Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2012, 00:03   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012

Quote:
Hi and welcome to the God Box. Press one for a pint of holy water. Press 2 for holy candles. Press 3 for religious music and 4 for your special God Box copy of the Bible.
I once asked for a plenary indulgence at a British Cathedral shop. Sadly, they'd been out of stock for several hundred years

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
What endears to me is the genuine love the people seem to have for the city - not only in the physical sense or for the architecture, but to what the city stands for and to what the city is as a concept. Never seen this in any of the Indian cities - except perhaps to some extent in Kolkata
You won't find it in UK either, except for an occasional building here and there. Reading Sam's wonderful blog, with its extraordinary photos (Thanks, Sam!), as well as delighting my eyes (and tempting my tongue. Oh! Those cakes!) makes me sad for my little island, to the north of mainland Europe. Hey ho, at least I've adopted another city where I can rant about the lack of maintenance and planning.

Anyway, now I have an ambition: a pilgrimage to that wonderful bakery!

If my wish is granted, I'll wear a piggy hat in thanks.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd January 2012 at 00:04.
Old 22nd January 2012, 08:56   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghdip

The Austrian dialect of German is called Wienerisch.

Its a lot different than German ,I've also been told that even Germans find it difficult to understand someone talking in fluid Wienerisch.

As far as the Travelog's concerned i'm absolutely hooked, more so because its Wien that your are covering.

Wienerisch is typical to Wien. The trouble with understanding German already arises when you move south of Germany - with swabian and bavarian.
Move into Austria and you are correct, not only tonal change but entire vocabulary changes.
Move further to switzerland and bhaiya, you don't have a clue.

That is why I said- Austria and Germany, 2 countries divided by the same language, lol.

Thanks for enjoying the blog. Not over yet.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Wienerisch is typical to Wien.
My bad! Yes, it is typical to Wien.

Quote:
Thanks for enjoying the blog. Not over yet.
I must thank you for writing such beautiful travelogue. Its an absolute pleasure reading about your travel experiences with Jenny.

raghdip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:36   #49
BHPian

@Sam - This is a wonderful travelogue and is just as interesting as the previous yetiblogs. I am glad that I had the opportunity to thank you personally yesterday in Pune*.

*Guys - In case you are wondering, I had a chance encounter with the Yeti yesterday at the Phoenix Market City mall in Pune. I don't normally go to this part of the town, and was visiting the mall for the first time. Saw the JBL shop and for some reason went inside and found the Yeti sitting at the sales counter. At first I couldn't believe my eyes, but then I vaguely remembered that Yeti works with JBL (and also how many Yetis are out there right? ). So I introduced myself and had a nice little chat. Since our Yeti is a celebrity on team bhp, I also decided to take a picture with him. Thanks again Sam!
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 08:42   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Thanks again Sam!
Thank you, the pleasure was mine.

--------------------------------------------------------

And so we walk home briskly in the cold night, preparing ourselves for the climb on the roof.
YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-img_7883b_l.jpg

We pick up some snacks and drinks from the house and climb up, all of us, ready to bring in the new year.

5-4-3-2-1... Frohes Neues Jahr!!!

And then it happens. This entire beautiful city with it's historical rooftops, steeples, domes and more, comes alive as if like clockwork.

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3269_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3271s_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3275_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3291_l.jpg

We stand there, Jenny and I, open mouthed and gaping at the sky. Trust me when I say that my puny camera and slow lens does no justice to the magic of that night.

This has turned out to be one of the most special new year nights of our life.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th January 2012 at 08:49.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 17:29   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

The night is full of revelry and joy, we are joined in the wee hours by a group of Bulgarians who teach us the proper way of dancing, Bulgarian style.

To say it was great fun would be a serious understatement.

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3294_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3295_l.jpg

The revelry continues until we are tired and can dance no more.

Tomorrow is our last day in Wien, it is the first of January.

The day is doom and gloom and the clouds are all out enjoying the first day of the year. Unfortunately the sun has a hangover and refuses to show itself at all.

Ah well, I cannot complain, we've had some wonderful sunshine the past days and this is something we can do nothing about.

How about we visit the Schonbrunn palace?
Jenny's eyes light up. I've ALWAYS wanted to see that. This was where sissy...
I laugh, Jenny and her obsession with Princess Sissy of Austria.

Some coffee first?
Would you like to go to Cafe Coffee Day?
asks our host.
I do a double, nay triple take. Say what?
He laughs. He has lived in India before moving to Vienna. Cafe.. Coffee ..Day... he says slowly
You mean Cafe Coffee Day from India? But that isn't an international chain, why I know for a fact the CCD is from the south of India. Why...
He laughs. I know Sam. CCD exists in Wien.
In Wien???
Yes.
The same Cafe Coffee Day?
Yes. Not only one, but they have 3 branches in Wien.

I look at him incredulously.
In Wien? CCD opened 3 cafes in Wien? A place where they have dozens of coffee and a huge culture of coffee houses?? The same CCD from India?
The very same my friend.
Are they present anywhere else in Europe?
Not to my knowledge. By the way, they are present in prime locations and appear to be reasonably full at most times.
I don't believe you.
Follow me.

It's true!!

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3308_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-dsc_3310_l.jpg

They sell Malabar Monsoon and Dark Forest coffee!! Luckily no soggy samosas. I am pleased as a punch!!!!

A part of India exists in Vienna!! Well done CCD!!
Old 30th January 2012, 18:36   #52
Senior - BHPian

Another superb travelogue..err...YetiBlog®! I look forward to them. Thanks so much for sharing Sam. BTW, you havent told us what car Jenney finally chose to drive around in Mumbai (or have I missed that thread?)

Best wishes,
Old 30th January 2012, 21:55   #53
BHPian

Oh how I miss CCD coffee! Apparently they are slowly expanding internationally.
From Wikipedia-
Quote:
Café Coffee Day made its foray into the international market of Coffee cafés by opening outlets at Karachi, Vienna and most recently in Prague.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Hello Sam,

Wonderful travelogue this is, as usual like all of your logs.

Well, it has been long time since we have heard from you. Seems your work is keeping you real busy now-a-days. We request you to take some time out & update (complete) this log.

Once this log is complete, we can start waiting for another excellent travelogue from your side.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 15:41   #55
BHPian

Stupendofabulously wonderful!! That's what my heart and mind told me when I thought about this YetiBlog®!

Vienna is one awesome city on my radar for my next Europe visit.

But is this YetiBlog® over?

Seems like its more than a month you have updated it. Or are you out already gathering material for the next one?

Last edited by vinayrathore : 7th March 2012 at 15:45. Reason: Added a sentance.
vinayrathore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 22:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Some coffee first?
Would you like to go to Cafe Coffee Day?
asks our host.
I do a double, nay triple take. Say what?
He laughs. He has lived in India before moving to Vienna. Cafe.. Coffee ..Day... he says slowly
You mean Cafe Coffee Day from India? But that isn't an international chain, why I know for a fact the CCD is from the south of India. Why...
He laughs. I know Sam. CCD exists in Wien.
In Wien???
Yes.
The same Cafe Coffee Day?
Yes. Not only one, but they have 3 branches in Wien.

I look at him incredulously.
In Wien? CCD opened 3 cafes in Wien? A place where they have dozens of coffee and a huge culture of coffee houses?? The same CCD from India?
The very same my friend.
Are they present anywhere else in Europe?
Not to my knowledge. By the way, they are present in prime locations and appear to be reasonably full at most times.
I don't believe you.
Follow me.

It's true!!

Attachment 879954

Attachment 879955

They sell Malabar Monsoon and Dark Forest coffee!! Luckily no soggy samosas. I am pleased as a punch!!!!

A part of India exists in Vienna!! Well done CCD!!
Now Samji, you made my day! I was longing since a year to drink a "kaapi" and you now drop a bomb that CCD is there in Austria! Thats a real boost before an exam! I am going to check it out once I am done with my exams. btw Any plans for the Easter? Are you in India or coming to DE? Time for another yeti blog
Old 9th March 2012, 14:45   #57
BHPian

@Sam: This does not sound the perfect ending for such an amazing travelogue. There must have something happened on your way back. I wish if i could only get to visit half as many places you have conquered. Awesome stuff mate.
Old 14th March 2012, 17:32   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post

Seems like its more than a month you have updated it. Or are you out already gathering material for the next one?
I apologise Vinay, I still haven't finished this blog. I will try and do so today.

Since this New Years, I have left the country no less than 4 times - in fact I currently write this very post from SanMen County in middle China.

No I'm not kidding. Here's some photos from lunch today, a few hours ago:
YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-20120314-10.03.33_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Weihnachten 2011 und Silvester 2012-20120314-10.15.57_l.jpg
My life and work takes me to new destinations and this is truly one of the greatest blessings of my life. It isn't always possible for me to have enough material for a blog.
I can speak to you for hours about travelling through the interiors of mainland China and the customs, but cannot always stop a business meeting to take photos.

Like I always say, I write about roughly 25 to 30% of my travels. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky_GT View Post
@Sam: This does not sound the perfect ending for such an amazing travelogue. There must have something happened on your way back. I wish if i could only get to visit half as many places you have conquered. Awesome stuff mate.
I haven't finished. I don't have a spectacular end, but this isn't it. CCD isn't it, lol.

I apologise. I'll try to get on it in a few hours. Thanks for kicking my hinie.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 14th March 2012 at 17:40.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:42   #59
BHPian

Hey Sam,

Yet another amazing travelogue from you! I understand that this one is not complete yet. But I wanted to take a moment to thank you for all those wonderful YetiBlog® and sweet memories you have shared with the entire forum and those shadowing readers.

Been a follower of your experiences for a while now and I've been waiting for a chance to reply to your post here! I had dropped a thank you note in your FB account once though.

Anyway, continue with your story telling and as you know there are folks waiting for your next post.

best,
r-six
Old 13th May 2012, 00:57   #60
BHPian

Thanks Sam for sharing such wonderful pictures and your amazing writeup.
Ahh , the blue skies , perfect weather, great architecture and of-course the food, what can one ask for more. I can almost sense what a wonderful time you have had.
You can make up the buildings but the ambiance I understand would have been of a different level.
Closed Thread