Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 28th February 2012, 09:58   #46
BHPian

Default Re: A Noobie International Traveler's first trip - The Land of Smiles, Thailand

All the places mentioned here for shopping are great. Just a few tips :

- if you want to really buy cheap but good stuff, head to Bobae market (this is the place from where the shop owners in Platinum/pratunam/MBK buy their stock from). Although the shops at Bobae will quote you the price for a dozen pieces, you can still bargain with them for 2-3 pieces from the same shop. Trust me the prices are way cheaper than buying at other shopping places. Reach there as early as possible, it closes by 4 pm.

For branded stuff, i would not recommend buying from bangkok, as the prices tend to be higher than what you would spend in India. But again, it depends on personal choice and spending. Many times there are good deals going on at Central World with discounts upto 50% or more.

If you have loads of time to spend in Bangkok, there are plenty of shopping malls around town, which will make even the whole Pratunam market look miniscle. If you need more info, PM me.

Advice: If you are planning to shop a lot, carry as much of foreign exchange in USD rather than in INR. Although you can get the INR converted to THB at many places, but the rate given for INR will be less compared to the rate given for USD. Prefer to carry USD 100 notes, they will have more value than any other denomination.

DevilsDoggie is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 16:47   #47
BHPian

Default Re: A Noobie International Traveler's first trip - The Land of Smiles, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
If you have loads of time to spend in Bangkok, there are plenty of shopping malls around town, which will make even the whole Pratunam market look miniscle. If you need more info, PM me.

Advice: If you are planning to shop a lot, carry as much of foreign exchange in USD rather than in INR. Although you can get the INR converted to THB at many places, but the rate given for INR will be less compared to the rate given for USD. Prefer to carry USD 100 notes, they will have more value than any other denomination.

Hi DevilsDoggie

Would you mind sharing this in this travelogue itself? It would be very useful for people researching on a trip to Thailand (like me ). I have planned a trip to Thailand in March and have 2.5 days to spend in Bangkok. I plan to buy an LED TV, maybe a mobile phone and my wife will definitely shop . I will stay in Amari Watergate. Could you please help me with places to shop? Also, which currency has a better exchange rate, Singapore Dollar or USD?

Thanks!
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 07:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Hi DevilsDoggie

Would you mind sharing this in this travelogue itself? It would be very useful for people researching on a trip to Thailand (like me ). I have planned a trip to Thailand in March and have 2.5 days to spend in Bangkok. I plan to buy an LED TV, maybe a mobile phone and my wife will definitely shop . I will stay in Amari Watergate. Could you please help me with places to shop? Also, which currency has a better exchange rate, Singapore Dollar or USD?

Thanks!

Hi Rajdeep,

If you want to shop for LED Tv you can visit the Indian market area "Fahurat", you will get good deals on TVs there. But if you are running short of time, you can check Panthip Plaza (near Platinum plaza) to get the LED, they have competitive prices too!

As for mobile phone, the best bargains are available at MBK on 3rd or 4th floor. Mind you, if you are planning to buy some average phone than the prices will not be much different than in India. Ofcourse, high-end phones will be cheaper when compared to Indian prices. You may carry USD instead of Singapore$, it will give you better rate as well as you can convert it almost anywhere in Bangkok.

For the ladies, the best place to shop would be around the Pratunam area (Indra market, Platinum Plaza, etc..). Do bargain a lot. But, as I mentioned earlier, if you want to buy in bulk head to Bobae market (if you are travelling with a tour, you may gather a few like minded people to go to Bobae, this will help you to buy in bulk 3-4 pieces from each shop & save you a lot of money).

Few tips: Dont forget to visit the "Khaosan Road" for a lovely night out. The place is backpackers heaven, with lots of international cuisine restaurants at very reasonable rates. You can also get accommodations here at throw-away prices (THB 200 ~ THB 1000) Great place if you want to chill-out in the evenings, has a few clubs too for the party animals! Recommended food place - Shoshana Restaurant, Villa Cha Cha, Israel Tourist Centre, road side vendors, etc..

If you want to experience the travel in a Tuk-Tuk, make sure to set the price before you take the ride. The Tuk-Tuk is as much expensive as Taxis, but since they do not have meters, the drivers tend to overcharge (Eg- a distance travelled by taxi might cost you THB100, but for the same distance the Tuk-Tuk might quote THB 200).

If you are a party freak, and love clubbing, you might want to visit "RCA". The place has lots of clubs/discos in a dedicated lane. The party scene here is insane! it is nothing like you will see in India anywhere. Recommended club - "Route 66". Amazing Dj's and very reasonably priced drinks!

Word of caution: Always carry a proof of identity with you wherever you travel. If you are travelling within Bangkok, I would suggest keep copies of your passport along with the visa page everytime with you. Keep the original passports at your hotel lockers or in your suitcases (any safe place), DO NOT CARRY ORIGINAL Documents!!

Every Tourist is entitled to 7% VAT refund on purchases made from authorized shops. So, if you buy a television or mobile phone, ask for VAT refund form from the dealer. You can get 7% refund on your purchases at the airport on the day you return to India.

PS- I think I should start a separate thread on Thailand travel..!

DevilsDoggie is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 12:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsDoggie View Post
Hi Rajdeep,

PS- I think I should start a separate thread on Thailand travel..!

You certainly should. It will be really helpful for all members planning to visit thailand.
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 15:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
. I plan to buy an LED TV, maybe a mobile phone and my wife will definitely shop . I will stay in Amari Watergate. Could you please help me with places to shop? Also, which currency has a better exchange rate, Singapore Dollar or USD?

Thanks!
Prathanum Mall is opposite Amari Watergate is a great place for the ladies. You could spend hours here seeing the wallet lighten . Can also try Central World or Big C (opposite Central). Central is HUGE with numerous branded stores. Big C is similar to Big Bazaar but twice its size and you can get some pretty good deals here. As others suggested at Panthip you could shop for IT stuff.

For TV's I went to Indra Market (walkable from Amari Watergate). There's a Indian store right on the corner ground floor which can give you a very good deal. The shop is owned by local but he has employed a couple of Indian guys to cater to us Indians. The store is not huge and has limited display space so you need to come with a model number in mind and he'll get it for you. Pretty trustworthy. During my trip last year I wanted a 3D Samsung TV and was very clear of the model number. I went to his shop and it wasn't in stock. Since I went to Bangkok first and then went to Phuket I paid a small token to him to source the model number. On my way back I went to his shop collected the set and went back to airport. No problems.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 16:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Since most of the shopping areas I was going to cover have already been listed, here's the ones we frequented
  • MBK Mall - a one-stop place if you are in a hurry and want to buy several items. Tough to do any bargaining out here. Electronics (on level4) are good (especially the add-ons/accessories), but they do not give much time to Indians.
  • Pratunam Plaza - Very good semi-wholesale market of non-branded clothes. Semi because they give you better rates if you buy in multiple quantities, but they do sell in single pieces. On the outright, this will look like a ladies market completely. But there are sufficient number of shops for men too. Jackets/shorts/jeans, etc. Go deep inside and you'll find several shops catering to formal clothes for men. As correctly said by @arup.misra, this place is enough to finish off all your shopping needs & your wallets. Quality of the clothes is very good.
  • Indira Market (Plaza) - Bags. All kinds of bags. We (read:she) had no plans of buying any bags. I was the smart one to suggest going into this plaza to have lunch. What a smart idea. Forget lunch, we ended up buying 8+ bags. Even today she cribs that she should have got more
  • Sukhumvit Road - Yes you read it right. The main road that has a metro running over it and packed with traffic even at 12 in the night. The sidewalks are transformed into numerous stalls that sell all kinds of stuff, especially the "kinky" stuff. Why wouldn't they, Nana Entertainment Plaza is just right at the corner. More on this later with images & details.
We had 1.5 days out of which we had decided to spend half a day in the malls and the rest sight-seeing Bangkok. However we spent all 1.5 days and part of the night doing shopping! And still the lady wasn't completely satisfied!

@DevilsDoggie,
You should definitely put up that TL. Or if it's too much of an activity, please atleast put up a few posts out here. Especially on the shopping aspects. Several TBHPians' better halfs would be thanking you for sure!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 1st March 2012 at 16:51.
ninjatalli is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nana Entertainment Plaza is just right at the corner. More on this later with images & details.[/list]
Looking forward for it. It is a big business - no doubt. It is also one of top 10 br****** in the world.

Pls do continue with your TL. It is very informative.

Last edited by idea : 1st March 2012 at 17:32.
idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:14   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Since most of the shopping areas I was going to cover have already been listed, here's the ones we frequented
Please do post where all you shopped in Bangkok. We are still interested in your experiences.
mtnrajdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

I am in Bangkok for the last couple of days and have been following the places suggested to shop in this thread. I feel Malaysia id a much better place to shop. This is a rip off
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I am in Bangkok for the last couple of days and have been following the places suggested to shop in this thread. I feel Malaysia id a much better place to shop. This is a rip off
Quite possible. But compared to India the prices are still better. What all places did you go to?
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 00:21   #56
BHPian

Hello

We are a group of 4 and we are planning to do a road-trip. We are thinking of doing Phuket-(DON-SAK)-Koh Phangan , Koh pangan-Krabi and then Krabi-Phuket by car.

-I wish to know how good are the roads?

-I think a basic sedan would cost about 1500 that/day or is it much more expensive?

-Instead of keeping the car for 5-6 days , is it possible for us to hire the car in the morning from one destination and drop it in the evening. That way we would end up paying rent for only 3 days.

-How long is the average journey time?

We basically would like to drive ourselves and would like to see the natural scenic beauty. I would just like to ask would the drive be tiring...i.e. lots of traffic jams, etc.

Thanks!
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 11:38   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Hello

We are a group of 4 and we are planning to do a road-trip. We are thinking of doing Phuket-(DON-SAK)-Koh Phangan , Koh pangan-Krabi and then Krabi-Phuket by car.

-I wish to know how good are the roads?

-I think a basic sedan would cost about 1500 that/day or is it much more expensive?

-Instead of keeping the car for 5-6 days , is it possible for us to hire the car in the morning from one destination and drop it in the evening. That way we would end up paying rent for only 3 days.

-How long is the average journey time?

We basically would like to drive ourselves and would like to see the natural scenic beauty. I would just like to ask would the drive be tiring...i.e. lots of traffic jams, etc.

Thanks!
Hi Ankit,

Just want to clarify a few things for you. Phuket is an island, which can be accessed using a car (as it is connected with a bridge to the mainland). However, Koh-Phangan is an island, which is way off the coast. You will need to park your car at the boat pier before reaching the island. I would not advice leaving a rented vehicle for a few days in the parking lot of the pier. What you can do is, rent a car on koh-Phangan itself for the number of days u stay there. Be warned that the roads on these islands are not good, it's rainy season and the roads tend to get slippery (they are not proper roads, just mudways).

For Phuket it is fine to rent a car from Bangkok and drive all the way. Phuket is like a small town, the roads are better than most other islands. I would suggest, taking a bus to most of your destinations and renting a car in those cities/island. This wil save you time & money. If you are coming on a vacation, don't waste your time to drive all the way upto Phuket and back.

The traffic situation is not good here too. Sometimes, it may take you 2-3 hours to drive 40 kms within the city (this has increased recently, because of heavy rains and flooding in some parts of the city). Driving on the highway should be fine and smooth, but you might encounter a few snags while approaching a town or village on the route.

Besides, you must have a international driving license to drive around. The cops here are cracking down on many cars and bikes driven by foreigners, to check the paper work (& get some under table money).

For driving instructions, you can use the google maps. But they are not 100% accurate, so be careful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
DevilsDoggie is offline   Reply With Quote