungle does it to you, and that is why it is so exciting. As they say - Tiger will show itself to you only when it wants to, but be sure - that he is watching you always from the time you enter his domain.

Looking forward to your pics and TL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Sachin and GD Sir,

Unfair. I say this is unfair. Why only you two?

Even i would love to join as well with a Nikon D4 on a 800mm with a 1.4 TC and a Gitzo tripod with a head. Woh can only imagine it for eternity.

Poor me unlucky yet again. Here two guys showing off all their tiger sightings. Lol.

As always nice pictures Sachin. The White Eye buzzard is special though.
For sure, the more the merrier .
Thanks for appreciating the pics, i sometimes feel that i am a better photographer when taking bird pics - something to do with being over anxious in getting good tiger pics and all you guys with super nice tiger pics are to blame for that . My wife always teases me that people crib before seeing a tiger - and i crib after seeing a tiger. heh heh

Last edited by sach.sri : 23rd July 2013 at 11:44.
Old 30th September 2013, 10:31   #80
BHPian

Hello I am planning to do Gurgaon-Ranthambore (13th to 16th October 2013)- can some one suggest the best route for the same?
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 12:39   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Hello I am planning to do Gurgaon-Ranthambore (13th to 16th October 2013)- can some one suggest the best route for the same?

The best route for ranthambhore is -

Gurgaon - Dharuheda - Bhiwadi bypass - Tijara - Alwar bypass - Bandikui - Sikandra - Dausa - Lalsot - Sawai Madhopur.

1. Take NH8 from Gurgaon till Bhiwadi
2. Exit NH8 - Take left onto Bhiwadi (it will be just before a fly over and will take you into a market)
3. At the first chauraha - take a left.
4. Go straight and take right onto Bhiwadi - Alwar highway. This is the road with all the new housing projects coming up. It is a toll road.
4. Keep on this road - you will pass small towns like - Tijara, Kishangarh, etc. Excellent road, little traffic - you will make good time here. Be aware of slow moving traffic like tractors, speed bumps, and traffic coming on wrong side.
5. Nearing Alwar, you will see a chauraha - with a Ashoka Leyland symbol in Blue and also a Fortis hospital. Take a left from here.
6. Drive straight you will pass a railway crossing where a flyover is being constructed, then a over bridge - keep on driving straight. You will reach a T point. Take left from here.
7. This is Mega highway - keep on this road - you will hit Bandikui and then Sikandra.
8. Take a right onto NH11 at Sikandra, then you will need a take a left for Dausa.
9. Dausa to Lalsot - this is the bad stretch on this route - with congestion, bad roads, etc.
10. From lalsot - get onto to Mega highway for Sawai Madhopur - again great roads and very little traffic.
11. Reaching Sawai Madhopur - you will have to keep straight on this road - there will be a flyover (over railway station) and then a crossing with a statue . Take left from here for RTR.
12. This road will take you to RTR - check with your Hotel for further directions.
Old 18th October 2013, 22:55   #82
BHPian

Came across this video on youtube, tiger chases a tourist jeep

Raghunath Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 18:53   #83
BHPian

Friends,

I am planning a road trip to Ranthambore from Navi Mumbai and also covering Bikaner, Jaipur and Udaipur. Can someone give me some insight on the road conditions? Following is the route I got from google maps ...

Navi-Mumbai --> Gandhinagar (night stay) --> Bikaner (Stay at friends place for couple of days) --> (via Jaipur) Ranthambore (at least three safaris) --> Udaipur (night stay) --> Navi-Mumbai.

This trip is being planned for the month of March around Holi festival.

Another help I need is about safari booking at Ranthambore. Is online booking reliable or should I get it done through the resort where I will stay? What are the pros and cons of the same?

Appreciate your help as always!!
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 00:09   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
Came across this video on youtube, tiger chases a tourist jeep
I have seen this before. Looks quite dangerous!
joe1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 07:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Friends, I am planning a road trip to Ranthambore from Navi Mumbai and also covering Bikaner, Jaipur and Udaipur. Can someone give me some insight on the road conditions? Following is the route I got from google maps ... Navi-Mumbai --> Gandhinagar (night stay) --> Bikaner (Stay at friends place for couple of days) --> (via Jaipur) Ranthambore (at least three safaris) --> Udaipur (night stay) --> Navi-Mumbai. This trip is being planned for the month of March around Holi festival. Another help I need is about safari booking at Ranthambore. Is online booking reliable or should I get it done through the resort where I will stay? What are the pros and cons of the same? Appreciate your help as always!!
Always book online!! Choose zone 1-5 option for at least 2 safaris you book . Remaining zones like 7 are also ok. Although most sightings are said to happen in zone 1-5.

So book online but you can always tell your hotel to get it collected for you during the day of the safari. Typically you need to collect it yourself 1 hour prior to the safari from the Forrest office where you will assigned a zone ( dynamically any one from 1 to 5 if your zones 1-5), your guide, your vehicle ( gypsy or canter- choose diesel cater while booking) you need to then either board from the office or tell the assigned vehicle driver your hotel and share your mobile. He will pick you up. The seats are first come first in a canter to board early. Though you can always book a gypsy too if you are a large group
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 12:22   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

I am planning a road trip to Ranthambore from Navi Mumbai and also covering Bikaner, Jaipur and Udaipur. Can someone give me some insight on the road conditions? Following is the route I got from google maps ...

Navi-Mumbai --> Gandhinagar (night stay) --> Bikaner (Stay at friends place for couple of days) --> (via Jaipur) Ranthambore (at least three safaris) --> Udaipur (night stay) --> Navi-Mumbai.

This trip is being planned for the month of March around Holi festival.

Another help I need is about safari booking at Ranthambore. Is online booking reliable or should I get it done through the resort where I will stay? What are the pros and cons of the same?

Appreciate your help as always!!

You should look at the online booking right now - because the Safari bookings for Ranthambhore get sold very quickly. The link is

http://www.rajasthanwildlife.in/

Also like is mentioned above - you will need to present your online booking receipt at the jungle gate to get the vehicle alloted to you. You can either do it yourself or check with the resort people and take their help.

Zones 1 -5 are the real RNP zones with 6-9 being in buffer areas. However, recently there has been good sighting even in these zones.

Let me know if you need any further help. Drop me a PM.
sach.sri is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 14:41   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Typically you need to collect it yourself 1 hour prior to the safari from the Forrest office where you will assigned a zone ( dynamically any one from 1 to 5 if your zones 1-5), your guide, your vehicle ( gypsy or canter- choose diesel cater while booking) you need to then either board from the office or tell the assigned vehicle driver your hotel and share your mobile. He will pick you up. The seats are first come first in a canter to board early. Though you can always book a gypsy too if you are a large group
Thanks a lot Newton. I am checking online but Gypsy seems to be booked already. We are a family of two .. 4 adults and two kids (7 yrs). What is the difference between a petrol canter and diesel canter? Which will be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
You should look at the online booking right now - because the Safari bookings for Ranthambhore get sold very quickly. The link is

Also like is mentioned above - you will need to present your online booking receipt at the jungle gate to get the vehicle alloted to you. You can either do it yourself or check with the resort people and take their help.

Zones 1 -5 are the real RNP zones with 6-9 being in buffer areas. However, recently there has been good sighting even in these zones.

Let me know if you need any further help. Drop me a PM.
I am thinking of booking zone 1-5 on canter as the Gypsies are already booked. Maybe book a Gypsy for one of the safari at least. Thanks a lot for your advice.
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 15:00   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

Lovely shots and thanks for the link. You guys see tigers like I see boring elephants - drive down a few hundred kms and then encounter them immediately.

Will try to go via Ranthambore when I drive down up North next. Maybe a few joint safaris if mutual schedules permit?

No FF/800mm bazooka for me though. I will pretend to be a lightly equipped infantry solider while you guys come with your tanks.
nilanjanray is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 15:10   #89
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot Newton. I am checking online but Gypsy seems to be booked already. We are a family of two .. 4 adults and two kids (7 yrs). What is the difference between a petrol canter and diesel canter? Which will be better?
No real difference, just the difference in the amount of noise and clatter. Diesel is more noisy than the petrol one, and typically you would like to be on a less noisy vehicle. Though in a canter - vehicle noise is just one of the "noises" go forbid if you get to share a canter with a noisy group...

Check with your resort and see if they can arrange for a Gypsy for you on your dates. Also dont forget to ask for the charges - typically you will see some premium to be charged, maybe you can even negotiate a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Lovely shots and thanks for the link. You guys see tigers like I see boring elephants - drive down a few hundred kms and then encounter them immediately.

Will try to go via Ranthambore when I drive down up North next. Maybe a few joint safaris if mutual schedules permit?

No FF/800mm bazooka for me though. I will pretend to be a lightly equipped infantry solider while you guys come with your tanks.
Absolutely - it would be a delight to go for a joint Safari with you and GD sir.

Regarding the FF/800mm --- that is just wishful thinking at this time. and lightly equipped infantry soldier is best suitable for jungle warfare - light on foot and easy to deploy

Last edited by sach.sri : 10th January 2014 at 15:16.
sach.sri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 13:12   #90
BHPian

It has been a very long time since i last went to RTR, infact - since the parks opened last Oct after monsoons - i have only gone to Sariska once. A lot of work and travel related to work kept me off the jungles for quite a while :(

Finally last w/e went to RTR. For the first time took a train to goto RTR because i wanted to do 4 safaris in the weekend and the most comfortable way of doing that was going by train.

The idea was -

1. Start Friday night by Dehradun Exp and reach Sat early morning, get a pick up from the station and then goto Safari.
2. Do 4 safaris and then take Dehradun exp back on Sunday night, again reaching NZM early morning to be in time for attending office.

As luck would have it, the train to SWM got delayed due to fog and i could not do Saturday morning safari - but it was not a big miss, because there were no sightings and it was really foggy.

In the afternoon safari, we were ready by 2pm waiting for the gypsy to turn up - which came around 2.30 pm. We had zone 3 and as soon as we entered, this is what we saw :

Ranthambhore National Park - Tigers and More!-img_4456_1.jpg

Ranthambhore National Park - Tigers and More!-img_4464_1.jpg

It was high drama - as the cat entered into bushes near Padam talao, we were the last ones to see it walking and going by its direction - i asked the gypsy guy to reverse and take it to the place where this could come out - the guy was really slow - and he let a lot of gypsys to pass before he turned and headed into that direction - still we managed to get a decent spot and our companions on the safari (couple of american gents) had binoculars and were able to see the cat before any one else - because of them - i was able to catch this drama...

Ranthambhore National Park - Tigers and More!-img_4517_1.jpg

Ranthambhore National Park - Tigers and More!-img_4524_12.jpg

This is T-19's male child - almost independent now but still not fully independent and hence still able to wander around in his mother's territory.

P.S:- my thread goes in fits and starts, and i am not regular in my postings - it is not because of any thing other than the lack of time on my part and i am very thankful to the members who follow the thread and comment despite my being irregular at updating it.

A big Thank you to all of you